An eldarin knight?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been playing an eldarin knight now for a couple of monthes. (MC'd Swordmage and went for Intelligent Blademaster.)
However, we just suddenly leveled twice this last meeting. And now I'm staring myself blind on the possibilities.

Current setup:

Henry Archer, level 4
Eladrin, Knight
Knight Feature: Shield Finesse

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 21, Wis 8, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 13.

AC: 23 Fort: 17 Reflex: 20 Will: 16
HP: 47 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
History +14, Diplomacy +9, Endurance +8, Intimidate +9, Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +1, Bluff +4, Dungeoneering +1, Heal +1, Insight +1, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +7, Stealth +1, Streetwise +4, Thievery +1, Athletics +1

FEATS
Level 1: Melee Training (Intelligence) (retrained to Intelligent Blademaster at Level 3)
Level 2: Blade Initiate
Level 4: World Serpent's Grasp

POWERS
Knight at-will 1: Feywild Guardian
Knight utility 1: Defend the Line
Knight utility 1: Glimmering Blade
Knight utility 2: Glowering Threat

We are going for level 6 now.

I see four possibilites.
Eldarin Soldier (Will be using a longsword if that is the case.)
Eldarin Swordmage Advance (This seems to be awesome, unless I'm missing something. - especially if I get Fey Charge on 11)
Master at Arms / Heavy Blade Expertise
Improved Defences

I'm also throwing an eye on my World Serpent's Grasp.. Because our DM really don't try to leave my Aura with Any enemies. There is no catch 22 in attacking me at the moment. So he just targets me first, and I usually spend my standard on doing full defence.
This pretty much means that I'm sticky enough as it is.
I need suggestions.

By the way. I'm going for Eldricht Knight as a paragon path. And I will not use Hammers. (The knight guides insist on those hammers a lot. >.<) 
First, it's ElADrinTongue Out.

One of my first choices now would be Superior Will just to help mitigate any Daze you face (if you face much). Then at 8 put another point in CON and take Superior Fortitude to mitigate ongoing damage at 8 or 10. Those are your lowest defenses and the nastiest conditions usually target them and even though it's two feats vs. one those conditions are important and your Reflex should be fine.

You "bought" a pre-racial 18 and are using a +3 weapon, so Expertise isn't a big deal, at least for a while. You're in one of the positions where if you never took expertise you'd be okay and you may not ever even notice it coming in to play in heroic.
Eladrin soldier is good only if you will use a superior greatspear. Not for a longsword

heavy blade expertise is a good option at that level. Eladrin swordmage advance is great too, but the combo with fey charge doesnt work since the 4/9/2010 errata.

at level 7 you can retrain a feat for martial cross-training (come and get it). This is my preference.

Hammers are great because they get the awesome-for-basic-attack-classes hammer shock and overwhelming impact in epic, plus inmobilize with power attack.

The blinker is a good example of eladrin knight (Staff of the Traveler for awesome teleporting)

My preference is going 18 str - 13 (15) int 13 (15) cha as stat array, with hammers and plate, because going swordmage for the basic attack burns you 2 feats, and there are lots of great feats there (vicious advantage, expertise, WSG, improved initiative, martial cross-trainning, improved defenses, superior will...)

Eldritcht Knight is allways very good path.

For the theme Iliyanbruen Guardian is very good, guardian is awesome too.
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
NB: Fey Charge and Eladrin Swordmage Advance have no synergy whatsoever.  The former expends Fey Step without ever using it, the latter works on the on the use of Fey Step.

Unless you're using Staff of the Traveller, hammers or flails are the weapons you should be using as a Knight.  The former have an excellent Power Strike benefit, and the insanely good feat Overwhelming Impact at epic, the latter have the inescapable slide-and-prone vortex thing going for them.  Polearms used to have something going for them, but Flails do the same now with less investment.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
About a month ago, I found a nice item independent version of the blinker.
I can't seem to find it anymore.
Anyone got a link? The search function is not of any help to me atm. XD 
IIRC, the only way to have at-will teleport beside Staff of the Traveler is Ethereal Sidestep, which means MC Warlock and power-swap. But you can't do that :P
Otherwise, I think there's an Epic feat for Eladrins, but nothing sooner.
Hmm.. Either way, my priority at the moment is finding something that makes attacking me a catch 22. 
At the moment, our DM simply charges me and starts beating at me.
Yes, that means I do my job as a defender.
But I feel kind of silly having all my tools, but not being able to punish them in any way for attacking me. For the last two game sessions, I use Full defense at least 90% of the time. Maybe getting 1-2 opportunity attacks from my aura per encounter. Which in turn makes World Serpent's Grasp a waste. >.<

