the world of "The Black Company"

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I'm working on a homebrew setting based on the world of "The Black Company" by Glen Cook. 4e may not be the best system to use for this, but it is the system that I have essentially memorized, so I wanted to look for some advice about how to keep it somewhat balanced while still keeping the flavor that I want. I know that arcane magic needs to be stronger, healing needs to be more medical in nature, and there needs to exist heroes who can oppose the arcane masters of the world and have a hope of winning (thus the paladins special thing). So if anyone has any Ideas, or criticisms of my shoddy attempt at capturing this world please let them be known, and I will consider them. Thanks in advance and without further ado, the link: community.wizards.com/theblackcompany
Green Ronin did a Black Company campaign setting for the d20 system - you may want to dig that out and see how they handled things!
I won't really be able to use the system from the book as the skill based magic is too painful for the people that I generally play with and the fact that they are generally reluctant to return to anything third editionish, but as far as the fluff I would hug you if I could...
Glad I could help!
It's been a while since I read Black Company.  Do you have a character analog for the classes you allowed?  White Rose as your version of paladin?  Goblin/Silent as a wizard, and so forth...
Parenthood: Gain rage class feature. While enraged, take ongoing psychic damage equal to half the child's level. Dealing damage while enraged is against your Code of Conduct and you will be depowered.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/13.jpg)

^^Wow, is that really how I came across in that personality thing or was this chosen at random?
I updated the class list to sorta reflect where I was going with the list... hope it helps you give some feedback :D
Hmm...  I don't know that I would have as many classes, but it may just be that I don't see them in the same light you do.  What do you feel your missing?
Parenthood: Gain rage class feature. While enraged, take ongoing psychic damage equal to half the child's level. Dealing damage while enraged is against your Code of Conduct and you will be depowered.

^^Wow, is that really how I came across in that personality thing or was this chosen at random?
I only took out things that I felt didn't belong, I still want there to be options for each role. I am more curious as to whether the mechanics that I changed fit with the world while being somewhat balanced against eachother...
I would probably have something available for minor talents similar to Dark Sun wild talents.  I don't know that I would have it available to everyone, but I would want it in there to represent Raven's minor magical talents rather than having him take the multiclass wizard feat.

I think you're peachy.  It may take actual gameplay to make any issues really apparent.  If someone finds something they want that you haven't included, have them cite precedence.  Have your players read BC?

I'm trying to get the world built before I run the game... so not sure if they will have read it or not, but I will definately recommend that they do if they haven't...