D&D Cartoon

I'd like to see a new D&D cartoon that supports WotC artistic vision for 5th edition.

D&D is awesome, whatever edition you play.  WotC... Hasbro needs to push D&D not 5th edition and a cool cartoon is the way to do it.

Wait, I just remember the Dragonlance movie.  Not like that, lol.

The old cartoon was well-written and well-animated.  For a saturday morning cartoon of its era, it's one of the better ones in retrospect.

Doing a new animated series could go two ways.  They could get the kind of minds behind it that made the latest rendition of My Little Pony a hit with the nerdic crowd, generating a "traditional" saturday morning cartoon that sells on the same principles as the old one (Fun to watch on its own, gets the D&D side well)

Or, they could embrace the edgier and more cerebral nature of WotC settings like Eberron and go the Anime route.  D&D *is* a 13+ game, so that might help get the show watched by the 13+ crowd, and it gives you more creative freedom about what sorts of topics you can hit, what can happen on the show, et cetera.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

The old cartoon was well-written and well-animated.  For a saturday morning cartoon of its era, it's one of the better ones in retrospect.

Indeed. Grew up on that one. I have the entire series.
I think I should clarify: when I say "goes the anime route" I don't mean necessarily needing a particular style of animation (though it helps; anime style animation acts as a "This is not [just] for kids" flag in the west).  I mean being willing to pump the 'rating' to PG-13 despite it being an animated show.  We've got no good term for this when used for western animation and precious few examples.  Avatar: the Last Airbender, the 90's Jonny Quest series, and Sonic SatAM all had somewhat more mature elements than their contemporaries, but they're still not really treading the same waters as Fullmetal Alchemist.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

I think I should clarify: when I say "goes the anime route" I don't mean necessarily needing a particular style of animation (though it helps; anime style animation acts as a "This is not [just] for kids" flag in the west).

This is true, though I'd say a certain KIND of anime acts as that flag. For example, it's pretty clear Yu-gi-oh is kid oriented just looking at it, but VHD isn't.  At least to me, that is.
I think I should clarify: when I say "goes the anime route" I don't mean necessarily needing a particular style of animation (though it helps; anime style animation acts as a "This is not [just] for kids" flag in the west).  I mean being willing to pump the 'rating' to PG-13 despite it being an animated show.  We've got no good term for this when used for western animation and precious few examples.  Avatar: the Last Airbender, the 90's Jonny Quest series, and Sonic SatAM all had somewhat more mature elements than their contemporaries, but they're still not really treading the same waters as Fullmetal Alchemist.

I'd kind of like to see a D&D cartoon with a Venture Brothers feel to it.  In a way, the Venture Bros almost feels like a D&D party to me: Brock is the barbarian kill machine, Orpheus is the mage, Doc is a pill-popping artificer, h.e.l.p.e.r. and the boys are comedic relief hirelings/henchmen, etc.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

make it a anime

Show
no don't
make it a anime

Show
no don't

Are you expressing a distate for anime, a desire for there to be no new D&D cartoon, or both?

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

neither
The old cartoon wasn't that well written (it was still the early 80s, before cartoon makers were allowed to go crazy with their shows and the "get along" message was forced) and it was partly animated by Toei; you can see animesque animation cropping up at places

Still, with the right people at the mantle it could be interesting. You know, like Lauren Faust and Rob Renzetti made My Little Pony into a phenomena that made half the internet unbearable

Also, this:
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
You had me at "Ponies".

But seriously, a well made cartoon would be pretty awesome. I'm not the world's biggest fan of anime, but if the scripts were solid, I'd watch it.

If a D&D cartoon is made it can't be in 3D. It has to be 2D. To retain that Ye Olde Feele.
But who do you think should make it? I personally think the Teen Titains/Transformers Animated team should be brought on, as both of those shows handled their group dynamics very well, and they also had a nice mix of story arc-based episodes and one-off episodes, both things I think would work great in a D&D cartoon.  Anyone else agree with me?
I don't have a problem with anime.

American imitation anime on the other hand...

It just feels like it's trying too hard.
Warner Brothers people; they're very solid technically.
But when it come to the art direction, I don't know... maybe the people behind The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes? Or go crazy and have Genndy Tartakovsky, Thurop Van Orman or Pendleton Ward on this :P
Motto - Don't Damn Me, Guns N' Roses http://adhadh.deviantart.com/ - my dA page adhadh.png
Hasbro, the parent company behind WotC, owns the HUB network and is using it to air shows based on other Hasbro product lines, such as My Little Pony, GI Joe, and Transformers. So they're receptive to ideas they own and don't need to licence or pay people to create. 
It wouldn't be that hard to pitch the idea up the chain of command. 

