Modern Izzet

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my current deck list ideas. I'm on a strict budget so Steam Vents are out.

2 Kiln Fiend
2 Delver of Secrets
3 Gelectrode
3 Wee Dragonauts
2 Tibor and Lumia
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Gut Shot
3 Mana Leak
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
4 Telling Time (subject to be traded out.)
4 Electrolyze
3 Unsummon (subject to be traded out.)

4 Shivan Reef
7 Mountain
7 Island

Any feedback would be very much welcome. Also I'm still trying to hammer out the sideboard so any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had an Izzet pet deck once. It let me down time and time again =( but I'm willing to blame it on pilot error =D

This is what I would do:

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Izzet Guildmage
4 Wee Dragonauts

4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
4 Faithless Looting
4 Vapor Snag
4 Spell Pierce
2 Runechanter's Pike

Gelectrode is awesome but he always (read:ALWAYS) dies before he gets to do anything fun. Add to that Dragonauts always dealt far more damage than Gel and it was kind of easy to drop.
T&L are not great. They can work in a specialized build but I wouldn't run them.
4 Delvers because you really want 7 cards in hand with a T1 Delver. Mulligans are bad; No Delver starts are worse.
Added some guildmages for late game shenanigans. Great when topdecking with lots of mana up.
Dropped Gut Shot for Lava Spike.
Dropped Unsummon for Vapor Snag.
Dropped Burst Lightning for Lava Spike.
Dropped Electrolyze for Searing Blaze.
Dropped Mana Leak for Spell Pierce.
Added Faithless Looting to shuffle through cards you don't want.
Added some Pikes because I like them and they work.

Burn blockers out of the air and swing for the fence is the strategy.

Sideboard I'd run Pyroclasm/Whipflare and Shattering Spree, maybe some Desperate Rituals for the Guildmage/Ritual/Lava Spike combo

Anyways, that's what I'd do.
I do agree with dropping unsummon for vapor snag. As for the rest I'm not as sure. Gutshot is a manaless activation for the dragonauts. Lava Spike is okay but Burst Lightning is more versatile. I prefer Electrolyze over Searing Blaze because my build isn't running nearly enough lands.  I do agree with Fathless Looting. As for pike I'm not as sure about. My theory with T&L was to use it as my main board sweeper after giving it flying. And in the last few days I have considered adding Kiln Fiend, or if I go with a lot of burn adding in Chandra's Spitfire. I do see why you said add guildmages. Especially if I choose to add in the Deperate Ritual Combo.  And the board sweeping isn't too bad an idea either.

I thank you for your input. You have been a good help sir.
If you're running Izzy and Lava Spike then you really want Desperate Ritual for the combo-off win, so definatelly do that.

You also need more instant speed card draw or something similar to play during your opponent's end step, both to provoke a tap-out against control and so that you don't run out of gas.
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.