Miniature storage?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was wondering if people could give me suggestions on storing my miniatures. Maybe some low-end or homemade solutions maybe, or cheap alternatives.
I use gallon freezer bags, and group them by type. Because I don't want to invest in any shelving or boxes.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

I was wondering if people could give me suggestions on storing my miniatures. Maybe some low-end or homemade solutions maybe, or cheap alternatives.

I have about 10k minis, and I store them all in ziplock bags (normal sandwich sized bags, mainly).

Empty coffee ground cans if budget is an issue. Cause cheep freezer bags can get holes poked in them by some minis pointy little ends.

Happy Gaming
I already have a cardboard box from an old DVD player. I made little sections with other cardboard pieces. I was looking for something other than those expensive cases.

Like maybe a tackle box, ect..

And off topic, how do you straighten little bent swords or spears, horns and spikes.
cheep freezer bags can get holes poked in them by some minis pointy little ends.

That's actually good, since it allows air to escape (allownig the bags to take up less room). I haven't been able to get D&D minis to be able to do this yet to regular freezer bags (D&D minis seem to be too soft), but I can sometimes manage it with regular bags or cheap freezer bags.

how do you straighten little bent swords or spears, horns and spikes.

Hair dryer (or hot water), followed by cold water.

Tackle box(es). 
That's actually good, since it allows air to escape (allownig the bags to take up less room). I haven't been able to get D&D minis to be able to do this yet to regular freezer bags (D&D minis seem to be too soft), but I can sometimes manage it with regular bags or cheap freezer bags.

Never gotten a good jive out of it. Cleaning up minis off the floor as your bag rips apart from excess damage isn't fun.

Also, if you're looking for a hole to vent air, you could always make one yourself prior to filling the bag up.
Didn't you ask this yesterday?  And didn't I answer you?  *shakes head*
I have about 10k minis......

WOW!!! I felt like I was doing ok with about 80.  Surprised

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Cleaning up minis off the floor as your bag rips apart from excess damage isn't fun.

Also, if you're looking for a hole to vent air, you could always make one yourself

Heh: well, the only time I've had a bag rip open is when I made a vent hole myself. Seriously: I use a lot of cheap sandwich bags for organizing miniatures, and I've never had a problem with ripping. Possible reasons might be:
1) The bags are so cheap that I don't overfill them (i.e. I just use more bags)
2) The bags are so cheap that I toss them if they start getting too worn.
3) The bags are so small that the weight of the minis inside is negligible.
3) The bags are so small that if one spilled it's contents I wouldn't register it as an issue.
4) I have so many miniatures that any given bag probably doesn't see extreme use (even though I use miniatures constantly)

That said: if I mainly used large freezer bags with lots of miniatures in them, and the bags saw frequent use, I guess I would eventually have ripping problems.

And off topic, how do you straighten little bent swords or spears, horns and spikes.

Heat water to boiling or near boiling. Put in the minis you want to straighten. Let them sit for 30 - 60sec then remove carefully. Straighten the desired part then put them in cold/ice water for 5-10min to harden.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a world just around the corner of your mind, where reality is an intruder and dreams come true.

You may escape into it at will. You need no secret password, no magic wand or Aladdin's lamp;

only your own imagination and curiosity about things that never were.

Sign In to post comments