Super Pseudo-Knight

44 posts / 0 new
Last post
While not actually a Knight, this build uses tactics and ideas borrowed from mellored's Super Duper Knight, hence the thread title.

Level 30 build

Revenant (Half-Elf), Fighter|Warlock, PMC Paladin, Ceaseless Guardian
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Sorcerer-King Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Paragon Hybrid Talent: Fighter Armor Proficiency
Guardian Mindfulness: Guardian Mindfulness Charisma
Background: Born Under a Bad Sign (Born Under a Bad Sign Benefit)
Theme: Earthforger
PMC At-Will: Bull Rush -> Vengeful Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 30.
STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 18.

AC: 44 Fort: 38 Reflex: 39 Will: 45
HP: 188 Surges: 17 Surge Value: 47

FEATS
Level 1: Half-Elf Soul
Level 2: Hybrid Talent (Two-handed Weapon Talent)
Level 4: Squire of Righteousness
Level 6: Novice Power
Level 8: Acolyte Power
Level 10: Adept Power
Level 11: Versatile Master
Level 12: Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear)
Level 14: Mighty Crusader Expertise
Level 16: Improved Defenses
Level 18: White Lotus Riposte
Level 20: Impaling Spear
Level 21: Polearm Momentum
Level 22: White Lotus Master Riposte
Level 24: Ghostly Vitality
Level 26: Superior Will
Level 28: Arcane Familiar (Earth Mephit)
Level 30: Quickened Spellcasting (Eldritch Strike)

POWERS
At-Will: Eldritch Strike, Dark Beckoning (dilettante), Sure Strike
Encounter: Touch of Command, Warrior's Urging, Demand Respect, Flame Spiral
Daily: Armor of the Void, Persistence of Blades, Discipline the Unruly
Utility: Shadow Blend, Virtue, Stony Roots, Offering of Blood, Martial Supremacy
one more daily and utility from PMC that I have yet to pick

ITEMS
Enshrouding Candle, Bracers of Mental Might, Rushing Cleats, Feyslaughter Greatspear +6, Ring of Tenacious Will, Life Charm +6, Magic Holy Symbol +6, Bloodfire Elderscale Armor +6, Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier), Eager Hero's Tattoo (paragon tier), Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (paragon tier), Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold (epic tier), Laurel Circlet (paragon tier), Ring of Personal Gravity

Feats aren't in any order. This build is slightly incomplete; I haven't picked the PMC utility or daily yet. These powers can be from any class at all, so there is a ton of untapped potential here - I just haven't made the time to pick optimally.

Uses Squire of Righteousness to gain a Defender Aura, and then PMC+Versatile Master to gain Vengeful Guardian (the Berserker's aura punishment power). It can now play almost exactly like a Knight would.

Compared to Super Duper Knight

ADVANTAGES
Waaay better power selection. Warrior's Urging, Touch of Command, Demand Respect, Martial Supremacy, Virtue, Flame Spiral...

Has Dark Beckoning (and Warrior's Urging) to pull new enemies into the aura, at-will and highly accurate. So it's much easier to lock down everybody.

Martial Supremacy and Feyslaughter weapon both help ensure enemies definitely don't get away. Ceaseless Guardian means even daze and stun are ineffective; the only things an enemy can do to escape are to dominate, petrify, remove from play, or knock you unconscious (all rare abilities). They can try to knock you away, but forced movement is reduced by 3, and for one encounter per day it's completely negated.

A bit more resilient from access to THP and perma-concealment (Shadow Blend+Enshrouding Candle).

DISADVANTAGES
Doesn't really work before level 11.

A good bit less damage. Could reconfigure for this very easily with a Frost Fury gouge and Hands of Hadar, and end up about equal damage-wise. I like the Feyslaughter greatspear though - +1 attack, reach, and keeps enemies from teleporting. Also, powers help this a bit (Flame Spiral and Touch of Command both have absurd damage potential when used correctly).

The PMC shenanigans are something that would probably be houseruled out at a lot of tables.