The problem, of course, is that TV shows are very expensive. They need to have a large audience to be worthwhile financially. D&D is small and niche. So it doesn't have the guaranteed audicence of Transformers or MLP. It's a big financial gamble. 
The fact we haven't heard anything yet is probably a good indication someone shot down the idea. Either because the audience is too small or they fear the negative reaction from the bad reputation D&D continues to have, or both. 

So it's just not going to happen. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

We have shows like Xena, Hercules, Once Upon a Time, and Game of Thrones, and shows like Avatar: the Last Airbender, Slayers, and Fullmetal Alchemist, and shows like Adventure Time! and Samurai Jack. So a D&D-like show is quite likely, but being a D&D-brand-name show...
Wasn't a fan of Hub's A-Team GIJoe or Transformers, though that was when they first started.

I think there is a lot of D&D merch, from board games to 5th and all the books.  D&D's time is now, so it would be a great moment to launch a cartoon, imho.

Hopefully a little darker, like a Young Justice which has a depressing feel to it, without the adult oriented shockers like Clone Wars has, that show gets really dark at times!  Something for the post Potter crowd.
Hasbro, the parent company behind WotC, owns the HUB network and is using it to air shows based on other Hasbro product lines, such as My Little Pony, GI Joe, and Transformers. So they're receptive to ideas they own and don't need to licence or pay people to create. 

The problem, of course, is that TV shows are very expensive. They need to have a large audience to be worthwhile financially. D&D is small and niche. So it doesn't have the guaranteed audicence of Transformers or MLP. It's a big financial gamble. 
The fact we haven't heard anything yet is probably a good indication someone shot down the idea. Either because the audience is too small or they fear the negative reaction from the bad reputation D&D continues to have, or both. 

I wouldn't rule it out, there is the possibility of it being tied up in licensing which is a pretty common problem with things, that could be the primary reason we don't see it.

I wouldn't rule it out, there is the possibility of it being tied up in licensing which is a pretty common problem with things, that could be the primary reason we don't see it.

Well, the old cartoon was Marvel Productions (now Marvel Studios) which also did GI Joe and Transformers. Given Hasbro managed to secure the lincesnces of their old properties back it shouldn't be a problem to get the rights for a new D&D show, even if Disney managed to maintain the rights.

On second thought, there are also the TV-films on Syfy, suggesting whomever is doing that has the rights. Given they haven't aired the finished movie that was meant to pair with Book of Vile Darkness it seems likely Syfy has little interest airing the properties. 
But even if the D&D rights are locked away with Syfy, there's nothing preventing a Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance TV show. 

Since we've seen nothing in twenty years the answer remains the same. Unprofitable paired with being seen as inappropriate for children and fear of negative publicity. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

I'd be hip to it. Regardless of American or Japanese animators, the animation needs to be of good quality. And a lot of emphasis needs to be put on the story and characters. And learn from anime, go with a continuitous, serial story line--rather than a buch of one-shot episodes.
Just animate Order of the Stick.
Problem Solved.
it should use action figure stop-motion like Action League Now and Robot Chicken

or Wallace & Gromit style claymation

D&D itself might be small and niche yes but the stories it helps support i.e mainly fantasy high low whatever isn't niche at all I don't think the hypothethical show would be about very specific D&D-ism like a episode devoted to making sure you have enough healing potions for the dungeon or haggling with the DM to finnaly let you pass though his stupid riddle puzzle based on that one poem he read in Lit class.

It would be just good fun fantasy show, with the D&D in the title because hey whe're here to promote D&D and the could set up the characters using D&D classes,with at least one of them not the classic's from the PHB I hope, and use all the monster and classes and spells but keeping it in the background i.e not having a who was Bigby as a essential plot point.
I wonder if Hasbro makes (action-figures) toys of D&D franchise the idea of a new D&D cartoon show would be possible.

If there are movies of G.I.Joe and Transformers, why not a really good blockbuster of D&D, or a cartoon show?

For me, the most important one is funny stories (like the level of Adventures of Hercules, played by Kevin Sorbo).

What do you think about a hypotetical web-serie? Somethink like a action-comedy or parody, with haflings, gnomes and a goblin PC, a fantasy "light" South Park for children.          

Other option is a no-D&D franchise like test (I talk about urban arcana or d20 Future settins. what about d20 Spectacular?).  

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I think it would be smart branding to do a D&D animation.  It would help bring new players to a dying hobby.  We do run into a few things that need to be considered, though.

