need a good deck

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi i just started playing magic and need help with making an effective deck, please help.  I don't have very much rares or mythics so can you please keep to uncommon and common cards.  The mythics i have are                  elbrus the binding blade, batterskull, ajani vengeant, grimgrin corpse- born, drosgskol reaver, vorapede, garruk relentless, nicol bolas planeswalker, praetors councel.  I also have alot of dark accension cards and a fare bit of inistrad and new phyrexia but almost no core set cards.  Please help 
You can use this search engine to find tons of different deck : magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck_search.asp

Just type in the name of one (or more) of the cards you own and check out the decks that use those cards. Some decks won't cost much to make and some others will be quite expensive.

Hope it helps.
The best way to get any help is to put together a deck and post it here. Doesn't matter, if it isn't any good, we will help you improve it with the cards you have. That initial list will tell us much more about what kind of deck you want to built than you could yourself. But of course, telling us your thoughts about that list will help us, too. Don't forget to autocard and to put the list into order (categories such as lands, creatures, others and ordering each category by mana cost). To autocard: [*c]Vorapede[*/c] with out *s becomes Vorapede.

Also, with a limited card pool, commons and uncommons form the backbone of any deck, with rares and mythics just being exciting 1-ofs, which are not something to build a deck around.

My second community draft, with the format being Zendikar/Worldwake/Rise of the Eldrazi, is now entering Worldwake. If you like to draft, maybe check it out. We'd like to hear your thoughts on the picks.

CD2: General

My community draft experiment with DTK/DTK/FRF is concluded now. If you want to, you can check it out and maybe build some decks from the pools. I've already build my own take on that.

http://community.wizards.com/forum/limited-sealed-and-draft/threads/4206961

Once again aced the Rules Advisor test (Feb 2015). (I still make mistakes now and then, but who doesn't.)

"Simple questions" usually need rather complex answers, while complex questions often come down to no more than a simple "yes" or "no".

You have good mythics and can probably trade them for whatever you want to actually play.

These are highly valuable
batterskull
ajani vengeant
garruk relentless

these you should trade soon if you do not plan to use them in a deck right now
grimgrin corpse- born
drosgskol reaver
nicol bolas planeswalker

If you just wanted to make a deck with as many as possible you could make a fairly nasty green/white red deck.

Something like this should be cheap and easy,
4 young wolf
4 stoneforge mystic
4 pyreheart wolf
4 murderous redcap modify their power while their come into play ability is on the stack with conduit.
1 flayer of the hatebound
1 vorapede
1 batterskull
1 mortarpod

4 lightning bolt (or white removal like swords to plowshares if you have easy access to them)
4 power conduit ridiculous with undying and persist creatures. Also fun to put counters on germs.
4 oblivion ring
1 rancor
1 ajani vengeant
1 Garruk Relentless instantly transformable with a power conduit.
1 goblin bombardment

4 jungle shrine All uncommon cheap lands
4 llanowar reborn
4 Rith's Grove
4 naya panorama
4 forest
2 mountain
2 plains

Note that the only rare you are really needing is stoneforge mystic. She is high priced but you absolutley need them if you are ever going to use your batterskull. She is also dropping in price rapidly since she has rotated and been banned in several formats. If you can ever find her at the 5 dollar mark get 4 of them.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
You have good mythics and can probably trade them for whatever you want to actually play.

These are highly valuable
batterskull
ajani vengeant
garruk relentless

these you should trade soon if you do not plan to use them in a deck right now
grimgrin corpse- born
drosgskol reaver
nicol bolas planeswalker

If you just wanted to make a deck with as many as possible you could make a fairly nasty green/white red deck.

Something like this should be cheap and easy,
4 young wolf
4 stoneforge mystic
4 pyreheart wolf
4 murderous redcap modify their power while their come into play ability is on the stack with conduit.
1 flayer of the hatebound
1 vorapede
1 batterskull
1 mortarpod

4 lightning bolt (or white removal like swords to plowshares if you have easy access to them)
4 power conduit ridiculous with undying and persist creatures. Also fun to put counters on germs.
4 oblivion ring
1 rancor
1 ajani vengeant
1 Garruk Relentless instantly transformable with a power conduit.
1 goblin bombardment

4 jungle shrine All uncommon cheap lands
4 llanowar reborn
4 Rith's Grove
4 naya panorama
4 forest
2 mountain
2 plains

Note that the only rare you are really needing is stoneforge mystic. She is high priced but you absolutley need them if you are ever going to use your batterskull. She is also dropping in price rapidly since she has rotated and been banned in several formats. If you can ever find her at the 5 dollar mark get 4 of them.

I don't see a NEED to necessarily trade any of those four any time soon.  I don't see the price values for grimgrin or drogskol reaver going anywhere, I think they're stabilized.  While Vorapede's price probably won't go up again, I doubt it will go down very much either until it rotates out of standard in September 2013.  As for Nicky, his price isn't going anywhere.  The only rotating format that he is legal in right now (which is the primary driver for price changes) is Extended and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe he's used much there.  However trading cards does cut the price of the game by a considerable amount, so if you don't plan to use them, trading them for stuff you want is a great way to save cash.

Skeindubh does have a good reasonably cheap (~$55) deck there.  The only real expensive card in it outside of the mythics you already own are the stoneforge mystics (~$8.50 each).  I do have one question though.  Why Sword of the Meek?  I don't see any artifact sac outlets?

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Sign In to post comments