Anyway, that's pretty much it, but any suggestions for PMC powers would be welcome. Since they can be from any class, I feel confident that there's some amazing tricks that can be pulled off, I'm just too lazy to try to find them right now.
What's stoping an enemy from shift+charging?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Nothing. I personally prefer flail with eldritch strike over spear so if they shift you prone. I will say that losing bull rush is a bit more iffy for most gms then losing the combat challange power you will never use. I would trade that at will with the paragon multiclassing.
Combat Challenge isn't actually defined as a power in the PHB, its a class feature. Bull Rush is at least defined as an At-Will power in the RC.
ah, i was looking in the compendium, which states "In addition, you gain the Combat Challenge power." in the combat challenge section, and has
Combat Challenge

At-Will        Martial, Weapon
Immediate Interrupt      Melee

Effect: Whenever an enemy marked by you is adjacent to you and shifts or makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy.

in the powers section.

The half elf hybrid paragon multiclass defender i built used warden/paladin as a base, so i had warden's fury to trade.

But how is he marking?

I mean, it works for the figher encounter powers...  But his MBA...  which he needs to use to riposte, won't help.

I suppose he's relying on keeping the enemy prone, and thus can stop a stand+charge....  But i'm not sure what the PMC is gaining then...

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

he isnt marking, he has a defender aura from the paladin multiclass and has taken the berserker aura punishment feature.
he isnt marking, he has a defender aura from the paladin multiclass and has taken the berserker aura punishment feature.

Ah.. that's what i was missing.  

guides
Power
my builds

ah, i was looking in the compendium, which states "In addition, you gain the Combat Challenge power." in the combat challenge section, and has
Combat Challenge

At-Will        Martial, Weapon
Immediate Interrupt      Melee

Effect: Whenever an enemy marked by you is adjacent to you and shifts or makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy.

in the powers section.

The half elf hybrid paragon multiclass defender i built used warden/paladin as a base, so i had warden's fury to trade.

I double checked in the Class Compedium article for the Weaponmaster and even there its still defined as a class feature.

Level 1: Combat Challenge
You are a weaponmaster, a warrior who commands the battlefield through prowess and unwavering resolve. Each attack demonstrates your talent and the danger
you pose if an enemy ignores you. Whenever an enemy tries to disengage or attack
someone else, your swift strike demonstrates why doing that was a terrible mistake.
Benefit: Every time you attack an enemy, you can choose to mark that enemy,
whether the attack hits or misses. The mark lasts until the end of your next turn.
In addition, whenever an enemy marked by you is adjacent to you and shifts or
makes an attack that does not include you as a target, you can make a melee basic
attack against that enemy as an immediate interrupt

wouldn't be the first time the compendium messed up. I would probably trade out sure strike, how often do you think you would use it?
Huh, I just was rereading the hybrid article and saw the cavalier multi-class feat and was thinking it would be hilarious to put on a Slayer, just for the Aura debuff if there wasn't a defender around.
Huh, I just was rereading the hybrid article and saw the cavalier multi-class feat and was thinking it would be hilarious to put on a Slayer, just for the Aura debuff if there wasn't a defender around.

Revenant(half-elf) slayer PMC for Vengeful Guardian, dillitante eldrich-strike + WLMR...

Yup.. i think that's a win.

guides
Power
my builds

Revenant(half-elf) slayer PMC for Vengeful Guardian, dillitante eldrich-strike + WLMR...

Yup.. i think that's a win.

OK, just got whiplash trying to follow but I think from reading the other thread that lead to this one I kind of sort of have an idea. Your talking... Dammit, won't work, Slayers have no daily attack powers to enable PMC.
For the Power Swap feats you mean? Doesn't need them. The feats say you CAN swap a power, not that you have to, and I think the PMC requirement is just that you've taken the feats.
I guess Versatile Master is how you have PMCed paladin for a Beserker power?

Nice job, this.  Very twisty-turny.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
For the Power Swap feats you mean? Doesn't need them. The feats say you CAN swap a power, not that you have to, and I think the PMC requirement is just that you've taken the feats.

Oooh. Damn, I'm going to have to work this out then.
But how is he marking?

I mean, it works for the figher encounter powers...  But his MBA...  which he needs to use to riposte, won't help.

I suppose he's relying on keeping the enemy prone, and thus can stop a stand+charge....  But i'm not sure what the PMC is gaining then...

Yeah, I'm not marking (as other people mentioned). I didn't notice how unclear I was being though, so I edited the first post to explain the aura.