Western-produced animation for television has been losing out to Japanese anime for years, and a D&D anime might be decent, but has a chance of suffering anime-tropes like ridiculously oversized swords and hair, becoming more "JRPG"ish and getting away from what most existing D&D players familiarize the game and its atmosphere with.

What Western animation that is produced these days is often done in Flash, and looks kinda crappy and mechanical.  These shows are cheap to produce which is why I think the studios do it, but I don't know of any Flash-animated cartoons that ever became really popular.  (Actually: Poinies, my bad.)  High budget non-Flash TV animation like Spongebob exist, but it has the benefit of being created before things really changed in the animation world and got really popular.  Same for most of the adult toons (Family Guy and Simpsons, namely.)

3D-animation for TV is super expensive, but I've seen a few shows that have done it where it doesn't look super high budget, while not looking horrible either, but this is hard to pull off.

it should use action figure stop-motion like Action League Now and Robot Chicken

or Wallace & Gromit style claymation

I think stop-motion like what we see in Action League Now and Robot Chicken looks pretty cheap.  Cheapness in animation works for funny shows (classic South Park, Aqua Teen) but I imagine a new D&D cartoon would probably mainly be about adventure, action and drama, so they'd need to invest more.

I like how you are thinking because I love claymation like Wallace & Gromit, but claymation is pretty intensive, for something that looks that good takes a long time, which is why I think there have been very few claymation TV series in history (W&G animations have all been one-offs, each one took years to make.) 

a D&D anime might be decent, but has a chance of suffering anime-tropes like ridiculously oversized swords and hair, becoming more "JRPG"ish and getting away from what most existing D&D players familiarize the game and its atmosphere with.

It depends on the art direction. Record of Lodoss War was made of elemental D&D. It's not like all Western animation has those artificial Hanna-Barbera head turns and nods whenever a character speaks, right? ;)
Why not just resurrect the 80's cartoon, but bump the target demographic up about ten years?
All the basic bits were there, but the mentality of Standards and Practices in the 1980's turned it all into a "the complainer is always wrong" morality play laid on top of the old Failure is the Only Option trope - with laser guns somehow.

Just go read what Mark Evanier had to say about it:
www.povonline.com/cols/COL145.htm
a D&D anime might be decent, but has a chance of suffering anime-tropes like ridiculously oversized swords and hair, becoming more "JRPG"ish and getting away from what most existing D&D players familiarize the game and its atmosphere with.

It depends on the art direction. Record of Lodoss War was made of elemental D&D. It's not like all Western animation has those artificial Hanna-Barbera head turns and nods whenever a character speaks, right? ;)

You're absolutely right, it can go different ways no matter what culture produces it, but depending on what culture produces it is what potential problems could come up with its creative direction.

I remember seeing an Animatrix-style anime compilation of Batman shorts released after The Dark Knight, can't remember what it was called.  But it seemed to attempt to capture a Nolan-esque portrayal of Batman.  I liked many of the shorts, I think most nailed it, were very grimdark and well done, while all having a different narrative style and feel.  But I remember cringing for at least one or two where Bruce Wayne basically looked like your stereotypical delicate, wide-eyed effeminate pretty boy with silky hair, a familiar-looking protagonist for some anime-fans I'm sure, but I felt COMPLETELY betrayed the essence of the character that is Bruce Wayne.

Personal interpretation, sure.   I bet many people didn't care about the character.  But some people do.  I am just saying I don't think many D&D fans, myself included, would like seeing D&D going too much in a direction that only makes sense in anime.  We probably wouldn't like it if all the characters dropped anvils on each other and had bulgy eyes either, but I do feel a Western studio has a little less potential of relying on the tropes that wouldn't be fitting for what would work.

That beiung said, Japanese have always been better at doing mature themes in animation, probably since there has been a lot more experience in this. Western animators would love to work on mature stuff but more often than not the market for mature cartoons is lacking over here, at least outside the realm of comedy.
Western-produced animation for television has been losing out to Japanese anime for years, and a D&D anime might be decent, but has a chance of suffering anime-tropes like ridiculously oversized swords and hair, becoming more "JRPG"ish and getting away from what most existing D&D players familiarize the game and its atmosphere with.

I think you find an anime studio and task them with making the cartoon as un-anime as possible.  I am sure they are aware of anime tropes, ask them to go against all that. 

I'd like a gritty D&D cartoon with flashes of brilliant magic.  It could be D&D monster of the week, with some genuine character development in the background.  A small party in search of the McGuffin.  Play up to the uniquely D&D stuff, like vancian magic while hitting the notes of the genre everyone wants to see. 

