03/23/2012 TWTW: "Respect for the Streaks"

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's The Week That Was, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I don't know if I can get excited about a "no loss" claim when someone intentionally draws two matches.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate how amazing it is to go 15 rounds at a GP and not lose a single game.  I have nothing but kudos for Richard Parker. However, I would not cheer for a football team that decided to throw the last two games of the regular season just because they had their spot in the playoffs guaranteed.

I'm not going to rant about the already dubious nature of intentional draws in Magic. Although, it would be a pretty boring Superbowl if both teams shook hands and decided to share the trophy.

The truth is, Richard Parker played some amazing Magic. He probably could have won those two matches just like all the others, but we will never know for sure. We will never know if Richard Parker would have had a Perfect GP instead of a "loss-less" one. And that, IMHO, is the real loss after all.