03/27/2012 RC: "Zero to Sixty"

45 posts / 0 new
Last post

This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Allons-y? One of the classic blunders? BZZZZZZZZ?

I think I'm going to like this author. 
Maybe starting with something more generic / actually used would be a good way to see what this column is about. Trying to make Helvault work out of nowhere is a bit strange.
I don't mean to sound like too much of a douche, but I don't really feel this is an adequate replacement for Savor the Flavor. There are literally 9,001 sites that people can get deck doctor-style help from, and I see this as another measure catering to competitive types who already have too much. Not that my opinion is worth anything by internet standards (low post count lolol), and I know you have to play to your audience which, in the online context, is almost all competitive players . . . so I guess we'll see what happens here in a few months, eh?

EDIT: The article is very well-written, though, with entertaining jokes and an open, accessible style. Ever considered writing for Savor the Flavor, Gavin? 
I'm enjoying this column already. I admit that I'm terrible at knowing how many copies of a card to run: I usually run four-of everything except finishers, of which I run two. It's good to see an explanation of when to run four-of versus three-of. Also, the fact that he'll be willing to run with restrictions such as following a budget really excites me; restrictions breed creativity!
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

And all in his first article, too! This is going to be a fun column.

Also, the fact that he'll be willing to run with restrictions such as following a budget really excites me; restrictions breed creativity!

I just said this in reference to BoaB. The restrictions he's adding will definitely make this a better column.
Give 'em Helvault, Kid.

Creatures: (12)
3 Glissa The Traitor
4 Solemn Simulacrum
3 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Spellskite
1 Myr Battlesphere

Planeswalkers: (4)
4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Artifacts: (16)
4 Sphere of the Suns
4 Helvault
2 Ichor Wellspring
3 Ratchet Bomb
1 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Batterskull

Instants/Sorceries: (3)
3 Tragic Slip

Land: (25)
4 Woodland Cemetery
2 Buried Ruin
2 Phyrexia's Core
6 Forest
4 Swamp
2 Island
1 Plains
1 Vault of the Archangel
2 Inkmoth Nexus
1 Shimmering Grotto

Sideboard:
1 Grafdiggers Cage
4 Necropede
2 Ancient Grudge
1 Mountain
3 Go for the Throat
2 Flashfreeze
2 Whipflare

Oh goodness, this deck is so greedy.
The basic premise is to play around with Helvault just saying "Card" as opposed to "Creature".
Tezzeret is the focus, as he turns your trinkets into 5/5s which can then be Helvaulted away and brought back to do things like draw cards or just be Batterskull.
I'm going to test it ASAP. It looks like a blast.

Here is my submission for your challenge.

"Having a Helvault of a Time!"

The premise is to lock away your creatures with the Helvaults and then destroy all their permanents with World Slayer.

I'm going to try it out and edit this post as I play it. 
I think I'm really going to enjoy this column. I feel like I'm okay with deck construction, but also realize that I could improve A LOT. I'm constantly improving, but it's so slow. Please just be sure to always explain the "why" behind what you do please

Todays article was great. It broke down quite nicely all of the times and reasons for including X amount of cards in a deck. Something I could really use help on. Sometime in the future, if you could go into greater depth on how to effectively build and use a sideboard during a tournament would be awesome! It's something that I feel rather clueless on. 

And I can't help but say that my favorite sound effect to make while playing Magic is "Pew! Pew! Pew!"
Sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun, albeit slow and coming starting out. The themes are deckbuilder loves, but I don't have much time for it. I think I'll like reading, though. Honestly, getting anything in your hands with a chance of having some good deckbuilding construction will be gravy.
I don't mean to sound like too much of a douche, but I don't really feel this is an adequate replacement for Savor the Flavor. There are literally 9,001 sites that people can get deck doctor-style help from, and I see this as another measure catering to competitive types who already have too much. Not that my opinion is worth anything by internet standards (low post count lolol), and I know you have to play to your audience which, in the online context, is almost all competitive players . . . so I guess we'll see what happens here in a few months, eh?

