Signed in Blood: A 24 Hour Contest.

30 posts / 0 new
Last post

This is my first one of these, so please bear with me. 

As you know, WotC gave us an entertaining cycle of Pacts in Future Sight (Intervention, Negation, Titan, Slaughter, and Summoner's).  The goal of this tournament will be to make a new pact.  Entries will be judged on balance, creativity, and execution.  Anyone can join in on this until the time limit expires.

With that aside (and I do hope to become better at designing these contests in the future), have at it.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Devastation Pact -
* Sorcery
Destroy all creatures you don't control and tap all creatures you control.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay .  If you don't, you lose the game.

I imagine this is a spell that usually doesn't get paid for; it'd be more of a Johnny challenge along the lines of "How can you win in one turn with a clear board and no untapped creatures?"
Pact of Adrenaline
* Sorcery
Take an extra turn after this turn. At the beginning of that turn's upkeep, pay . If you don't, you lose the game. At the beginning of your end step that turn, you lose the game.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Huh, sorcery speed pacts....  That's different.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Pact of Silence -
Instant
~ is blue.
Counter target activated or triggered ability.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay . If you don't, you lose the game.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Pact of Non-Aggression
Instant
CARDNAME is white.
Tap any number of target creatures.
At the beginning of your upkeep, pay , where X is the number of target creatures. If you don't, you lose the game.
Ga'an never negotiated for peace; he always negotiated to buy himself more time with which to continue the war.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.

Pact of Silence -
Instant
Counter target activated or triggered ability.

There's something incredibly cute with how you can prevent the trigger by playing another one.

Also, updated the name. Forgot that it was a thing.

Yxoque wrote:

Pact of the Dragon
Instant
~ is blue, black, and red.
Gain control of target creature.  Its owner discards a card and you draw a card.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay and sacrifice a creature.  If you don't, you lose the game.
Don't believe the Dragon's lies.  There is always a price.
Time to be an enabler

Timespinner Pact
Instant
~ is blue.
Skip the next upkeep step.
At the beginning of your end step, pay . If you don't, you lose the game.
Pact of Violence
Instant
~ is black, red and green.
Destroy two target permanents.
At the beginning of your next end step, pay . If you don't, you lose the game.
"The power of dragons is something to fear, and to revere." -Sarkhan Vol.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
There's something incredibly cute with how you can prevent the trigger by playing another one.

That's actually the entire reason I designed the card. I mean, that's not its only function, but that was the inspiration.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Eternity Pact
Sorcery - Eldrazi
Creatures you control gain Annihilator 1.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay .  If you don't, you lose the game.  This ability can't be countered.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Pact of Banishment 
Instant

Pact of Banishment is white. 

Exile target creature.

At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay . If you don't, your opponent gains 10 life.

When I said it wasn't sarcasm, that was probably sarcasm. ~Thor665

Mafia Record

Mafia Games

Mana Symbols

Combat Step

Formatting?- What's that?- http://community.wizards.com/filter/tips

The pacts always seemed black to me. So, here's a black pact!

Pact with the Plaguelord
Instant (black)
Each creature gets -X/-X until end of turn and each player draws X cards, where X is the number of creatures on the battlefield.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay and X life. If you don't, you lose the game.
Power unending ... until it ends.
Final Pact
Instant

Search your library for a nonland card and cast it without paying its mana cost.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay that spell's mana cost and .  If you don't, you lose the game.

You'd better find one hell of a spell.
Final Pact
Instant

Search your library for a nonland card and cast it without paying its mana cost.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay that spell's mana cost and .  If you don't, you lose the game.

You'd better find one hell of a spell.

Turn five: Emakrul. GG. Every format. Every format. Or turn zero Platinum Angel.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
How is Emrakul gg?  You die on your next turn before it can attack (unless you can scrounge up the

That said, it has other problems.  I'll probably rethink this one.
How is Emrakul gg?  You die on your next turn before it can attack (unless you can scrounge up the

That said, it has other problems.  I'll probably rethink this one.

