New Line of D&D Minis - Free I guess means something much different.

I just wanted to make a comment on this statement in the article:

"To celebrate the return of this venerable line, we're offering all our fans a free huge red dragon figure. To get yours, just click the link below. (Some assembly required.)"

This is a little misleading because you do need an active and paid up account to be able to download the pdf, so the word "Free" is a bit missused in that sence when being used with "Fans".  

I know that your intending it to be "we're offering all of our subscribers a free..." but being that the medium isn't print you should really reconsider wording of such things since the audience can read the actual blurb about this, but can't actually download the article.

Even if this is probably in jest for April 1st..  (of course it could just be bad humor that the April fools is that those who aren't forking up cash for subscription aren't allowed to download... HA)
Ahhhh… an April Fool’s joke that isn’t funny. Well played, guys, well played.

Nothing like getting everyone’s hopes up regarding a line of products you discontinued that most customers wish hadn’t. And to hit us with the paper cutout punchline? So awesome. I guess we are now short one miniatures line AND a good joke.
I'll look into that tomorrow at the office. I think the download was supposed to be open for all. (But since most of them aren't, it might have been coded automatically.)
Ahhhh… an April Fool’s joke that isn’t funny. Well played, guys, well played.

Nothing like getting everyone’s hopes up regarding a line of products you discontinued that most customers wish hadn’t. And to hit us with the paper cutout punchline? So awesome. I guess we are now short one miniatures line AND a good joke.

*sigh* I tried a few times to comment on this but just had to delete it every time. It's just not worth the effort.

I thought this article was funny, and I really love minis too. Thanks for the chuckles WotC.
I've built mine and it looks really cute. :-)
Man, I wish this were an actual thing.  I want to see an owlbear.

Considering the success Steve Jackson has had with his Cardboard Heroes line, I would have believed the article had it not been posted on April 1.

Now I need to go back and see if the dragon is actually downloadable yet. There's a recurring young blue dragon NPC in my HackMaster campaign, so I'm planning to gimp the download from red blue for his next appearance (even though he's a friend so they won't ever be fighting him; I love that my players were smart enough to talk first instead of attacking and getting themselves eaten).

EDIT: Yup. I've got it. Now to fire up gimp and put my digital painting skills to the test.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

an April Fool’s joke that isn’t funny. Well played, guys, well played.

That actually makes it funnier for some of us.