EDIT: The article is very well-written, though, with entertaining jokes and an open, accessible style. Ever considered writing for Savor the Flavor, Gavin? 

I don't think Savor the Flavor is gone. At the very least, I would expect the best parts of StF (which are, hands down, the Planeswalker's Guides) to continue to show up.

The column was well-written and informational. This seems like a good idea. I personally feel that it's just filling a hole that BoaB should fill, but whatever. I look forward to next week.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.

it will be excellent if you draw it in the right matchups—and roughly equivalent to drawing your Quizno's rewards card if you draw it in others.

He's off to a good start! I like his writing style.

I would've called the major archetypes: aggro, control, aggro-control, midrange, combo, and dredge. The dredge thing is kind of a joke, so prior to this article I would've said there were 5, and that ramp was midrange. But now I see it his way. I also like the way he picks how many of a card to play. It's something I've done haphazardly and now I've got something to think about.

So basically, I liked the whole thing.

Decklist:
1x Helvault
1x Venser's Journal
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Grimoire of the Dead
2x Doomed Traveler
2x Dungeon Geists
2x Geist-Honored Monk
2x Mausoleum Guard
2x Voiceless Spirit
4x Drogskol Captain
1x Mindshrieker
1x Geist of Saint Traft
1x Drogskol Reaver
2x Intangible Virtue
11x Plains
9x Island
1x Moorland Haunt
1x Elspeth Tirel
1x Venser, the Sojourner
2x Feeling of Dread
2x Midnight Haunting
2x Rebuke
2x Spare from Evil
2x Urgent Exorcism
2x Silent Departure
2x Think Twice 

The deck performs well against other tribal decks constructed of Innistrad Block cards, but struggles with facing older opposition. Land Destruction and Burn are large issues. The spirit synergy does work well with token synergy, at least.

The premise is to out-token the opponent quickly. Use Elspeth to nuke them if the match takes that long, tucking away your larger creatures safely within the Helvault. Venser is there to play to help out the Geist's angel attack buddy and to allow for swarming. He can blink the Geist-Honored Monk for more chump blockers, too. 

I'm open to changing things around, and card availability shouldn't be a problem. I'd love to see Avacyn's Collar incorporated. It would be killer for this deck, I just don't know where to begin cutting to see it put in. It's also completely tribal-driven. Everything is either a spirit, buffs a spirit or token (which are primarily spirits), or becomes a spirit when killed.

Great start to the column! It's going to be great and I look forward to future installments!! 

I would also like to chime in on how well this first article comes right out of the starting blocks. There are a few things that immediately came to my mind and I liked every one of them.

First off it reminded me quite a bit of JMS's way of writing. As I always fondly read his articles, this is obviously a nice touch.

Second, and this is closely related to the first part, is how this article reminds me of how JMS would handle deckbuilding in BOAB. A clear way of explaining the 'why'  and a clear set of guidelines to go by.

Third, and this is something that only older peeps (like me) will remember: the duelist magazine. In the old days when articles were still being put to print there was also a column in which people would send their decklists and they would get treatment. Of course I like a bit of nostalgia and this hit the mark.

So yeah, keep this going as there is enough demand from readers to justiy this column on the site imho.
MAIN BOARD
Lands:

Glacial Fortress 4
Island 1
Plains 16
Moorland Haunt 2 

Creatures:
Champion of the Parish 4
Doomed Traveller 4
Loyal Cathar 4
Grand Abolisher 4
Mirran Crusader 2
Fiend Hunter 2
Hero of Bladehold 2
Thalia Guardian Thraben 2
Geist of Saint Traft 2
Gideon's Lawkeeper 2

Enchantment:
Honor of the pure 4
Oblivion Ring 1
Angelic Destiny 1

Instant:
Dismember 1

Sorcery:
Gather the Townsfolk 2
Day of Judgement 2

Artifact:
Helvault 1

SIDE BOARD
Gideon Jura 1
Mirran Crusader 1
Oblivion Ring 1
Revoke Existence 1
Dismember 1
Timely Reinforcements 2
Leonin Relic-Warder 2
Celestial Purge 2
Ratchet Bomb 2
Corrosive Gale 2 

*this one works fine in play tests but not that much in actual game....
*some decks i've had a hard time are red-green ramp/zombies/flying poison deck/ and mono green dungrove..

what else should i do to improve the performance of my deck 
I don't mean to sound like too much of a douche, but I don't really feel this is an adequate replacement for Savor the Flavor.

