Lingering Souls and Intangible Virtue BANNED

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lingering Souls isn't that surprising, but I didn't expect to see Intangible Virtue hit too for the coup de grace. 

What decks do you think this opens up for competition in the format? 
The Red-White decks with Rally the Peasents has always been pretty good, and since Dark Ascension it seems to have become even more powerful thanks to Hellrider.

I've been playing the sorta Frites of Block, reanimating Drogskul Reaver, it's mana base is all over the place but it gets abit better with this banning.

The Zombies decks which function abit better as Black-Red decks, no longer have to concern themselves with Spirits that either chumped before or traded upright thanks to the Virtue being gone too, that's one deck that seems really frightening now.

And I've been seeing alot of Red-Green lists that have 'just' the Daybreak Ranger and the Huntmaster, those won't be any worse for ware either.

The self milling Spider-Spawning style decks dropped immensely when binning someone's Lingering Souls became a problem, so maybe they'll come back around now.

And there have been so many block decks that use to splash this way and that for Garruk. I'm wondering now if we'll instead start to see him in just strictly more concentrated Green-White or Green-Red decks again (but that's probably wishful thinking).

The prime removal spell of the format has been Sever the Bloodline so I must say I'm suprised with the bannings.

It gives me great cause to think that there is more then meets the annoucement, going on here. Perhaps cards in the current standard environment will keep down some sort of super token strategy, but cards that are in Avacyn Restored are just too powerful within the confines of block constructed.

Its hard to fathom, but I can say that compared to Scars of Mirrodin, Inninstrad block constructed has an infinite ammount of varience/variety compared to it's predecessor, this time last year.  
The Red-White decks with Rally the Peasents has always been pretty good, and since Dark Ascension it seems to have become even more powerful thanks to Hellrider.

I've been playing the sorta Frites of Block, reanimating Drogskul Reaver, it's mana base is all over the place but it gets abit better with this banning.

The Zombies decks which function abit better as Black-Red decks, no longer have to concern themselves with Spirits that either chumped before or traded upright thanks to the Virtue being gone too, that's one deck that seems really frightening now.

And I've been seeing alot of Red-Green lists that have 'just' the Daybreak Ranger and the Huntmaster, those won't be any worse for ware either.

The self milling Spider-Spawning style decks dropped immensely when binning someone's Lingering Souls became a problem, so maybe they'll come back around now.

And there have been so many block decks that use to splash this way and that for Garruk. I'm wondering now if we'll instead start to see him in just strictly more concentrated Green-White or Green-Red decks again (but that's probably wishful thinking).

The prime removal spell of the format has been Sever the Bloodline so I must say I'm suprised with the bannings.

It gives me great cause to think that there is more then meets the annoucement, going on here. Perhaps cards in the current standard environment will keep down some sort of super token strategy, but cards that are in Avacyn Restored are just too powerful within the confines of block constructed.

Its hard to fathom, but I can say that compared to Scars of Mirrodin, Inninstrad block constructed has an infinite ammount of varience/variety compared to it's predecessor, this time last year.  

They'd have banned it earlier if this was about AVR.

The MTGO results show that everything is Lingering Souls-splash-red and Lingering Souls-splash-green decks, so there was basically nothing seeing play that wasn't a token deck.
The MTGO results show that everything is Lingering Souls-splash-blue and Lingering Souls-splash-green decks, so there was basically nothing seeing play that wasn't a token deck. 

And everything online now is RW with Hellrider. I just put together a BW token deck a few days ago and ordered some cards for it yesterday (thanks Wizards!). Over the past couple of nights I played it online and out of the 15 or so matches that I played (both tournaments and casual/tournament practice) exactly TWO were not RW with Hellrider. So much for diversity. So, should Hellrider be banned now? If you want to ban cards to promote diversity then I'd say that 13 out of 15 decks using the same exact card/strategy isn't very diverse.

The RW Hellrider deck certainly had an advantage over BW tokens in most of the matches.
The MTGO results show that everything is Lingering Souls-splash-blue and Lingering Souls-splash-green decks, so there was basically nothing seeing play that wasn't a token deck. 

And everything online now is RW with Hellrider. I just put together a BW token deck a few days ago and ordered some cards for it yesterday (thanks Wizards!). Over the past couple of nights I played it online and out of the 15 or so matches that I played (both tournaments and casual/tournament practice) exactly TWO were not RW with Hellrider. So much for diversity. So, should Hellrider be banned now? If you want to ban cards to promote diversity then I'd say that 13 out of 15 decks using the same exact card/strategy isn't very diverse.

The RW Hellrider deck certainly had an advantage over BW tokens in most of the matches.

It was like that before, though - just the Hellrider decks also had Lingering Souls.
ahh come on, banning intangible virtue you gotta be kidding.. start a new deck all over? a new deck will rise anyway.. 

I really hate bans, they should come up with counters faster instead. 

With my three block decks containing complete sets of both these cards now makes all three unplayable. Thus, i'm giving up block play period. NO sense not playing what i loved to play and build something different all together. So i'm done with block until the next block rolls out.

From the Explaination:

There were some variations to the base white-black deck. One could add green mana, which adds Gavony Township, gives Ray of Revelation flashback, and allows the option of Garruk Relentless. One could add red mana, which adds Hellrider and Devil's Play. However, this isn't the diverse format most people enjoy.

So lack of blue in a format means something must get banned?
I have no problems, I could just use a bit of time.
Any colour being completely missing from a format is a pretty strong sign that something is wrong.
blah blah metal lyrics
Hey you guys against the BAN,
 have you played some PE event on MTGO in ISD block constructed lately? These two cards are really all over the place. I know they seems fun when you play them and win with them against crappy decks, but even tho I play a deck that include these 2 cards, the fun isn't there anymore. I've played the main event last week and in 10 rounds I have seen 9 times the white red black deck. The same deck for 9 out of 10 person doesnt seem really fun to me. When you get down to 1 viable deck in tournament, the thinking game of magic is not here anymore its all about the luck of the draw and the topcard on your deck. 
These Cards were broken but unbanning them should happen due to AVR.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

I thought that part of the reason for banning Lingering Souls was because they knew that AVR was also bringing Favorable Winds. Otherwise they would have just banned Intangible Virtue.

AVR does bring a few additional board sweepers. One thing that makes Lingering Souls so powerful though is that not only does one card give you four creatures, but you can cast the first half, then just leave the flashback sitting in your graveyard for after your opponent uses a board sweeper. Your opponent is almost always going to end up having to 2-for-1 themselves to handle the card.

This isn't to say that I disagree with you though. I don't know how things would play out if the card returned to block. I just think that this is probably part of Wizard's thinking on the bans.