Wow, how did I miss that?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
First time I saw a Thraben Heretic stop an Undying Creature from coming back. It didn't change the outcome of the game (I was going to lose to the 6/6 Dearly Departed the next turn anyway) but it was certainly good I saw this so I can properly evalutate Thraben Heretic during future drafts.
That was actually the first use for the card, that came to my mind, when I first saw it. The second was to remove all those flashback cards before the second casting could be paid for. That's why I liked the card as an upgraded Glory Seeker from the very beginning. (The third thought was, that it's another white wizard for that weird white/blue wizard deck idea that keeps coming back to my mind repeatedly for a constructed deck.)
I thought the main use was the stop flashback, and the secondary was to get creatures out of the graveyard because your opponent either had blue zombies or spider spawning. Stopping undying seems much better than either of those things.
I'm not sure what flashback cards you mean, because Thraben Heretic can only target creature cards.  The first time this was used against me was to prevent my undying guy coming back.  Prior to this I thought it's primary use would be removing cards before people could bring them back with Ghoulraiser type effects.

Cheers
Eep, I was thinking about Purify the Grave when I wrote that, but I suppose Purify stops undying now as well.
I'm not sure what flashback cards you mean, because Thraben Heretic can only target creature cards.  The first time this was used against me was to prevent my undying guy coming back.  Prior to this I thought it's primary use would be removing cards before people could bring them back with Ghoulraiser type effects.

Cheers

Right. Haven't played with the card much yet and didn't reread it word for word. My second thought was still to remove flashback, I just forgot, that it wouldn't work, because of "creature card".
I draft it because it is a 2/2 bear for 2CMC.  That it has an extra ability is a bonus for me.

Edit: because it is a 2/2 HUMAN bear for 2CMC.  :-)  
Yeah, how did you miss that? ;)

Seriously though, a 2/2 human for is excellent. Adding this utility on top is just randomly awesome.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!