Trick Jarrett said explicitly that ReConstructed is not a replacement for Savor the Flavor.

From the Changing the Lineup article,
I want to stress that this column is going to come back, I just don't know when or with whom. Hang in there; the stories from Magic will continue to flow.

From the discussion thread for the same article,
I want to stress that Savor the Flavor will be coming back. I am 100% serious about this, it is simply a matter that the timeline ran out and we weren't able to get a new person and plan in place to take it over. It might be gone for a few weeks but it will be coming back.

I will read the article later and post thoughts on it... I just can't get the idea out of my head..."I didn't know Gilbert Gottfried was a magic writer!"
Mr. Verhey, you are a brave man.

Nice article.

AA

Iron Chefs, begin!

Hats off to Gavin for what should be an exciting and educational column. I really got a lot out of the underlying methodology, such as deck archetypes, mana bases and why you would play X copies of a given card. It gets me asking better questions about my decks instead of just being lost. 

*applause*
I really learned alot from this article, I have to admit deck building is not my forte, I only play casually but I hope to learn alot more in the coming weeks. This is definately a good addition th Dailymtg.com.
Yep, to echo other sentiments (or be pathetic fanboy, depending on your point of view), stormer, I was loving it well before the meme, and it just maintained that level of relevance and entertainment that have been two of the growing strengths of your writing ever since I've had the pleasure of reading it. Well played sir, well played indeed.
Nice Article! I'm really eager for a more in depth article about how to build a good sideboard.
I enjoyed the article and I'm looking forward to reading the column in the future.

Helvault? Meh.

That's a Helvault of Golems!

Basically this deck wants to get out Golems fast, pump them and/or give them evasion, then swing for a lot.
It works well when ahead or even on the battlefield, but it's hard to catch up once falling behind.
I've won many a first game only to have my opponent sideboard and win the next two.

As requested(required), I added Helvault to exile redundent splicers. I also added Naturalize to destroy Helvault after playing a Parallel Lives to bring back the splicers and double the ETB effect.

UR Creature Steal

Lands
 6 Island
 4 Evolving Wilds
 1 Hinterland Harbor
 2 Rootbound Crag
 6 Mountain
 4 Sulfur Falls

Creatures
 4 Delver of Secrets
 4 Grim Lavamancer
 4 Snapcaster Mage

Spells
 2 Traitorous Blood
 3 Helvault
 4 Act of Treason
 4 Gut Shot
 4 Ponder
 2 Fling
 4 Mana Leak
 2 Faithless Looting

Sideboard
 3 Phantasmal Image
 3 Ratchet Bomb
 1 Forest
 3 Ancient Grudge
 3 Flashfreeze
 2 Arc Trail

Performed well against creature based strategies, zombies, creature ramp, etc. Performed badly against tokens (Sideboard Ratchet Bombs) and beefy planeswalkers (Gideon Jura) when unaccompanied by creatures. Sometimes lacks a way to finish the game after gaining control.
Quite good against Wolf-Run and zombies, the currently trending top decks. Unfortunately performs poorly against the third top deck, humans/tokens.
Snapcaster is the only difficult to acquire card.
I really like the 2 Faithless Lootings for when you get a second Helvault or too many lands in hand. Desparate Ravings might fit the slot, but I don't like the randomness of the discard that much. 4 Gut Shots might not be necessary and I wasn't too sure about the land base in that the amount of green sources might be too much for the Ancient Grudge sideboard splash. Possibility of going three colours?
You had me at Allons-y!

