Magic Arcana / Card of the Day / Daily Deck for April, 2012

108 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of magicthegathering.com's Magic Arcana, Card of the Day, and Daily Decks features for the month of April, 2012.
Doomsayer should have kept those awesome sideburns.
It appears in gatherer that runechanter's pike is called 'runechanter's pike (runechanter's pike)' which makes it appear as the back of a Magic card in the decklist featured today, not appear if I just type the name of the card in gatherer, and made it appear as the back of a Magic card in all the coverage that was run over the weekend. I guess I will leave it at that, that I figured this out and not someone who gets paid to...
I don't know why they wanted Thraben Doomsayer to be closer to a fire mage than a priest. It didn't happen.
I don't know why they wanted Thraben Doomsayer to be closer to a fire mage than a priest. It didn't happen.

firebrand n.: a person who kindles strife or encourages unrest; anagitator; troublemaker.
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
The new Avacyn, Angel of Hope is nice, but I would like more I she was named "Avacyn Archangel of Hope".
What a beautiful card for Timmy and Vorthos (although I'm sure Vintage/Legacy reanimator will like her as well). And what an utterly despicable marketing ploy to reveal it - "Use this antisocial media junk to generate a lot of free ads for us on the walls of people who don't have any interest in Magic but happen to be on your so-called friend list".
That's why I don't have a facebook.
First emo Jace, now emo Angel. She kind of gets away with it because she also has black influences, but please go easy on the eyeliner.

I have no idea what they did on Facebook (and, quite frankly, I don't care), but, hey, free preview.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
oh, I really hope stupid WR Ramp decks don't try adding this thing.  The last thing I need is an indestructable 8/8 angel partying in Kessig with indestructable (pumpable) inkmoths dancing around her while she's vigilently flying at my face.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)
Oh very cool! That'll be a lot of indestructable stuff. I was always afraid Avacyn might be :B:/:W: since her creator is himself. I didn't expect that they would go there but it was still a fear. But yeah, as has been stated, crazy amounts of eyeshadow for an angel.
oh, I really hope stupid WR Ramp decks don't try adding this thing.  The last thing I need is an indestructable 8/8 angel partying in Kessig with indestructable (pumpable) inkmoths dancing around her while she's vigilently flying at my face.

Ooo... Such a beautiful idea. Forgive me now, I have to do some deckbuilding... Smile 
Holy damn. What an ugly artwork for such an iconic card..
If WoW was made in the 80's glam-metal period, this is what it would've looked like.

Oh and the Trickery Charm sketches are gone.. Why were there no harlequins on Otaria?
What a beautiful card for Timmy and Vorthos (although I'm sure Vintage/Legacy reanimator will like her as well). And what an utterly despicable marketing ploy to reveal it - "Use this antisocial media junk to generate a lot of free ads for us on the walls of people who don't have any interest in Magic but happen to be on your so-called friend list".

Too mainstream I take it?
Oh very cool! That'll be a lot of indestructable stuff. I was always afraid Avacyn might be :B:/:W: since her creator is himself. I didn't expect that they would go there but it was still a fear. But yeah, as has been stated, crazy amounts of eyeshadow for an angel.

It also makes sense in the lore for Helvault and why Avacyn was imprisoned in the first place due to her own spell.

Of course, that raises the question about the demons imprisoned within the Helvault... Does that mean we'll have a lot of indestructible or undying demons?  That is, creatures that we'd want to exile rather than destroy?  (As well as why demons seem never to go away completely on Innistrad, and they seem to keep coming back until imprisoned...)
Regional Judge (L3)

No. Just mainstream enough to make a difference between actual social interaction and replacing it with a schematic, nonpersonal network of "sharing".
Well, it's been almost 10 years !

No wonder why  Avacyn feels like Akroma : check this out !!!

Agreed.

This is exactly why Facebook (etc) is stupid.  
"Friend" loses all meaning when people start innane competitions to see how many Friend Points they can get.  It just boggles my mind how local TV stations and companies can have a "Friend Us Please" spot/add when nobody actually cares.  

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Those ads were great. The Mirage one was clearly a riff on The Sandman Series, and also clearly shows its African inspiration. To this day, it is Mirage basic lands for me. Nothing has ever come close to besting them. 

The Ice Age one makes me miss the brilliant illustrations of old. If not for Melissa Benson, Quinton Hoover, Mark Teddin, and Anson Maddocks, I think this game would not exist anymore.

