5e FR Designers/Writers: Who's on your list?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I originally posted this on Candlekeep, but at the bequest of both Brian and Erik, I have decided to post it here as well:

Originally posted by Hawkins on Candlekeep
Ok, we keep talking about what we want and don't want and whatnot, but I really think that to get all that we want we more need to look at who will be designing the campaign setting or guide. I look forward to seeing other scribes' lists as well. My list is as follows:

Lead Designer/Writer: Ed Greenwood [and his beard]. I think that Ed is the essential key to bringing the most Realms fans back into the fold.

Key Current Designers/Writers:Brian R. and Matt James, Brian Cortijo, Erik Scott de Bie (though I am not sure how many Realmslore articles [if any] Erik has designed for DDI, I know he has some solid ideas as to how to move forward).

Key Old School Designers/Writers: Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Sean K Reynolds (yes, I know SKR has a job at Paizo, but it would be great if WotC would hire him specifically for this project), Steven Schend, Tom Costa.

Additional Lore & Mechanics Design: Eytan Bernstein (I am guessing that WotC will want at least a little "crunch" with all the "fluff," and he is the man I see to do it. Also, at least in the 3.x days, he showed some awesome lore work with the "Class Chronicles" series and Dragons of Faerûn.) Also Elaine Cunningham for the final say on all things elvish (and maybe some input for Waterdeep if she wishes) and Jeff Grubb for the final say on all things Cormyrean (sp?).

After the initial project is designed, then I would want them to hire some combination of the Erik, Krash, and the Brothers James to act as the "Continuity Lawyers" for all forth-going projects. Continuity in the 2e and early 3.x Realms is part of what made it so awesome, and I think that it is necessary to have all of the continuity issues (real or perceived) between editions to be worked out.

Anyways, these are the people I trust to create a better Realms for us all. If any combination of the people above (and I am sure that there are more that other scribes will detail) where to be the key designers (and given free reign to design) of new iteration of the Realms, I am confident that it will be something for me to invest currency in. I look forward to seeing what other scribes have to say.

Anyways, I am interested what anyone and everyone who is a serious Realms fan (in any edition) has to say on the matter.

Thanks,
Hawkins 
Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated February 18, 2013)
It's an honor to be nominated, Hawkins. I'm touched. []

And to clarify, all Brian or I said on Candlekeep was that if you want something to happen, in the Realms or D&D or wherever, you have to advocate for it. Which is exactly what Hawkins is doing here.

Cheers,
Erik

P.S. Here's a link to my bibliography, if anyone's curious (probably I need to update it somewhat--it's been a while): erikscottdebie.com/bibliography
Also, if you want to read about some of the great ideas of Erik's that I mentioned above, I suggest you check out this thread and this thread over at Candlekeep, as well as this blogpost.
Ed needs to head the project in order to get everyone on board.  If I had my way, I'd arrange it so that he would have creative control.  Kinda like GL, but more reigned in. 

And a mix of the new school and old school writers should essentially be on the project to help it go forward.   I second Eric, Shend, Grubb, and Bernstein.   

Author of Elementalism in Atlas Games' Occult Lore. DAZ 3D

I originally posted this on Candlekeep, but at the bequest of both Brian and Erik, I have decided to post it here as well:

Originally posted by Hawkins on Candlekeep
Ok, we keep talking about what we want and don't want and whatnot, but I really think that to get all that we want we more need to look at who will be designing the campaign setting or guide. I look forward to seeing other scribes' lists as well. My list is as follows:

Lead Designer/Writer: Ed Greenwood [and his beard]. I think that Ed is the essential key to bringing the most Realms fans back into the fold.

Key Current Designers/Writers:Brian R. and Matt James, Brian Cortijo, Erik Scott de Bie (though I am not sure how many Realmslore articles [if any] Erik has designed for DDI, I know he has some solid ideas as to how to move forward).

Key Old School Designers/Writers: Eric Boyd, George Krashos, Sean K Reynolds (yes, I know SKR has a job at Paizo, but it would be great if WotC would hire him specifically for this project), Steven Schend, Tom Costa.

