The Ultimate Champion of Flopfoot's Contest

155 posts / 0 new
Last post
(We are currently in the finals bracket, and are no longer accepting new entrants).

Been a while since I ran a contest. Thought I might run one so I can sit back and let you do all the creative thinking.

There are nine rounds. The first six rounds are open to any and all. The winners of these rounds make the final bracket. If you're already in the final bracket you can participate in subsequent rounds but you can't win them. Rounds are approx. 2 days long.

Make cards that are original, well designed, flavor resonant and somewhat balanced if you want to win. There are no numerical grades, just subjective comments and decisions from me. You may appeal to any player archetype you like or even create limited filler unless otherwise specified. If you think I won't 'get' your card, you may include an explanation.

In addition to the six round winners there will be two wild entries into the final bracket based on who else I think should be in. The final three rounds will be for that bracket only, single elimination style, to determine who is the Ultimate Champion of Flopfoot's Contest!

Winners so far - Elzaban_the_Ethereal, TPmanW, Jessica_Morgan, Exxile72, theatog, AzureShade

Round 1 - make a large non dragon flying creature. I don't want to see anything too similar to Goliath Sphinx or Baneslayer Angel.
I want to make a green one.
But for now I'm stuck doing homework.

Southbound Flight :G::G::G:
Creature - Bird
Flying
When ~ dies put five 1/1 green bird creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
 5/5
"Every year the sunwings travel across the seas in numbers to blot out the skies in search of a new paradise for the cold season" - Travels across Jamura. 

I figure this is about right for a green flyer. Bomby but overcosted. Regrettably similar to hornet queen but I like the idea of a giant flock of birds being a Magic card. I could kind of see it fitting into say Mirage.
I always wanted to see a couple more green bird creatures.
Inspired by my work on Kralis, I present an angel of the Neverborn:

Weeping Angel
Enchantment Creature - Angel Spirit
Flying, Vigilance
Whenever Weeping Angel deals combat damage, put X +1/+1 counters on it, where X is the number of enchantments you control.
"Why am I forsaken? I cannot remember my sin, and yet I feel so lost. Perhaps the fading light in your eyes can tell me..."
5/5
large flying thing right

Weaver of Souls

Creature - Vampire Spirit
Flying
Whenever a creature dealt combat damage by ~ is put into a graveyard, return it to play under your control. It becomes a 2/2 spirit and gains flying.
or sacrifice a creature: Regenerate ~.
4/4 

something like that. 
hello! i'm a signature!
Round One: Make a large non-Dragon flying creature

Cirrus Elemental --
Creature - Elemental
Flying
When Cirrus Elemental enters play, return each tapped creature to its owner's hand, then tap all other untapped creatures.
Evoke
"I would rather listen to the wind skreeling in off the brine, or the breath of dead sailors, than that horrific sound." -- Alsussan, lighthouse tender
5/5
If you win an earlier contest, are you barred from participating in a latter one, or in the case should you win again, it is passed on to the runner-up (and so on, if it turns out the same professionsals were winning again and again.)

Voracious Skypede
Creature - Insect
Flying
When Voracious Skypede enters the battlefield or at the beginning of each upkeep, Voracious Skypede fights another target creature with flying. If that creature dies this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Voracious Skypede.
The jungles out of worthy prey, the predators evolved so as to have a taste of the magnificent beasts of the skies.
7/7 
Antidracanth

Creature – Shapeshifter
5/5

Flying, changeling
Antidracanth is not a Dragon.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

NoUnderscore's flavor text is awesome.  Also, the name inspired me.

Cumulo Niblis
Creature — Spirit Elemental
Flying
Whenever ~ becomes tapped, tap all other untapped creatures and untap all other tapped creatures.
"'Twere a storm, alright.  Like one you've never known."
—Hafle of the Night's Watch
5/5

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM

AEthereal Reaver 
Creature - Demon Illusion
Flying
When ~ attacks, return target creature to owner's hand unless he or she pays 2 life.
5/4
"It prowls the mists south of The Wall, preying on the unprotected."  -Nakket, border guard.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Antidracanth

Creature – Shapeshifter
5/5

Flying, changeling

lol, Bravo!

