DOTP 13 - Not Happening (?)

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, long time lurker here  I just wanted to weigh in on the DOTP 13 speculation here, as there's a possibility that doesn't seem to have received much of the discussion. 

It seems to be a foregone conclusion at this point that there is a DOTP 13.  However, beyond the power of optimism, there doesn't seem to be a lot of indicators that this is the case.

Case for DOTP 13:
- There is a video released online by an anonymous person showing Magic art that is not in either DOTP game
- I want it

Case against DOTP 13:
- There were 3 years between 09 and 12
- The date that 09 and 12 were announced on has passed this year
- There is no indication from Wizards, Stainless, or any reputable or semi-reputable gaming site that it's even being considered

I'm addicted to following this forum, so I hate to squelch what's left of the discussion, but at the same time I personally feel a little better avoiding the disappointment that builds after the extended hope is dashed.. and hopefully others feel the same way.  Is it time to cut the cord? 
The KMRB (Korea's version of the ESRB) already provided a Rating for a game called "Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013".
The game exists (in some form). Wizards is just dragging it's heels promoting it.

Of course, they could always cancel it. But I'm not sure why....
Hey, welcome to the forums

Just wait, I think we'll get the announcement for Duels2013 at PAX East which is next weekend.

Even if they do not announce it there, I am sure there will be a new Duels game in the future.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Your missing 1 other reason in favour of them releasing Duels 13, it makes Wizards alot of money. Also why would they say they're stopping releasing expansions for 2012 if they are not planning a whole new installment because again expansions make wizards lots of $$.
Your missing 1 other reason in favour of them releasing Duels 13, it makes Wizards alot of money. Also why would they say they're stopping releasing expansions for 2012 if they are not planning a whole new installment because again expansions make wizards lots of $$.

I can certainly see this as an argument for releasing *a* new Duels game, but not necessarily that it will happen in 2013.  After all, DOTP 09 was a moneymaker, and it was 3 years before 2012.

The KMRB rating is certainly interesting.. I had forgotten about that  You can rule out the idea that it was a typo because of the date stamp.  Does this mean I have to keep twisting in the wind painfully??  I guess so..

Also, thanks for the forum welcome.. I look forward to contributing once there's something to discuss and speculate on

Duels of the Planeswalkers was released in 2009 (June 17th). Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 was released on June 15th 2011. So it was not 3 years but 2 between the two games.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Plus, as much as we'd like their promotion - releases - DLC to be formulaic, that hasn't exactly been the case. We were all looking forward to 3 full DotP'12 expansions like DotP'09 got, but that didn't happen.
i think there are more reasons to believe dotp 13 is coming out this year.

-dotp12 gold bundle.
-official announce of no further updates to dotp12.

another possibility would be not releasing any other dotp in the near future, which i doubt because dotp is one of the top selling games in xbox live arcade.
I agree that all the evidence we have available heavily suggests there will be a new game, probably fairly soon. From the intermittent communications there have been, I'm convinced work has been going on, just not on this game. I think they reached a crossroads where they could either put a lot of effort into fixing D12, or abandon it and put all effort into D13. It's clear what options was chosen. They probably didn't expect D12 to have as many problems as it does.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
But again, they reached that same crossroads with DotP 2009.
Very true. But at least they issued 3 bug fixing patches before they got to that stage. This decision to abandon before even trying to fix anything is beyond belief.
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Very true. But at least they issued 3 bug fixing patches before they got to that stage. This decision to abandon before even trying to fix anything is beyond belief.

Really? I called that months before they made the announcement. I don't find it the least bit unbelievable.
If they had a choice or trying to fix 2012, or making sure 2013 didnt have bugs, then ide rather they focus on 2013. Yeah its a shame 2012 will never be fixed, and its unpleasent that there are so many obvious bugs, but ive been there and done that with 2012. Fixed or not wouldnt want me to play it more, it has more fundemental problems than just the bugs.

Correct me if im wrong, but 09 was a marketing campaign that sold more than anybody could of ever imagined. Hence the 3 DLC's and the 2012 slapjob?

Hopefully 2013 will be a fully dedicated game, they can go advertise on IOS, there are plenty of untapped noobs there.    
If they had a choice or trying to fix 2012, or making sure 2013 didnt have bugs, then ide rather they focus on 2013.   

I'd rather they fix the product that I own, rather than expect me to buy more stuff from them simply to get a working product.  I guess that's just my view on the value of a dollar.  If I go to McD's and they screw up my order, they don't make me get back in line, make another order, and pay for it again.  Maybe McD's has spoiled me as a consumer.....  LOL

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

If they had a choice or trying to fix 2012, or making sure 2013 didnt have bugs, then ide rather they focus on 2013.   

I'd rather they fix the product that I own, rather than expect me to buy more stuff from them simply to get a working product.  I guess that's just my view on the value of a dollar.  If I go to McD's and they screw up my order, they don't make me get back in line, make another order, and pay for it again.  Maybe McD's has spoiled me as a consumer.....  LOL

So would i, but lets look at the reality here. 2012 has been out for a good while now, i wont guess as to how many months because tbh i simply cant remember, i bought it on day one and despite the bugs, i definately have had value for money.

Now, if there were two options which would you choose?

A) They fix the bugs in 2012, meaning they have less time to bug test 2013 which could lead them right back to square one

or

B) Drop 2012, as its been out for ages and make sure 2013 is the most solid reliable game theyve released.

