Commanders, command zone & blinking

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello Rulers,

I just read on a different forum that when a Mistmeadow Witch exiles a commander/general, if that commander's owner chooses to put it in the command zone, rather than exile, the delayed trigger will still return it to the battlefield. Apparently, because the witch doesn't say to return the card from exile, but simply return the card, then it will look in the zone where it placed the card.

This is certainly not how I've played it, but I couldn't come up with a counter example. I thought about things like Endless Whispers, Blitz Hellion and Aethermage's Touch, but none of those can compare.

After some fruitless Ctrl+F-ing my way through the comprehensive rules, I am stumped, and come to you.

Thanks for the help!
The other forum is correct.

The commander replacement effect changes the witch's ability from

Exile target creature. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.

to

Put target creature in the command zone. Return that card to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of the next end step.
All Generalizations are Bad
Hmmm I suppose that does make sense.

Usually I am happy to discover a nuance of the Magic rules, but this time it affects my deck negatively so I am a little more bitter.

Thanks for the speedy answer.
My understand is this also works with It that betrays a commander would come back onto the battlefield from the command zome if it was sacced.
I just read on a different forum that when a Mistmeadow Witch exiles a commander/general, if that commander's owner chooses to put it in the command zone, rather than exile, the delayed trigger will still return it to the battlefield.

This is wrong. Mistmeadow Witch's ability will not return the commander if it is put into the command zone, because it is a delayed triggered ability. Here is the ruling.
My understand is this also works with It that betrays a commander would come back onto the battlefield from the command zome if it was sacced.

It That Betrays will return the commander from the command zone, because it is a leaves-the-battlefield ability and not a delayed trigger.

Exclusion Ritual cannot find a commander in the command zone, and its second ability will do nothing, because it is a linked ability.

Glimmerpoint Stag and Astral Slide will not return a commander from the command zone, because they are both delayed triggered abilities.

Knacksaw Clique, Momentary Blink, Distant Memories, and Guile all track a commander to the command zone, because you follow the instructions in order, and they do not specifically tell you to "play that card from exile" or "put that card from exile into your hand".
But Mistmeadow witch does not tell you to return if from Exile. I am not trying to disagree, I just want to know when that ruling applies
But Mistmeadow witch does not tell you to return if from Exile. I am not trying to disagree, I just want to know when that ruling applies

That ruling applies whenever it's a delayed triggered ability. Those will always look in the zone where the card would 'normally' go. If it's not there, the delayed trigger can't find it and will not do anything.

Mistmeadow Witch thus will not return a commander from the Command Zone.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Ha! Alright, thanks for the clarifications ya'll!
I hate to bump something this old, but there seems to be some disagreement on how this all works.
 www.dragonhighlander.net/Forum/viewtopic...

Is this still open to discussion, or is the other forum not [O] enough.    
Natedogg is the official Wizards Net Representative. He said that that is the way it works, so that is the way it works.
Natedogg is the official Wizards Net Representative. He said that that is the way it works, so that is the way it works.

Maybe I'm dense, but did Natedogg drop an [O] ruling on this somewhere that I didn't see?

Rules Advisor - 10/24/2010
I put the link in my first post. Here is the ruling again.
So I am just dense. Thanks for reposting it.
Rules Advisor - 10/24/2010
It looks like I missed it as well. Thanks all
This discussion was brought up again due to some of the cards in the new set, and we've changed positions. Cards like Glimmerpoint Stag, Cloudburst, and Mistmeadow Witch will be able to get the commanders from the command zone. Since each of those effects is looking for 'that card', it can find the commander in the command zone, since that's the first zone it went to when it left the battlefield.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Thanks Nate! I think that makes more sense, and am glad to see the reversal.
Natedogg, what about Astral Slide? Its printed text just says, "that creature," but it was changed to "the exiled card" to avoid confusion with the cycled card. It was just supposed to be for clarity, but is it a functional change?
It would indeed seem to cause a functional change in this respect. Perhaps a change to "that creature card" would revert the functionality without sacrificing clarity.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yes, the Slide was brought up in the discussion, since it doesn't match the printed wording. I don't know where they're at with the Avacyn Restored update, but it will probably be discussed when the time comes.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Will Sudden Disappearence be able to return a commander from the command zone?

Is the difference between Sudden Disappearence and Mistmeadow Witch just the word "exiled"?
Will Sudden Disappearence be able to return a commander from the command zone?

No.

Is the difference between Sudden Disappearence and Mistmeadow Witch just the word "exiled"?

Pretty much, yes. Sudden Disappearance tells you where to look for the cards it affected, so you look where it tells you to look and if the Commander doesn't happen to be there, then the effect can't find it. The Witch only tells you you're looking for whatever it affected before, so you look wherever that thing happened to actually go.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

You can choose to let your commander go to the exile zone instead of the command zone with Sudden Disappearance and then return it to the Battlefield, correct?
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin
Absolutely. The commander command zone replacement effect is always optional.
All Generalizations are Bad