Seriously, I think this is a great article and starts with the basics.  Not all of us have been playing for years, and I for one need to hear this stuff.  Looking forward to more columns.
I have always liked reading the different columns on Daily MTG, because although I've gotten the grasp of the mechanics on how to play MTG (ex: tap mana, cast spell), it's been a long road getting the nuance of if/when to cast spells, how to focus in a deck, and mana:spell distribution.  If I paid attention, I would get some interesting ideas that I would never have thought of on my own from column to column.

This column is exactly what someone like me needs.   I have come a long way from opening and using my deckbuilder toolbox and showing up confidently (and Oh so naively) to FNM, to where I am today.  I no longer put together colors and spells I like for the sake of liking them. Although I've been playing for about 1.5 years, It's been strictly on my own, getting beating after beating at FNM, as that's only place I have to play and learn. I'm glad Wizards has decided to help out us poor wandering planeswalkers who could use more focus.  Oh look, shiney foiled card!

I lookf forward to providing a decklist and hopefully getting help.

Awesome intro column, love the sense of humor, and appreciated the archeypte and X card number break-down!
MY copy deck

undying evil  to copy thing but give me and edge.
counter magic.

use evil twin to destroy enemy copies

i put helvault in because i can use it to take my opponent scripture away after copying them.

i would like the deck a bit more budget friendly and hope that you can change for the better.

also a bit new to mtg tourneys so hoping to take this deck to an fnm tourney thanks!

Instant (12)

3x Mana Leak
1x Redirect
1x Cackling Counterpart
2x Lost in the Mist
2x Bone to Ash
3x Undying Evil

Land (26)

19x Island
5x Swamp
2x Nephalia Drownyard

Sorcery (2)

2x Diabolic Tutor

Artifact (2)

1x Mimic Vat
1x Helvault

Creature (20)

1x Frost Titan
3x Quicksilver Gargantuan
2x Consecrated Sphinx
4x Cryptoplasm
4x Phyrexian Metamorph
4x Phantasmal Image
2x Evil Twin

Sideboard

4x Forest
2x Deathmark
2x Flashfreeze
2x Distress
2x Naturalize
2x Surgical Extraction
4x Dismember

Welcome :-)

So you want a deck around a card i've never seen/played? Challenge accepted :-)

I like the Golem-Tribe and by including Helvault there should be the possibility of overwhelming the opponent. 
The deck is not for winning big tournaments, but it should win one or another FNM-Match, or at least a kitchen-table-round :-)

I haven't played it cause i'm still in from work, read your article and let my brain do the work ^^ However, some sort of funny tribal-deck. 

UW Midrange-Golem

Lands (24)
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Seachrome Coast 
3 Ghost Quarter
2 Evolving Wilds 
8 Plains 
3 Island

Creatures (16)
4 Blade Splicer 
4 Master Splicer 
4 Solemn Simulacrum 
4 Precursor Golem

Spells (16)
4 Mana Leak  
4 Ponder 
4 Day of Judgment 
2 Helvault
2 Timely Reinforcements 

Planeswalker (4)
2 Elspeth Tirel 
2 Gideon Jura

Sideboard 
2 Dissipate
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Celestial Purge
2 Dismember 
2 Divine Offering 
2 Negate 
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
2 Timely Reinforcements 

I eff-ing love Helvault. So much. Here is the deck I built around it after it came out:

Blue Helvault Standard

Lands

Islands x16

Phyrexia’s Core x3

Buried Ruin x3

Creatures

Invisible Stalker x3

Grand Architect x4

Kuldotha Forgemaster x2

Perilous Myr x4

Wurmcoil Engine x1

Spells

Manna Leaks x4

Stoic Rebuttal x4

Ponder x4

Artifacts

World Slayer x1

Piston Sledge x2

Spine of Ish Sah x1

Helvault x4

Ichor Wellspring x4

Sideboard

Shape Anew x2

Phyrexian Metamorph x3

Steel Sabotage x2

Dungeon Geists x2

Ghost Quarter x2

Grafdigger’s Cage x2

Caged Sun x1

Surgical Extraction x1

Kudos to Trick and whoever came up with this new column and the idea of having Gavin as the writer.