Additional Lore & Mechanics Design: Eytan Bernstein (I am guessing that WotC will want at least a little "crunch" with all the "fluff," and he is the man I see to do it. Also, at least in the 3.x days, he showed some awesome lore work with the "Class Chronicles" series and Dragons of Faerûn.) Also Elaine Cunningham for the final say on all things elvish (and maybe some input for Waterdeep if she wishes) and Jeff Grubb for the final say on all things Cormyrean (sp?).

After the initial project is designed, then I would want them to hire some combination of the Erik, Krash, and the Brothers James to act as the "Continuity Lawyers" for all forth-going projects. Continuity in the 2e and early 3.x Realms is part of what made it so awesome, and I think that it is necessary to have all of the continuity issues (real or perceived) between editions to be worked out.

Anyways, these are the people I trust to create a better Realms for us all. If any combination of the people above (and I am sure that there are more that other scribes will detail) where to be the key designers (and given free reign to design) of new iteration of the Realms, I am confident that it will be something for me to invest currency in. I look forward to seeing what other scribes have to say.

Anyways, I am interested what anyone and everyone who is a serious Realms fan (in any edition) has to say on the matter.

Thanks,
Hawkins 

This+Richard L. Baker... 

HAND OF KARSUS!

Rich Baker has my vote as well, he really new the Realms, oh but they already canned his ass, and brought back Monte Cook!? dudes lets face it, 5e is going to suck!!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
It's an honor to be nominated, Hawkins. I'm touched. []

And to clarify, all Brian or I said on Candlekeep was that if you want something to happen, in the Realms or D&D or wherever, you have to advocate for it. Which is exactly what Hawkins is doing here.

Cheers,
Erik

P.S. Here's a link to my bibliography, if anyone's curious (probably I need to update it somewhat--it's been a while): erikscottdebie.com/bibliography

Cause you earned the nomination.  The books you write and the answering posts for the people shows you really care about the Realms and the players in my book.  If there is a way to give you my vote you can have it. Congratulations.

Thanks
Rich Baker has my vote as well, he really new the Realms, oh but they already canned his ass, and brought back Monte Cook!? dudes lets face it, 5e is going to suck!!

I rather wait and see how the 5th edition read before I pass judgement.  If not have you tried to write a game and base upon d20 system who has over a hundred chars and with couple hundred monsters stats is easy.  Try it yourself it is not easy and you never please all the people and please only some of them part of the time.  

I'm in agreement on that list.
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....

Srsly? Look, just because all the kids are getting crazy and posting wackadoodle ideas about how 5E will be teh sux0rz doesn't mean you need to go there too.

You're better than that.

Back to the topic: I'm not sure who at WotC is in charge of the Realms (though I can understand why they're keeping their head down--safety first, right?), but whoever this person is needs to be leading a team of freelancers, with (you guessed it) Ed Greenwood at the front, followed by a long line of awesomeness (Brian R. James, Matt James, Erik Scott de Bie, Matt Sernet, George Krashos and so on).

They key here will be making sure the freelance team knows the 5E rules to their core. I want a rules-lite 5E Realms, but I also want it to fit with the 5E game; getting the design team to adopt this principle is very important.

My only non-negotiable demand is that you may not blow up the setting to do this. Please do what the design team for the 3rd Edition Realms did and handwave it, with little lore tweaks provided by your freelance team to shore up the inevitable inconsistencies that always, always, always crop up with each new edition of the rules being overlayed onto the Realms.

Thanks to hawkins for starting this thread.

Check this out! The more people like this, the more likely it is: http://m.facebook.com/EdsRealms
Cheers
no got devil's page that is faceboook account
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Or www.facebook.com/EdsRealms for those who are not on mobile phones...

So true.

The most talented designer on staff - and even Chris Perkins rates him as the best adventure designer - and he is sacked and effectively replaced by Monte "Back to the Future" Cook? That makes no sense.

I would also like to see Rich as part of the FR design team... but I actually sincerely hope he has found a great job elsewhere already. 
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
As far as I know, Monte is only involved in the 5e rules set. And I do not think that Monte or 5e bashing is appropriate on this thread. 

Honestly the direction 5e appears to be headed seriously lowered my interest in DnD in general.  I've not been coming out to the forums much the past few months as it seems like if you step out side the realms forums, it's one kick in the junk after another.
I am not pessimist much eiher.  If I can use parts of it then I will be happy.   People are going play 3.5 format to something comes along that is better.
Sign In to post comments