Reality Winder 
Creature - Elemental
Flying
When § enters or leaves the battlefield, all creatures phase out
5/5

Intellect Thief
Creature - Specter
Flying

~ gets +X/+X, where X is the number of cards in your hand minus the number of cards in target opponent's hand. X cannot be less than 0.

Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, look at that player's hand and choose a non-land card from it. The player discards that card and you draw a card.

2/2

It steals your dreams and leaves you nightmares.

In a vaccum (or limited) he's obviously not huge, but in constructed with a decent amount of discard he should be quite a fatty.
Maw of Hell
Creature - Incarnation
Flying, defender
Each creature you don't control attacks ~ as though it were a Planeswalker each turn if able.
Whenever a creature attacks ~, ~ blocks that creature.
Despite all common believes, hell is actually above us and opens from the sky.
13/13

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Regal Simurgh
Creature - Simurgh M
Flying
Whenever a creature with flying you or a teammate controls dies, put a feather counter on Regal Simurgh.
Creatures you and your teammates control with flying get +1/+1 for each feather counter on Regal Simurgh.
4/4

Blood of Dralmora -
Creature - Elemental
Sacrifice a creature: If that creature had flying, ~ gains flying. The same is true for first strike, haste, lifelink, reach, trample, and vigilance. (This effect lasts indefinitely.)
Constantly changing. Constantly adapting. Constantly roiling. The inhabitants must be as fierce as the land itself or be swallowed by it.
7/4

(p.s. Yes, "Dralmora" is supposed to be the name of the world.)

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Flying, changeling

Swag.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Servant of the Sun -
Creature - Elemental Angel
Flying, double strike, haste
Cast ~ only if you have more life than any opponent.
3/4
I serve only the most glorious of masters.
Bloodborn Vampire
Creature - Vampire
Bloodthirst 5
Flying, Intimidate, First Strike, Trample
0/0

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Round 1 is over.

TPmanW - Southbound Flight - It's a Symbiotic Wurm with flying. I'm not sure how well the flavor of 'pack of birds split up into single birds when removed' works. I think it is cool though.

Jessica_Morgan - Weeping Angel - I guess in your set that color pair has an enchantment subtheme? This card is kind of hard to use because you need to do three things - get your large creature out; and have it live long enough to hit something; and have a bunch of enchantments out. But I could see someone building around it with defensive cards like Pacifism and Ghostly Prison. Also I like how it can trigger twice per turn cycle.

shadowfyre77 - Weaver of Souls - This card has about four different features that don't really relate and that hurts resonance. I do like the choice of costs to regenerate it. I don't like how when it steals enemy creatures it makes them smaller (potentially), and it creates memory issues to remember which creatures are 2/2's. If you want this to be a guy who steals enemies, then take out the 2/2 and flying. If you want this to punish chump blockers, just make it give you a 2/2 flying token instead of stealing their guy.

NoUnderscore - CirrusElemental - Why does it tap all other untapped creatures? That feels anti-synergistic with the other ability since you want to cast this pre-combat so it doesn't bounce your own creatures. It's not like it's a Thundermare which wants to tap their guys so it can get through with haste, or like a Dread Cacodemon that needs it for balance so you don't kill them immediately. Nor does it have flash so that you could use the tap defensively. If you remove that tap down clause, then you've actually got a pretty cool card, a blue Sunblast Angel with evoke.

Stigma_Lasher - Voracious Skypede - (btw, I answer that question in the contest rules above. Yes, you can still play if you win, and if you win again, it is passed on to the runner up and so on). Why is it at the beginning of each upkeep instead of your upkeep? Not powerful enough already? I do like that style of trigger, though I think the titans do it better "when this enters the battlefield or attacks". I'm not sure green should have a 'vampire' ability (though I do get that it is flavored as eating), or an efficient flyer - even considering the flavor text, it makes more sense for this to have reach. This might be better in multicolor like black red (black for vampire, red for fight, like Vein Drinker).

chin keeyong - Antidracanth - Cute, but what's the point? If I was to take this card seriously (which I don't think I'm supposed to), I'd say that Dragon is one of the best creature types for changelings to have due to Crucible of Fire.

