Item-Based Save-Granting?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to add a little more save-granting to my Runepriest, who's currently level 15. My feats and powers are pretty well locked in place, so I'm looking at item-based ways of doing it. (I could possibly spare 1 feat if there's something really sexy out there, but it'd be a tough sell . . . and I already have a different dragonmark, so Mark of Healing is a no-go.) The Medic's Amulet is a no-brainer, but the fact that it only works against ongoing damage is kind of a downer. Similarly, I know about the Gloves of Grace, but the fact that it's a daily power makes me not so happy. Are there any other good item-based ways to make me a little bit better at granting saving throws, or is this all there is?
There are a bunch of higher level daily items like a generals belt that have daily save granting abilities.  There used to be a holy symbol of hope as a cheap item that did that as a daily, but I just checked and they stealth errated that one in one of the recent books.

There are not any encounter power items grant a save items that I know of, not counting aritifacts like the rod of seven parts.

Necklace of Prayer Beads, Holy Symbol slot, encounter minor action, you and each ally within 5...
Thats a rare item unfortunately.

Oh, sorry. I'm one of those that doesn't pay too much attention to Item Rarity...

Oh, sorry. I'm one of those that doesn't pay too much attention to Item Rarity...

It wasn't worth it before.

But it's actually meaning full as of the last update.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

In this case its rarity acutally makes sense when you compare it to all the similar uncommon items that only grant saves to one PC as a daily.  The necklace grants saves in a burst as an encounter power and is a really good item. 

I am considering asking for one for my avenger since our DM asked us to pick rare items we would quest for and this one would actually fit his plot line and be useful.

The Compendium offers nothing when I search for Rarity... could you elaborate on (or link to) this update?

The Compendium offers nothing when I search for Rarity... could you elaborate on (or link to) this update?

Here.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

In this case its rarity acutally makes sense when you compare it to all the similar uncommon items that only grant saves to one PC as a daily.  The necklace grants saves in a burst as an encounter power and is a really good item. 

I am considering asking for one for my avenger since our DM asked us to pick rare items we would quest for and this one would actually fit his plot line and be useful.

No kidding. This is what a rare item SHOULD look like. Never before have I been so jealous of holy symbol proficiency.

To revisit a glossed-over point, there's no way a feat (just one feat, sadly) could make me more save-granty, is there? My dragonmark slot and MC slot are already taken (Scribing and Warlord, respectively—perhaps not optimized, but also not negotiable), which I think kills the easy routes. If anyone would know of something, though, it'd be CharOp.

I'm happy with my Runepriest overall, but now that we're hitting mid-Paragon, save-ends effects are becoming more and more common (not to mention nastier and nastier), so I'm really starting to feel the deficiency.
A Crown of Equilibrium can be used pretty reliably with the right setup. Like if you're using a Withering-type weapon that creates a save-ends effect on every hit (or have some save ends powers).
A Crown of Equilibrium can be used pretty reliably with the right setup. Like if you're using a Withering-type weapon that creates a save-ends effect on every hit (or have some save ends powers).

Oh god. This is both wonderful and terrible.

On the one hand, I actually am using a Withering weapon. Already. This is perfect. Perfect.

On the other hand, I freaking adore my head slot item (Goggles of the Bone Collector—being a know-it-all is absolutely and unequivocally essential to my character concept, and that +3 item bonus to knowledge checks is damn near impossible to beat), and I'd have a really hard time giving it up.

Crap. This is a really hard choice. What other (non-head, I s'pose) items can give me a bonus to all knowledge checks? If I can get even a +2, I'll be willing to switch. I just can't go cold turkey on my knowledge check bonuses, though. I've been playing this character for years now (he's a 3.5 character that I ported to 4e), and I can't give up his know-it-all status.

Such a damn shame that Runepriests can't get CD, because that'd solve a lot of problems. (Between Aureon's Instruction and Oghma's Recall . . . dammit!)

So, anyway, Knowledge bonuses? Anything, folks? I've already got a Lens of Discernment.
All I can find is to hold a Mnemonic Staff in your off-hand for +2, which I'm sure is not an ideal solution.

If you're allowed, the divine boon Ioun's Revelation gives +2 to all skill checks, but not all games allow access to those.
Yeah, we've pretty much collectively agreed to ignore alternative rewards. Even if I had a hand free, I'm not proficient with the staff implement, so that's no good. If I can just find SOMETHING to get my knowledge checks back up, I'm taking that new crown in a heartbeat, but if I can't find any items or feats open to me, I may have to just sigh wistfully and accept that I'm not willing to make the sacrifices necessary for this particular piece of optimization.
RayjeEliwan-not an item, but if you haven't taken a multiclass feat, Divine Channeler (from Divine Power) would net you a Channel Divinity (like Divine Mettle) with which to grant saves. Only get to use it 1/day, but hey.
Wear your crown to battle and put on your glasses when you are examining things?
Ring of Sympathy is a great way to boost save granting, there was a Paladin|Cleric Pacifist healer with Superior Will build on here a while ago (mark things, attack bloodied enemies to intentionally stun yourself, auto save at the start of your next turn and grant allies a save with a bonus)
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Wear your crown to battle and put on your glasses when you are examining things?

This. It even fits fluffwise.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
The problem there is that the goggles only boost monster knowledge checks, which means they're really for use in combat.

I may just be trying to have my cake and eat it too. Such a shame I can't get Oghma's Recall.

I do recall that there's a book in HotF that gives a bonus to fey knowledge checks. Is there something like that for other types?
The problem there is that the goggles only boost monster knowledge checks, which means they're really for use in combat. I may just be trying to have my cake and eat it too. Such a shame I can't get Oghma's Recall. I do recall that there's a book in HotF that gives a bonus to fey knowledge checks. Is there something like that for other types?

The HotEC Demonomicon gives you a bonus to monster knowledge checks. The Chronicle of the Dawn War from the same book...doesn't, but it DOES give you an Enhancement bonus to Arcana and Religion, and the Tablet of Ad-Baraz boosts Arcana and History. So...kinda.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
What race is this character?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
He's a human. Main class Runepriest, MC Warlord. Not really what you'd expect someone to be playing as a know-it-all, but there you go.
It's worth pointing out that a loss of 3 skill points doesn't exactly drop you from know-it-all to dunce.

You might fail a check a little more often, but a failed knowledge check doesn't have to mean you know nothing, just that you know nothing pertinent to combat. You can still lecture your party on how owlbears incubate their eggs for 2 years or something.

In fact, this really makes me want to make a know-it-all character that fails every knowledge check and just constantly spouts useless monster trivia...
It's worth pointing out that a loss of 3 skill points doesn't exactly drop you from know-it-all to dunce.

You might fail a check a little more often, but a failed knowledge check doesn't have to mean you know nothing, just that you know nothing pertinent to combat. You can still lecture your party on how owlbears incubate their eggs for 2 years or something.

In fact, this really makes me want to make a know-it-all character that fails every knowledge check and just constantly spouts useless monster trivia...

That's a fair point, and it might be what I use as a consolation prize if I can't come up with anything better. That said, I'm going to beat my head against this for a little while longer to see if I can't come up with something else before I give up.

The Psalter of Aureon would be perfect, as it turns out . . . there's no way I can get holy symbols as implements without giving up my MC, is there? I always thought the implement proficiency rules were bizarre compared to the weapon proficiency rules, but of course, WotC didn't ask me.
Sign In to post comments