Ah, I didn't see "that spell's mana cost". That solves a lot of issues. Turn 1 Platinum Angel is still delicious, though.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
I will point out the following: Pandemonium + Final Pact'd Blightsteel Colossus = GG. Two card combo that's fairly cheap. Not infallible, but it might suggest the card may need some reworking.
Demonic Pact
Sorcery
Demonic Pact is black.
You may choose a card you own from outside the game and put it into your hand.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, pay and half your life, rounded up. If you don't, you lose the game.
Welp, if my clock can be believed, we've got about an hour left to go.  I'll start getting some grades done so we can have them mostly ready by the time things draw to a close.  These have been some really fun cards so far.

EDIT:  I lied, seems we've got about three hours left.

Extermination Pact
Instant (R)
Extermination Pact is white and black.
Exile target permanent.
Haunt (When this spell card is put into a graveyard after resolving, exile it haunting target creature.)
When the creature Extermination Pact haunts dies, exile target permanent.

Eh, close enough....contest closed.  I'll have grades posted momentarily.

This was a good batch of cards and it was pretty fun to try and grade them.  This being my first try at these things, please don't feel too put out if the grading didn't quite go the way you'd think.  I'm still a little new at this and the only way I'm going to learn is by trying. 

That said, here's the grades!

[spoiler Sleetfox]Devastation Pact -
Balance (7) Creativity (6) Execution (5) Total Score (18)

I must admit, I was really hoping someone would do a “Wrath Pact” of sorts and when I read your card’s name I got pretty excited.  Then my eyes caught the black mana symbols in the extra-cost and I nearly flipped with joy at a freebie Damnation.  Then I saw it was sorcery speed and that put a bit of a dent in my excitement since I was expecting instants, but I was willing to accept a sorcery pact for a black Wrath.  After reading the ability line though, I was a little put out.  I think this would have functioned better as an instant speed Rout (and only cost on the back-end instead of a Plague Wind. [/spoiler]

[spoiler Mown]Pact of Adrenaline
Balance (6) Creativity (5) Execution (6) Total Score (17)

I don’t really understand a sorcery speed pact version of Final Fortune.  What made the original cool was its instant speed.  While I’m a little up in the air over if an extra land drop and an extra one-drop in red (goblins) early on skews things towards the unbalanced end of the spectrum or not, I do know that I wasn’t very excited about this one.  It does function well enough though. [/spoiler]

[spoiler iamajellydonut]Pact of Silence
Balance (8) Creativity (8) Execution (9) Total (25)

I love this pact, and while that may be my love for blue shining through; this card makes for some fun plays.  Freebie Trickbind sounds like fun and while this card take a slight hit balance due to its storm-chain potential (you could cast four of these, each countering the other’s trigger until the last and only get away with having to pay on your next upkeep), overall this seems like a solid card. [/spoiler]

[spoiler pietro_aronica]Pact of Non-Aggression
Balance (7) Creativity (7) Execution (7) Total Score (21)

When judging these cards I skimmed over them to find the card that spoke to me as a good middle-ground baseline to judge from.  (Un)Fortunately, yours was the one that spoke the loudest.  It feels white, has a good name, and its back-end cost feels just balanced enough to keep from making the card too swingy but not cheap enough to be too exciting.  This feels like a “win more” or “lose slower” card.  If you’re using this because you lack sufficient blockers then you’re just using your mana to buy you time (which you’re not using to cast the spell you just drew to maybe turn the game around).  If you’re using it to clear away a few blockers then you’re either breaking a stalemate or already winning. [/spoiler]

[spoiler Koridian]Pact of the Dragon
Balance (5) Creativity (5) Execution (4) Total Score (14)

A Nicol Bolas pact seems like fun on a flavor level, but this one is just trying to do too much and isn’t doing it very well.  I think you meant “controller” instead of “owner” in your effect line since, by the original wording I could steal back a stolen creature of mine and get hit with the discard effect.  The sacrifice back-end cost just seems tacked on to be Nicol flavored.  [/spoiler]

[spoiler Exxile]Timespinner Pact
Balance (8) Creativity (7) Execution (7) Total Score (22)

I liked this pact because of its functionality.  The ability to clear an upkeep step has potential for some fun, and it seems balanced enough since if you use it on your own turn you’ll be paying for it on your turn anyway.  Something just doesn’t feel right about it and I’m not sure what.  It may be that between cards like Eon Hub and Paradox Haze, I expected the back-end cost to be in the 4 mana range. [/spoiler]

[spoiler Lobster667]Pact of Violence
Balance (5) Creativity (6) Execution (5) Total Score (16)