FurstTurnKill - Cumulo Niblis - The name reminds me of that movie 'Up'. The ability took a while to process. Effectively, it gives my guys vigilance if I attack with everything, and it switches which of their creatures can block. Situationally very powerful, if you have creatures they don't want to attack into, then they won't be able to block either - but on the flip side, if they're attacking you with something very big, then you don't want to untap it when you attack back. It can also be Johnnyed up, creating an infinite combo with Aphetto Alchemist and Paradise Mantle for example. The key to this card is the flavor, I think it would take a very talented artist to convey that it's a creature representing a storm so powerful that it turns everything upside down.

AzureShade - AEthereal Reaver - The ability is out of scale with the creature. Powerful creatures need powerful abilities otherwise they feel irrelevant. I like the flavor that it scares people away and harms the ones brave enough to stay, but I wonder if it could still be as resonant if it didn't offer the option to pay 2 life (it just scares things away). When an ability offers your opponent a choice, both choices should be powerful so that the choice feels meaningful. However, noobs seem to like those sort of effects even when they're not - Vectis Dominator isn't rated as low as I expected.

Degauss - Reality Winder - Phasing is an ability that I don't think R&D ever plans to bring back because it's confusing rules-wise. This card has an interesting drawback that it leaves you wide open for the opponent to attack you. However, putting the ability also when it leaves play is a double edged sword. If you can trigger it on the opponents turn, you can get a nice attack in, but if the opponent kills it on your turn, they will stop you attacking and also make you wide open again. I fear it would create too many feel bad moments.

Exxile72 - Intellect Thief - It's a complicated Maro crossed with a complicated Hypnotic Specter. Although the abilities have synergy, I don't think you really need them together. People are already used to using the other cards in their deck to support their maros, and specters want to be cheap mana wise to have maximum impact. I like the idea but I think Guul Draz Specter, Sturmgeist and Nyxathid did it simpler and better.

theatog - Maw of Hell - Here is a card that makes me sit up and go wtf! It might have to be reworded to work in the rules but that is not important. The flying is mechanically redundant (though I'd love to Plummet this) and a red 13/13 defender feels weird but the flavor comes through very well, I like the reference to the older card, and red has no trouble finding a way to exploit a large creature anyway.

Elzaban_the_Ethereal - Regal Simurgh - It's a Soulcatchers' Aerie that also works for your teammates and isn't tribal specific. Why not? I'd rather it be worded in the style of Joraga Warcaller instead of using feather counters, that way it can benefit from graft etc. It's cool how this card encourages a team to design their decks together, like 'all flying team', though that could be complicated because it's not a straight lord, it would also require them to all have sacrifice effects in their decks or something.

iamajellydonut - Blood of Dralmora - This doesn't exactly fit the round's criteria. I like the flavor of a creature that is the blood of the world. Normally you don't want to sacrifice a creature just to give an ability to another creature, but since it is instant speed it is a 'visible combat trick' to ward off enemies, also a sacrifice outlet, and since the creature is so big it might be worth sacrificing an Uktabi Drake to hit them for 7 in their air right away (that card was also used in the old Cairn Wanderer deck, which was awesome).

FogRaider - Servant of the Sun - Although there are some who are fans of it, most players are really frustrated by a card that you randomly can't cast/use sometimes. It needs a good flavor, balance, or rules reason, or be a build around card or a gimmick (see Feast of Blood, Mox Opal, Talara's Battalion, Barren Glory and Force of Savagery respectively). It's better to even have a small effect when the criteria is not met like with Dispatch and Serra Ascendant. I do understand the flavor of your card but not sure it justifies the frustration. I do like how both of the card's colors help you to get closer to meeting the criteria but in different ways.

Zokorad - Bloodborn Vampire - See my comments to FogRaider immediately above. This would be better even as a 1/1 with bloodthirst 4, I think. Why does a card need three types of evasion unless it is really huge? Especially considering that to get the bloodthirst in the first place you are probably keeping the opponent's battlefield free of creatures anyway.

Phew, I forgot how long grading takes. There were a lot of decent cards this round but only a few that really stood out to me. I don't want to give the impression that I just go for the weirdest card, but I would have gone with theatog's card if it wasn't for a post after it that impressed me.

