Dear WotC: It's time for a Mirt the Moneylender novel

10 posts / 0 new
Last post


Bit of a spoiler in this thread for those not up to speed on Mirt’s fate in the post-Spellplague Realms
 
 
 
 



Ye have been duly warned.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
So Mirt, once Lord of Waterdeep, once Mirt the Moneylender and once Mirt the Merciless, has survived into the future thanks to his time as a Blueflame ghost and now walks the Realms once more.

Assuming he survives the events of Elminster Enraged, I’d like to see Mirt further adventures in the Forgotten Realms chronicled in a novel by Ed Greenwood.
 
Whether Mirt explores the lands around the Sea of Fallen Stars and samples its dangers and delights (female genasi? I think Mirt would say yes to that. ;) ) or takes to journeying back to Waterdeep, thereby exploring all the lands between Waterdeep and Cormyr and seeing for himself (and us, the interested readers) all that’s changed between, um, here and there, methinks you’d have the makings of a rip-roaring good novel.
 
Speaking for myself, I hope Mirt returns to Waterdeep and turns the place upside down.
 
Now I know what you’re thinking: yes, we’ve had several post-Spellplague novels set in Waterdeep, but surely another (itself the first of three, because I have observed you folks at WotC like doing things in threes) that starts with Mirt in Cormyr and doesn’t end until just after he enters the gates to Waterdeep wouldn’t hurt, would it? (Especially one written by Ed.)
 
Remember, Mirt is fat, a bit lazy, something of a slob, amoral and built more for stability than speed, yet he’s quite willing to duel foes with a broken chair in one hand and a large, half-eaten drumstick in the other. Surely this is the perfect counterpoint to Drizzt, is it not?
 
If for no other reason than the sake of balance between your novel characters, won’t you give us Mirt, please?

If he returns to WAterdeep. He must outs the current open lord from his station and assume the role himself.



greedy merchant    does not have the best interest of the city at heart.


all hail Lord Mirt the Old Wolf. 
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I always thought Mirt was kind of a ****, but i do think its about time for a 4e Volo novel!
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Now there's a good idea... more Volo love would be awesome.  Screw Mirt! 

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

I'm unsure about a Mirt novel, though I don't mind him featuring in a novel on Volo's great-granddaughter.

Gomez 
Volo?

You know, I don't think I've ever read a Volo novel. Wasn't he in one a long time ago?
Volo?

You know, I don't think I've ever read a Volo novel. Wasn't he in one a long time ago?

Yep. Once Around the Realms. It was a cute little read. The story itself was pretty damn weak, but its main purpose was to highlight the various locales in FR, like Chult, Waterdeep, and the Kara-Tur borderlands, while also allowing some big-name characters, like Alias and Halaster, to make cameo appearances. 

My Sig
Reality is but the sum total of all illusions. Proud Hand of Karsus, now and forever Mess with one Hand, mess with 'em all I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
"just do what LM the lord of magical might does, and you'll be fine" - sfdragon, 10/12/09
Board Snippets
147048523 wrote:
"I don't like X, they should remove it." "I like X, they should keep it." "They should replace X with Y." "Anybody that likes X is dumb. Y is better." "Why don't they include both X and Y." "Yeah, everybody can be happy then!" "But I don't like X, they should remove it." "X really needs to be replaced with Y." "But they can include both X and Y." "But I don't like X, they need to remove it." "Remove X, I don't like it." Repeat. Obstinance?
56790678 wrote:
Until you've had an in-law tell you your choice of game was stupid, and just Warcraft on paper, and dumbed down for dumber players who can't handle a real RPG, you haven't lived. You haven't lived.
56902498 wrote:
Lady and gentlemen.... I present to you the Edition War without Contrition, the War of the Web, the Mighty Match-up! We're using standard edition war rules. No posts of substance. Do not read the other person's posts with comprehension. Make frequent comparison to video games, MMOs, and CCGs. Use the words "fallacy" and "straw man", incorrectly and often. Passive aggressiveness gets you extra points and asking misleading and inflammatory questions is mandatory. If you're getting tired, just declare victory and leave the thread. Wait for the buzzer... and.... One, two, three, four, I declare Edition War Five, six, seven eight, I use the web to Go!
57062508 wrote:
D&D should not return to the days of blindfolding the DM and players. No tips on encounter power? No mention of expected party roles? No true meaning of level due to different level charts or tiered classes? Please, let's not sacrifice clear, helpful rules guidelines in favour of catering to the delicate sensibilities of the few who have problems with the ascetics of anything other than what they are familiar with.
56760448 wrote:
Just a quick note on the MMORPG as an insult comparison... MMORPGs, raking in money by the dumptruck full. Many options, tons of fans across many audiences, massive resources allocated to development. TTRPGs, dying product. Squeaking out an existence that relys on low cost. Fans fit primarily into a few small demographics. R&D budgets small, often rushed to market and patched after deployment. You're not really making much of an argument when you compare something to a MMORPG and assume people think that means bad. Lets face it, they make the money, have the audience and the budget. We here on this board are fans of TTRPGs but lets not try to pretend none of us play MMORPGs.
90571711 wrote:
Adding options at the system level is good. Adding options at the table level is hard. Removing options at the system level is bad. Removing options at the table level is easy. This is not complicated.
57333888 wrote:
112760109 wrote:
56902838 wrote:
Something like Tactical Shift is more magical than martial healing.
Telling someone to move over a few feet is magical now? :| I weep for this generation.
Given the laziness and morbid obsesity amongst D&Ders, being able to convince someone to get on their feet, do some heavy exercise, and use their words to make them be healthier must seem magical.
158710691 wrote:
D&D definitely improves mental health; Just as long as you stay away from these forums ;)
Yep. Once Around the Realms. It was a cute little read. The story itself was pretty damn weak, but its main purpose was to highlight the various locales in FR, like Chult, Waterdeep, and the Kara-Tur borderlands, while also allowing some big-name characters, like Alias and Halaster, to make cameo appearances.

Oh yeah I remember that title now.

Though I never read it I do like that it tried to accomplish what I was hoping Mirt could accomplish now: give us a wild, meandering ride through parts of the Realms between Cormyr and Waterdeep.

I, for one, would definitely be more up for a Mirt novel than a Volo one.

For all of the brutality in his early life and his occasional a/im-morality in his later one, there has always been something about the Old Wolf that has made me fond of him and his puffing and panting. I think it is probably because of his cameo at the beginning of Silverfall, it showed every aspect of his character from the greedy fool to the painfully sincere and devoted servant... and most of what was in between. It managed to provide this showcase while retaining that whisper of whimsy that I have so missed throughout much of 4E. Since it was written by Ed (of course) the presence of that whimsy isn't such a surprise.

A book about Mirt's travels from Cormyr to Waterdeep? I think I would like that. I would certainly buy it, pre-order it even, within about 10 minutes of being able to do so.

For some reason it puts me in mind of those old articles featuring Azoun and Fee being transported from place to place and the (usually) amusing things they did and said while doing so. Ah, how I miss things like that.

More like that please!

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
I'm unsure about a Mirt novel, though I don't mind him featuring in a novel on Volo's great-granddaughter.

That would actually be pretty cool.

Suppose she cottoned on to the fact that Mirt was the Mirt of old, while the Old Wolf was busy trying to hide that fact for reasons of personal safety or for some plot he's brewing up.

Now let's assume Mirt knew Volo (I'm not sure if he ever did, but Volo did get around a lot, so who knows?) and Volo's great granddaughter suspects or knows this, plus she's immensly curious about her (in)famous great grandfather.

Surely there's a story there.
Sign In to post comments