CB on Android

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Has anyone managed to get the CB to run on an android device. AFAIK there's no official silverlight on Android, but I stumbled upon some forum talking about something called "moonlight" that's basically Silverlight for Android.

However these topics were all about getting some TV streams to run, I guess they didn't even know that the D&D CB exists.

But has anyone here been able to use the CB on their Android tablet or smartphone?

I am thinking of buying a table, but if the CB doesn't run on Android I think I will wait for the Windows 8 tablets

I sure haven't found any browser or plugin that will allow my galaxy tab to use the character builder. I am looking forward to one, so that I don't have to borrow a laptop just to level my character or add new items. Various Dnd apps have made electronic character sheets easy and painless to use and play. The only pain that remains is the CB.
I'm having the same issue. I have a Android Vizio tablet that I want to use, and I can't even find a way to save the character sheet as pdf file? I've also heard the "moonlight" rumor, but can't find anything. If you find something, post it here, so all us Android users can get in on itLaughing
I'm having the same issue. I have a Android Vizio tablet that I want to use, and I can't even find a way to save the character sheet as pdf file? I've also heard the "moonlight" rumor, but can't find anything. If you find something, post it here, so all us Android users can get in on it

Saving as a "*.pdf" is trivial.  You just print it to a pdf creator - there are serveral free ones.  It's a little bit of a wierd concept at first, bu instead of actually printing to paper it creates a pdf file.  A Google search for "Free PDf Creator" shoudl do the trick for you.

There is another trick you can do.  You can leave you PC connected and use a utility such as "Splashtop" to access your PC from your tablet.  Not really the same thing as using your tablet to creat and manage character using CB directly, but it's pretty close.

Of course WotC shoudl port the CB over to something other than Silverlight, but that is extremely unlikely. 
There will only be a port of Silverlight 5 to Windows and MAC OS (sorry Linux).  

Wizards may have to leave the Silverlight platform when Windows 8 comes out.  You can only run Silverlight apps in the desktop and not the Metro interface.  This is because the version of IE for Windows 8 Metro will not allow plugins per the change to HTML 5.  With the release of Silverlight 5 last year Microsoft has said they will not port it to any new platforms.  The image below shows the move to WinRT and the departure from Silverlight and .NET for consumer applications.  Silverlight is meant for Enterprise users and is EOL(End of Life) unless something drastic changes at Microsoft.  WP8 (Windows Phone 8) is moving to the WinRT and will leave the mess of Silverlight + XNA behind.  

Windows 8 Platform and Tools
There will only be a port of Silverlight 5 to Windows and MAC OS (sorry Linux).  

Wizards may have to leave the Silverlight platform when Windows 8 comes out.  You can only run Silverlight apps in the desktop and not the Metro interface.  This is because the version of IE for Windows 8 Metro will not allow plugins per the change to HTML 5.  With the release of Silverlight 5 last year Microsoft has said they will not port it to any new platforms.  The image below shows the move to WinRT and the departure from Silverlight and .NET for consumer applications.  Silverlight is meant for Enterprise users and is EOL(End of Life) unless something drastic changes at Microsoft.  WP8 (Windows Phone 8) is moving to the WinRT and will leave the mess of Silverlight + XNA behind.  

Windows 8 Platform and Tools

I'm running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and I have had no problems running the Character Builder (either the online one or the offline one.)  In fact, I was surprised that I didn't have to install anything extra to use the offline builder, so I guess it comes with dotNet Framework built-in, just like Windows 7 does.

Also, in Windows 8, the Desktop *is* accessible .. it's not just the MetroCrapps stuff.
Sign In to post comments