Morbid Misunderstanding

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
"I just had an apostrophe!"

"I think you mean and epiphany." 

"Lightning, just struck my brain."

"Oh that must hurt..." (I love Hook references)

haha Anyway, creativity has struck me and I've been encouraged (via card Tragic Slip) to make a very removal heavy and loosing creatures via sacrafice or just dying before combat to make it effective. Well, first I wanted to see about the Morbid cards themselves; Morkrut Banchee, Reaper of the Abyss, Skirstag High Priest, Tragic Slip, and Wakedancer to name off the good black morbid ones. There are other colors of course, but none that are as numerous or as powerful as

I was thinking... Best way to go about killing creatures before combat (to make sure Tragic Slip does it's thing removal wise) is either with instants to get creatures across the table, or.... Evoke! Evoke is like the casual table stable mechanic for me recently. Brings A Creature Out and they die instantly, going into the graveyard and more over, activating Morbid. 

However... Evoke is a little limited in terms of  the colors, so, I need other stuff as well... And let's face it, the list of "Sacrafice a creature, do this!" is huge... At present, I can't do all the research, so, I'm delving into the knowledge of those who know more than I to find the right cards and form a deck. =) 

Hope to hear from you guys soon!
Adult ----
With Evoke in the mix, you don't seem too concerned about format. My knowledge of the card pool is mostly limited to the last few years, but here's my 2 cents anyway:

For card draw: [C]Culling Dais[/C], [C]Altar's Reap[/C]
For (creature) tutoring: [C]Birthing Pod[/C], [C]Golgari Guildmage[/C], [C]Garruck, the Veil-Cursed[/C]
For (creature) removal: [C]Attrittion[/C], [C]Bone Splinters[/C], [C]Flesh Allergy[/C]
For mana: [C]Phyrexian Altar[/C] 
I'd splash in some green.
Prey Upon is a cool way to trigger morbid, casting it on Typhoid Rats
Deadly allure also activates morbid, though usually doesnt remove anything important
and Lumberknot can become really big if you have creatures to sacrifice and its hard to get rid of hit personal favorite way to ensure I trigger morbid is in block is stitcher's apprentice...

Outside of block (that haven't already been mentioned):
fleshbag marauder
innocent blood
Malevolent Awakening...okay so it's just golgari guildmage without the legs...or the second ability
Hell's Caretaker

I know there's more, but that's it off the top of my head for now.

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

From some newer sets: This is the way I've done it.

Disciple of Griselbrand + Reassembling Skeleton
Infernal plunge is another good way.

Here's a left-fielder:

Angel of Flight Alabaster + Frostling, Hearth Kami, Kami of Ancient Law, Pain Kami etc.
you need to be careful with the sacrifice in these decks. if all your stuff is dead then you're in trouble. be sure to have some reanimation in the deck so that you don't kill yourself. some token gen wouldn't hurt either.

now from my experience brindle boar is surprisingly good for morbid decks. the life gain counters not being able to block and the sac is mana free which makes morbid critters easy to cast. death cultist would also do well here.
We can make that work the only creature I would add to the evoke creatures is reassembling skeleton and maybe a couple of caretakers. Then you should go for combat tricks to abuse evoke and tricks to reuse the evoke from your graveyard.

4 reassembling skeleton
4 shriekmaw
4 mulldrifter
2 mournwhelk
2 hell's caretaker

4 curfew
4 tragic slip
4 shallow grave
4 corpse dance (expensive) or 4 Footsteps of the Goryo (cheap)
2 sundial of the infinite
2 grave pact
1 recurring nightmare hella pricey but one is always fun in sac decks.
1 demonic tutor

1 phyrexian tower
1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
20 other blue/black lands

Let me try and explain some of the tricks. The way evoke works is that if you pay the evoke cost it comes in as a regular creature but a sac trigger goes on the stack. You can play with the sacrifice trigger.

Curfew is an instant so you can add it to the stack and both rescue your evoke creature back to your hand, and make him take back one of his.

Sundial will let you end your turn exiling the sacrifice trigger on the stack and letting you keep your creature. The rule for multiples added to the stack at the same time in your turn is that you get to order the way they are added to the stack. They will then resolve in last in first out.

When you evoke a creature 2! abilities get added to the stack, just make sure you add them as sac trigger and then effect you are evoking for. Then with the sundial you can let the ability you wanted resolve and before the sac trigger resolves add the sundial and end the turn. (That way you get to both use the evoke ability and keep the creature)

Sundial also lets you remove the pesky exile triggers at end of turn from using shallow grave or corpse dance. Just wait till the exile trigger gets added to the stack and then use the dial to remove it forever. Those triggers only activate once so once you remove them they are gone forever.

That could be a very fun deck :p
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
or you could play around with an edlrazi spawn deck?
I would include a few more things to benefit from all this death, like [c[lumberknott[/c] already mentioned, or rockslide elemental for red and there is one with flying for black, but cant remember and cant be bothered to Gatherer.

And how about some Flash creatures to trick them into morbid on their turn?
I think my mind just got blown... haha Sorry for the late replies everyone, roaming for internet is a hassel... Anyway!

Tokens/ Pentavus is a awesome idea, I really like it... Only thing that scares me is that he costs :7mana:, it's colorless, yeah, but that's turn 7 stuff IF I have a land each turn, and then I wait 'til the next turn to start beating stuff. Accel would be needed... Eldrazi could do that no problem, I'll keep it in mind! :D

Another card that I've been iching to use is Birthing Pod, so I was happy to see it on the list; the idea is sound... Dang it, out of time! I'll be back! lol
Adult ----
Sign In to post comments