Elzaban_the_Ethereal wins round 1 with his card 'Regal Simurgh'! I had to look up what a Simurgh was on wikipedia... I definitely think it could be added to Magic some day.

Honorable mentions go to Jessica_Morgan, theatog, iamajellydonut, and NoUnderscore. You don't have to get an honorable mention to be eligible for a wildcard entry after round 6, it's just my way of highlighting who else I think did a good job.

---

Round 2 begins

Gonna go with one of mine and Maro's favorite kinds of cards.

Make a 'you win the game' or 'opponent loses the game' card; or make a card that majorly supports an existing alternate win condition (mill or poison); or add a new alternate win condition to the rules of Magic, then make a card that supports that win condition.
Magocalypse
Sorcery
Exile all graveyards, hands, libraries and permanents. Until the end of the turn, any player may pay four life to play any exiled card they own without paying its mana cost. At the end of the turn, the player with the highest life total wins the game.

Make those spells count, 'cause the game's about to end in blood and fire. I'm not entirely certain how fun or unfun it'd be in average play; I know my play group would like to end the off game or two like this, but that's not necessarily indicitive of how everyone else would play.

Ah well. Let's see how it hashes out.

Yllom, Seed of the Divine
Legendary Creature - Krakken Avatar
~ can't be the target of spells or abilities you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a non-token creature. If 3 other creatures have been sacrificed in this way, you win the game.
"Our Almighty has given us this gift. It must not be squandered. It commands your life and it will have it." -Grimoire XI of the Divine
0/1

It's an Egg. Cut out counters in an effort to prevent cheating. Hoping this will still function properly. "Other" clause is included to allow the Egg to sacrifice itself, but not win the game if it does. I wanted to make it a Nightmare, but three creature types is a bit over the top.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Can I use a card I made for a different contest here?

Last round's card probably should have sacrificed itself to split up into tokens. Maybe those tokens should have a "sac five of these to get your bird back" ability. 
This idea came from New Phyrexia. Essentially, Karn is able to recreate a Phyrexian Planar Portal and reconfigure it to be an escape device for the remaining Mirrans. (Also, it feels like an alternate Darksteel Reactor... very Mirrodin)

Evacuation Portal

Artifact
Hexproof
Exile a creature you control, : Put a refugee counter on ~
If ~ has 10 or more refugee counters on it, you win the game.
What you see as a defeat, your decendants will see as a great victory!
-Karn, to evacuating Mirrans 
About Last Round: If your worried about not getting Damage Through make a Bloodthirst - Evasion Deck with Cards like Goblin Fireslinger and Tormented Soul and other good Bloodthirst Cards.

Back to this round:

Mind Reactor
Enchantment
Whenever you Draw a Card reveal it then target Player puts Cards from the Top of their library into thier Graveyard equal to its Converted Mana Cost.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Can I use a card I made for a different contest here?

Yes

Lucky Sevens 
Instant
During your end step, if you have exactly seven cards in hand, seven permenants on the battlefield, and seven life, you win the game.
"Spin the wheel, roll the dice, pull the lever, hope it's nice!" - Goon, Goblin Gambler

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Given that I can't win this round, here's a weirder card.

Hippocratic Ascendant
Creature - Cleric Avatar R
Tap an untapped Cleric creature you control: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player.
Whenever damage that would be dealt to you or a creature you control is prevented, you get that many healing counters. When you have at least 100 healing counters, you win the game.
0/4
Aria of Minds -
Enchantment
At the beginning of your end step, scry 2 if you have one or more cards in hand. Then draw a card if you have four or more cards in hand. Then you win the game if you have ten or more cards in hand.

Scry is just too darn elegant compared to writing out "Look at the top blah cards of your library and put them back in any order." Better, too.
The Guild
World Enchantment
At the beginning of each upkeep, if a player controls more permanents than each other player, he or she loses the game.
At any time, a player may sacrifice any number of permanents he or she controls.
They ensure all war is conducted within the laws of chivalry, first and foremost.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Corsican Brothers
Creature - Avatar
Flying
Whenever Corsican Brothers enters the battlefield, put a token that is a copy of Corsican Brothers onto the battlefield under target opponent's control.
Whenever an opponent would win the game, instead you win the game.
4/6
No penalty? I don't see how that's possible. I suppose I'll join in anyway.