I see one possibility, and that is raising my defenses even higher. Making it redundant to waste attacks on me..
Are there any other suggestions? Especially if they are synergizing with my paragon path. (Eldricht Knight)
I'm also unsure of which lv 7 enc wizards spell to take.
The guides seems to focus on getting Charm of the Defender.. It is indeed nice, but I really don't feel like it would supplement the character for anything it needs. Ideas?
I'm also throwing an eye on my World Serpent's Grasp.. Because our DM really don't try to leave my Aura with Any enemies. There is no catch 22 in attacking me at the moment. So he just targets me first, and I usually spend my standard on doing full defence.
I need suggestions.

Don't spend your standard going full defense. Spend it to attack....
The problem with blade initiate and intelligent blademaster is that you are stuck using blades.  Unfortunately you lose out on a lot of tricks.  This is not to say that there are not benefits to using blades, but the bonus to push/slide distance from bludgeon expertise or the prone on a slide from flail expertise really helps.

Personally, for knights, I think flails are the way to go.  By paragon, you have great aura enforcement, they try to move past you, you take an OA, you knock them prone, slide them 1 square.  Instead of moving past you, they have to spend a move standing up, and unless they have reach, you can make sure they can't attack you right away.

Lashing Flail = slide 1 on all melee basic attacks (including OAs, normally attacks, immediate reaction attacks, warlord enable attacks, etc)
Flail Expertise = prone on a slide, +1 to attack per tier
Dragging Flail = slide on a prone

Get a staggering flail, increase the distance you slide by the enhancement bonus.

Add repel charge, they charge you, you get an OA for being charged, you hit, slide them back at least one.  Numerous tricks.
I need suggestions.

I do sometimes. Depending on the situation of course.
But I normally suck up a lot of minions/monsters in my aura instantly. Like I said. The DM pretty much never ignores my aura and charges me with melee stuff instantly.
Getting in 2d10+6 (with power strike that is) seems neglible if I'm getting 4-5 attacks aimed at me afterwards.  
I need suggestions.

But I normally suck up a lot of minions/monsters in my aura instantly. Like I said. The DM pretty much never ignores my aura and charges me with melee stuff instantly.
Getting in 2d10+6 (with power strike that is) seems neglible if I'm getting 4-5 attacks aimed at me afterwards.  

If that is the case, then focus on utility powers that increase your defenses (or items):

Guardian's Defenses
Shielded Sides 

I'm sure there are more like this...possibly stances too. 
If you can survive until paragon, flails will be your friend.

Charged = Repel Charge gives you an opportunity attack(MBA)
Lashing Flail = MBA gets slide 1 added
Flail Expertise = slide 1 becomes prone
Dragging Flail = prone gets slide 1

All of the above would happen before get to try to hit you.  But the earliest the combo can be put together is 11, because lashing flail and repel charge are paragon feats.
I need suggestions.

Not really.  It's your job to draw fire, you're the Defender.  But it's also your job to do so by doing some damage; you're the Defender.

Particularly with minions, attacking them kills them.  Using Cleaving Assault kills two of them.

You should be pleased if your DM targets you a lot, it means your squishies are free to cavort around the battlefield slapping down enemies, and your leader can keep you going using your surges and his heals and buffs.

If you're not doing damage, you're not contributing effectively.  The quicker the enemies die, the fewer there are to kill you.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
The problem with blade initiate and intelligent blademaster is that you are stuck using blades.  Unfortunately you lose out on a lot of tricks.  This is not to say that there are not benefits to using blades, but the bonus to push/slide distance from bludgeon expertise or the prone on a slide from flail expertise really helps.

Personally, for knights, I think flails are the way to go.  By paragon, you have great aura enforcement, they try to move past you, you take an OA, you knock them prone, slide them 1 square.  Instead of moving past you, they have to spend a move standing up, and unless they have reach, you can make sure they can't attack you right away.

Lashing Flail = slide 1 on all melee basic attacks (including OAs, normally attacks, immediate reaction attacks, warlord enable attacks, etc)

Get a staggering flail, increase the distance you slide by the enhancement bonus.

Add repel charge, they charge you, you get an OA for being charged, you hit, slide them back at least one.  Numerous tricks.

