What do you think of this deck?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just built this deck and I'm having a blast with it. What do you think? Look like fun? I'm thinking of changing it around. Maybe adding a few Immerwolf cards or a Sliver of some sort. Possibly 3 more 1x Ludevic's Test Subject//Ludevic's Abomination

Cards: 40
Land: 18

2x Swamp
2x Island
2x Plains
2x Forest
2x Mountain
1x Vivid Marsh
1x Vivid Creek
1x Vivid Meadow
1x Vivid Grove
1x Vivid Crag
3x Shimmering Grotto

Creatures: 12

3x Drogskol Captain
2x Stromkirk Captain
1x Diregraf Captain
2x Rakish Heir
1x Falkenrath Aristocrat
2x Soul Seizer//Ghastly Haunting
1x Ludevic's Test Subject//Ludevic's Abomination

Other: 10
4x Runed Stalactite
2x Call to the Kindred
2x Moonmist
1x Naturalize
1x Full Moon's Rise

I actually have a couple of rules questions for anyone who cares to answer:

1) Let's say you had a Vampire and a Lizard, and both were enchanted with Call to the Kindred. Would you look at the top 5 cards of your library, putting 2 creature cards onto the battlefield (1 lizard, 1 vampire)? Or would you declare that you are looking for a lizard, flip over 5 cards, resolve it, then declare that you are looking for a vampire and flip over the next 5 cards?

I have been playing that you look at the top 5 and select 2.

2) Let's say you have a Soul Seizer and it is equipped with a Runed Stalactite. Then you play Moonmist. There is a problem with the literal wording on the card. Because Soul Seizer didn't deal combat damage to a player, it doesn't meet the necessary criteria for attaching it to a creature that your opponent controls. But it transforms anyway. 

I have been playing that you would enchant a target creature that one of your opponents controls.

First off, a constructed deck needs 60 cards to be legal, so you need to add 20 cards to the deck.

About your rules questions (Rules Q&A is the place to ask, but whatever):

1) You choose the order of the triggers on the stack and they'll resolve in reverse order. So whatever you put there first will resolve second. If you put the trigger of the Call enchanting the vampire on top, you look at the top 5 cards and choose one that is a vampire, then put the rest on the bottom of the library. Afterwards, when the other trigger resolves, you look at the five cards, that are on top now, choose a lizard from them, then put the rest on the bottom. Triggers never combine, they resolve independently of each other, and you have to resolve them completely before resolving the next (with chances for all players to respond in between).

2) Yes it will transform. and it will be an aura that's not attached to anything, so SBAs will put it into the graveyard right away. You're not instructed to attach it, and it isn't entering the battlefield, so you don't get to attach it to anything.

Moonmist is an instant, not an enchant. It transforms all transformable creatures, and lets them deal damage...

Anyway, the deck is really funky, and it doesn't exactly make sense. It seems like you wanna run spirits because of your Drogskol captain, but then you also have vampires and Lizards. It also seems like you wanna run zombies due to your Diregraf captain. You need to pick a theme and stick with it. Are you gonna do zombies, or vampires?? That's not to say only run zombies, or only run vampires, but you need to have a majority of one type in your deck, and then focus on boosting that type.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Thanks for answering my questions, rezzahan. The first time I played magic was at a tournament; :P I just figured that 40 cards was a standard thing. I'll need to bulk up all my decks in that case. 

I'll add more land, Drogskols, Stromkirks, Ludevic's Test Subjects, and probably some more call to the kindred, and maybe some more defensive stuff.

@ TototheCat: Acutally the theme revolves around the Runed Stalactites.

The Drogskol Captains, Diregraf Captains, and  Stromkirk Captains all provide buffs to their own creature type, and moonmist provides benefits for doublesided cards of a specific creature type. The problem with using it to transform Soul Seizer is that it would turn into an enchantment before it had an opportunity to deal damage.

Here's the theme:

Let's say you have 2 Drogskols out and 1 Stromkirk and a Diregraf out and all of them are equipped with Runed Stalactites. Each creature gets the benefit of being both a spirit, zombie, and a vampire. So they would all be +3/+3, hexproof and have first strike. And whenever one of them died (except for the diregraf) an opponent would suffer 1 damage.