Crumbling Empire |
Enchantment

At the begining of each players upkeep, he or she puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the amount of life that player has more than you plus the amount of cards in hand that player has more than you plus the number of permenants that player controls more than you.

The bigger they are...

3,000th post: September 5, 2010 4,000th post: March 24, 2012

Winner of the YMTC Ravnica War of the Guilds contest as guild Dimir.

Snapcaster Mage is the best card of all time. How do you deal?

Well, I thought I was being pretty damn creative, but I'm already placing my bets on another card. 
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Witless Discrimination
Enchantment
When a player has 10 or fewer cards in his or her library, he or she loses the game.
The end is closer than you think, if you know what I mean.

As always, I believe mill needs love.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Witless Discrimination
Enchantment
When a player has 10 or fewer cards in his or her library, he or she loses the game.

Isn't it a disenchantable, overcosted, double edged Glimpse the Unthinkable?
Witless Discrimination
Enchantment

Isn't it a disenchantable, overcosted, double edged Glimpse the Unthinkable?

nope. coz' it affects everyone in multiplayer and it doesn't wait until you draw.

It also ignores the fact that a player may have infinite recursion with a creature/artifact in your graveyard plus volrath's stronghold or academy ruins. or simply not drawing.

It will certainly beats laboratory maniac as well. It's not the most versatile cards but it seals the deal for milling incredibly, while also lol funny when you play against dredge. I guess I can lower the cost by 1. but I don't like win/lose con too easily accessible. IMO, some of the entries are ridiculously easy.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Alzahva, the Overmind m
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Flying
During your upkeep you win the game if you control six or more creatures with the same name as a nontoken creature you control.
Grandeur — Put a token into play that’s a copy of target creature.
3/4
Woo! Card is done. Flavor came out nicer than I had initially hoped, but I'm still not happy about the mana cost.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Round 2 is over.

Jessica_Morgan - Magocalypse - Since it lets you cast cards from your library, it is too easy to combo off with (just put some big life gain cards in your deck, or uses targetted draw to mill your opponents before the end of the turn) and won't be used 'fairly' very often. Also the only spells you can really make them count are burn spells and life gain - creatures, except hasty ones you control, won't get a chance to attack. It's possible this card could be reworked to capture the flavor you intend by ending the game at the end of your next turn? I like the idea though.

iamajellydonut - Yllom, Seed of the Divine - It is a common theme on YmtC, I know I've done it at least twice before, a fragile creature you have to protect to win the game. These days with Spellskite it might be a bit easier. The flavor reminds me of the zerg protecting the chrysalis containing kerrigan. I like the tension created by needing to have a creature out every turn otherwise you lose your win con.

Exxile72 - Evacuation Portal - I'm not sure if this is exactly what happens in the scars of mirrodin story but I like the flavor anyway. Mechanically it just feels like a cross between Darksteel Reactor (take a lot of turns) and Epic Struggle (summon a lot of creatures) though.

Zokorad - Mind Reactor - A bigger Jace's Erasure with the potential to mill big on occasion. Since revealing the cards you draw to your opponent is a drawback, I would cost this a bit less. I would also consider making it be able to target multiple players so it works better in multiplayer (like Baneful Omen). I like the combo with Congregation at Dawn.

AzureShade - Lucky Sevens - The name, while straightforward, is a bit silly for a Magic card (not like I can talk though). Is this meant to be an enchantment that triggers in your end step or an instant that you can only cast during your end step or an instant that sets up a delayed triggered ability? Why not just make it an enchantment with an upkeep trigger like normal? Trying to set your life total to a specific number is pretty combo-ish and goes against the 'possible to acquire in a normal game' feel of the rest of the card. (There's a reason Near-Death Experience only has the one condition). Maybe it would be better with only the other two conditions.

Grades to be continued when I get home. 
Elzaban_the_Ethereal - Hippocratic Ascendant - I like how you can use him as a regular Cleric lord even if you're not going for the alternate win condition and maybe it will occasionally be relevant. I like how it turns awful cards like Shieldmate's Blessing into a win condition. I also think it would be funny to Pestilence all my clerics only to have them protect themselves.