I can't see any way for a Slayer to get both Defender Aura and WLMR (first requires Cavalier MC, second requires arcane MC)...but still, even without it, that'll be a high damage defender.

I wasn't necessarily trying to optimize this trick, just show it compared to your SDK build. I think a Battlemind could be pretty amazing as a defender: Lodestone Lure and Forceful Reversal are perfect fits. On the striker side, Slayer is obviously strong, but I wonder what can be done with a Hexblade or maybe even a Bladesinger, since they have access to WLMR.

wouldn't be the first time the compendium messed up. I would probably trade out sure strike, how often do you think you would use it?

Pretty much never, but it's required to have a Fighter at-will attack power due to the hybrid rules.

I can't see any way for a Slayer to get both Defender Aura and WLMR (first requires Cavalier MC, second requires arcane MC)...but still, even without it, that'll be a high damage defender.

I wasn't necessarily trying to optimize this trick, just show it compared to your SDK build. I think a Battlemind could be pretty amazing as a defender: Lodestone Lure and Forceful Reversal are perfect fits. On the striker side, Slayer is obviously strong, but I wonder what can be done with a Hexblade or maybe even a Bladesinger, since they have access to WLMR.

Good point...

Hexblade work great.  Since they already have a strong MBA (save 2 feats), impliment/weapon shinnanigans, and pact boon triggers on dead adjacents, so you should be netting alot of extra stuff.  Eldrich Strike has the advantage on being Con based though...

Bladesingers have a slide 3 to bring people into your aura, more defense, and bladesong....

The slayer would be +2 to hit, and more base HP...  compeitive...

Edit: Sorcerer (+ Ensorcelled Blade) is another option.. but i see how it's better.

And of course, hybrids.  Warlock|Executioner for instance. 

guides
Power
my builds

Anyway, that's pretty much it, but any suggestions for PMC powers would be welcome. Since they can be from any class, I feel confident that there's some amazing tricks that can be pulled off, I'm just too lazy to try to find them right now.

For Charisma Primary/Secondary Classes doing PMC with Versatile Master, I really like Hands of the Titan (Battlemind Lvl 10 Utility) for the level 12 Utility choice.  It adds Charisma to Damage for two rounds and gives you cold, fire, lightning, and thunder damage in addition to your attacks normal damage types. On Battleminds who usually neglect thier charisma in favor of Dexterity, its an often overlooked utility. However on your "Knight", it should be a nice damage boost.
If you're actually worried about stand + charge, you could try to fit Repel Charge in on a feat slot somewhere.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
If you're actually worried about stand + charge, you could try to fit Repel Charge in on a feat slot somewhere.

stand+charge AWAY...

so it won't help

guides
Power
my builds

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">I can't see any way for a Slayer to get both Defender Aura and WLMR (first requires Cavalier MC, second requires arcane MC)...but still, even without it, that'll be a high damage defender.

You can't get every component together on a Slayer, but even getting just the aura and punishment would kick ass - you can pick the slide effects back up with Flail Momentum, and the rest is icing - delicious icing, but icing nonetheless.  However, if you do go that route, you've gotta wonder why you're not just playing a straight Berserker...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true">I can't see any way for a Slayer to get both Defender Aura and WLMR (first requires Cavalier MC, second requires arcane MC)...but still, even without it, that'll be a high damage defender.

You can't get every component together on a Slayer, but even getting just the aura and punishment would kick ass - you can pick the slide effects back up with Flail Momentum, and the rest is icing - delicious icing, but icing nonetheless.  However, if you do go that route, you've gotta wonder why you're not just playing a straight Berserker...

But it's white lotus riposte that turns it into twin-strike.

guides
Power
my builds

Curious why you didn't hybrid talent for Combat Superiority for the bonus on OAs and the movement stop since, as an aura defender you will be an OA whirlwind (and it means you don't need slides/flails). I had always wanted to find a way to combine those two from fighters and knights.

I also wish you could squeeze in rogue mc, if only for an extra boost on OA damage, but meh.

