Update on March 20th?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
We still havn't heard any word of the scheduled March 20th update. Usually it's completed by now. Hopefully it comes through soon. My biggest concern is that they fix the MB to stop the black screen crash from appearing when you edit monster powers.
There doesn't seem to be a forum announcement, though at least the compendium looks like it updated (don't have access to silverlight at the moment to check any other tools)
The CB was crashing even more frequently than usual yesterday, and actually outright ate one of my characters (which it's never done before), which I take to be a sign that something was happening at WotC's end...

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

The release notes for the new version are posted in the link below:

wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/...
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

It appears that the update has been completed. 
AsmodeusLore D&D Insider News Guide Follow Me

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Asmodeus, the article is mis-titled (March, not February), but thanks for letting us know.
Still no word on getting the newer class features listed for hybrid classes such as Psion and Monk? As of now it's not possible to have a Hybrid Shaper Psion or Hybrid Desert Wind Monk (not even older Iron Soul). The two classes only have the initial two class PHB3 features in their hybrid options.
Why aren't these big things listed in the known issues? Is it because there are no plans on doing/fixing them?

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

still havent fixed the ninja hybrid either Undecided
Asmodeus, the article is mis-titled (March, not February), but thanks for letting us know.

Thanks for the head's up. Trevor has corrected this. Here is the new link.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Still no word on getting the newer class features listed for hybrid classes such as Psion and Monk? As of now it's not possible to have a Hybrid Shaper Psion or Hybrid Desert Wind Monk (not even older Iron Soul). The two classes only have the initial two class PHB3 features in their hybrid options.
Why aren't these big things listed in the known issues? Is it because there are no plans on doing/fixing them?

I'm reporting and following up on these issues now. If you happen to know which issues or books they were published in, that would be useful information.

Frothsof, You may have to clarify the ninja bug a bit for me.
Is this a problem with the Character Builder not having class features which have been published, or is this an issue of Hybrid options that were never developed and released?

It appears that the new builds made in the Elemental Chaos book were published without any hybrid information. That is why there is no option for it in the Character Builder.

Actually, for the Monk specifically (haven't looked at psion), the Hybrid Monk entry in PHB3 is fully compatible with the new Monk builds - they need not have a specific hybrid desert wind option, because the Hybrid Monk entry in PHB3 does not specify a list, it just says "you pick a style."

That the CB doesn't let you select all of the styles is a bug, but not because it lacks information in the database - it is just missing the duplicate list of styles that the normal Monk has access to.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Actually, for the Monk specifically (haven't looked at psion), the Hybrid Monk entry in PHB3 is fully compatible with the new Monk builds - they need not have a specific hybrid desert wind option, because the Hybrid Monk entry in PHB3 does not specify a list, it just says "you pick a style."

That the CB doesn't let you select all of the styles is a bug, but not because it lacks information in the database - it is just missing the duplicate list of styles that the normal Monk has access to.

I'm looking at the hybrid monk in the character builder. I see where it wants me to select a Monastic Tradition(hybrid). If the hybrid monastic traditions were never created for the new builds, then there is no bug in the character builder. The Character Builder cannot list an option that doesn't exist.

The 'bug', if there is one, is that there are no hybrid traditions that have been created for the new builds. That is something that will have to be taken up with the designers. Perhaps they can add them in as part of a new article in Dragon magazine?

I'm looking at the hybrid monk in the character builder. I see where it wants me to select a Monastic Tradition(hybrid). If the hybrid monastic traditions were never created for the new builds, then there is no bug in the character builder. The Character Builder cannot list an option that doesn't exist.

The 'bug', if there is one, is that there are no hybrid traditions that have been created for the new builds. That is something that will have to be taken up with the designers. Perhaps they can add them in as part of a new article in Dragon magazine?

Well, as Mand12 said, speaking of Monastic Traditions, there's really no difference from hybrid to normal, except for the obvious added line of "only when hitting with Monk powers". So they could as well add it to the CB, since even in the Hybrid Monk entry in the Compendium it says "Choose a Monastic Tradition option. You gain only the Flurry of Blows power associated with that option." - It's really there in the rules, so I say it's a CB issue.

It's true for the Psion though, that something should be wrote, since of the two Discipline Focus powers, only one makes it to hybrid, and they should decide which of the two Shaper powers you get. Although yet again, it's also quite obvious from the other two choices that you would get the "utility one" for free (Minor Creation), and then would have to spend Hybrid Talent to get the "combat one" (Shaped Consciousness).

Well, now THIS would be an easy article to pitch in for Dragon publication, it really doesn't require any work but copy-pasting!

EDIT: Even for the Hybrid Executioner, at this point it's only a CB issue, since the entry in the Compendium says "You choose a guild and gain the benefit of the Guild Attacks class feature, except that you choose only two of the at-will attack powers associated with your guild." - and Ninja is a guild just like any other, and it's in a Dragon magazine that should be covered.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!

*All my latest rolls!*

- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

And months later, they still can't get Versatile Expertise working correctly. At least now the text is correct - too bad it is still using the old math for calculating bonuses.

I'm starting to wonder exactly what we are paying for - since QA testing doesn't appear to be part of it.
And months later, they still can't get Versatile Expertise working correctly. At least now the text is correct - too bad it is still using the old math for calculating bonuses.

Yeah, I noticed this yesterday and sent in a bug report. Battle Song Expertise is not working properly either (text says the bonus applies to all attacks with a proficient weapon, but the builder only applies it to attacks with the weapon keyword). I haven't tried out any of the other "Tools of Two Trades" feats, but I wouldn't be surprised if BSE isn't the only one that's not implemented correctly.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I rechecked this once I had access to my books and see more clearly what you were trying to show me. I'll follow up with this and see if we can get it corrected. 

I'm starting to wonder exactly what we are paying for - since QA testing doesn't appear to be part of it.

Have you submitted a bug report for this problem yet?

I rechecked this once I had access to my books and see more clearly what you were trying to show me. I'll follow up with this and see if we can get it corrected. 

Thanks! It's both Hybrid Monk and Hybrid Executioner Assassin, suffering from basically the same problem.

And really, even rgearding the Hybrid Psion, it would be really dumb to have to have a Dragon article just so we know which power we get for free of the two Shaper Focus ones. Especially since the trend is clear in giving the lesser one for free and the more powerful one with Hybrid Talent option... True, it would be a boon for us if a hypothetical article specified you get the beautiful Shaped Consciousness for free with the hybrid class, but making an article just for that..?

*All my latest rolls!*

Nature's Allies

for the Hybrid Executioner, at this point it's only a CB issue, since the entry in the Compendium says "You choose a guild and gain the benefit of the Guild Attacks class feature, except that you choose only two of the at-will attack powers associated with your guild." - and Ninja is a guild just like any other, and it's in a Dragon magazine that should be covered.

yes plz fix im begging

Have you submitted a bug report for this problem yet?

Yes, twice now (I reported bug last month as well). In both cases the response basically boils down to - "That is not our department, we will let them know, but we have no idea when they will fix it"

So this month they knew it was a problem, but couldn't be bothered to check to see if their change did anything more than update the text.

Pathetic.

Yes, twice now

I've submitted another bug specifying that the bonus for these feats is not being correctly applied for powers that don't have the weapon keyword.

Sign In to post comments