FogRaider - Aria of Minds - I like Mayael's Aria, and you have done a pretty good tribute to it, though it had nice clean numbers of 5, 10, 20 instead of 1, 4, 10 with a 2 thrown in there. This seems a bit too easy, just add Reliquary Tower and wait a few turns, or cast Concentrate during your turn. It is clever how you made it trigger on the end step so you don't get hosed by cleanup step on the turn you go off, but it also means that the opponents have no chance to react to it (which is why I think most other alt win cards trigger on upkeep). But I can think of a different way to solve that problem...
3uu - Enchantment - you have no maximum hand size. - At the beginning of your upkeep, if you have thirteen or more cards in your hand, you win the game. - rk post

FirstTurnKill - The Guild - I do like these sorts of abilities that can be used at any time like Sphinx of Jwar Isle. But this card will never be an alternate win condition, of course players would just sacrifice their permanents rather than lose the game.

SimonGlume - Corsican Brothers - Nice Melvin card, I like how if neither Corsican brothers is killed then their effect cancels each other out. Unfortunately it would be difficult to make this card work within the rules the way I think you want it to. Also it might be a bit too easy to use if it did work properly, it only takes a one mana spell to remove their brother and another one mana spell to kill yourself.

Suudsu2200 - Crumbling Empire - (the only thing new players miss out on in this competition is one of six chances to make the final bracket. someone could come along in round 6, win that round or get a wildcard entry to the final bracket, then go on to win the whole contest). Your card seems like it would make you do a lot of counting every turn just to mill some cards. We try to avoid making players 'work' too hard if we can. I get that it wants to punish people who are doing better than you but in practice it would just be used with Wall of Shards.

theatog - Witless Discrimination - Mill is a niche strategy. So cards that hose mill are even more niche. So cards that hose cards that hose mill are extremely niche. I do like how you made it a state trigger though, it's the only way to make this card work I think. If you wanted to make this "a mill card" not just a card that makes sure mill works, I'd maybe cost it one more and make it twenty cards.

TPmanW - Alzahva, the Overmind - It's nice to see Grandeur again, though it's a pretty powerful grandeur ability. I pay five mana and discard three cards (in the best case) and I get three Myr Battlespheres. Maybe it should only be able to copy your own creatures? I like how this can be Johnnyed in so many different ways - Relentless Rats, Squadron Hawk and then 2x grandeur, Increasing Devotion followed by Clone, or Kobolds of Kher Keep with Kher Keep!

You are an imaginative bunch, I had fun grading this round. I liked the cards that inspired me to come up with ways to combo them or to design my own variants of the card. Elzaban can't win again, but there was another card that was totally Johnny and could be used with or without the win ability being the main focus... so despite the unclear flavor, the appeal was undeniable...

TPmanW wins round 2 with his card 'Alzahva the Overmind'!

Honorable mentions go to iamajellydonut, Zokorad, and FogRaider.

---

Round 3 begins

For Limited, r&d tries to make a spread of power levels within each color as well as making each color blanaced with each other on average. Sometimes if a color or strategy is too strong, as well as weakening a few of the good cards, they might add in a totally awful card to that color like Defensive Stance or Favor of the Woods. These cards aren't bad design, they're just bad power.

Design an awful card for Limited. Also, your card must use a set mechanic (not an evergreen mechanic) from an existing Magic set.
Wow, I was totally putting money on FirstTurnKill. That said, I'm the only guy who's 2/2 on honorable mentions. Bring it on, round three...

p.s. Nice job stealing my criteria.

p.p.s. Does it have to be a keyworded mechanic or can it be something like Plaxmanta where you know that card can't be from anywhere but Ravnica?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Wow, I was totally putting money on FirstTurnKill. That said, I'm the only guy who's 2/2 on honorable mentions. Bring it on, round three...

p.s. Nice job stealing my criteria.

p.p.s. Does it have to be a keyworded mechanic or can it be something like Plaxmanta where you know that card can't be from anywhere but Ravnica?

Sorry didn't know you had used this criteria before, I'm not in any contests at the moment.

It must be a keyword or abilityword.