Who is your General and why?

144 posts / 0 new
Last post
Who is that special legend for you?
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Kaalia of the Vast is my very special lady-friend. She basically allowed for one of my favourite combinations ( ) to have a little bit of extra spice in the bedroom with some . The possibilities... oh the possibilites. I've swung with her, plonking down a Rune-Scarred Demon who, grateful for the chance to deal some damage, hunted for the next heavy hitter that Kaalia wanted to throw at my most vicious of friendly opponents.

I've had ludicrous amounts of fun with that young lady.
Rafiq of the many lets me play the colors I prefer in commander, and he is a nuts beatstick that allows me to have a deck that controls. The less space dedicated to fat creatures, the better the deck in my experience

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

Momir Vig, Simic Visionary.  He suits my Johnny/Timmy mentality and play style.  He can easily tutor up some stupid fatty, but can also facilitate an infinite combo or two!
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Ghave, Guru of Spores is definitely my favorite general.  I love tokens and this guy just screams "awesomeness!", so I converted my Kamahl, Fist of Krosa token deck into a more well-rounded deck.  It has great synergy, it can remove any type of permanent, it has solid card draw, it can ramp strongly, and it can splash around in the graveyard pretty well.  G/W/B has become my favorite color combo because it can do most everything well.
Damn Islands, long time no see bud. Hope you're doing well. For me it's Savra and Zur. Savra, when built right, just has so much interaction it's unreal. She's definitely deserves alot more attention and then Zur is just my baby of a deck that just smashes. 
For effectiveness (and this represents deck build just as much as the Commander) I have Thraximundar, Damia, and Riku.
For fun and occasional surprising out-of-nowhere wins, I have Nin.
For watching my opponents sweat as they look for answers to my growing horde I have Ghave and Rhys.
For controlling the action I have Augustin.
For the sheer violence, I have Maralen with a mass of Black 'hit everyone or everything' effects.
Just to see how the heck he works I have Zedruu.

And I'm working on a Kaalia deck and a mono white deck.

Xile, I tried Savra. She didn't work so well for me (deck build issue, really). But in the Ghave deck she is a star.

Current EDH Decks: Radha Timmy, Oona exile/mill, Edric aggro, Marath tokens, Uril Voltron, Ertai counters, Sek'Kuar sac engines, Ezuri elf tribal, Oloro life gain, Zedruu tokens, White Mikaeus indestructible, Riku allies, Ghave synergy, Momir Vig Simic to a fault, Zur pillow fort/extort, Cromat artifacts, Rafiq aggro, Nekuzar zombies, Prossh creature beats, Roon ETB/bounce, Garza Zol vampires.

Primarily, The Mimeoplasm is my commander, because I love one hit General swings, plus I don't have any 60-card combo decks to speak of.

Progenitus is along the same lines (when I'm through building it) but with 2 extra colors
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
gwafa hazid, profiteer because we're all happy when we're drawing cards!  amirite???

and sisters of stone death, cause sometimes dropping fatties is what we do.
Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir is mine, not because the deck has many banned cards in it, but because he is one of the most problematic generals to be on the receiving end of.

Second up is Savra, Queen of the Golgari, I agree with Xile.  She has sooo much latitude with interractions when well built; which always leads me to taking extra time on my turns:  Super stars of the deck include - Nether Traitor and Phyrexian Plaguelord...
Boss Lady, because I like playing with things my opponents hate.

<----- Loser.

Don't have one, just can't find one to use. None have that sheer destroy power I'm looking for.
Child of Alara 'cause playing lands.dec in EDH is funny.
My best deck is my mono-green elf deck, led by Rhys the exiled.  Really, it could be any of the legends in my deck, but I wanted to use Rhys, and because he has a black mana symbol, this was the only way.  Also, at only three mana, he's easy to recast once somebody kills him.
I would have to go with the first deck i made. Mono-white equipment. kemba, kha regent has a special place in my heart.
If I had to pick one...Probably sharuum the hegemon. There's are so many strong packages and cards for the archetype...It's by far the decklist I've spent the most time editing.

It's a shame that the more interesting a deck is to play, the less multiplayer-friendly it is. No one likes the guy who constantly takes 2+ minute turns, no matter how justifiable it is.
Braids, Conjurer Adept.

It leads to a weird subgame of chicken with my opponents, where they're all trying to get best value out of freecasting but trying not to be the one who plays the card I plan to steal/copy during my next turn.
I only have Memnarch in paper at the moment. I started playing tournaments in Darksteel, and he was one of my favourite cards. My friends recently got back into EDH and so it was either him, Child of Alara, or Vorosh/Numot (because I have to be playing JTMS :P).

I played an Azami one online but it was unpopular.

Zedruu the Greathearted, because I finally had a couple nice game with my latest build! :D

Pretty fun game, could bring me back to mtg. :P

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

For sheer speed games I have Scion of the Ur-Dragon. Wins on turn 3 with Hermit Druid Combo
For more awesomeness I play Damia, Sage of Stone. Combo/Control with Tooth and Nail combo win
For super control i play Ertai, the Corrupted. Counterspell.deck with a combo win
For rediculousness I play Omnath, Locus of Mana. Ramp and kill with Hurricane after gaining some life
And for casual fun games I play Kaervek the Merciless. Equip with Grafted Exoskeleton for the win.
My Lady because her ability can single-handedly ruin the lives of people at the table. So wicked =)

Changed my mind, love Oona. 
Dralnu, Lich Lord because ": do anything" is a good ability.
blah blah metal lyrics
For sheer speed games I have Scion of the Ur-Dragon. Wins on turn 3 with Hermit Druid Combo
For more awesomeness I play Damia, Sage of Stone. Combo/Control with Tooth and Nail combo win
For super control i play Ertai, the Corrupted. Counterspell.deck with a combo win
For rediculousness I play Omnath, Locus of Mana. Ramp and kill with Hurricane after gaining some life
And for casual fun games I play Kaervek the Merciless. Equip with Grafted Exoskeleton for the win.

what do you tooth and nail for?
I've got a quite a few favorite generals, but I probably like Mirri the Cursed best. She's hasty, hard to block, self pumping, and really nasty in a Voltron-ish build. Plus, no one else I know uses her, and it makes me feel like I'm not just using a boring regurgitation of the same old EDH deck that you always see.
Dralnu, Lich Lord because ": do anything" is a good ability.

