Responding... Boggled

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I'm getting a lot of mixed responses (Get it?) to this.

A 4/4 vanilla creature is declared attacking. At the end of declare attackers I respond by casting 2 lightning bolts to it, and kill it.

The real question is. Am I saying this right?

I respond, cast one bolt, and respond to that bolt by casting another bolt.

Or am I... Casting a bolt. It resolves after priority is passed. Then I get time to cast another bolt?  This is important to me because I don't understand where the priority is being passed. Can I respond to any ability whenever it is triggered or activated, or any spell when it is cast; including my own spells? Or am I responding to when my opponent does nothing? OR, am I doing it completely wrong, and when the opponent doesn't respond, the stack resolves and (on my turn) priority is passed to me, and on their turn priority is passed to them? 

If that's the case, how am I allowed to cast two lightning bolts? Because I respond during the end of attackers... How can I cast more than one spell? Or is this a time in which you simply cast spells and activate abilities? 

Thanks for your patience and time,
      Vexar 
Both are legal plays. The default tournament shortcut is to let the first bolt resolve before you cast the second one.

The stack is a zone - it doesn't resolve. Objects on the stack resolve one at a time. Both players must pass priority with an object on top of the stack for that object to resolve, and both players must pass priority with an empty stack for the game to procede from one step or phase to the next.

The active player gets priority first when a step or phase starts and when an object on the stack resolves. When you activate an ability or cast a spell, you get priority first.
All Generalizations are Bad
Both is possible. After attackers have been declared your opponent gets priority. If he passes, you get priority and can cast a Lightning Bolt. Then you get priority again (after a spell is cast or an ability gets activated, that player recieves priority again). Now you can either use priority to respond to your own Bolt with another spell/ability, or pass priority back to your opponent. If you pass and he passes too, the Bolt on top of the stack resolves. Afterwards, the active player (your opponent) recieves priority. He passes and you get it, to cast another spell or pass as well. Then the next object on the stack resolves. If the stack is empty when all player have passed in succession, the current step or phase ends and the next one begins. An empty stack alone does not suffice.

The stack never resolves, it is a game zone just like the battlefield or the graveyard. Objects on the stack resolve, one at a time, with all players getting priority at least once before the next resolves. Whenever something is put on the stack, all players get a chance to respond to it.

There is no such thing as "at the end of the declare attackers step", only "beginning" and "during".
Note that for a step or phase to end all players must pass priority with the stack empty. (without doing anything)

This lets you eiter:
A) Cast a lightning bolt, pass priority, then once it resolves play another lightning bolt.
B) Cast a lightning bolt, then respond to your own bolt with another one.

In either case the there was never a time that both players passed with nothing on the stack.

What you can't do is pass priority to your opponent with an empty stack (expecting them to cast something) then if they do nothing, cast your own spell.  Becasue in this situation both players have passed so the game automatically moves to the next step/phase.
MTG Rules Advisor