Character builder and Silverlight 5.0

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was updating characters tonight in our online CB when I had the CB crash and delete an entire character file.

I went to rebuild the 17th level wizard file from scratch and had it bug out in the feats section.  I contacted WotC and they informed me that apparently the CB is not compatible with Silverlight 5.0.  It was suggested that I download the old version.  

The only problem is when you download and install Silverlight 4.0 it autoupdates to 5.0 without any user intervention.  

If the CB is not compatible with Silverlight 5.0, then for our group this makes the program worthless and thus there is no point to continue to pay for DDI.

I certainly hope WotC is working on this issue.  Our session had to be ended tonight early since we could not update our characters.  If they cannot resolve this issue by next Saturday, I have no clue what we will do.  Some of our powers and feats are from the books and some are from Dragon magazine.

If anyone knows how to install Silverlight without it updating to 5.0, I would appreciate a heads up.  Thanks! 
I was updating characters tonight in our online CB when I had the CB crash and delete an entire character file.

I went to rebuild the 17th level wizard file from scratch and had it bug out in the feats section.  I contacted WotC and they informed me that apparently the CB is not compatible with Silverlight 5.0.  It was suggested that I download the old version.  

The only problem is when you download and install Silverlight 4.0 it autoupdates to 5.0 without any user intervention.  

If the CB is not compatible with Silverlight 5.0, then for our group this makes the program worthless and thus there is no point to continue to pay for DDI.

I certainly hope WotC is working on this issue.  Our session had to be ended tonight early since we could not update our characters.  If they cannot resolve this issue by next Saturday, I have no clue what we will do.  Some of our powers and feats are from the books and some are from Dragon magazine.

If anyone knows how to install Silverlight without it updating to 5.0, I would appreciate a heads up.  Thanks! 

This is three weeks old, so I hope you found a solution to your problem.  What version web browser are you using for this?  If it's IE9, have you tried running the Character Builder in compatibility mode?
I am having CB issues right now and a customer service agent just told me that the CB has been upgraded to work with Silverlight 5.0.  Can anyone confirm this?
Not as far as I can tell. I can neither get the CB to walk with Silverlight 4 nor 5 now.
I have not been able to use CB either. I just downloaded Silverlight 5.1. My browser is Firefox on a MacBook running 10.7.4.

Update:

CB now works with Silverlight 5.1 on the Mac (17 Sept 2012).
Thou art a lumpish folly-fallen miscreant! Shakespear
I've been using Silverlight 5.1 for quite a while on an XP machine with IE8 and a Win 7 machine with IE9 and I've never had any problems. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Keep On The Shadowfell" would be hailed as a brilliant, revolutionary triumph in game design if it were followed by the words "A Pathfinder Adventure Path by Paizo."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”