The Weatherlight one makes me want to retroactively sue for false advertising. Powerful cards? I bought a box and assembled a complete set of that stuff and hardly play with any of it anymore. That is almost like putting lotuses and moxen on the ad for Homelands.     
Best part about the Ice Age promo are the prices towards the bottom. Laughing
Each card in Unglued has a bonus word on its rules text line, which can be combined to form a bonus joke.

It's the copyright line, Trick.  Copyright.
Why is the prerelease information in the Tempest ad blurred out? Did it have contact information or something?
Did it have contact information or something?

Apparently so, seeing as the column that didn't get blurred out is a stack of phone numbers.

Please keep up the Arcanas with unreleased arts, or the one-time used arts like today's ads. For years now I've had that RKF Ice Age art from the back page of Scrye in my trade binder. Love the RKF.

No. Just mainstream enough to make a difference between actual social interaction and replacing it with a schematic, nonpersonal network of "sharing".

Hey, it worked, though. There's nothing really wrong with fb, you get to actually keep up with old friends.
The Weatherlight one makes me want to retroactively sue for false advertising. Powerful cards? I bought a box and assembled a complete set of that stuff and hardly play with any of it anymore. That is almost like putting lotuses and moxen on the ad for Homelands.     

Agreed, came here to say I love a good low cost flyer, and Avizoa is pretty busted at 2/2 for 4cmc. WHEN WILL THEY LEARN TO STOP PRINTING SUCH POWERFUL CARDS?!
I think this is the first art quiz that I got all the answers right on. I guess the fact that half of them were Innistrad block and in fact only one card was from before I started playing helped with that.
blah blah metal lyrics
Haters gonna hate, but I'm pumped for DotP2013.  Love that game as a way to play with friends who aren't hardcore enough for MTGO.  Also noticed this line:

This week's wallpaper features the horns of Nicol Bolas from Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 and the Magic 2013 Core Set. Enjoy 

Does this mean that Nicol will be the symbol for 2013?
So Nicky has been officially promoted to MTG's 'Skeletor', huh?

Well, he was always the villain that all the story geeks went nuts over, before he turned mainstream (and rightly so, as the Tetsuo Umezawa books were among the best MtG books I've read). Personally, though, I kind of like it that they're building a rogue's gallery of sorts. I'm just waiting for the Eldrazi and the Phyrexians to return.

But, hey, Nicol Bolas in M13 is still a pretty big announcement, and it could very well mean we get multicoloured cards.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
and it could very well mean we get multicoloured cards.

Yay Skeletor! Whoo hoo!

But, hey, Nicol Bolas in M13 is still a pretty big announcement, and it could very well mean we get multicoloured cards.

I hope it means we get multicolored cards in core set. Maybe they'll introduce all-new planeswalkers as well to make a cycle of five arc-colored planeswalkers? But, most likely Bolas will be a 6th planeswalker to act as the villain focus and they'll make team cards or something. Worst-case scenario: they stick Bolas into just one color (most likely black).

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

This time for Duels of the Planeswalkers, I hope they actually get the rules correct! I remember playing a Woebringer Demon to get rid of an opponent's Simic Skyswallower which was his only creature in play. When he was supposed to sacrifice it, instead he couldn't because the game was designed poorly (perhaps thinking shroud got around sacrificing effects) and I had to sacrifice my Woebringer Demon instead. I looked over to my friend and said, "Really? Really now? Wow." Another time, I was playing two headed giant with my friend on my team. Our opponents each had an Underworld Dreams in play, pinging us for 1 each every draw. I played a Heartwood Storyteller because we needed blockers. Heartwood Storyteller says that you MAY draw a card, but instead we HAD to draw when they played noncreature spells. That really killed it for us. I really hope that this time they actually design the rules the way they are supposed to be, and if mistakes are made they fix it in a patch. Do they realize that all of the people who are learning how to play Magic on their game are being taught incorrect rulings and scenarios? They are probably too busy counting their money. Shouldn't Wizards oversee how the game is coming along? At least they are fixing the land tapping problem, that was another huge issue. Funny how they don't mention that they messed up big time on the rules. And how about some real customization for once? I would like to design my own deck and play it against opponents. It would be fun for friends to be able to customize their decks together for two headed giant matches. I don't see why that would be a problem at all. It would just be great fun, you know, like the actual card game. Isn't that the point of games? Fun? And what, no Commander? That would be awesome if Commander was included with real customization. Just make the game correctly please, it would be nice.

I did like the promo card we got for the 2012 game though! Got a sweet alternate art Grave Titan for the XBOX 360 version who sits in my Thraximundar Commander deck! Do something like that again for 2013!
And how about some real customization for once? I would like to design my own deck and play it against opponents. It would be fun for friends to be able to customize their decks together for two headed giant matches. I don't see why that would be a problem at all. It would just be great fun, you know, like the actual card game.