You seem to think im overjoyed that 2012 isnt being fixed, it isnt acceptable that the bugs have been ignored, it isnt acceptable were constanty ignored as a community. But lets just look at reality, Stainless and wizards dont want to talk to us, thats their decision. At the end of the day this is their train set, they run it as they see fit. Should things be done differently? Yeah they should, but ive played 2012, ive been there done that and unlocked the avatar t-shirt. I dont want 2013 to be a repeat of 2012 and 2009, if to ensure it isnt a repeat they have to sacrifice the playability of an old game then so be it. Its not like EA who shut down servers so you cant play, and theyre retail £45 games!

If 2012 had been out a month or a few months then yeah, it should be fixed now but most of the bugs came apparent after the DLC packs which were towards the end of the life cycle for this game. Ive had my monies worth from 2009 i dont play it anymore, ive got my moneys worth with 2012 and im waiting for 2013. Ide rather all resources go into 2013 being the perfect game rather than fixing a few bugs on 2012 which IMO has more fundemental flaws than a few glitches and shroud bugs.

But as always im sure youll argue with these points, which is fine but if you dont see how short-sighted your views are on the long term affects of this product then im not sure what else you want me to say? Im not jumping around my room with ecstacy over how bugged 2012 is, but ill be mad as hell if 2013 is broke because they wasted time trying to fix a product that isnt as good as 2009.                     
It's a false dichotomy.  The third choice is: fix 2012 and release more expansions, and let the game have a full two year lifecycle, like its predecessor.

Now, if there were two options which would you choose?

A) They fix the bugs in 2012, meaning they have less time to bug test 2013 which could lead them right back to square one

or

B) Drop 2012, as its been out for ages and make sure 2013 is the most solid reliable game theyve released.

You already quoted and bolded my answer to this.   I haven't paid for 2013.  I already own 2012.  Fix the product that I already own.  Then you might restore some of my faith as a consumer.  I have 0 respect for this game at this time.  I have 0 trust in the people that handle it.  The relationship is broken.

Besides, as Kenrufo said, they can do both a and b if they really wanted to.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

let's look at the Corporate point of view:

Fixing '12 costs money and isn't likely to make them any more. A wasted endeavour.
2013, based on the success of the previous iterations, will sell hundreds of thousands and completely replace '12.

I'm not saying I agree that they should drop '12 completely, I would have loved if they had 2 more expansions where they sneak patches in as well. But imagine you and another employee walk into a Wizards' boardroom:

You say "fixing '12 would improve customer relations".
Your cold, greedy competitor says "forget '12, fixing it isn't going to make anyone else buy it. we've made our money off it. Focus on '13, the product that make us millions."

Who do you think the boss is going to listen to?
*whistles casually, subtly slides thread under a rug*
You say "fixing '12 would improve customer relations".
Your cold, greedy competitor says "forget '12, fixing it isn't going to make anyone else buy it. we've made our money off it. Focus on '13, the product that make us millions."

Unfortunately that's the truth, and it remain so as long as DotP sells by the bucketload. For all the regulars on this forum (and probably a good chunk of us non-regs), who won't buy DotP 2013, there's at least 25.000 casual gamers out there willing to part with their money for a new shiny Magic game.

Boycotting the game is fine, it just won't have any impact, and even IF the entire Magic buying community boycotted D2013, that wouldn't help, since the men in charge would simply assume this particular branch of their business is dead, and there'd be no sense in releasing another game.

In reality there's little we can do, as the road from an online forum to the decisionmakers is too long.

That said, I'd still prefer another year of DLC and bugfixing for D2012.

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />Unfortunately that's the truth, and it remain so as long as DotP sells by the bucketload. For all the regulars on this forum (and probably a good chunk of us non-regs), who won't buy DotP 2013, there's at least 25.000 casual gamers out there willing to part with their money for a new shiny Magic game.

Boycotting the game is fine, it just won't have any impact, and even IF the entire Magic buying community boycotted D2013, that wouldn't help, since the men in charge would simply assume this particular branch of their business is dead, and there'd be no sense in releasing another game.
In reality there's little we can do, as the road from an online forum to the decisionmakers is too long.

That said, I'd still prefer another year of DLC and bugfixing for D2012.

If that'd be true, that'd make this a sad, sad state of affairs. Because of the appalling stance of Wizards (and/or Stainless) and because of the target audience, willing to accept the situation.

That's exactly when I say there's good cause to boycott this game (or similar products). I don't care if it's just me and nobody else witholding their money.. it's a matter of principle. As a company, WotC should know to listen to their customers and deliver quality products. If they fail to do so and are wiling to play their customers in such a fashion, I don't want to support them and their way of doing business. If they don't respect me, I'm certainly not going to pay them any money.

Boycotts can work. They can fail, as well, but what it comes down to is what you find more important. A new (flawed) product from a company which doesn't intend to do much more than to uphold a veneer of quality standards? Or not spending your money and witholding them the profits you'd have given them.. and potentially even sending them a message by doing so. Maybe they're too stubborn to listen to customers.. so be it, you can always walk away.

Personally, DotP 2012 was my first magic computer game and I enjoy playing it still. Therefore I won't necessarily boycott WotC/Stainless for not making it a balanced and bugless product. But if they repeat the process with an upcoming DotP game? Well, I certainly won't buy it, then. I guess it sounds like I'm too forgiving for WotC/Stainless.. and maybe I am.