Some liked RoLW.  I prefer Rune Soldier Louie, made in the same world as Record of the Lodoss War.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
What Western animation that is produced these days is often done in Flash, and looks kinda crappy and mechanical.  These shows are cheap to produce which is why I think the studios do it, but I don't know of any Flash-animated cartoons that ever became really popular.  (Actually: Poinies, my bad.)  High budget non-Flash TV animation like Spongebob exist, but it has the benefit of being created before things really changed in the animation world and got really popular.  Same for most of the adult toons (Family Guy and Simpsons, namely.)

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends has also shown how to use Flash properly.
I find Family Guy animation simply awful (and the "humor" dull, if anyone cares).
It depends on the art direction. Record of Lodoss War was made of elemental D&D.

Indeed.

More RoLW lore: Lodoss War stared out as a D&D (specifically "Basic" D&D) game. Sessions of the game were serialized in a Japanese gaming magazine as an example (or "re-play") of how D&D plays. From there it became a series of novels, then an anime and blah blah blah. The creators of RoLW contacted TSR in an attempt to publish the setting as a licenced D&D product, but were shot down. So they created their own RPG.
Thanks, Azzy1974.

Tower of Druaga: Aegis of Uruk was good D&D too (I felt its sequel, Sword of Uruk, had narrative pacing problems, but anyway). If you're looking for an indicative episode, start with episode 2; the first episode is an intentional gag where they throw in every trope overused in Japanese fantasy adventure they can find, speaking of studios being trope-savvy.

PS: I care and agree, ADHadh. ;)
If we got a D&D adventure story in the same vein as Pirates of Dark Water with the newer animation styles of Young Justice or the re-booted ThunderCats then I'd be happy.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Wow, Pirates of Dark Water...  I'm running a Spelljammer campaign based on that.

Wow, Pirates of Dark Water...  I'm running a Spelljammer campaign based on that.

Pirates of Dark Water was awesome.  It'd be more awesome if they had actually gotten to finish the story.  I'd give my eye teeth to get a hold of that property just so I could finish the story officially.
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." --Bill Cosby (1937- ) Vanador: OK. You ripped a gateway to Hell, killed half the town, and raised the dead as feral zombies. We're going to kill you. But it can go two ways. We want you to run as fast as you possibly can toward the south of the town to draw the Zombies to you, and right before they catch you, I'll put an arrow through your head to end it instantly. If you don't agree to do this, we'll tie you this building and let the Zombies rip you apart slowly. Dimitry: God I love being Neutral. 4th edition is dead, long live 4th edition. Salla: opinionated, but commonly right.
fun quotes
58419928 wrote:
You have to do the work first, and show you can do the work, before someone is going to pay you for it.
69216168 wrote:
If you can't understand how someone yelling at another person would make them fight harder and longer, then you need to look at the forums a bit closer.
quote author=56832398 post=519321747]Considering DnD is a game wouldn't all styles be gamist?[/quote]
i love to see a new show be it cartoon or anime.  i love to see it set in forgotten realms, ebbron or give us world setting for were Nentir vale is based

on a side note what class/race  combo would peaple like to see.

here what i thinking.       human figth
                                     eladrin mage
                                     half-elf cleric ( i think making mage and Cleric 1/2 sibling, would make for same intertesion storys)
                                     halfing rouge 
                                     elf ranger

i do think adding Dragon or dwarf but not sure what class they shold be     

I wonder if Hasbro makes (action-figures) toys of D&D franchise the idea of a new D&D cartoon show would be possible.

I'd love to see McFarlane do Strongheart and Warduke figures!

Another really good anime that has a D&D feel is Moribito.

I'd even like to see direct to dvd movies like DC has done, maybe start animating some of the classic adventures. Castle Amber ... Against the Giants ... Ravenloft etc... As long as the animation was better then the Dragonlance movie.
There is a option, like a test, a comedy-action flash cartoon for internet, something like the gnome "Ahrrrr I´m a monster" (Do you rebember?).  A "light" cartoon about gnomes and haflings heroes like the D&D equivalent of the cartoon "Pop Pixie", with a piece of "magical girls" + paranormal romance and lots of comedy. I´m not talking about a plagiarism of cartoon "Trollzs" of course, but a epic comedy like Disney´s Aladdin. 

Aladdin, the Disney TV cartoon show is a good example how the D&D one ought to be.  

What do you thing about the anime/manga/novels of Slayers?

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

There is a option, like a test, a comedy-action flash cartoon for internet, something like the gnome "Ahrrrr I´m a monster" (Do you rebember?).  A "light" cartoon about gnomes and haflings heroes like the D&D equivalent of the cartoon "Pop Pixie", with a piece of "magical girls" + paranormal romance and lots of comedy.

See also:
Just animate Order of the Stick.
Problem Solved.