You really don't see why you're not allowed to customize your own decks? The game can't have a huge card pool like MtGO because then it would be trespassing on MtGO's territory, and it's not what this game is supposed to do. So, that means it's going to have to have a limited card pool. If you could fully customize your own decks, how long would it take for people using the internet to find out the absolute best or two best decks to build and then the game to turn into players only running those two decks? And it couldn't get fixed until they released a new game, and it starts all over again. Not fun.

If you want a way to play the game just like regular Magic on the computer, you can play MtGO and the free clients available online. Duels of the Planeswalkers isn't supposed to be exactly like paper Magic. That's the point.

I really enjoyed Duels 2012 but I just got it recently, so it's kind of disappointing to see that another version is coming out so soon. Are we really going to do new ones each year instead of just releasing expansions? The land-tapping thing really should have been done the last time anyway. If 2013 has Archenemy and Planechase I might do it, but if it only has Planechase then it isn't okay to make a new game to encourage players to buy both.
So any sort of bonus or anything for people who've bought the first two Duel games?  Any at all?
I must say, I'm pretty excited for an iPad version of the game!  Hopefully I can play it on my iPad 2 and it's not just for the newest one.  And it's about time we had manual tapping of lands; I've been screwed over so many times because I have to just hope and pray that the computer taps the lands I want it to, and then it doesnt.  Looking forward to this.
And how about some real customization for once? I would like to design my own deck and play it against opponents. It would be fun for friends to be able to customize their decks together for two headed giant matches. I don't see why that would be a problem at all. It would just be great fun, you know, like the actual card game.

You really don't see why you're not allowed to customize your own decks? The game can't have a huge card pool like MtGO because then it would be trespassing on MtGO's territory, and it's not what this game is supposed to do. So, that means it's going to have to have a limited card pool. If you could fully customize your own decks, how long would it take for people using the internet to find out the absolute best or two best decks to build and then the game to turn into players only running those two decks? And it couldn't get fixed until they released a new game, and it starts all over again. Not fun.

If you want a way to play the game just like regular Magic on the computer, you can play MtGO and the free clients available online. Duels of the Planeswalkers isn't supposed to be exactly like paper Magic. That's the point.

I really enjoyed Duels 2012 but I just got it recently, so it's kind of disappointing to see that another version is coming out so soon. Are we really going to do new ones each year instead of just releasing expansions? The land-tapping thing really should have been done the last time anyway. If 2013 has Archenemy and Planechase I might do it, but if it only has Planechase then it isn't okay to make a new game to encourage players to buy both.

Wow, you really like to put words in people's mouth don't you? Who said anything about a giant card pool like MtGO? And even if I did, what would be wrong with that??? Isn't that what people at tournaments do? Find the best deck and try to win? That's what people do with the preset decks they give you too in case you didn't know! Ever wonder why so many people used Ancient Depths, and Jace's mono blue Illusions? Because they were the best ones overall. (Depths had really hard to remove shroud creatures that broke the rules because of poor game design, and Jace's was incredibly versitile due to its counter magic and aggressive creatures.) Ever wonder why teams in two headed giant both pick the same decks? Because picking the same decks in that game as a team is really cheap and usually wins. They are "Spikes" which seems to be what you are as well. You seem to just care about the win instead of the fun of the game. Theres no way around people using the best things avaliable to them in video games. Limiting customization actually makes it worse because then everyone is stuck with the unbalanced decks they give us instead of being able to make your own personal deck out of the card pool they offer! Old school gamers want more options and freedom in games. You are thinking exactly like most of the current stupid game developers that are ruining video games today. You want to dumb the game down, make it simple, put everyone at the same level so everything is "balanced," when in fact that method is just taking away freedom in the game and making it much less fun for people who want much more from the games they buy. Stop thinking about the win, and focus more on the positives that customization would bring. It would be more fun. What's wrong with that?

I'm calling Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker as a reprint.

As opposed to any other theories of how he might show up.

1. The symbol for Core Sets has always been pretty standardized. Two different long-running patterns on both sides of Xth Edition. It won't be his horns, it'll be M13

2. Nicol Bolas isn't black. He's gold. He's U/B/R. This is what they did in Conflux, and any new Nicol Bolas, if they chose to make another, would be these same colors, guaranteed. The only possible exception is if Bolas hits 5 Color Mastery, which is cleary his PLAN, but if he SUCCEEDS at that, the story breaks and Bolas just wins on the spot.