That is a dangerous game you are playing sir

Magic Rafiq Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][multiplayer] [] Inferno Beatdown [EDH][multiplayer][1vs1][] Gwendlyn Combo/Control Deck [EDH][1vs1][] Merieke Casual Deck [EDH][multiplayer][] Roleplaying Magician class [D&D 3.5]

Yeah, but why would you play Dralnu unless you had some way to protect him?  A la greaves or some such?
Eh, burn's not that common. I did lose a game to Savage Twister for ten or so once, but that's the only time the sac ability has ever really made a huge difference.

Now, I do prefer to have Greaves on him whenever possible, since he is of course a big target for normal removal as well (and haste is nice).
blah blah metal lyrics

what do you tooth and nail for?

Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger and Palinchron to make infinite mana with 6 lands in play and then Exsanguinate for 100s
:/ not impressed. The whole point of tooth and nail combo is that it's a 1-card combo. Requiring an additional X-spell makes it more inefficient than a bunch of other 2-card combos that don't involve a 9-mana sorcery.
:/ not impressed. The whole point of tooth and nail combo is that it's a 1-card combo. Requiring an additional X-spell makes it more inefficient than a bunch of other 2-card combos that don't involve a 9-mana sorcery.

Agreed. It is a fan of kiki-jiki, mirror breaker and Pestermite though

The Captain is one of my favorites, allowing me to search when I wish, for WHAT I wish.  There are many cards that allow you to do that, admittedly, but having a general capable of that...always a good thing.
Merieke Ri Berit is another not-so-common general I like using as well, especially considering the deck I run.  Few things are more awesome than taking your opponent's general for your own use(especially if it's one that has good synergy with my deck).
My main deck, which I refer to as my "project" is Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief.  She's a complete beast, she's repeatable target removal and a win condition rolled into one, especially once you take advantage of all the mana-doubling effects mono black has to offer.  Drana is also my most competetive deck.  Other commanders that I am extremely fond of are Edric, Spymaster of Trest and Glissa, the Traitor.  I'm particularly fond of Glissa, as my deck running her plays very differently compared to most other decks at the table.
My general is none other then Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. he sits there doing nothing but being a pain while letting me play my favorite 2 card combo. Drogskol Reaver equppied with Umezawa's Jitte
Heh that is pretty cute. Swing with reaver, draw 6 cards. Not bad.
My general will always be Braids, Cabal Minion. Yea i know she's not legal but I loved her even when she was a 60 card deck.

My first actual general was Rafiq of the Many. He won a decent amount of games but he just didn't satisfy the Braids in me.

My current favorite playable general is Kresh the Bloodbraided. Most of my EDH games are 2v2 tournament style and while he's not always the star of the game, the deck is still quite powerful.
My first and favorite general is Karn, Silver Golem. The deck is something most players don't attempt and works very well in many different situations. As such, it's pretty complex to play.

The opposite side of the coin in my Doran, the Siege Tower deck which is much more simple, just as capable, and still equally fun.
Heh that is pretty cute. Swing with reaver, draw 6 cards. Not bad.

I played Reaver with Sword of the Meek & Thopter Foundry. , Sacrifice SOTM:  Put a 1/1 flying artifact thopter on the battlefield, gain 1 life and draw a card.'

Suddenly running Ghave, Guru of spores, Zedruu the greathearted, Damia, Sage of stone and Savra, queen of the golgari Make me feel really unoriginal...

But luckily for me, I still have Wrexial, the risen deep For discard control, Experiment Kraj for token/+1/+1 counter swarm, Jhoira of the Ghitu for because Jhoira and Wort, the Raidmother because there's nothing better than making 39 13/13's from a dual conspired Gelatinous Genesis, then overrunning with your Garruk Wildspeaker for 627 damage the turn after.
I've got 3 decks right now mayael, to play and swing with giant creatures, and also works well against other 60 card decks in my playgroup, memnarch which i enjoy playing as heavy contro, however no combos or lockouts other than possible land denial, and my last and most recently made is Mikeaus the unhallowed, which is a pure johnny combo deck. Still working on it, however triskelion +mikeaus on the ield just equal gg along with blating station + any thing that comes in with -1 counters is gg also.
So i have 3 decks in the three primary play styles, control aggro and combo and enjoy playing them all.

Would you rather me get the unhallowed and trisk so I win instantly even though that is much easier to disrup. If I cast tooth three times in one turn I can get my combo off with just tooth. And I don't have to include cards that are weak on their own. All the cards in the deck can stand alone as well as interact with the rest of the deck. That is what makes a good deck imo
Grimgrin, corpse-born is fun for me. Granted, I'm new to EDH, and only have Grimgrin and Glissa, the Traitor decks, but I like token sacing shenanigans and a tribal zombie theme a lot. I'm also trying Wort, Boggart Auntie soon, and I think she'll be a lot of fun as goblin tribal. I love me some gobbos!
82680771 wrote:
Soylent Golgari is made of people!!!
Sign In to post comments