(Obviously it's not a replacement of Savor the Flavor, that will come later (right?), but it sure seems to fill a need.)

I really enjoyed today's column and will be looking forward to it next week.

erdana; color:black; font-size:11pt">I'm looking to go to my 1st FNM and trying to make a deck.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Matt 

"Myr, tigers and battlespheres, oh my!"

Creatures
X3 Hovermyr
X3 Gold Myr
X2 Myr Smith
X3 Myr Superion
X4 Alloymyr
X4 Adaptive Automaton
X4 Myr Galvanizer
X3 Myr Battlesphere

Spells
X2 Contagion Clasp
X4 Myr Turbine
X4 Myr Reservoir
X4 Tempered Steel

Lands
X2 Gavony Township
X4 Buried Ruin
X2 pristine talisman
X8 Plains
X4 Forest

I really like this article from what I've seen so far. I hope that it isn't removed once Savor the Flavor returns.

This is not the post you're looking for.

"A Vault Full o' Life"

CREATURES
4 Gold Myr
4 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Blade Splicer
4 Fiend Hunter
4 Leonin Relic-Warder
3 Mentor of the Meek
3 Sun Titan
4 Suture Priest

NONCREATURES
4 Oblivion Ring
3 Helvault

LANDS
19 Plains
4 Haunted Fengraf

SIDEBOARD
2 Grafdigger's Cage
3 Grand Abolisher
3 Celestial Purge
2 Divine Offering
3 Revoke Existence
2 Timely Reinforcements

I like the idea of using Helavault to help with some good old fashion comboing.
Exiling my Fiend Hunters and Relic Warders in response to their first ability hitting
the stack will cause whatever they targeted to stay exiled permenantly.
Metamorph is an all-star here, being able to copy Helvault to blow each other up.
Plus, we've got that little infinite loop with Relic Warder, meaning that Suture priest is a must.
Blade splicer is another nice target for the Vault, since her EtB makes up most of her bulk.
Mentor goes great with our various loops form Hunters/Warders/O-Rings, since most of our guy
hit his 2 or less requirement. And, by coincidence, most of our cards (including the vault itself)
can be grabbed by Sun Titan!

Gold Myr fills out the role of being adorable.

My problem: It is pretty bad at winning.
The "combo" itself is purely deffensive,and there are few win conditions in standard that can
take advantage of infinite life.
Most tests today with the deck led to myself losing from decking myself.
I think Mr. Verhey meant for people to use Respond Via Email as opposed to Discuss on the Message Boards.
I have no problems, I could just use a bit of time.
Great to have you writing again Gavin.  I've really missed you from SCG since you moved over here.
I was rather excited about this. Until i noticed he is forcing the use of a card that is all but unplayable in a competitive environment, which thereby means submitted decklists will a) be almost entirely untests and b) terribly weak.  Way to ruin a good thing.
I was rather excited about this. Until i noticed he is forcing the use of a card that is all but unplayable in a competitive environment, which thereby means submitted decklists will a) be almost entirely untests and b) terribly weak.  Way to ruin a good thing.

*shrugs* Nobody said all the decks he'd deal with would be competitive. In fact, it's likely that many of them won't.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

*shrugs* Nobody said all the decks he'd deal with would be competitive. In fact, it's likely that many of them won't.

Then Gavin totally blew it by insisting on Standard.
But, I'm going to assume that was due to pressure from higher up.

"Blinkvault"
3 warstorm surge
1 chancellor of the forge
3 memnite
4 mycosynth wellspring
2 ichor wellspring
2 mirrorworks
3 grand architect
1 argent sphinx
3 steel sabotage
1 disperse
2 silent departure
2 helvault
2 solemn simulacrum
3 worldslayer
4 preist of urabrask
The goal of this deck is to bounce your own stuff back to your hand and use warstormm surge to keep dealing damage. 

I think there's a typo in the article.

When you list example cards for each of the archetypes, you put Delver of Secrets in Aggro-control.

I think delver should have been an example card for every category...you know, right next to goyf

My forever unfinished blog of the 2010 MTGO Community Cup: if you're ever bored...