03/23/2012 LD: "Lordly Might"

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Someone has to tell zack hill that diergraf captain isn't the spirit captain that grants hexproof but the zombie captain that affects other zombies
Someone has to tell zack hill that diegraf captain isn't the spirit captain that grants hexproof

I'll do it!

Psst, it's Drogskol Captain, guys.
Hands down, my most favorite lord in Standard is the Elvish Archdruid. I enjoy so much the craziness between him and Copperhorn Scout.
Well, you have to admit he had quite a catchy slogan. The best I've been able to come up with is "Back Zac!"

As far as the lords go, I would really like a Dwarf lord, thank you very much.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
I would just like Dwarves, period!

What that means is that every time you print a lord, you suddenly render every other creature of that type a little bit more interesting. All of a sudden, huge swaths of previously-uninspiring cards are worth considering.

Folk of An-Havva thank you for Human Tribal, Zac!

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Ooze lord! Dinosaur lord!

Make lords for tribes that are popular but unplayable as a tribal deck.  Make a Griffin lord!

We have lots of lords that increase size, and that's awesome for tribes of swarming weenies, but you could totally do other stuff to make other tribes more interesting.  Make an Ooze lord that makes all oozes into tappers, or a Wizard lord that puts a copy of each other wizard in play into play under your control when it enters play.  Make a Griffin lord that lets you untap two lands whenever a Griffin spell is played.

Too many lords are about making the creatures better, but a whole bunch of creature types are defined by CMCs that put them out of reach for very interesting gameplay, regardless of how good the creatures might theoretically get.  But if you gave those creature types access to a lord that gave you a unique kind of utility, then all of a sudden tribal decks start to mean something more than aggro.  I realize that Lorwyn block gave you guys concerns about complexity creep with this kind of design, but I'm not saying to make a focused tribal strategy with niche tribes in a single set - just a one-off now and then, probably in a core set, the way you did with Griffin Rider in M12.

What it boils down to, I guess, is that most lords are Timmy cards.  Give us some Johnny lords.
Zac Hill, I logged back in after being completely dormant for a very long time.  I logged in because I wanted to tell you I truly think your last five or six articles have been some of the most solid, important articles I've read about Magic development.  Thank you so much.
I want a Spider lord!

Favourite lords: It's a bit hard to say, as I don't really do tribal very much, but I liked Merrow Reejerey's playing into the twiddley theme of Lor/Mor's merfolk; Necromancer's Covenant granting lifelink is the backbone of my multiplayer Zombie deck; and I like the offbeat lords like Greatbow Doyen and Scarblade Elite. Oh, and of course the absolutely classic Reaper King.

Johnny lords are definitely the way to go. If every block brought just one Johnny lord for a creature type that's not seen much attention in the past couple of years, you'd make a lot of Johnnies very happy.

Perhaps the lord I've built the most decks around was Brass Herald. Back when Apocalypse came out, I went through virtually every creature type in Standard seeing whether it was remotely feasible to build a tribal deck around it powered by Brass Herald.

Least favourite lords: Noxious Ghoul is a bit too oppressive to every other creature-based deck. Drogskol Captain is ludicrously annoying and noninteractive. When will you realise that hexproof is far too frustrating to grant as a permanent, always-on ability? It was irritating back when Plated Slagwurm came out, and it's even more irritating now. Shroud at least feels fair.

I want a Spider lord!

Try out Arachnus Spinner. I've never built a monogreen deck before, but Arachnus Spinner inspired me to. Backed up with a few other Spiders, it's an awesome utility lord of just the kind that carrionpigeons was talking about. (A few cards that I've found work very well in the deck - feel free to ignore if you'd rather come up with your own ideas: 1, 2, 3...)
This was a really good read.

My favorite lord is Sheshiro. The legendary ones tend to have a more splashy effect, and you can build around them for EDH as well. I also like the lieges from Shadowmoor block. It would be cool if that territory of lords was explored more in the future: 'your red creatures get +1/+1, your red creatures get X'. For tribes that already have several lords, I like cards like Lich Lord of Unx. It doesn't grant a power boost, but it still seems like a lord.   