Hrm. Brainstorming potential variants.
-Fighter MC cavalier. No arcane for WLMR, but you could go straight Riposte Strike dilletante. High Dex in heavy armor is bleh, though.
-Fighter|Rogue MC cav. Riposte, again. Get both rogue and fighter OA boosters. Makes both mob options especially painful.
-Fighter|Cav MC lock. Dill ES. Gives a million ways to punish actions. Aura OA with aura free action, riposte IR, and the occasional sanction power or fighter mark (potentially, but unlikely). Int/Dex can be ignored since armor won't be jacked by hybrid. Cav also throws on a freebie bonus to surges and initiative. (I like this one purely because it takes two bad options, hybrid cav and PMC, and potentially makes them OP).
-Other potentials would need the following elements: either fighter w/ superiority OR a slide+flail; riposte strike OR arcane class/MC+ES; hybrid Cav OR MC Cav. This actually leaves a great deal of room for potential 'knight' builds. Straight lock MC cav, lock|cav, anything|lock MC cav, (anything) MC cav with dill riposte strike with a native sliding power on OAs OR (anything)|rogue MC cav. Hmm. Lots of potential.
Curious why you didn't hybrid talent for Combat Superiority for the bonus on OAs and the movement stop since, as an aura defender you will be an OA whirlwind (and it means you don't need slides/flails). I had always wanted to find a way to combine those two from fighters and knights. I also wish you could squeeze in rogue mc, if only for an extra boost on OA damage, but meh. Hrm. Brainstorming potential variants. -Fighter MC cavalier. No arcane for WLMR, but you could go straight Riposte Strike dilletante. High Dex in heavy armor is bleh, though. -Fighter|Rogue MC cav. Riposte, again. Get both rogue and fighter OA boosters. Makes both mob options especially painful. -Fighter|Cav MC lock. Dill ES. Gives a million ways to punish actions. Aura OA with aura free action, riposte IR, and the occasional sanction power or fighter mark (potentially, but unlikely). Int/Dex can be ignored since armor won't be jacked by hybrid. Cav also throws on a freebie bonus to surges and initiative. (I like this one purely because it takes two bad options, hybrid cav and PMC, and potentially makes them OP). -Other potentials would need the following elements: either fighter w/ superiority OR a slide+flail; riposte strike OR arcane class/MC+ES; hybrid Cav OR MC Cav. This actually leaves a great deal of room for potential 'knight' builds. Straight lock MC cav, lock|cav, anything|lock MC cav, (anything) MC cav with dill riposte strike with a native sliding power on OAs OR (anything)|rogue MC cav. Hmm. Lots of potential.

Yeah, there's definitely a whole class of builds that can use this (until the at-will swapping is errata'd, anyway).

Combat Superiority only applies to opportunity attacks - not attacks made as opportunity actions. So the aura punishment wouldn't benefit from it, and polearm momentum is still pretty necessary. Wis isn't that high either, so I think Weapon Talent is more generally useful.

If you want stronger OAs (still doesn't affect aura punishment), could go with the Yakuza theme.

Also, high dex on a fighter isn't bad at all; just take Arena Training and light armor.
Purple Dragon might be a better theme for this.

+1 to hit is quality.

guides
Power
my builds

+1 to hit is quality.

But it's a stance, so it interferes with Martial Supremacy, which is way more of an accuracy boost (accuracy on the build is currently just under 98%).
Re: OAs, I'm a derp. I consistently forget the attack/action distinction. Someday I will learn :s But that does mean being a fighter is less of an issue (although a native slide+flail is essentially mando).

And +1 for purple dragon. Especially the non fighter/rogue variants, since they likely won't have a stance.

+1 to hit is quality.

But it's a stance, so it interferes with Martial Supremacy, which is way more of an accuracy boost (accuracy on the build is currently just under 98%).

Right...

guides
Power
my builds

Meh, I've yet to meet a DM who actually lets WLMR on an aura defender work at the table.  It's cool for TheOp, but in practice, pretty much a non-starter.
I haven't run into those that outlaw, but that's cause when not DMing, I play in organized type stuff, so RAW wins. That said, that does highlight some pros/cons to evaluate.

Riposte Strike:
+useable at level one
+potential for sneak attack
-requires 2 stats (unless you adept dil it)
-worthless against close bursts/blasts
-requires a second power to punish on OAs

WLMR+ES:
+needs only 1 stat (and one is con, good for a defender-esque)
+retaliate against all attack types
+native slide
+counts as an MBA, so your OA defense is also covered
+curse potential
-mildly steep entry req of 2 feats (especially in a PMC format)
-only available in paragon
-total nerf bait / runs against previously established nerf/RAI

Hrm. I love the elegance that ES provides (1 stat 1 swissarmy power). But with PMC being so feat strapped and the potentially looming nerf (or at least to avoid houserules), thinking we might want to explore riposte strike further as opposed to ES.
Here's a thought: try it on a Druid|Warden build.

