Core Books I'd like to see

First book I would like to see for 5e is Rules Compendium.  So all the rules are in one book, with no other things about classes and races in it.

Second book I would like to see is a book totally dedicated to classes and how to play them both mechanically and roleplaywise.  It can have races as well, but I'd prefer another book for them as well.

If you've noticed my number one problem with the current books is that they tend to pick up whatever info that is new and put it into a book, so you have at least 10 books that have class, race, and other info in them that it sometimes get confusing which book you want.

I love The Rules Compendium over the PH1 because all the information pertaining to the rules was in one book, rather than whatever book had the power.
and roleplaywise.

Some suggestions on this front, perhaps, if they ranged from the typical to the unusual, maybe, but at no point should the game tell you how to roleplay your character, whether due to class, race, or anything else.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Not gonna happen.  Wizards, for all the good stuff they put out, is a company making money first and foremost.  They will always want to add new material to bring in more money, which means more books with more rules.

Besides, the players handbook had all the rules the players needed for playing *plus* all the races, classes and equipment in one book.  You are basically saying you would require all the players to have two books rather than one.
Initially I just want to see one core rulebook with players, DMs and Bestiary sections. Throw in a set of most likely used tables and a pull out DM screen at the back, and I'm happy!

Use the following expansions to sell me classes and races to follow the initial release.
Likewise with campaign settings/source books. 
I'd rather see a Core Rulebook (PHB+DMG) and a decent sized Monster Manual with art for each monster in it. As for a Rules Comp. I'd rather that come later once they've worked out the kinks that people have found cause I would not like to go out and buy another Rules Comp after a year or two.
I'd rather see a Core Rulebook (PHB+DMG) and a decent sized Monster Manual with art for each monster in it. As for a Rules Comp. I'd rather that come later once they've worked out the kinks that people have found cause I would not like to go out and buy another Rules Comp after a year or two.

This!

A core rulebook with a slim DM section at the back and a small set of iconic monsters (some undead, some goblins, some orcs, and a dragon), a DMG with lots of great DM stuff in it (more like the 4e DMG1+2, get Robin D Laws for this please!) and an iconic starter adventure, and a MM like the 4e MM with the counters in it. Plus a box set of iconic monster minis.

WotC: Please don't split the PHB into 2-3 seperate books.

This!

A core rulebook with a slim DM section at the back and a small set of iconic monsters (some undead, some goblins, some orcs, and a dragon), a DMG with lots of great DM stuff in it (more like the 4e DMG1+2, get Robin D Laws for this please!) and an iconic starter adventure, and a MM like the 4e MM with the counters in it. Plus a box set of iconic monster minis.

+1

This is how pathfinder dealt with the issue. They put the DMG and the PHB combined as a Core rulebook. For it to contain creatures in it? Maybe for an sample adventure, not for an mini-beastry.
CENTER]IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/9.jpg)[/CENTER]
I want the traditional PHB, DMG, and MM with a continuing splatter of whatever books WotC feels like putting out from there.
I want to see 4 main books players handbook with all the d&d campaign world races to play with feats and skills rules. the Players Guide book with all the classes paragons epic paths armor weapons powers. The DM guide with a section dedicated to the basic principle of all the campaign worlds to allow the DM to choose and create in that world if he chooses. And the monster manual. Cut out alot of the crap monsters etc from the mm 1-3. and the rest Fluff later on
I'm sick of books with extra class and race comming out all the time.
All that's really needed for the core rules are three books-- a Player's Handbook, a Dungeon Master's Guide, and a Monster Manual. Barring that, the setup that was used for Essentials might work, if it was modified. For example, one book for creating characters, as opposed to two.
Something I was just thinking. They won't do this 'cause of tradition and stuff, but I think it would help a lot making the game truly modular.

I would like the normal PHB / DMG / MM split to be changed to: Core Rulebook, Player Options, Worldbuilder.
Core Rulebook has all the rules for both DM and players. Combat rules are all in here, rules for skills and using skills are in here. There's the DM advice in here too, and the rules to create monsters, encounters, challenges, rules for rewards, all the mechanical stuff. No or very few examples, it's just the barebone mechanics of the system, along with the various modules regarding mechanics.
Player Options has all the character building options and only the character building options. A whole book dedicated to races, classes, themes, powers, feats, skill tricks, equipment (not magic items)... all that stuff.
Worldbuilder is the interesting one. It's a DM book that details how the rules presented in the Core Rulebook can be used to describe the world. It isn't exactly required to play, but it'd be sold anyway because it also has the monster examples (fewer than a classic Monster Manual, but there's a Monster Vault as a splatbook for a couple months later). Also, it has chapters dedicated to all sorts of examples. Stuff like "sure, these are the base DCs for an Athletics check, but is climbing a rocky mountain a medium or hard DC?" or "what kind of stats would this NPC have?". Lots of examples for NPCs, creatures, monsters, traps, terrain and features for the terrain, skill check DCs, random tables, magic item examples... Everything you need to populate your world. Again, not strictly needed 'cause you can build it based on the Core Rulebook easily, and you wouldn't probably need to bring it to play either 'cause only the DM preparing the game needs it. But it covers extensively all the immersion aspects of the game that the bare rules contained in the other two books can harm so much.
Are you interested in an online 4E game on Sunday? Contact me with a PM!
Show
Reflavoring: the change of flavor without changing any mechanical part of the game, no matter how small, in order to fit the mechanics to an otherwise unsupported concept. Retexturing: the change of flavor (with at most minor mechanical adaptations) in order to effortlessly create support for a concept without inventing anything new. Houseruling: the change, either minor or major, of the mechanics in order to better reflect a certain aspect of the game, including adapting the rules to fit an otherwise unsupported concept. Homebrewing: the complete invention of something new that fits within the system in order to reflect an unsupported concept.
Ideas for 5E

This!

+1

This is how pathfinder dealt with the issue. They put the DMG and the PHB combined as a Core rulebook. For it to contain creatures in it? Maybe for an sample adventure, not for an mini-beastry.

Thats actually where I got the idea for it.
Also the DM section of the Core Rulebook should have a few pages dedicated to creating your own monsters, something I generally hate having to page through multiple books to have to do.