Do I count as dealing the damage from ongoing damage I apply to an enemy?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Based on the wording from the Pacifist Healer update text:
Show

Pacifist Healer

Page 136: In the last sentence of the feat, replace “whenever you deal damage to a bloodied enemy” with “whenever you hit or miss a bloodied enemy and deal damage to it.” The previous text included ongoing damage and other damaging effects. This correction clarifies the intent.

Add “healing word or” after “When you use” in the first sentence. This change clarifies that this feat is intended to apply to healing word, even though it no longer has the divine keyword.

if I apply ongoing damage to an enemy through a power, then I am considered to be dealing that damage (otherwise, they wouldn't have needed to clarify Pacifist Healer to indicate "hit or miss *and* deal damage".

Based on this, if I have a feat which gives a bonus to fire damage (not fire damage *rolls*, just straight fire damage) when an enemy is taking ongoing fire damage, wouldn't I get to add that bonus to damage to the damage they are taking from the ongoing fire damage?   
No, you don't count ongoing damage against Pacifist healer.

The 'hit or miss' element was added to specifically exclude autodamage from breaking PH, and, I believe, after all the changes were sorted, was replaced in the final errata.  But the post-Essentials errata were a mess, because they worked from the original wording, not the errated wording, in the first place.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
No ... no, I know you don't count ongoing damage against Pacifist Healer.  I included that there as precedence for my question.
Ah I see.

No, I would say not - the damage from the ongoing is inflicted by the condition, not by you.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ah I see.

No, I would say not - the damage from the ongoing is inflicted by the condition, not by you.

Then why would the devs include "ongoing damage" as one of the reasons for making the change to Pacifist Healer? 
Ah I see.

Then why would the devs include "ongoing damage" as one of the reasons for making the change to Pacifist Healer? 

Ignorance?
As per RC, ongoing damage is damage dealt by the power, which means it is damage dealt by the weapon/implement used by the power as well as damage dealt by you by using the power.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
As per RC, ongoing damage is damage dealt by the power, which means it is damage dealt by the weapon/implement used by the power as well as damage dealt by you by using the power.

So, when Ongoing damage is dealt, if we have something that would add to flat damage (not damage rolls), it would apply?
If it is damage dealt by your powers, yes.

Probably unintended, most certainly abusable, but hey, RC is infallible, right?
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" class="mceContentBody " contenteditable="true" />So, when Ongoing damage is dealt, if we have something that would add to flat damage (not damage rolls), it would apply?

What specific feature are you looking at? I'm always looking for ways to boost ongoing damage.

Nothing specific.  Just hypothetical.  I read the update for Pacifist Healer and realized the implications of what they said for the reasoning behind the change.....
There's a reason they're very careful to always specify damage rolls.  In fact, I'd argue that any time that you find a "increases damage dealt with X powers" it's an error in design.  (For an example the Lyrandar Wind-Rider L11 feature does this, and it would boost the splash damage of Static Charge.  It probably shouldn't.)

Ongoing damage is consecutive damage, as opposed to instantaneous damage and is a damage dealt by your powers and thus you. So it appears a power such as Drow Ecclesiastic would therefore benefit from bonus to damage (not damage roll since it doesn't have any).

RC 222 Damage: Damage is almost always instantaneous. The most commun exception is Ongoing damage.

RC 224 Ongoing Damage: Some powers deal damage on consecutive turns after the initial attack.

What i am not sure is if a power such as Storm Call would gain the bonus to damage only once or multiple times (on the instantaneous damage and on the ongoing damage). We have only a guidance on how to apply bonus to multiple damage rolls, but not multiple instance of damage that are not damage rolls.

RC 222 Modifiers To Damage Rolls: Also an attack power might contain multiple damage rolls, such as a melee attack against multiple targets. If a creature has a bonus to damage rolls and uses such power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power.  

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Ongoing damage is consecutive damage, as opposed to instantaneous damage and is a damage dealt by your powers and thus you. So it appears a power such as Drow Ecclesiastic would therefore benefit from bonus to damage (not damage roll since it doesn't have any).

RC 222 Damage: Damage is almost always instantaneous. The most commun exception is Ongoing damage.

RC 224 Ongoing Damage: Some powers deal damage on consecutive turns after the initial attack.

What i am not sure is if a power such as Storm Call would gain the bonus to damage only once or multiple times (on the instantaneous damage and on the ongoing damage). We have only a guidance on how to apply bonus to multiple damage rolls, but not multiple instance of damage that are not damage rolls.

RC 222 Modifiers To Damage Rolls: Also an attack power might contain multiple damage rolls, such as a melee attack against multiple targets. If a creature has a bonus to damage rolls and uses such power, the creature applies the bonus to every damage roll of that power.  

Um. I know it is already in the handbook of the broken, but extra damage that is a roll adds a damage roll. There must be some feature worded loosely enough that it'd apply to all damage, including ongoing damage. Ongoing damage that is a damage roll seems doable....

How about something like the property on a Holy Avenger? "Radiant powers" deal 1d10 extra damage. It goes back to the question Plaguescarred brought up: does this apply to every damage instance created by the power, or just the instantaneous damage?
Little side-trek in pacifist healer stuff ...

If a pacifist cleric|sentinel has his bear attack a bloodied target, does the PC still get stunned?

We've been playing it as yes, under the assumption the bear is under control of the PC and using his actions. (But if the bear was using instinctive actions while the PC was unconcious or too far away it wouldn't trigger.)