Legendary Question

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I know there can only be one Legendary Creature on the field at one time...

What about Legendary Lands? Is it the same? 
Decks Used Slivers - Dragons - Artifacts - Elves Monsters - : Vampires - Knights - Infect
That's not the rule, actually.

If two or more Legendary permanents with the SAME NAME are on the battlefield when state-based actions are checked, they are all sent to their owner's graveyards. There can be any number of Legendary permanents on the battlefield regardless their types, so long as they don't share a name.
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
If two lengendary objects of the same name are on the battlefield they are put in the graveyard.

This affects all legendaries incuding land.
MTG Rules Advisor
To be more specific you can only have 1 legendary permanent on the battlefield with the same english name at a time.  That applies for any permanent type, so for example there can only be 1 tolarian academy on the battlefield, if another is put onto the battlefield then both of them are put into the graveyard as a state based action.

DCI Level 2 Judge

Rockford, Illinois

Ok, Thanks. I actually found a Tolarian Academy yesterday when I was going through my old cards. Then about 2 weeks before that I found a Polluted Delta

Also this rule doesnt apply to Mythics correct? 
Decks Used Slivers - Dragons - Artifacts - Elves Monsters - : Vampires - Knights - Infect
Ok, Thanks. I actually found a Tolarian Academy yesterday when I was going through my old cards. Then about 2 weeks before that I found a Polluted Delta

No. Mythic Rare is just a rarity, and has no in-game effect. Your deck could be composed entirely of mythic rare cards if you wished.

Also, just checking, you're aware that a Polluted Delta can't fetch a Tolarian Academy, right? 
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.

Mythic Rare is just another rarity like Rare, Uncommon, and Common.  It has no interaction on game play. 
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.

No. Mythic Rare is just a rarity, and has no in-game effect. Your deck could be composed entirely of mythic rare cards if you wished.

Also, just checking, you're aware that a Polluted Delta can't fetch a Tolarian Academy, right? 

Yea, I ended up actually trading off the Delta. Im thinking about keeping the Academy though. 
Im thinking about keeping the Academy though. 

Bah! It's only worth 43$ now...

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one thousand, people might notice;

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Now you know why taxes always go up.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

I know there can only be one... 

Some cards ARE restricted to only one per deck. Tolarian Academy, for example.

Check up the others:  Restricted Lists  

If I steal a hundred dollar from a loot of one million, I might get away with it;

If I wish to steal even more and still go unnoticed, I need to make the loot bigger.

Looting: ''the plundering of public assets by corrupt or greedy authorities'' (Wikipedia)

Your deck could be composed entirely of mythic rare cards if you wished.

though it wouldn't be very effective considering only two lands have been printed at Mythic rarity...

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Im thinking about keeping the Academy though. 

Bah! It's only worth 43$ now...

Which site do you use for pricing? I found a few sites, but they are pretty different from eachother.

Which site do you use for pricing? I found a few sites, but they are pretty different from eachother.

www.mtgfanatic.com/

That's not the rule, actually.

If two or more Legendary permanents with the SAME NAME are on the battlefield when state-based actions are checked, they are all sent to their owner's graveyards. There can be any number of Legendary permanents on the battlefield regardless their types, so long as they don't share a name.

So i have a question about possible regeneration, if say [C]Thrun, the last Troll[/C] is on the field and a [C]Phyrexian Metamorph[/C] or [C]Phantasmal Image[/C] then is it possible to actually rengenerate as the legend rule is a state base effect and not an actual destruction. (at least thats the confusing part for me)
You could activate the ability if you wish--nothing's stopping you from doing so--but it won't do you any good. Dying thanks to the legend rule is not "being destroyed", so  regeneration won't help Thrun. He'll die anyway.

The only two things that regeneration will stop are dying due to lethal damage (which destroys the creature) and spells and abilities that use the word "destroy". Nothing else "destroys" things.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

If two lengendary objects of the same name are on the battlefield they are put in the graveyard.

This should actually have the additional note, "most of the time." There are two cards I know of that circumvent this rule: Mirror Gallery and Brothers Yamazaki. There may be more; it will most likely be clearly noted on the card if the "legend rule" is not applicable to it in particular or anything in general.
If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I still believe I'm right. Think of it as religion. dubito ergo sum.

This should actually have the additional note, "most of the time." There are two cards I know of that circumvent this rule: Mirror Gallery and Brothers Yamazaki. There may be more; it will most likely be clearly noted on the card if the "legend rule" is not applicable to it in particular or anything in general.

In that case, all answers should include the note 'most of the time'.  99% of answers will have one or two cards that break them.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.