4/3/2012 ReConstructed: "The Helvault Challenge"

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
So, for the first real outing I really like this. Looks at the value of each card, offers a range of suggestions, and makes a final build while explaining how you go to the numbers. If this will be the base formula I'm really happy.
I'm GM2, and I approve of the inclusion of Storm Crow in this deck.
This was great. I kept thinking the entire time I was reading it: "This is what I've been hoping Building on a Budget would be". It took a deck idea, examined which cards would work in that deck, then picked the cards that fit best and examined how many of each to run. My only complaint would be that it didn't playtest the deck, but considering how long the article already was, I see how that would be impossible. Keep up the good work, Gavin!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
Great article. I like how there's a ton of options on where the deck could head to, and I extremely approve of the inclusion of Storm Crow. Hopefully Chimney Imp will get his moment of glory soon as well.
I got 9/12 spells correct, and all of the lands except Moorland Haunt correct! Woo hoo!

Whoever submitted Bludgeon Brawl, good job.
Nice rebuild. I'm shocked, though, at the number of decks submitted full of EtB triggers but no way to sac/destroy their own Helvault!
For the submissions next week, does the deck we submit have to be mono-green, or just have green as one of it's primary colors?

All in all, a very great article. Informative, not overly complicated or overly simple, and as the first couple of posts seem to indicate, people dug assigning the numbers to the spells and lands as they followed along.  I did pretty well with the spells, I would have had more Spellskites though, but I didn't do the lands, because I'm kind of terrible at making mana bases.

Bateleur_  good call on the sac/destroy outlet. :D
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
This was great. I kept thinking the entire time I was reading it: "This is what I've been hoping Building on a Budget would be". It took a deck idea, examined which cards would work in that deck, then picked the cards that fit best and examined how many of each to run. My only complaint would be that it didn't playtest the deck, but considering how long the article already was, I see how that would be impossible. Keep up the good work, Gavin!

This, basically. Also, the final deck needed more Storm Crows.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I love the Steal & Dump deck.  The inclusion of Feed the Pack was spectacular.

But yes, this article was awesome and I'm very much looking forward to seeing future installments. 
That was impressive.  Are you going to keep up that level of output every week?
My deck submission:

Feed the Pack.dec (version 8(!))

Weirdly enough, the deck actually has issues vs. aggro. I'm shocked at that, the 4 maindecked trees are supposed to double duty as aggro hosers and excellent Sacrifice targets.
For the submissions next week, does the deck we submit have to be mono-green, or just have green as one of it's primary colors?

Send in any and all Standard decklists that include green cards. For this particular preview card, I recommend a mix of cheap creatures and a handful of expensive cards."

What he's saying is, he's going to preview a pretty cool green card next week that's going to have different levels of usefulness depending on the creature's CMC/P/T. So I'm sure he'll find a decklist out of the hundred we send that can make particularly great use of it. 

My guess is a card that gives a creature +X/+X, where X is the cmc of another card. (Either you discard a card, reveal a card, or sac a permanent, and it will use that cmc).
I enjoyed the article as well, especially the depth that Gavin goes into. Keep it up!
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

A small criticism - please ensure that all cards are 'autocarded' (I think that's what it's called when it's linked and you can hover over to see the card).

There were some cards talked about that weren't in that paragraph and I had to scroll up to remind myself what they do.

Otherwise, a great article. I don't normally read articles with decklists since they're normally very 'heavy' reading as I'm more of an infrequent player who doesn't know any of these cards by heart. Even when I play my own decks, I need to reread everything.

But it was really interesting reading through the thought processes and there's definitely some food for thought for me. 
Well, here's a deck I've been pecking at over the past few weeks. It has a fairly explosive combo end-game.

The advice of a deckbuilding article on SCG talked about looking for "mana engines" in any format. There's one in Standard I've wanted to see used since forever. 

Basically, Shrine of Boundless Growth has the potential to be a huge mana engine, but it is a bit slow/mid-rangey. But if we have a bunch of colorless mana, what can we do with it? I took a look at the best X cost spells in Standard, and one stood out to me: Genesis Wave

But then if we have a bunch of creatures coming into play... we would like a way to get them all to attack this turn, and enter our favorite under-used praetor: Urabrask the Hidden

So given Genesis Wave's focus on permanents, we need to focus on permanents, no sorceries or instants. Given we're in red/green, why not use a wolf-run shell? This gives us a secondary/primary plan depending on your draw, much like the TwinBlade of Olde. 