If I recall correctly intelligent blademaster is not blade related despite its name.  I think it works with any weapon.

If I recall correctly intelligent blademaster is not blade related despite its name.  I think it works with any weapon.

Quite correct.  IB is STR to INT for basic attacks, no qualifications.  Works on heavy thrown RBAs too.
I need suggestions.

A defensive weapon might help then...  it gives +enh to total defense  (so a +3 would be a +5 to all defenses).  Fills out your catch-22 nicely.

Especially if you can prone if they ignore you.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Hmm..
Okay, I'm looking at a new approach then.
This is what I want.
And I need help to optimize it as well as it can be.

I want this character to be an Eladrin Knight/Eldricht Knight/Raven Knight that uses heavy blades.
No flails, no hammers.
Oh, yes, we are playing with inherent bonuses. No magical items. Item dependent builds is pretty much a no go. >.< Should have mentioned that at the start.

There are a couple of question marks though, and that is; what is worth it?

As for feats, I'm looking at:
Martial Cross Training. (Come and get it is too awesome to not get.)
Vicious Advantage and or World Serpents Grasp (Both seems to synergize kind of well. First hit = Slow and CA Second hit = Prone, Slow and CA)
Eladrin Swordmage Advance. (Not too sure about this at the moment though, without any way to get more Fey Steps, it seems a waste of a feat.)
Also, which heavy blade feats should I get? The knight guide is pretty lax on that, and every example build focuses on hammers/maces..
What feats should I go for if I want heavy blades? (I might consider light blades though, if there are enough arguments for it)

Stance-wise, I'm a bit confused. Defend the Line is a no-brainer. Unless I find a feat setup that allows me to switch it out.
At the moment I'm looking into getting Defend the Line and Glimmering Blade - and later Cleaving Assualt and Hammer Hands.

I feel as if I should get some kind of punishment for standing next too the character. Something like Urikite Warmaster Stance. But being forced into another stance for that is pretty meh..

The character I'm playing is like I said, turning level 6 now. and I'm not interested in a late bloom build. >.<
Sorry if I sound demanding. XD I've been staring at the character and feat lists for hours! >.< 
Wield a hammer or a flail, call it a longsword. Refluffing things to fit the concept is a cornerstone of 4e design. There really isn't even support for heavy blades.
I personally like Eladrin Swordmage Advance.  The way I see it, it turns your racial power into an action point, every encounter. For 2 feats, and if you were going Intelligent Blademaster anyway...

And I like Glimmering Blade stance for leapfrogging in the way of other enemies who have not yet acted in the current round.  Use your Feywild Guardian punishment to get a flank, then if you hit, use Glimmering Blade to either go back, or adjacent to other enemies (still adj to the trigger of course).

Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
C&GI is really iffy on an Eladrin Knight, since you really want to be using INT to attack, and you therefore need Bracers of Mental Might.

I found that it just wasn't useful enough in practice, and dropped it. 
Though it's far from optimized, and really, really expensive, I have a blast with dimensional vortex on my eladrin knight.

Between DV, ESA, the power strike teleport, and twist of space, she usually ends round 1 with 4-5 enemies in her aura. It does make her mobility mean a lot less for the rest of the encounter, but between a monk, blaster wizard, and sorcerer, the pile of creatures I create doesn't last very long.

While it's also definitely sub-optimal, there's some pretty neat staff implement enchants for melee use. Most notable is the staff of the serpent's +1d6 to all melee damage rolls which brings its proficiency bonus/damage in line with the mordenkrad, rather than terribleland. The crit effect on the Tempest staff is also hilariously awesome on a melee combatant, but crits are rare.
C&GI is really iffy on an Eladrin Knight, since you really want to be using INT to attack, and you therefore need Bracers of Mental Might.

I found that it just wasn't useful enough in practice, and dropped it. 

thats why I go with 18 str 13(15) int and cha.
Come and get it is really awesome and you dont have to spend 2 feats for intelligent blademaster.

Heavy blades are not the best for knights. The only good thing about heavy blades is gith sword+psychic lock combo, and you dont go that route.

Still, there are worse weapons than heavy blades
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
I found C&GI pretty meh in play, to be honest, as compared to Bracers of Mighty Strength.  But then; INT build.  If it were only one feat and no item, it might be worth it - but given that the best powers available to you for your PP use INT to attack, it's difficult to justify not using it on that basis.  You could take a non-attack power like Charm of Misplaced Wrath, but there are way better powers.