I know players love to pack their decks full of angels, but nothing really rewards you for playing them. The 'build your own tribe' cards don't benefit angels much. You'd probably need to treat them like you do dragons and give them things like Sarhan the Mad, Bladewing the Risen, or an ability the way Karrthus does. The Karrthus model would probably work the best. 'Your angels have X'. The +1/+1 boost lords grant isn't that big of a deal on creatures that are already so large. 

Personally, there are quite a lot of demons in Magic now. They could be due for a lord if there isn't one slated for the upcoming set. I'd like a legendary wurm lord of some sort. I also second giving spiders more attention.     
I want another squirrel Lord!
Master Apothecary, before the damage-on-the-stack rules change.  Damage prevention was traditionally super-scrubby, and the Master looks non-threatening at first glance....  but its ability actually allows you to completely take over combat with even a few Clerics on the board.  Nothing really dies anymore on your side, red burn becomes chancy, and it even has a use when, say, the UG Madness deck hits Wonder and starts flying over your head.  The ability ignores summoning sickness too, which is more helpful than you'd think - cast a new creature and have it ready to heal when you swing, they don't block, it's still ready for heals & blocking if they attack.

Sadly the Master is bad now, since the new damage rules weaken mass damage prevention and the general creature power curve has ramped up, but it was lots of fun while it lasted.
I don't see how it was different before and after the damage-on-the-stack rules changes. 
I know the rules before and after the changes but I can't see what you can't do now that you were allow to do before the rules changes. Would you explain it to me?
Tapping a creature doesn't remove it from combat.
I don't see how it was different before and after the damage-on-the-stack rules changes. 
I know the rules before and after the changes but I can't see what you can't do now that you were allow to do before the rules changes. Would you explain it to me?
Tapping a creature doesn't remove it from combat.

The only difference I see is in cases where multiple creatures block the same creature.
Let's say a 9/9 is blocked by three 3/3s. Under the old system, the 9/9 would assign 3 damage to each of its blockers, and then you could prevent the damage, so you tap each of the 3/3s to prevent 2 damage to itself, and they all live. Under the current system, where the attacker orders the blockers, you can't save all three blockers; you tap to prevent the next 6 damage the attacking creature would deal, but now it deals all 3 remaining damage to the first blocker and kills it.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
My two favorites are Kangee and Dauntless Dourbark. I use treefolk in Modern right now and I adore my birds edh deck. Dauntless wrecks anything in its path (all my land AND all my creatures add together to make a trampling beast? OK!). I love treefolk and I never feel they get enough love, a few more good ones and my modern deck would be unstoppable!

Kangee is a great general. It can get expensive to get just 1-2 counters on it (and the errata pisses me off a bit because it was so much better when she gave herself +x/+x too), but then I proliferate like crazy and you guys put enough thought into it to make all birds make feather counters (especially good with the 3/1 flying bird that puts a feather counter on a creature per turn and that creature is a 3/1 flyer, it makes my guys bigger if they WERE 1/1's or it puts counters on my soulcatcher or kangee). With the bird land, the two soulcatchers (creature and enchantment), aven mimomancer, the land (sac a bird draw a card), plenty of token birds, adaptive automaton, and proliferate this deck can get stupid. I'm going to play dovescape, so you and I make a handful of birds a turn... but my birds are 8/8 and yours are 1/1... oh and you can't play non creature spells, GAME!

Adaptive automaton was a FANTASTIC idea too, while its kind of lame since it only gives +1/+1 it gives an adaptive lord. Even the many creature types that can't ever get enough love (archers, birds haven't had love in a LONG time) now can get an additional lord making them that much stronger and possibly viable instead of not viable.

I think Birds, Treefolk, and Dwarves need to see love again. Specifically birds and dwarves used to be a major creature type and now are completely ignored (a token creature every so often), Treefolk just need a few non costly saplings for early game or possibly a cool lord or creature type spell.