The Storm Crow joke was just glorious, and the article was interesting too. I may have a new favorite author on the site.
Rules Nut Advisor
I've never made an account on here before, but felt compelled to today so I could say I have loved this new column. I agree that this is what I was basically hoping for from Building on a Budget (minus the chance to see how it actually operates).

The deck looked fun, but I am most interested in your thought process. It's this insight, and your emphasis of basic concepts like strategy and specific numbers of cards, that makes me so excited to read future articles of yours. I guess it sounds strange that someone could be excited about it, but it's important to me for actually editing my deck ideas and making sure they can work. 

Also, Storm Crow!

Thank you for giving our most high comrade Storm Crow its due recognition, and this is an awesome article! I wish you had replaced JvL instead of Beyer though, but you are still now one of my favorite writers on this site.
Storm Crow is all well and good, but it'd be nowhere without its brother in arms, Herbal Poultice. In fact, I think that herbal poultice may just be able to replace storm crow, depending on testing.
I would've played 23 lands, chopping out a Seachrome Coast and an Island. In their place, I'd have up'd the 2 ofs to 3 ofs. I might have added a second Phyrexia's Core, axing a Plains or Island.

I probably would've taken out Venser, The Sojourner for another Fiend Hunter. I don't see many matches where Venser will be important; while the Fiend has relevance in many more matches. Also, where you aren't a fan of 2 ofs, I'm not a fan of 1 ofs. If its worth putting in the deck, why only 1? (Obvious exceptions being a way to tutor for it, or part of a split).

The sideboard is a great place for Venser. I think your card choices and split make for a nice selection of Plan Bs.

I noticed you make a point about the 3 casting cost barrier. I'm wondering how much you take the deck's average casting cost into consideration when building? If you do often, where do you prefer it to be around for the average deck? I clock this deck in at 2.86.

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green).

He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one."

I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago." ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************MaRo: During a playtest, I played a Reaper from the Abyss. I attacked each turn, while my opponent would chump block (he had a lot of fliers), and then I killed a second creature. This happened until he had only one creature left. I attack, he blocked, and then the following dialogue occurred:

Him: Kill your demon. Me: What? Him: My guy died so you have to kill a creature.

Me: Yeah, but why would a demon kill himself?

Him: I don't know. He's depressed there's no one left to kill.

Me: That doesn't make any sense. Him: I don't care. It's what the card says. I then take out my pen, and wrote "non-Demon" on it.

Him: You can't do that.

Me: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Thank you for giving our most high comrade Storm Crow its due recognition, and this is an awesome article! I wish you had replaced JvL instead of Beyer though, but you are still now one of my favorite writers on this site.

My thoughts exactly!
Deck blog: http://alurenrecycle.blogspot.com/ http://gureiseion.tumblr.com/

Genesis Wave into two Garruk sounds like pretty much the saddest thing ever.

Even without Genesis Wave, 4 of a legendary is pushing it, so 5 is probably too much.

Genesis Wave into two Garruk sounds like pretty much the saddest thing ever.

Even without Genesis Wave, 4 of a legendary is pushing it, so 5 is probably too much.

Psst: 
Reveal the top X cards of your library. You may put any number of permanent cards with converted mana cost X or less from among them onto the battlefield. Then put all cards revealed this way that weren't put onto the battlefield into your graveyard.

(Emphasis mine)

I can choose which Garruk to put onto the field.  
Oh, sorry, I should have checked. I would still go down to 4, but maybe that's because I don't really understand what he's doing in the deck.

I guess I hope it gets selected and we can let Gavin sort it out. 
I have a feeling it may be selected because the card he's previewing cares about CMC costs of cards. So does this deck. Probably just personal bias though. 

Garruk is a non-creature. He provides card advantage over time, especially against the Delver decks.

With Genesis Wave, I can plop down a Garruk, pump out a token or draw cards as needed, and if I got an Urabrask, attack with that token that turn.  
Sign In to post comments