03/22/2012 TD: "Fast, Funny, Fun... and Absolutely Audacious"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Top Decks article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I don't get the first deck at all. Can someone explain it to me, please?
Old school heavy control deck, that could probably be classified as combo-control. Balance, Icy Manipulator, Lightning Bolt, Wrath of God and Zuran Orb kept him alive. Howling Mine helped him keep drawing into his removal; he could tap it with Icy Manipulator to deny his opponents cards if necessary, but that was more likely used for tapping mana in combination with Winter Orb. Once the Icy Manipulator/Winter Orb lock was in place (he had mana going from Fellwar Stone) then Black Vise or Stormbind (in combination with all the cards drawn) would work for a quick kill.

The other miscellaneous cards were for the metagame (Disenchant/Shatter) and general utility. Deckbuilding rules at the time required a certain number of cards from different expansions, thus the random An-Zerrin Ruins.
Nice article, really enjoyable! I like to see rogue decks performing well in tournaments!

However, which deck was the one with Tibor and Lumia? Someone know it, or it's better to ask to Mike Flores via mail directly...? Since I like Tibor and Lumia very much I would like to know it!
Thank you very much, Thalatta!
Nice article, really enjoyable! I like to see rogue decks performing well in tournaments!

However, which deck was the one with Tibor and Lumia? Someone know it, or it's better to ask to Mike Flores via mail directly...? Since I like Tibor and Lumia very much I would like to know it!

My mouth also gaped wide in sweet fantasy hopes when I saw the image.
I'm still surprised that there's still such a strong stigma about playing a bit over 60 cards in a Magic deck. With all of the math we do concerning Magic, you'd think we'd be as familiar with other fractions than those with a constant denominator of 60. Even the 61 card deck has proven that adding a little weight to a deck can improve the performance just enough. Perhaps it just makes me sound naive, but in the end, what you run is just a fraction of the deck and with so many effective copies of the same card, I'm surprised that I'm one of the only people I play with comfortable with piloting a 64 card maindeck.
IMAGE(http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/acatan/sigwynzermancopy.png) Signature by IMAGE(http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/258.png)
It has nothing to do with 'mathematical comfort' and everything to do with maximizing the chances of seeing certain cards in your opening hand (or draw into it over the long run in certain matchups).

Consider any Standard Delver of Secrets deck. Most of those deck absolutely LOVE to start with turn 1 delver (much like Zen-Scars Standard mono red loved a turn 1 goblin guide) because your percentage chance of winning the game jumps tremendously with such an opening play. Now, you may think your chances of seeing the turn 1 delver don't really drop much by adding 2 cards to the deck size, but over a long tournament with approximately 2.5 games per round it can potentially make a difference.

Example:

You are running 4x copies of Delver in your 60 card deck. Chance of seeing it in a 7 card hand = 39.95%
Ditto, but 62 card deck:  38.86%

This difference seems negligeable, but over the course of a GP, it may turn one strong hand into a mulligan. That can easily cost you a slot in the top 8 or more.

The issue is exarcebated when there are other cards you want to eventually draw into (Snag, Snapcaster, etc) but don't because of the other stuff you put in the deck.

This is why no one runs more than 60 cards anymore (well, OK, there are rare exception where you will see 61, but generally they admit that it is more due to not knowing what to cut than thinking it mathematically correct).
Sign In to post comments