I’m not feeling freebie mini-Violent Ultimatum.  It seems swingy, especially in multiples with cards like Angel’s Grace.  I’m not even really sure how to fix this. [/spoiler]

[spoiler FirstTurnKill]Eternity Pact
Balance (4) Creativity (7) Execution (4) Total Score (15)

This card intimidates me a bit.  All that flashed through my mind while reading it was seeing my side of the board vanish in a deadly wave of destruction while hordes of goblins, elves, saprolings, and soldiers picked at my bloody corpse.  In just about any deck that can mass produce weenies and tokens, this card is a game ender, and most of those kinds of decks have the mana engines to cover this card if it somehow fails them. [/spoiler]

[spoiler PeregrineV]Pact of Banishment 
Balance (5) Creativity (7) Execution (4) Total Score (16)

I’m not going to lie; this was almost my favorite card here.  Your Swords to Plowshares pact was clean, elegant, and decently well costed on the back end.  The problem here is that its failure effect deviates way too far from how pacts operate.  This card becomes all kinds of crazy as a removal spell in a deck hosting False Cure and the like.  Also giving your opponent a 10 life boost isn’t really going to cause you to lose a game if you know it’s coming and build a deck for it accordingly. [/spoiler]

[spoiler TherealphatMatt]Pact with the Plaguelord

Balance (8) Creativity (8) Execution (5) Total Score (21)

This card is rather well balanced, and is an exciting mix of various iconic black cards.  The downside is that it is kinda hard to use without accidently killing yourself no matter what you do and you’re giving your opponents cards as well.  This card is effectively a death sentence in multiplayer and I’d almost be afraid to play it in single player games as well.  I won’t have much mana left on my upkeep to effectively use all the cards I may have drawn, and while I wiped the board, my life total may be pretty negligible. [/spoiler]

[spoiler EyeballFrog]Final Pact
Balance (3) Creativity (6) Execution (4) Total Score (13)

There’s not much to say about this that hasn’t already been said, besides how dangerously broken this could be in multiples.  If I’m on the draw, I could potentially cast two or more of these on yourfirst turn end step to fetch a Platinum Angel and Emrakul or Blightsteel and win on my first turn.  This card is too easy to subvert. [/spoiler]

[spoiler SimonGlume]Demonic Pact

Balance (7) Creativity (8) Execution (7) Total Score (23)

Death Wish pact could be lots of fun.  Its back-end cost isn’t too much of a burden and since wishes pretty much can only hit sideboards these days, it may not get too out of hand outside combo-style decks.  For this level of power I’d be willing to let the sorcery speed fly.[/spoiler]

[spoiler ulyth] Extermination Pact
Balance (8) Creativity (9) Execution (9) Total Score (26)

You just scratched my Orzhav itch in all the right ways.  Welding the Haunt mechanic to a pact was very creative indeed.  Actually, this card has me thinking back to Ravnica to see what other fun ways the guilds could have used the pacts.  I’m sure Hellbent would have been awesome, and Replicate or Radiance would have been fun to work with as well.  The back-end cost seems fair for what you’re getting, and the Haunt power can leave you in a bind if the haunted critter gets killed before you are ready.  Plus I always like Vindicate, but then again, who didn’t?[/spoiler]

And the winner is:  ulyth!  Congratulations! 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
But you got a nice shiny silver medal....which I'm sure is good for killing werewolves or something.  >_>

In my defence, my pact was SUPPOSED to nearly kill you, and be really risky to play.

Still, congrats to ulyth!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

You won in my book, for what it's worth.

@grades: My card wasn't all that serious, I liked having a card that tried to kill you twice in one turn. I don't see where you find the appeal of the Final Fortune being instant though, given that it's 100% irrelevant, as you will always cast it on your turn.
Oh, and SG's card was in no way balanced. Combo decks either win or lose the turn you cast it anyway (unless its some infinite life combo or lockdown or such), adding three virtual copies of your most vital card when going off is something I'm pretty sure is degenerate.

Yxoque wrote:

You won in my book, for what it's worth.

caldera heart

I'm 3/3 for "honorable mentions" in the last few contests I've been in. #4 is mine...
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Yeah, the multiple copies thing was a problem.  I meant to fix that by adding something about discarding your hand, but w/e, probably too powerful to print anyways.

Also, I just realized I totally should have made a Pact with Epic.  I'm not sure of the details, but it seems like a hilarious idea.