Fall From Heaven

Ever since stumbling on to it a few years ago, I have been enamored with the Fall From Heaven mod for Civ 4 (link here: forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?...; wiki: fallfromheaven.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page). Then I learned it was based on a 20 year old D&D campaign. I started reading the stories and fiction behind it and I was forever hooked. The ideas in each story are so gripping and completely thought provoking, with a kind of emotional pay off in storytelling I haven't often encountered. It was so good it brought me back to D&D after I had thought I was long finished with it.

Playing this computer game kicked off a power plant of ideas in me for quests and campaigns. Every unit in the game had a fundamental purpose, and an intwertined story so rich that reading about them was like watching an awesome tv show or book you can't put down. Every game played told such an intriguing world story with surprising twists and turns. It was so great I wanted even more.

So while this is coming off as a love letter to Fall From Heaven, its creator Derek 'Kael' Paxton and the whole of his entirely volunteer design team that made a mod even better than the original game itself, with D&D Next in the works I'm primarily here to see if there's any one out there like me, who runs a Fall From Heaven D&D campaign, and perhaps would love to see all of Kael and his team's hard work pay off in a new way. Who wouldn't like to see WotC approach Kael with some kind of offer or design to incorporate FFH into the future iteration D&D?

Currently, I'm having a ball bringing to life characters and archetypes from FFH to my 3.5 campaign for the players to see. I use the Civ4 FFH mod as a world map, and each turn played generates new and interesting ideas for D&D adventure. Sometimes, though, it has been quite the challenge using those rules to create NPCs, monsters, and character options that reflect well some of the powers, archtypes and characters of FFH. The pantheon has such incredible depth, the magic system is so intriguing with its underlying philosophies, the unique civilizations each encompassing and expanding on a different aspect of the fantasy genre, and the history so poignant with such human moments, it should be celebrated and trumpeted as one of the paragons of what Dungeons & Dragons can offer. Personally, I'd be ecstatic to see Fall From Heaven and D&D come together in some official capacity, probably as a book for a campaign setting.

If you fellow FFH fans are out there in these D&D forums, tell me what you think. Would you want to see Fall From Heaven have some kind of official integration into any products of WotC?
/agree on FFH being WAY better than the original game

You're right, FFH would make a great setting for D&D. I wouldn't get your hopes up though, since Kael may not have the rights to it (look at Blizzard vs Valve over DotA2; sure Valve will win, but I doubt WotC is willing to risk the court costs).
Hell yeah!

Let's see, what would a mimic prestige class look like in 4th edition?

Prereq: Balseraph and any multiclass power swap feat.
11th level action point thingie: Clowing Aroung: Any time you spend an action point, all allies w/in 10 squares can shift two squares
11th level additional feature: Fool Me Once, Shame on You: You gain +2 to defenses against any power that attacked your since the start of your last turn.
16th level additional feature:  All Things to All People: Any time you roll bluff or diplomacy, roll twice and choose the higher result.

11th level encounter power: Copy Cat
You may copy any one encouter or at-will attack power used against you since the start of your last turn.  If it is a weapon power you may use any weapon with it, ignore restrictions on specific weapon types (but you still have to use a ranged or melee weapon attack if the power specified ranged or melee).  If it is an implement power, you may use any implement for the attack.
Use your Charisma or Dex to make the attack and for damage regardless of the normal power's attribute.
You must abide by all other restrictions of the power (such as requiring combat advantage, etc)

12th level daily utility:
You may use any utility power that one of your allies has, level 20 or less.

20th Level Daily Attack:
As Copy Cat, but it can copy any attack power that has been used to attack yourself or any ally since the start of your last round (encounter, daily, or at-will).
Rule one isn’t “The DM is always right.” Rule one is: Everyone should be having fun at the table. Plans for 5e: Kill the d20, and replace it with a bell curve for task resolution.
That would be awesome. I'd buy it in a second. Heck, looking at the half million hits FFH has got it looks like it might be an option for WotC. Even posted a link to this in Civfanatics forum, but tylara's probably right. It could be messy getting rights from Kael and what happens to everybody else who contributed. They'd have rights too, I think.

Hey, got an idea. How about having people chime in with a way to bring FFH units into d&d terms. Found something in the Races of Eberron for 3.5 that looks like it'd cover the Mimics abilities for spells called the Recaster, and the Defiant in the same book would go great for Luonnotar.
wizards would be lucky to get their hands on fall from heaven. if they hired kael, magister, and killlerclowns to write for them they'd make a killing. anyway, tried making a ritualist through cleric levels, but found the warlock suited my needs better. also got this khazad dwarf druid player in my campaign who insists that because he's a dwarf druid his animal companion should be a giant bug. :sigh: players will do what players will do

Here's my take on an Agent of Esus. I'd also imagine a Bannor Devout using most of this but Ninja 3/Fighter2/Cleric 1/Shadowbane Stalker rest of the way.

Human Ninja 2/Fighter 4

Hp , BAB +5, Fort +9, Ref +3, Will +5 (+7 with Ki); Init +2; SZ Medium; Neutral Good

AC 19, touch 18, flat 17, (10 + 1 armor + 2 Dex + 4 Wis + 2 deflection), Spd 30ft

Str 10, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 8

Ninja Class Abilities: AC Bonus +1 (Ex), Ghost Step (invisible), Ki power 10/day, Sudden Strike +1d6, Trapfinding.

Attacks:

Ranged                 +9 (1d8+1, 19-20/x2) masterwork light crossbow, 80ft

Arterial Snipe    +9 (1d8+1+1/round, 19-20/x2) masterwork light crossbow, 60ft

Sudden Snipe    +9 (1d8+1+1d6, 19-20/x2) masterwork light crossbow, 60ft

Pierce the Foliage Ignore concealment after the previous round's hit

Dagger                  +5 (1d4, 19-20/x2)

Skills: Balance +7, Disable Device +6, Escape Artist +7, Hide +11, Listen +4, Move Silently +11, Search +6, Sense Motive +9, Spot +4, Tumble +9.

Feats: Arterial Strike, Crossbow Sniper, Expanded Ki Pool, Martial Stalker, Rapid Reload, Weapon Focus (light crossbow), Woodland Archer, WP (simple, martial, kama, nunchaku, sai, shuriken, siangham), AP (all).          1st: Expanded Ki Pool (CS), 1st bonus: Rapid Reload, 3rd: Martial Stalker (CS), 3rd fighter: Weapon Focus (light crossbow), 4th fighter: Crossbow Sniper (PHB2), 6th: Arterial Strike (CW), 6th fighter: Woodland Archer (RW)

Equipment: light crossbow, boot blade, sleeve blade, toxic tooth, Scry Shroud (M133), ring of protection +2, Acrobat Boots (M67)

Sign In to post comments