It's a toss-up - ESA is a ridiculously nice feat on this build, so you want Swordmage anyway; what's one feat to make your attack stat work?

Come and Get It is a great power, but I've not seen the big benefits of it in practical play - because you have to hit and pull to get any benefit at all, whereas the fighter marks regardless.  And when it doesn't hit, or can't pull, it does nothing, and even when it does hit and can pull, it does terrible damage, because no stat and no item bonus - and I usually found I could get more enemies into the aura by just charging, or using Twist of Space.
I found C&GI pretty meh in play, to be honest, as compared to Bracers of Mighty Strength.  But then; INT build.  If it were only one feat and no item, it might be worth it - but given that the best powers available to you for your PP use INT to attack, it's difficult to justify not using it on that basis.  You could take a non-attack power like Charm of Misplaced Wrath, but there are way better powers.

It's a toss-up - ESA is a ridiculously nice feat on this build, so you want Swordmage anyway; what's one feat to make your attack stat work?

Come and Get It is a great power, but I've not seen the big benefits of it in practical play - because you have to hit and pull to get any benefit at all, whereas the fighter marks regardless.  And when it doesn't hit, or can't pull, it does nothing, and even when it does hit and can pull, it does terrible damage, because no stat and no item bonus - and I usually found I could get more enemies into the aura by just charging, or using Twist of Space.

C&GI is meh for knights? is weapon vs will, the damage isnt low (-stat) and you can get 5-6 enemies around you, if you teleport first in a good position. Thats awesome for a defender, all the artillery and controllers and leaders in your aura. There is no discussion on this.

Swordmage path is not bad, but you need 2 feats, you have plate so you dont need max int, and swordmage multiclass give you nothing but arcane skill (the stance only gives you +1 AC because you use shield and sword as implement is useless).

Eladrin swordmage advance is not bad (1 extra attack-> 2 slowed enemies or 1 prone) but you are a defender, not a striker.

So your path is 3 feats for get 1 extra attack and arcana.

Going 18 str saves you 3 feats, your punish makes + STR when miss, have better NADs and you can get fighter encounters with feats (CAGI for example).

And having Int for wizard encounters, you get a 7th level or lower wizard encounter so this is not a big deal, and as you said, you can take Charm of Misplaced Wrath or other power.

*Shrug*  I can only speak to experience.  In theory, C&GI is awesome.  In practice, I found it a bit meh.

And I have actually used Swordbond to good effect in play.  Plus, Eldritch Knight lets you do attack denial with the Feywild Guardian teleport, which is better than STR autodamage.
*Shrug*  I can only speak to experience.  In theory, C&GI is awesome.  In practice, I found it a bit meh.

And I have actually used Swordbond to good effect in play.  Plus, Eldritch Knight lets you do attack denial with the Feywild Guardian teleport, which is better than STR autodamage.

Yes forgot that Feywild Guardian doent have +STR, ofcourse Feywild Guardian is the main reason to play an eladrin knight with this PP.

What happened to you when used CAGI? I cant understand why is not awesome in your practice.
I'd usually find it difficult to get into a position where it would hit more than a couple of guys, then miss the ones that weren't adjacent to me already.  I had bad luck with it, I grant you.  Equally, the damage is pathetic for me, because I'm using a Staff...

But in general, since I got shot of it, I've found myself much more effective at pummeling down the primary target, rather than trying to get multiples into the aura with a low-damage burst.
Hmm..
Okay..
I've decided to do what you suggest.
I'll go with hammers.
(Unless spears has enough support)

So how would you make your lv 6 Eladrin Knight? 
Cirterias are that it is intelligence based.
Since it will be an Eldricht Knight later on.
Plus, no magic items.

My own thoughts are still on either picking Master at Arms (or another +1 attack feat), Vicious Advantage, Unbalancing Shield Shove (The guide doesn't mention this feat), Eladrin Swordmage Advance or Improved Defenses.

As I see it, Master of Arms is a +1 to attack.
Vicious Advantage is in essence +2 to attack after I've hit them once.
Unbalancing shield shove is pretty much the same as vicious advantage, but one attack is enoug, as long as it's an OA.
Eladrin Swordmage Advance seems to be comparable to having another free action point each encounter.
Imp Def - no explanation needed.