Now let's say that one of the equipped creatures has Call of the Kindred. That means that at the beginning of every upkeep, you would search your deck for a creature card that shares a type with the enchanted creature. Because of the Runed Stalactite, you could pull out any creature you wanted and put it on the battlefield.

Let's say you pull out ludevic's test subject. Equip it with a runed stalactite, and it becomes a human. Then, cast moonmist. It transforms without having to pay 10 extra mana over the course of several turns. Because of the runed stalactite, it is a 13/13 with +6/+6 (that's +1/+1 for each of the drogskol, stromkirk, and diregraf captains, and +1/+1 for the equipment) first strike, (as it is a vampire) hexproof, (as it is a spirit) and trample.

Then, anything that is equipped with a runed stalactite can deal damage whilst being protected from damage themselves, as they are wolves/werewolves. If you have a rakish heir out, anything that is equipped with the stalactite gains a +1/+1 counter if it damages a player, as it is a vampire. So there you have it. Let the goodness ensue. 
Consider that there are only 4 stalactites in the deck, and a lot of creatures. All it takes is a random shuffle or any type of artifact removal, and you're stck with an ungodly jank board. Also, lands, many more lands.
Exactly...or something just day of judgments you...
The thing is your deck is so 1 dimensional, it hurts. Without the stalactites, everything falls apart. Even if you get your army out, simple removal will handle that-or counterspells.
If your going to run a theme like that, then run some changelings. They are kinda like runed stalactite, in that they are every creature type. Also, adding in all 5 colors and more lands for each color (dual colors at least), then your captains will give bonuses to more creatures. Imperious Perfect helps your buff deck. I know there is another elf creature that does that too, but it's name escapes me right now.

I would also only add in buffers and changelings. 2 of every buffer you want, and 4 of every changeling you add. Runed stalactite will push up your buffers, and I know there are other spells to do that as well. Imagine a deck where every creature gets the bonus for every buffer on the field. It's a powerful deck idea.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
been along time gone, but i started messing around with some ideas after i seen some of the cards released since i last left(timespiral just dropped) so i decide to fiddle with one of my favorite decks.

things to keep in mind, it is a casual game deck built on legacy format and i enjoy making mono color decks(yes i know there are multicolor cards in it) as making a good one is hard. the original deck this stemmed from was able to hold against multicolor turney decks and has done ok against vintage tourney decks but was never meant to be brought into that environment. i checked the legacy banned list and dont believe i missed anything. so next is what is your opinions?

Creatures                                                                        Spells                                      Other Permenants
Arcanis the Omnipotent             1                                 Force of Will   4                          Vedalken Orrery              1
Jace, the Mind Sculptor              1                                 Brainstorm     3                          Helm of Awakening         4
Shapesharer                              2                                 Ponder          3                          Mind Over Matter             2
Phyrexian Metamorph                4                                 Reminisce      2                           Dream Halls                    2
Shifty Doppelganger                  3                                 Mana Drain    4                           Leyline of Anticipation    1
Riptide Shapeshifter                  3
Sphinx of the Steel Wind            1                                   Lands
Magister Sphinx                         1                                  Island        17
Enigma Sphinx                           1                                  Minamo, School at Water's Edge    1
Sharuum the Hegemon              1                                  Tolaria        1
Darksteel Colossus                   1                                   Oboro, Palace in the Clouds    1 
Blightsteel Colossus                  1

Magic the Drinking Game rules
here are the rules for MtDG: 1.at the beginning of each players turn that player takes a drink. 2.whenever a permanent you control is placed in a graveyard from play, drink. 3. whenever a spell you play is countered, drink. if the countered spells caster attempts to counter the counter, the loser of the counter battle must drink for a number of seconds for each counterspell that went on the stack. 4. whenever a player "loses life" that player must drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life lost. (a) if a player would gain life, that player may make another player drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life gained. 5. if a player puts a card from their library into their graveyard that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to the number of cards placed in graveyard. 6.if a player would discard a card that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to cards discarded. 7. on any coinflip the loser must drink. 8. at the end of each game all players must finish their drink. 9. loser must fetch all drinks/refills for the next game. if playing multiplayer use a**hole heirarchy(president,vp,secretary,treasurer,a**hole) 10. a player who wins 3 consecutive matches may add a "world effect" that affects all players and can not be removed without winning 3 consecutive matches and negating effect. multiple effects stack i.e if person wins 3 games then wins another 3 games both effects that player created stack. 11. ALL cards are legal, including ante cards.