3. So, Nicol Bolas, in either reprint or new card form, will appear in his time-honored classic three colors, and yes this definitely confirms Gold in Core Set. I can't recall if that's ever been done before, but I'm pretty sure not. So that is going to be the 'returning mechanic' most likely.

4. Nicol Bolas' first Planeswalker card is powerful enough. And perfectly gets his persona across. I could see a few different possibilities for other Bolas cards, but very few. I don't think there's more than 2 good Nicol Bolas-on-a-Planeswalker-card Designs left in the Design Space for him (one Grixis, one 5-color). So I'm pretty sure we are getting the Conflux card, with maybe a 3rd art (definitely not his Duel Decks Art- those never get recycled, but they might make it a new new art to make it more interesting.)   

2. Nicol Bolas isn't black. He's gold. He's U/B/R. This is what they did in Conflux, and any new Nicol Bolas, if they chose to make another, would be these same colors, guaranteed. The only possible exception is if Bolas hits 5 Color Mastery, which is cleary his PLAN, but if he SUCCEEDS at that, the story breaks and Bolas just wins on the spot.

Just cause he's gold doesn't mean he couldn't decide to show how powerful he is by using only one color of mana. Not that Nicky is the show-off type. Sarkhan is technically a mage with access to all of Jund's colors, yet we've only seen two instances of him: one where he chose to only use , and one where he chose to use only . They can do the same with Nicol Bolas; print him in only one color, or if they so chose, three individual cards in three colors.

The planeswalker cards aren't supposed to show "this planeswalker only deals in these colors", they show "this is what colors of magic this planeswalker feels like using when you summon them this time."

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

Just cause he's gold doesn't mean he couldn't decide to show how powerful he is by using only one color of mana. Not that Nicky is the show-off type. Sarkhan is technically a mage with access to all of Jund's colors, yet we've only seen two instances of him: one where he chose to only use , and one where he chose to use only . They can do the same with Nicol Bolas; print him in only one color, or if they so chose, three individual cards in three colors.

The planeswalker cards aren't supposed to show "this planeswalker only deals in these colors", they show "this is what colors of magic this planeswalker feels like using when you summon them this time."

Actually, I believe you have it exactly wrong, but for understandable reasons.

Sarkhan was a shaman. The shaman colors have traditionally been Red/Green. He did NOT used to have death magic. He used fire, rather than direct kill spells, and his own rage, fuelled by the most primal parts of the earth element.

Then, he became a minion of Bolas, and also was driven Mad. I think he actually lost access to his connection to the world's heartbeat, in the same way a Jedi gone Sith loses access to the Living Force, but gains the Dark Side. Either Bolas himself taught Sarkhan Death Magic, or R/B is just something all insane people can do, like the 'madness' mechanic from Rakdos suggests.

Because of the color pie, there are some things each color can NOT do. Limiting yourself to only one color where before you were three colors is always a weakening. Nicol Bolas cannot cast Entomb using only Blue  mana, or Lightning using Black mana. That's illogical, like saying he can make something a square and a circle at the same time.

However, he can show he has mastery of Blue, Black, and Red mana by using the MOST POWERFUL magics from those colors: Time Travel in Blue, Mass Sacrifice/Discard/Reanimation in Black, Chaos in Red.

If you take away his Black, he's going to lose he's going to lose reanimate, discard and sacrifice;
If you take away his Blue, he's going to lose mind control and draw;
If you take away his Red, he's going to lose direct damage and destroying artifacts and lands;

If you take away his Gold, he's going to lose kills Planeswalkers. (I don't buy than any one color can do this so easily) 

He's gonna be Grixis. Trust me.  
It's entirely possible that you could send out the call to Bolas, and he just shows up to mess around, not to be serious. Maybe he decides you're not worthy of all three colors he has at his disposal, and thus only brings one color's worth of spells. Maybe he figures that anything you're fighting can't possibly be a challenge for him, and purposely limits himself to make things interesting. Heck, maybe he does that stupid spell he used in Tezzeret's book that makes a fully functional, able-to-planeswalk (apparently Nicol Bolas can create Planeswalker Sparks) clone of himself and sends that instead; those are limited in power compared to the original, and could conceivably be made with just one color of magic available to them.

A planeswalker card doesn't represent the full repertoire of that planeswalker, just what he (or she) is willing to bring to the fight for you. And Bolas strikes me as incredibly likely to hold back, if he consents to show up at all. So a mono-colored Nicol Bolas is still very possible. That said, I hope Bolas isn't in M13 at all. He's far too much a Villain Sue for my tastes.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)