What do you use to make modules?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Having become recently unemployed (like many these days,) I'm taking a bit of time to engage my passion (and see if I can make some money off it.)  This post isn't about pie in the sky dreams or anything - I'm an avid writer and DM, pretty much always have at last one campaign going - but I have no idea how to write a "commercial" module, like one seen on DriveThruRPG or the professional companies.  How do *you* do it?

For me, the writing side of things is less of a problem than the bells and whistles - maps, formatting, design, etc.  What are the programs most people use to get that working?  How do you turn a bunch of stat blocks and prose in a Word doc into a real adventure?
It can all be done in word, and then converted to a pdf document. Except for the maps. For that you'll need an illustrator or gimp like program, or if you aren't distributing it, www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.ph...

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

For formatting and looks check this thread:
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

His formatting style is (almost) 100% of that of d&d4.

How did he do it? No idea, probably a lot of trial and error in word. Maybe you should ask him if you want to copy his style.

Maps and graphics: hire an artist. There are many talented people who could create you awesome art, but they have "real" jobs and don't think of themselves as graphic artists. Ask around in your neighbourhood and you might find some good artists who would be happy to paint/draw you something.
For formatting and looks check this thread: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... His formatting style is (almost) 100% of that of d&d4. How did he do it? No idea, probably a lot of trial and error in word. Maybe you should ask him if you want to copy his style. Maps and graphics: hire an artist. There are many talented people who could create you awesome art, but they have "real" jobs and don't think of themselves as graphic artists. Ask around in your neighbourhood and you might find some good artists who would be happy to paint/draw you something.

The material Mantriel is refering to I have all done in Word, the program is quite powerful once you learn how to use it. All maps are made in Adobe Photoshop, but Gimp works fine if you want to download a freeware. As to picture material you will find a lot with just Google search or entering Deviantart.com where you probably can ask to buy the rights to use pictures from promising artist quite cheaply, or maybe even free.
If you want the template Word doc I have been using, just send me a message and I can hand over a temporary link for you.

/Myrhdraak
Thanks Myrh!  Those are all fantastic ideas, and I'd love a copy of that template you're offering!  Now time to become familiar with Gimp...a phrase I never expected to say.