I am a Johnny at heart, and I LOVE theme decks, so you can probably geuss why lorwyn block was my absolute favorite block (and eventide shadowmoor continued it with themed abilities based on color! Which to this day I LOVE those enchantments). Thanks for the great article!

Raven Cool 
I'd like to see Kobolds again. Like the trio of Overlord, taskmaster, and drill sergeant. They were always fun.
Reprint Policy says "No" to that overlord.
Time Spiral and Master's Editon III both had Kobold lords in them. 

I think it's pretty cool how everyone is so ecstatic over sharing their favourite lords! Kind of proves how resonant this whole Lord thing is.    

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

I would love to see an Angel lord - and honestly wouldn't be at all surprised if we see one during the release of Avacyn Restored.

My current favorite? Knight Exemplar. Knights are one of those creature types that don't generally get all that big, so having a dozen indestructable first strikers on the table makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
I want more keyword lords! Stonebrow, Krosan Hero and Isperia the Inscrutable are very interesting commanders to build around for example. 
Second Diablo and Toby actually, knights never get enough love, and defender lords are awesome.
Definately agree with others that there should be more "control" lords versus "aggro" lords, like what the merfolk tapped into during Lorwyn but, well, better.  All X get +1/ +1 is clean ans simple, and I get why its used, but a lord that led to LONGER games during which your tribe dominated would be nice once in a while, for certain tribes at least.  The whole fun of tribal decks is seeing your pieces come together, and aggro lords (usually) do that by ending the game as soon as that starts happening. 
I want Kobolds back too... and Orcs... and Dwarves.
I would just like Dwarves, period!

I bought an Eventide box solely for their inclusion of Dwarves. I love Goblins, too, but I'm really happy that Innistrad is giving us a year off from them. I would like to see that again some time, but with Dwarves.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
A lord for Wall (or creature with Defender) could be cool too. I'm just wondering how to put some flavor behind it. I would like to make a deck with Wall of Blossom, Overgrown Battlement, Tree of Redemption, Vine Trellis, Wall of Mulch and Wall of Roots
A lord for Wall (or creature with Defender) could be cool too. I'm just wondering how to put some flavor behind it. I would like to make a deck with Wall of Blossom, Overgrown Battlement, Tree of Redemption, Vine Trellis, Wall of Mulch and Wall of Roots

Rolling Stones and Wakestone Gargoyle are, arguably, lords for both of those types. If you want to stick with walls with no power, add Doran.
76125763 wrote:
I know those "lord", but there aren't playable at all since most wall have 0 power.

Doran is good but being three-color make it difficult to make a deck arount it.
A new lord like Doran in one or two color would be cool.
But it isn't necessary that the wall can attack. There are wall afterall.
Maybe a lord that would give reach or "can block unblockable creature" or maybe a ability like Wall of Frost would be cool. 
It's for a casual play not for tournament play.
There was a time where almost all Wall were uncommon...
I know those "lord", but there aren't playable at all since most wall have 0 power.

Doran is good but being three-color make it difficult to make a deck arount it.
A new lord like Doran in one or two color would be cool.
But it isn't necessary that the wall can attack. There are wall afterall.
Maybe a lord that would give reach or "can block unblockable creature" or maybe a ability like Wall of Frost would be cool. 
It's for a casual play not for tournament play.
There was a time where almost all Wall were uncommon...

You're building a Wall deck. I would say colour requirements aren't really your worry (since it's purely casual). And you need a win condition in your wall deck, which means you either have to play Vent Sentinel or Doran, seek to mill your opponent, or play a non-wall kill condition (Overgrown Battlement+Fireball or some such). You can't expect to randomly print a win condition for your defender deck, especially not a variant on a card as unique as Doran (I highly doubt a similar card will ever be printed).
76125763 wrote:
I have a five-colour Walls deck, using Harrow and Kodama's Reach for manafixing, whose win conditions are Vent Sentinel and the out-of-nowhere Coalition Victory. I think it does include a Warmonger's Chariot as well, principally because it's fun on Wall of Razors, but it doesn't really expect to win through damage. 
Sign In to post comments