Newish player wanting to learn about archetypes and formats

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Being a newish player to Magic, and having only started collecting cards from Mirrodin Besieged on, I am left with a few questions. I know the formats, and what sets/cards can be included in each one, but I don't know any of the deck archetypes from anything past Standard right now. What I want to know is if there is any way I can read or learn about all the archetypes from a format like Modern. Or Legacy. Or if there is any way I can read/learn about the more powerful decks or fun decks from different times in Magic. A few examples of the archetypes/decks I have heard about and want to learn about: Tron deck, Zoo deck, Splinter Twin deck, Loam deck, Affinity, Birthing Pod. (whatare they, how do they play? what are the bombs in the decks or the combos in the decks?

Does anyone know where I can find that information?

Thank you
Most commonly known decks names are based on either card(s) or mechanics

Cards name decks :
Splinter Twin, Loam and Birthing Pod are the focal point of their respective decks.

Urzatron/Tron decks are based around the 3 urza lands Urza's mine, Urza's power plant and Urza's tower

Affinity is a mechanic that allow you to cast high costing stuff if you possess a lot of cards of the same type Blinkmoth infusion is an example, if you have 12 artifacts in play, it cost you 2 blue to untap all your artifacts. If you have 8, it's 4 colorless + 2 blue.

Zoo is called Zoo because it's filled with zoo animal kird ape loam lion, Wild nacatl

As for finding that information, google.... there's simply sooooooooooo many places where you could have found this information.

I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
One way to learn about the established deck archtypes in the older formats is to go to the forums specifically for that format, either here or on any of the other magic related forum sites.  On pretty much all of them, you'll see a sub forum at the top which lists out the various decks that are considered established in that format.

For example: community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7584...

One way to learn about the established deck archtypes in the older formats is to go to the forums specifically for that format, either here or on any of the other magic related forum sites.  On pretty much all of them, you'll see a sub forum at the top which lists out the various decks that are considered established in that format.

For example: community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7584...

Those are pretty out of date.

Let's say you want to see how the modern metagame is doing. Google something like modern pro tour top 8 decklists or pick a specific pro tour, like Lincoln or Philly. To get more results search for all PTQ or GP top 8s.   
My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
There is no modern meta game. Modern is played very infrequently and after every time it is played they ban whatever won.

You really cannot just jump in and learn 15 years worth of decks instantly. Each standard season had a dominate deck or three. We have now had what 35 or so standard seasons. The legacy, vintage, and modern decks are all seperate because they all include a greater card base. The eternal formats are also far more divers then the standard seasons.

Realistically your are looking at 100+ decks that have been or still are archetypes in their particualr format. It will take years to learn those, particularly since many of them are completely non-intuitive. The combo decks, control decks, and odd card intereaction decks (such as tarmogoyf in zoo, or arcbound ravager and disciple of the vault in ravager affinity) take even longer to learn.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
There is no modern meta game. Modern is played very infrequently and after every time it is played they ban whatever won.

You really cannot just jump in and learn 15 years worth of decks instantly. Each standard season had a dominate deck or three. We have now had what 35 or so standard seasons. The legacy, vintage, and modern decks are all seperate because they all include a greater card base. The eternal formats are also far more divers then the standard seasons.

Realistically your are looking at 100+ decks that have been or still are archetypes in their particualr format. It will take years to learn those, particularly since many of them are completely non-intuitive. The combo decks, control decks, and odd card intereaction decks (such as tarmogoyf in zoo, or arcbound ravager and disciple of the vault in ravager affinity) take even longer to learn.

This is incorrect. GP Lincoln was in the middle of February, had 6 different archetypes in the top 8, and nothing was reflex banned afterwards. 

The GP in Turin was just last weekend, modern format, and saw 5 different archetypes make it to the top 8, two of them not present in the last GP. Sounds like a solid mixture of diversity and room to play around with, but also with defined archetypes.

Show
It was one of the two archetypes not seen in Lincoln's top 8 that won Turin

My forum good deeds. Fortunately, left unpunished:
Show
"Incidentally, everytime you post in of these (mine or anyone else's) you have really great advice." -Tigerguy786 "Thanks Stop-Whining, your suggestions have been gold." -RedRollinS "You are probably the best person who has explained a certain concept to me so far, thank you VERY much for the information, it helps me out a ton. I can't wait to play this deck and use some cards for a deck of my own. Cheers!" -SpaceLincoln "In short, you good sir, are made of win advice. And I am actually going to be taking pretty much all of it." -jeremyc13
Thanks. I was just looking for information on where to find out about it. It doesnt matter if it will take me years to learn everything, I was just curious about some of the decks and how they played. I'll take a look in the respective forums.
Here are the top eight decklists for the latest Modern Grand Prix: Top 8 Decklists
Here are the top eight decklists for the latest Legacy Grand Prix: Top 8 Decklists
What archtype or kind of sorcery deals with life, beginings, etc.
You should be more specific, type in the card(s) that's giving you trouble by typing [*c]EXACT card name[*/c] without the 2 *

Like Swamp
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Sign In to post comments