Success with Mono Black?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I need advice on how to make a mono-color, specifically black, deck to work. 

I mean, there are just so many color combinations out there to choose from. But the one that I always settle with is mono black. I know it can be a monster to deal with (at least I think it is), but I don't know what it needs to be that way.

How can I take a mono black deck and make it just as good as the multicolor ones? 

P.S. On some related note, can mono black be great? 

Here are two generals that are great mono black

ashling, the extinguisher Mono Black control with some bomb finishers.
Korlash, Heir to blackblade   well enough said. Seen this guy beat face leading an army of zombies.

Here are two generals that are great mono black

ashling, the extinguisher Mono Black control with some bomb finishers.
Korlash, Heir to blackblade   well enough said. Seen this guy beat face leading an army of zombies.

Maga, Traitor to Mortals beats them out for beastness.

As to making a mono deck work, you need the ability to control the field, tutors to get the real general, and a few toys.
I'd also add Sheoldred, Whispering One.  She can be a bear to keep on the board, but if you get her locked in with protection, she is a monster.
Sheoldred, Whispering one is a bear of a general. But you also have to have enough creatures so she can bring them back

Maga, Traitor to mortals was one i didn't think of until i was going to sleep. But yeah Maga is another beat stick.
If you are rich, or happened to have invested in 3kingdom portal:

That most sickest ever monoblack deck i've seen is ... Xiahou Dun, the One-Eyed

Play with every tutor you get, you will never be out of answers. Basically the whole deck is at your whim to be casted. including the portal ones.

Also, karn liberated is major factor in monoblack, dealing with indestructible, protection from black and enchantments. 

If you are blowing your life crazy early, most black decks does, you will need a Boseiju, Who Shelters All protected, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and cabal coffers powered exsanguinate

Kagemaro, First to Suffer also a good answer against gaddock teeg if you can't boardwipe somehow. 

Easy wincon is none other than leyline of the void and helm of obedience

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
My friend has an absolutely beastly Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief deck that relies on tribal vampires and mana accel to one-shot people with Drana. I would consider it.
What about Volrath the Fallen? Is it possible to make a great mono-black with him.
What about Volrath the Fallen? Is it possible to make a great mono-black with him.

Course.
Lim-Dul the Neco won't link gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details....

But he is a beast for Zombie decks as a general  
Mono-black has some of the best mana-accelleration in the game, with Cabal Coffers, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Nirkana Revenant, and Bubbling Muck quickly coming to mind.  Also, artifacts like Caged Sun can also be used.  With this massive mana advantage, you should use a general who can easily use this.
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief is one such general, and you are by no means obligated to run it as a vampire tribal.
also
Geth, Lord of the Vault - I've seen a very, very effective deck with Geth as the general.  Most decks run good artifacts, even if they are only protective artifacts (like Lightning Greaves), and I've yet to play against a creatureless deck (though my Kaervek deck comes close).  It's only your opponents graveyards, so that does limit you, but Black has lots of self-recursion, so you'r covered.
Well having massive mana would be nice, but I don't want to rely solely on it. The reason I'm thinking Voltath is because he can one shot without alot of mana. The ton if mana would be better for finishers instead of just using it for the main point.
Volrath is all kinds of good stuff. Works well in decks with Buried Alive and stuff like Zombie Appocolypse. As a matter of fact with Noxious Ghoul that can get pretty crazy. Corrupt is also mono black awesomeness.

I have had great success with both Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief and Skittles the Blight Dragon.  I've also helped other do well with mono-black, Mikeaus and Geth.
Hmm, not to certain about Skytherix. He tends to draw waaaaaaay too much hate.
I've seen Mikaeus, the Unhallowed do work. Surprised no one suggested him yet.
I like Volrath the best, here.  I'm thinking he could make a beastly 1v1 deck.

For MP, Geth is super good.

Make a decklist, I'm curious to see what you come up with Jund.

cheers,

Malph