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
1x emrakul, the aeons torn
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus
3x karn, liberated
1x kozilek, butcher of truth
2x mana confluence
2x oblivion stone
4x proteus staff
4x relic of progenitus
1x ulamog, the infinite gyre
4x urza's mine
4x urza's power plant
4x urza's tower
2x wurmcoil engine

[/deck]

Why are you hijacking this thread for an entirely unrelated deck? Despite the thread's title (which could have been chosen better, I admit) this is about that particular deck in the OP, not for rating various decks. Make a new thread for yours instead, and use the autocard function instead of links.
@fillupyourcup-ya dirty thread jacker! Haha! But seriously guy...
Rebuilt the deck. A Coat of Arms would be awesome, but I don't have that card and it's a touch expensive. :/ As are multipurpose land cards.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Cards: 60

Land:

3x Swamp
3x Mountain 
3x Island 
2x Plains 
2x Forest 
4x Shimmering Grotto
1x Glacial Fortress 
1x Vivid Marsh
1x Vivid Crag
1x Vivid Creek
1x Vivid Meadow
1x Vivid Grove 

I also have 4 manaliths listed in the artifact section, for a total of 27 mana-generating cards.

Creatures: 16

4x Drogskol Captain
4x Stromkirk Captain
2x Tormented Soul
1x Invisible Stalker
2x Rakish Heir
3x Ludevic's Test Subject//Ludevic's Abomination

Artifacts: 15

4x Manalith
4x Runed Stalactite
3x Mirrorworks
2x Explorer's Scope
1x Avacyn's Collar
1x Butcher's Cleaver

Enchantments, Sorcery & Instants: 6

1x Full Moon's Rise
2x Call to the Kindred
2x Moonmist
1x Increasing Ambition
dont be angry at me for posting in the thread titled to what i wanted to know.

here are the rules for MtDG: 1.at the beginning of each players turn that player takes a drink. 2.whenever a permanent you control is placed in a graveyard from play, drink. 3. whenever a spell you play is countered, drink. if the countered spells caster attempts to counter the counter, the loser of the counter battle must drink for a number of seconds for each counterspell that went on the stack. 4. whenever a player "loses life" that player must drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life lost. (a) if a player would gain life, that player may make another player drink for a number of seconds equal to amount of life gained. 5. if a player puts a card from their library into their graveyard that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to the number of cards placed in graveyard. 6.if a player would discard a card that player drinks for a number of seconds equal to cards discarded. 7. on any coinflip the loser must drink. 8. at the end of each game all players must finish their drink. 9. loser must fetch all drinks/refills for the next game. if playing multiplayer use a**hole heirarchy(president,vp,secretary,treasurer,a**hole) 10. a player who wins 3 consecutive matches may add a "world effect" that affects all players and can not be removed without winning 3 consecutive matches and negating effect. multiple effects stack i.e if person wins 3 games then wins another 3 games both effects that player created stack. 11. ALL cards are legal, including ante cards.

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus
3x karn, liberated
1x kozilek, butcher of truth
2x mana confluence
2x oblivion stone
4x proteus staff
4x relic of progenitus
1x ulamog, the infinite gyre
4x urza's mine
4x urza's power plant
4x urza's tower
2x wurmcoil engine

[/deck]

It's cool dude. Honest mistake. I should have been more careful about the thread title myself, I suppose.
ya wasnt trying to hijack your thread just didnt want to add another thread to the main part when what i wanted to know was already posted, other forums i visit get upity about such things as the same question asked multiple times one the first page.

Modern EldraziTron
[deck]

2x all is dust
1x blightsteel colossus
4x blinkmoth nexus
4x chromatic sphere
4x chromatic star
4x eldrazi conscription
4x expedition map
1x eye of ugin
4x inkmoth nexus