FR - Avenger of Torm?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, my group is about to begin playing Elemental Eye, and since we noticed it is set in the Forgotten Realms, our Paladin is going to be a paladin of Torm.  Also, we have a battle cleric using the Torm domain.  That leaves me as the striker, and of course, the best striker is the Avenger (IMO).  But Torm isn't about stealth and such, so it just doesn't seem right being an avenger of Torm.  Though a group of Tormites would add such cohesion.  I've read Realmslore since the novels started coming out, so I know Torm has undergone some changes since the spellplague and the death of Tyr, but even the old Torm doesn't really fit an avenger.  I'm thinking, maybe saying Torm is my diety, but calling him Helm, since they had close ties in 3rd and 2nd, but that still doesn't fit an Avenger.  Any ideas or suggestions about how to make a working avenger of Torm? 
Pelor don't want me for a sunbeam. No sunbeams aren't made out of me...
While the Avenger is kinda seen as a Zealous Assassin, you don't have to play up the "assassin" part.    It could be more like a weapon master whose devotion (to Torm) has heightened his prowess a bit.  Or if you still want stealth (mechanics-wise), but have a hard time justifying it you might try that perhaps your character isn't stealthy at all... and the hand of your god just happens to distract/give you a bit more luck with these types of things.
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
I'd say that the best build for an Avenger of Torm is the Unity Avenger in Divine Power. It emphasizes teamwork, which seems like Torm would endorse.
I play an Ioun Avenger in my main campaign and while I do have stealth as a skill I rarely use it in character. Think religious Judge Dredd: followers of vecna = dead, someone hoarding knowledge = probably dead, etc.  Whatever the ideal of the god Avengers seek out everyone who works against it and stops them or outright kills them.
Actuelly, I found a great article in Dragon about Torm that talked about a group of thieves turned pious called the Eye of Justice.  It really works for the concept of my character.  Although me and the paladin tend to but heads on how Torm would feel about some of the things we do.  Such is any religious institution, I guess.
Pelor don't want me for a sunbeam. No sunbeams aren't made out of me...
If Torm likes a fair fight conducted with vigor, you can still be an Avenger and ignore the stealth part.  Basically, get up and offer David-and-Goliath style challenges to the tough bad guy.  (Goliath's tactics and technique were related to an Illiad-era Greek warrior.)

Out of combat, offer to teach picked-on kids how to wrestle, help little old ladies across the street (by Intimidating the horse drawing the oncoming carriage), arm-wrestle to pay for the next round of drinks, race somebody to the end of the block "just because you need the practice".

I'm reading a collection of old Thor comics, and the gods hanging around Asgard / Valhalla might be a good role model for a fun character.

Best complements I have yet received

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

{BRJN} If Bhaal approves of The Joker, does he approve of Jack Nicholson's portrayal or Heath Ledger's protrayal more?

{Stigger} That question is utterly classic, and completely on target.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the 4e thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (now lost in that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

(News bulletin: Updated thread to be posted after I review the 5e DMG)

My 5e characters

Active:

none yet - gotta find a group !

Character Ready-to-go:

Erevyn Meliamne, Wood elf Monk1, inspired by "Radar O'Reilley" from M*A*S*H

Concepts I'm kicking around:

Barbarian w/Tough feat, to be nearly indestructible

"Truenamer" cleric - all spells are Verbal

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC / BBEG version is going to become a beetle version of a Worm That Walks.  (See the 4e Lamia.)  Because lichdom is so cliche.

Sign In to post comments