Zombie deck. Any advice?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
So a friend of mine is helping me make this standard so i can jump in the local tournaments and i have a few cards that arent really standard legal but i'm wondering what i could do to make this deck run smoothely and be great for tournies. it has a great swarm ability which has helped greatly with my mid/late game wins. here's the deck:

Jace, Memory Adept
Skaab Goliath
Vengeful Pharaoh
Rotting Fensnake
Abattoir Ghoul
Makeshift Mauler
Solemn Simulacrum
Havengul Runebinder
Diregraf Captain x2
Headless Skaab
Adaptive Automaton
Ghoulraiser x2
Walking Corpse x3
Vedalken Ghoul
Nightscape Familiar x2
Diregraf Ghoul x3

Spells:
Endless Ranks of the Dead x2
Call to the Grave
Rise from the Grave
Black Sun's Zenith
Moan of the Unhallowed
Ghoulcaller's Chant
Doom Blade x3
Mana Leak
Ponder
Thought Scour
Mystic Retrieval

Lands:
Drowned Catacomb
Jwar Isle Refuge x4
Swamp x9
Island x9
my biggest bit of advise is to trim your deck down on the variety of card and beef up on specific ones. you have a lot of good cards listed but you aren't going to be very consistant while playing because there's no gaurentee you'll pull the specific cards you may be looking for that particular game.

you don't seem to have any particular goal with this deck. i mean are you aiming to deck someone with the jace or overrun them with zombies. the quickest way to do what i described in the above paragraph is pick the way you wish to win the game then build to that end. you probably want to create 2-3 solid ways to achieve that goal and flesh out that idea.

I run a blue/black zombie deck that is created to create tokens and buff them through cards like endless ranks of the dead, army of the damned and then buff with cemetery reaper and diregraf captain.

for good measure i added my second way to win with grimgrin, corpse-born, gravecrawler and grave pact. note that the buffing from the first win condition helps with my second one. integrating the win conditions as best you can will help you to win more consistantly as much as having playsets (4 of the same card, which is the limit for nonbasic land type cards) of good cards that work to your preset win conditions.

i do realize that grave pact isn't going to work in standard for you but it is a working example that i use that will hopefully give you an idea on how to better your deck.