Planeswalkers Emblems ???

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
There has been a continuing debate in my local magic group and I need some clarification. Do Planeswalkers emblems stack? it seems kind of foolish to even have a plus minus ability that allows you to make multiple emblems if they dont stack. 1 guy in our group swears the emblems dont stack and that making more than one is a waste of time, the rest of us think you should be able to make more than one. we really need an answer to end this debate.
FOr most emblems it doesn't matter if they stack, but for a few, it does.

The effects from emblems do stack. So you can piling on the Sorin emblems without fear of wasting loyalty.
… and then, the squirrels came.
If they can be cumulative, they are.

Sorin's is.  Two emblems give all your creatures +2/+0

But multiples of Elspeth does not make your creatures more indestructible.
MTG Rules Advisor
so if I were able to make multiple vensor emblems then it would destroy 2 permanents etc? and sorins do stack thats cool, that was the start of the argument, we had a large table game going and my buddy had 4 emblems and one guy was arguing he could only have 1.
An emblem doesn't work any differently than any other object with the same wording would. They affect things exactly as identically-worded enchantments would, except that there's no way to get rid of emblems (short of Karn's "restart the game" ability).
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
thanks for the feedback and answering our question. hopefully it will end the arguments, thanks again
so if I were able to make multiple vensor emblems then it would destroy 2 permanents etc? and sorins do stack thats cool, that was the start of the argument, we had a large table game going and my buddy had 4 emblems and one guy was arguing he could only have 1.

FYI, Venser's emblem does not "destroy" anything, it exiles. There is a very large difference between the two, keep it in mind.

Players can control any number of emblems, that is all that matters. Not all emblems get more powerful when you have the same several times though, some "stack" indeed. The same as having multiples of Glorious Anthem stack but having multiples of Levitation don't...

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Just to cover our bases, having 2 of the emblems from these walkers will result in the following...

Elspeth, Knight-Errant - 2 emblems will do no more than 1 (multiple instances of indestructibility are redundant)
Koth of the Hammer - 2 emblems will do no more than 1 (the mountains will gain two instances of : deal 1 damage to target creature or player, but these must be activated separately, and thanks to the tap-cost it's useless to have 2)
Sorin, Lord of Innistrad - 2 emblems will do more than 1 (your creatures will get +2/+0 from the emblems)
Venser, the Sojourner - 2 emblems will do more than 1 (whenever you cast a spell, you'll be able to target and exile two target permanents - though you can target the same permanent twice if you need to)
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Quick follow up Q on these emblems.

Can they be destroyed, returned to hand, taken control of? Are they considered to be a permananet or more like an 'untouchable badge' for the player? If the PW is killed I assume the Emblem stays in effect/in play?

I know I could probably find the answer after some rooting around but I've got 5 quid says there'll be an answer posted a lot quicker than my Miss Marple skills can find one!

Cheers,
Bing     

Can they be destroyed, returned to hand, taken control of? Are they considered to be a permananet or more like an 'untouchable badge' for the player? If the PW is killed I assume the Emblem stays in effect/in play?

I know I could probably find the answer after some rooting around but I've got 5 quid says there'll be an answer posted a lot quicker than my Miss Marple skills can find one!

Cheers,
Bing     

The whole point of making something an Emblem (as opposed to an Enchantment Token or something), is that they arent on the battlefield, they arent permanents, they cannot be removed in any way (except by restarting a game, or moving on to the next game). Emblems go in the Command Zone.

~ Tim

I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

Emblems exist in the Command zone.  They are not permanents and no card printed so far interacts with them in any way.  There is no way to get rid of emblems once created.  Yes, they stay if the planeswalker dies.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
ah... i thought the original question was "do emblems use the stack"
Which i assume they do? and can be responded to? (eg kill before indestructible)
Emblems are never on the stack, they are directly created in the command zone. But the abilities that create them use the stack and can be responded to.
ah... i thought the original question was "do emblems use the stack"
Which i assume they do? and can be responded to? (eg kill before indestructible)

The abilities that create emblems use the stack.  They are activated abilities.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
The activated abilities that create emblems use the stack, and triggered abilities and activated abilities related to emblems use the stack as well.
All Generalizations are Bad

Make it simple: think of Emblems as Enchantments you can't destroy nor steal.

They behave quite the same.

or bounce, or exile, or sacrifice or animate or... pretty much interact with at all. 
All Generalizations are Bad
Just remember that Karn's ultimate removes all emblems.
Just remember that Karn's ultimate removes all emblems.

Actually, restarting the game does that. :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Actually, restarting the game does that. :P

And you would note Karn's ultimate does that, as per its rules text:

Restart the game, ...

It's also the only card that does that