There are a couple of feats I can't find opinions about though. Like the Strike feats (turning power strike into additional effects) 

Hmm.. Should I go for two handed btw? I have no preference here. But it seems that knights have a lot of default shield features.. Plus, the MC feat seems to only apply to blades..
If you go Int route (you dont need to, even if you will take eldritch knight) you have only to pick 2 feats (first two are mc swordmage and int blademaster)

I think World Serpent's Grasp is necessary, and you need the expertise as soon as possible. ESA can wait and vicious advantage is pretty good too, but there are other ways to get CA.

My personal order is (int route):

1: Melee training
2: MC swordmage, retrain melee traininginto int blademaster
4: World Serpent's Grasp
6: Bludgeon Expertise
8: Vicious advantage
10: Superior Will
11: Hammer shock
Looks solid, save that Bludgeon Expertise gains you nothing - you'd be better off with Master At Arms, or even one of the Versatiles given that you'll be having an implement attack at some point.
Sorry to dig up an old thread but i'm looking at Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight who wields a Master's Blade Longsword and Guardian Shield. I'm thinking MC Swormage for intelligent blademaster and perhaps ESA. Which would be a better theme Guardian or Illiyanbruen? I'm leaning towards Guardian but the other seems more flavorful plus i get to bring a friend along for the ride.
What other feats should i be getting?
1.Free Expertise:Master at Arms
1.Melee Training(INT)
2.Blade Initiate, Retrain MT for Intelligent Blademaster 
4.Unbalancing Shield shove
6.Eladrin Swordmage Advance( If i teleport into a group of enemies do i get the free attack against all of them?)
8.Martial Cross-Training(Can i swap for a Swordmage Power?)
10.Superior Will
Does this seem right. I would like to stick with sword and board not hammers.Yes i know that would be more OP but... 
4: Unbalancing shield shove is a waste. If you want CA pick other feats like Vicious advantage
8: By RAW yes. RAI I am not sure.
4: Unbalancing shield shove is a waste. If you want CA pick other feats like Vicious advantage
8: By RAW yes. RAI I am not sure.

Yeah, now that you mention it thats a total derp on my part. Defend the line stance slows, i don't know why i was thinking i didn't have a slowing effect.
I wasn't sure about the power swap. Is there a swordmage power that would be good to take with the power swap. 

Yeah, now that you mention it thats a total derp on my part. Defend the line stance slows, i don't know why i was thinking i didn't have a slowing effect.
I wasn't sure about the power swap. Is there a swordmage power that would be good to take with the power swap. 

Nothing awesome.

Dimensional Vortex (level 3) is awesome, but only usefull in the first round of combat, when enemies win initiative and you are still not well positioned. But you should optimize your initiative, and the power is ranged, so it provokes OA.

Thunderclap strike (7) is not bad too.

Nothing awesome.

Dimensional Vortex (level 3) is awesome, but only usefull in the first round of combat, when enemies win initiative and you are still not well positioned. But you should optimize your initiative, and the power is ranged, so it provokes OA.

Thunderclap strike (7) is not bad too.

It seems the CB doesn't allow me to swap out a Power strike for a Swordmage power. I guess it doesn't consider you an actual Swordmage in that sense but i am still able to qualify for PP and feats.

I know i shouldn't rely on the CB but that's the way we build characters in this group plus i've gotten super lazy when it comes to this sort of stuff.

I'm also wondering if there was any real reason for the power swap in the first place? Would it be better to just go the strength route and have the option to to power swap into fighter. I don't believe the Eldritch knight Relies on Intelligence so i won't be hurt there.

I could always swap over to a straight shielding swordmage and see how that works out.

Thanks for all your help and i'll probably be turning to all of you for assistance in the very near future. 
CB won't let you power swap out power strike because you are not allowed to. Normally, you can only use power swap on powers that you had a choice in taking. Since there is no choice regarding power strike, you can't swap it. But if your group wants to do that, that's cool.

Usually, yes, being a Str version and getting one of the crazy fighter powers is the better option. At the very least, it saves you a feat.
CB won't let you power swap out power strike because you are not allowed to. Normally, you can only use power swap on powers that you had a choice in taking. Since there is no choice regarding power strike, you can't swap it. But if your group wants to do that, that's cool. Usually, yes, being a Str version and getting one of the crazy fighter powers is the better option. At the very least, it saves you a feat.

I was thinking you could use Martial Cross Training To "lose" a use of Power Strike and take a swordmage power much the same as you could with your parent class. CB seems to say otherwise. I was thinking that by taking the Blade InitiateMC feat i was considered a member of that class but it would appear that this is only a qualifier for specifics such as taking feats and PP.
Sign In to post comments