Take a Half-elf Druid|Warden.
Starting stats 13 Str, 17 Con, 10 Dex, 8 Int, 18 Wis, 13 Cha.  Level-ups go into Con and Cha.
PMC Paladin + Paragon Hybrid Lifespirit Warden + Swarm Druid.

Feats:
01 Hybrid Talent (Warden's Armored Might: Lifespirit)
02 Staff Expertise
04 Squire of Righteousness
06 Novice Power
08 Acolyte Power
10 Adept Power
11 Versatile Master
+bonus Hybrid Talent (Primal Swarm)
12 Improved Defenses

The basic build is functional in low paragon.  Once you add Ruthless Killer and Hide Armor Specialization (retrain to Second Skin in epic), you become extremely sticky and hard to kill, because you've got Wisdom as AC stat (though this merely brings your AC up to par), Con mod DR vs. melee/ranged, defender HP/surges, and your aura punishment does an extra 2d8+immobilize.  Oh, and you can second wind+shift Wis squares+give an ally a heal and save as a move action.

Powers:
At-will: Grasping Claws
Dilettante: Direct the Strike
Acolyte Power: Virtue
PMC Utility: Invigorating Stride
other powers can be whatever.

Interesting change up. Your sticky seems lacking, though, since your punishment is just pure damage. And not that its absolutely necessary, but there isn't the mean riposte to defend yourself.

Also, you shouldn't be getting the second hybrid talent. RAW, the feat itself does seem to grant itself if you PMC, but, it also lacks wording explicitly letting you have it twice (unlike the wording specific to going hybrid paragon). So you will get 1 free hybrid talent, but you cannot take it again (or conversely, you buy it once and then you fail to gain the free one).
Interesting change up. Your sticky seems lacking, though, since your punishment is just pure damage.

Ruthless Killer turns Grasping Claws (which normally slows) into an immobilize.  There's your sticky.

And not that its absolutely necessary, but there isn't the mean riposte to defend yourself.

Yeah, this build doesn't have an at-will riposte, but it is pretty sturdy.  A set of Strikebacks would be nice.

Also, you shouldn't be getting the second hybrid talent. RAW, the feat itself does seem to grant itself if you PMC, but, it also lacks wording explicitly letting you have it twice (unlike the wording specific to going hybrid paragon). So you will get 1 free hybrid talent, but you cannot take it again (or conversely, you buy it once and then you fail to gain the free one).

You can paragon hybrid (thus gaining the extra free Hybrid Talent) if you're not taking a paragon path.  If you paragon multiclass, you're not taking a paragon path.  Therefore, if you're a hybrid who goes paragon multiclass, you can paragon hybrid as well, so you get a free Hybrid Talent.  Is this cheesy?  Yes, yes it is.  The rules are stupid that way.
Here's a thought: try it on a Druid|Warden build.

Take a Half-elf Druid|Warden.
Starting stats 13 Str, 17 Con, 10 Dex, 8 Int, 18 Wis, 13 Cha.  Level-ups go into Con and Cha.
PMC Paladin + Paragon Hybrid Lifespirit Warden + Swarm Druid.

Feats:
01 Hybrid Talent (Warden's Armored Might: Lifespirit)
02 Staff Expertise
04 Squire of Righteousness
06 Novice Power
08 Acolyte Power
10 Adept Power
11 Versatile Master
+bonus Hybrid Talent (Primal Swarm)
12 Improved Defenses

The basic build is functional in low paragon.  Once you add Ruthless Killer and Hide Armor Specialization (retrain to Second Skin in epic), you become extremely sticky and hard to kill, because you've got Wisdom as AC stat (though this merely brings your AC up to par), Con mod DR vs. melee/ranged, defender HP/surges, and your aura punishment does an extra 2d8+immobilize.  Oh, and you can second wind+shift Wis squares+give an ally a heal and save as a move action.

Powers:
At-will: Grasping Claws
Dilettante: Direct the Strike
Acolyte Power: Virtue
PMC Utility: Invigorating Stride
other powers can be whatever.

