Close the Thicket?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
It was brought up in the EPotM thread and I wanted to discuss it a little more. We certainly can close the thicket if people think that is the way to go. However, be aware I will not sticky the tangent thread if we do so. Also keep in mind Boards Business and Feature Suggestions are already on the chopping block. If traffic ever picks back up in General, the Thicket would probably be the first forum I have to reopen.

Discuss below and help me make a final decision.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
IF

Still, it does see some traffic

Guess what? Chicken butt.

I'm fine with it if Thicket type threads would be welcome in General for the time being. I think it would improve the state of the forum.
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
Nope.

Unless...

We get two ironclad promises from WotC:

1) to let us reopen the Thicket if wanted. 

2) they allow us to put most any off topic thread in General.

We had to fight hard to get the Thicket originally and that was with WizO suport at the time.  Then during the ORC revolution we had to argue again for the presevation of the Thicket. 

I do recognize that Thicket usage is low, and that it seems to be a legitimate request to close it.  Let's take our time about this decision, please?

EDIT: At the very least least wait until after the V4 release furor has died down...
Thank you, Erik.
Nope.

Unless...

We get two ironclad promises from WotC:

1) to let us reopen the Thicket if wanted. 

2) they allow us to put most any off topic thread in General.

We had to fight hard to get the Thicket originally and that was with WizO suport at the time.  Then during the ORC revolution we had to argue again for the preservation of the Thicket. 

I do recognize that Thicket usage is low, and that it seems to be a legitimate request to close it.  Let's take our time about this decision, please?

EDIT: At the very least least wait until after the V4 release furor has died down...

Theoretically, *I'm* the one that is supposed to determine the topic of both threads and boards (within the CoC, of course). Rest assured I will do what I can to assert myself on that one. And like Z said, I think it could help improve the demeanor of General if we can get a little playfulness in there. Control of the board structure seems a little less of an issue these days, as Mike seems to let me do pretty much whatever I want (if I can close Boards Business, I can do anything).

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
I vote to keep the Thicket.  It's not a logistical nightmare for one VCL to manage now, is it?
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

meh

Thinking about it, there's no reason to close the Thicket. Thicket-type threads could be allowed in both General and the Thicket. If we can get enough critical mass to get some sort of sustained Thicket type activity going in General (so much that it's obscuring legitimate General forum only threads) then we could discuss again what's best to do.

I've been thinking about social type activities we could do that are forum based and that could offer prizes. A MTGO Mafia game or games (don't know if there's still a Mafia forum, but there's no reason we couldn't do a MTGO general based one) is an idea. Do another MTGO Haiku contest. I was thinking Diplomacy, but that doesn't really generate much forum posting, unless the participants are motivated to get into character and post propaganda/diplomatic type posts.

I remember many years ago, Nush did a puzzle contest (that I thnk Bubba won, I came in 2nd, grrr!). That was fun, maybe he'd be willing to throw something together again, or even run the same one.

Anyway, if prize support is needed, I'm willing to make a small donation if I see other peeps stepping up. 
I can't spare a moment for the dog faced boy I won't lend another hand to the worm girl of Hanoi Don't deplete my oxygen for the guy who's turning blue But ask me, and I'll do anything for you
Thinking about it, there's no reason to close the Thicket. Thicket-type threads could be allowed in both General and the Thicket. If we can get enough critical mass to get some sort of sustained Thicket type activity going in General (so much that it's obscuring legitimate General forum only threads) then we could discuss again what's best to do.

I've been thinking about social type activities we could do that are forum based and that could offer prizes. A MTGO Mafia game or games (don't know if there's still a Mafia forum, but there's no reason we couldn't do a MTGO general based one) is an idea. Do another MTGO Haiku contest. I was thinking Diplomacy, but that doesn't really generate much forum posting, unless the participants are motivated to get into character and post propaganda/diplomatic type posts.

I remember many years ago, Nush did a puzzle contest (that I thnk Bubba won, I came in 2nd, grrr!). That was fun, maybe he'd be willing to throw something together again, or even run the same one.

Anyway, if prize support is needed, I'm willing to make a small donation if I see other peeps stepping up. 

I think I remember that contest.  He posted a screenshot of a gamestate and you had to figure out how he got that way.

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...

I think I remember that contest.  He posted a screenshot of a gamestate and you had to figure out how he got that way.

That wasn't the one I was thinking of, but I remember someone doing that too. Also, I think Emoticon (or someone else?) had some sort of interesting contest where he gave clues and people had to figure out what the cards were.
Personally, I'm in favor of keeping the Thicket around.  I don't know if it can ever be what it was, but I don't see a whole lot of positive to closing it.  It's not like there's many posts in here which would then be shunted to General and improve the traffic. 

In other news, it just occured to me that, although we've lost so many people over the years, it's pretty incredible that we've retained as many as we have.  I've been talking to most of you for longer than almost anyone I see on a daily basis - my future wife included.
Personally, I'm in favor of keeping the Thicket around.  I don't know if it can ever be what it was, but I don't see a whole lot of positive to closing it.  It's not like there's many posts in here which would then be shunted to General and improve the traffic. 

In other news, it just occured to me that, although we've lost so many people over the years, it's pretty incredible that we've retained as many as we have.  I've been talking to most of you for longer than almost anyone I see on a daily basis - my future wife included.

Don't forget - you're here forever! Even though many people clearly aren't. Congratulations on the engagement!
Regarding the Tthicket, I personally don't see the point in even trying to start threads. In the last few years, whenever I've started one it goes nowhere. Almost no one seems willing to engage their imagination for a minute and start a new thread on their own. To me it's just a depressing reminder of when the Boards were more fun.

Yeah, I could put aside my apathy and try, but it makes me feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football Lucy is holding. 

I didn't realize the marriage laws for prisoners where you live were so relaxed ...

That proves that you're in that group-which-shall-not-be-named.

or not

whatever

/me shrugs @'s
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

I didn't realize the marriage laws for prisoners where you live were so relaxed ...

We're only prisoners of our love.  And Magic.  She plays way more Magic than I do.  Case in point, when MOPR rewards showed up, she was all excited by her new stuff and saying she wished she'd done just a bit more to get the Serra Ascendent.  She asks me "what'd you get?" Me: "A couple lands".

I found a keeper.

We're only prisoners of our love.  And Magic.  She plays way more Magic than I do.  Case in point, when MOPR rewards showed up, she was all excited by her new stuff and saying she wished she'd done just a bit more to get the Serra Ascendent.  She asks me "what'd you get?" Me: "A couple lands".

I found a keeper.

Wanna swap?

Just doing a light turn.

Sign In to post comments