Hmm...

Druid|Runepriest would be a bit sturdier.

I had intended to go tactial warpriest... but i think i like the aura better.

Also, perma-stealth rogue with a defender's aura could be awsome...  Toss in yakuza for giggles.

guides
Power
my builds

Druid|Runepriest would be a bit sturdier.

Compared to a Druid|Warden, a Druid|Runepriest (assuming we're going with the Serene build) has fewer hp, an encounter heal (although Lifespirit Warden gives an ally surge+save when you second wind with Invigorating Stride), and Runepriest instead of Warden utilities.  Runepriest attacks will be equally useless, since you won't have much Str and you're in beast form all the time anyway.  If you're still going paragon hybrid, you might also free up a Hybrid Talent feat.

So Runepriest might have the edge, but it's close. 
Okay, I looked through for good encounter and daily powers (haven't worked up the motivation to tackle utilities yet, though the Hands of the Titan idea wasn't bad). Here are good options I found, each accomplishing something slightly different. Keep in mind that a "Knight" build will tend to have lots of adjacent enemies, who all stay adjacent.

ENCOUNTER
There's a number of good options, but the only one I consider a standout is Flame Spiral. That one's always strong, but with this build it's even better than normal. With 3 adjacent enemies (not a crazy idea), Flame Spiral+Quickened Spellcasting = at least 9 attacks/damage instances that round.

DAILY
Wall of Blades (wrap the wall around him; it becomes Flame Spiral but stronger, radiant, sustainable, and grants cover)
War Master's Assault (I can imagine that in actual play, the nova damage on this would be more valuable than these other powers)
Invitation to Defeat (mass pull AND constant weaken AND a good bit of damage)
Mind Rend (keep all enemies perma-dazed - particularly good because off-turn powers are one of few ways for enemies to escape)

Any suggestions for which daily to pick (and which utility)?
Perhaps something that reduces forced movement (pretty sure monks have at least 1).  It's a weakness.

guides
Power
my builds

@mellowship: you have one mob stuck, yes. But as ninja noted, 'knight' builds want to hold /many/ mobs adjacent. That was what I was making note of. Re hybrid talent: I totally agree you get a free hybrid talent by RAW, but unless a feat or feature says you can have it twice, you don't get any benefit from getting it a second time. PMC specifically says you can take it if you already have it. The special text in hybrid talent does not. It merely gives stipulations on how to get it for free. Lacking wording that let's you benefit from it twice, you don't get it twice. It would be similiar to any number of class, pp, or theme features that grant a feat for free. If you already have the feat it grants, you cant get it twice (unless it is a feat you can have twice normally).
Perhaps something that reduces forced movement (pretty sure monks have at least 1).  It's a weakness.

Oh man, good point, I totally forgot the major Knight weakness...

Okay, few things I found to counteract it that wouldn't be all that expensive:
theme: earthforger (level 10 feature reduces forced movement by 1)
feat: roll with it (shift back after forced movement)
feat: arcane familiar (earth mephit reduces forced movement by 1)
ring: ring of personal gravity (reduce forced movement by 1)
utility: stand fast (minor action, can't be moved or knocked prone until EoNT)
utility: grasp the wind (immediate interrupt, cancel forced movement and allow a shift)
utility: stony roots (daily, immune to forced movement for whole encounter, and saves vs. prone)
utility: iron aspect of dispater (minor action, resist 5 and ignore forced movement until EoNT)

Taking Earthforger as the theme is an easy swap. Trading out Lasting Frost for Arcane Familiar is totally okay with me as well (not really focused on damage).

I'm thinking on this build Ethereal Sidestep is actually not as valuable as it is for pretty much everyone else, especially since I've only boosted it to 2. So trade that for Stony Roots, and trade Ring of Retreat for a Ring of Personal Gravity.

That gives -3 to all forced movement, and a daily utility to completely negate it all encounter (for the occasional battles with very high FM enemies). And the PMC utility is still open.
Then i suggest some forced movement to help clump people.
Or something to counteract slow/immobilize/range dificency.  (forced movement still works).

Shaman have a slide 3 as a minor.  No save or anything, just one creature slide 3.  (might be ranged though...)

guides
Power
my builds

Sign In to post comments