Questions about a high intimidation skill and how it works?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post

I’m having a bit of a debate with my DM about the intimidation skill.  I’m currently playing a lv 2 paladin dragonborn and his intimidation skill comes in at 19.

+5 for my Charisma modifier
+1 for half level bonus
+2 for dragonborn Racial
+5 for training the skill
+4 Intimidation of the dragon feat
+2 from Champion of Bahamut for background option

Now first when I made the character I didn’t realize it was going to come out this high.  I was a little surprised at the score myself.  I made a lot of character choices based on how I was going to RP the character and his backstory I’ve written up.

Here’s the problem were having.  My DM seems to feel that intimidation is just the brute force method check of you roar at someone to get your way and basically the brute force method always applies to it.

While I feel this is a valid way to interpret the skill and I don’t begrudge him for thinking this way.  I have more of the mindset that’s less brute force most of the times.  Granted If I want to be a big scary dragonborn I can pull this off nicely, but I feel it’s a valid argument that intimidation is more than just I scare you into doing what I want.  I feel like it can just be an imposing presence, the way I move and hold myself, they look in my eyes.  Something about my character is off putting to ones senses, they look at me and feel un at ease or are more wary because they feel I’m more dangerous then I appear to be.  Or just simple when I give orders, people seemed inclined to carry them out if there simple enough rather than argue with me.

Maybe I’m being to much of a power gamer here and if so I plan on fixing this but it does bring up my other question. Is 19 a bit high for a lv 2 character?  Hell if I took the + 3 intimidation skill focus instead of my multiclass feat on my character I could wind up with a +22 to intimidate at lv 2.   

So I’m basically asking for a clarification if I’m abusing the to much rules and if I should just tone the skill down by removing maybe the +4 feat  or suggestions from other players and DM’s on how to best handle this situation. 

Nope. I think it can blow clear past +20 with other boosters (don't forget your item bonus - Screaming Armor!), and most of the time, you'd be checking against wills around 15+10 around the level, so it really pays to get it as high as you can.

Being that intimidatomancy and its application (or lack thereof) is almost purely in the hands of your DM, he can interpret the skill as he likes, and I have played with some before who don't see it as anything other than physical threat of force. I do believe, however, that Intimidate can and should be roleplayed as something far more subtle and political - veiled threats, silent physical presence, etc.

If your DM has a problem with that, take the Noble theme and check it its U2 - use intimidate at +5 and subsitute any Bluff or Diplomacy attempt with it. Now you have a free liscence to roleplay it however you'd like. And yes, I've done this before. Your roleplay gets surprisingly better when you get to back it up by telling your DM "I rolled a 35 for intimidate." At level 2.
This is more of a rules question...  unless you want to know how to get it higher...

But yea.. it's really up to your DM.  Personally, i would rule people's reactions to it as a blunt force.  People will just run (figuritly, if not physicly) from what they are afraid of.  People will follow your orders and do as you say, but only untill they feel they can escape.

But as to how you intimidate...  i could see that done plenty of ways.  In fact, i think screaming would be a lesser option.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

In combat, you take a -10 for attempting to intimidate a hostile creature, which needs to be bloodied anyway. So, it's not exactly an auto-win there, even with a +19.

Out of combat, as RenZhe says, your DM has control over when you're allowed to make the check, what the results are, and what your target DC for success is. Even in LFR, where the DC and results are specified, the DM can feel free to apply circumstancial penalties to your check, based on the target's attitude toward you. (This is mentioned explicitly in the RC.) 
I would point him to the RC description of intimidate, "influence others through hostile actions, brute force or deadly persuasion." If it were always just getting in someone's face and screaming it would probably be a STR skill instead of CHA.

And remember, just because you can, doesn't mean you have to. In other words, if you don't try to use Intimidate at every turn ("Door is locked" "I roll a 31 on Intimidate!") but instead apply it in moderation, your DM is more likely to 'let you get away with it'. Moderation also includes not trying to make everyone surrender as soon as they're bloodied, especially when they are obviously not going to (undead...)
@RenZhe

"you'd be checking against wills around 15+10 around the level, so it really pays to get it as high as you can."

Where are you getting the +10 from?  Are you referring to the -10 in combat

As for everyone else

I think our biggest problem is my DM is a little new to the system and so am I.  Maybe were just running the DC wrong on the intimidate.  I'll give you an example of what happened last night that brought most of this up as a discussion around the table.

There was a meeting going on in the inn we were in.  The heads of 5 different holy orders were meeting up above on the 2nd story while the party was having drinks below.  Our lv 2 rouge Eladrin decided he REALLY wanted to find out what was going on.  This was a meeting with at least a few lv 11 paragon NPC's in it and the DM gave a semi blunt warning that this was not a good idea by having the guards at the door to kindly ask our rogue to go back down and have a drink when he couldn’t talk his way past the guards in his Paylor priest outfit.   The rogue pushed his idea, trying to find a way in until he finally just used his fey step race power to get past the guards and into the room.

Long story short the meeting went sour because his character appeared dressed as a priest that didn’t belong in the meeting. So a fight broke out between the five factions.  The guards caught and threw him out on his face with the fight going full force upstairs and my character being the paladin he is, rushed up hoping to do something.   It’s a totally brawl at this point of priests and paladins of all the factions tossing spells around and each other.

(Nothing is more fun than watching ideals being thrown around literally) 

I’m a lv 2 and the room is filled with like 20 some on NPC’s and at least 6 or so of them would have been paragon tier at lv 11 or 12ish the DM said.  I figured ok not going to be able to get into the fight but perhaps I can just get them to stop for a moment to see what they have degraded themselves into.  So I asked the DM if I could Rp my dragonfear power with my intimidate skill.  I wanted it to come off as if a dragon had just burst into the room and roared then followed by a diplomacy check if I got there attention long enough to point out how such fighting was pointless when people are dying of a plague in the city.

That’s what I wanted at least but the DM said the Dragonfear really is just a combat thing so I rolled with that ruling and asked if I could still run with the intimidate and diplomacy check strategy.  He wasn’t really sure if I should be able to really effect lv 11 NPc’s with my intimidate skill or not at just being lv 2.  My roll for the record came out as 34 for the check.  It was a 15 on the D20 with my 19 skill check.  This lead into the discussion if my skill was too overpowered or was I abusing the rules to much.

So after reading that really what Im looking for is how to help my DM best handle such a high score from someone like me.  As to some of the other posts, I really try not to abuse this.  I very much try to just Rp this off as an imposing presence, the way he holds and carries himself, the way he looks at you.  I very much feel it’s more a subtle intimidation with my character.  I want NPC’s to have the impression im very much more than just a simple paladin from the way I act and move.

(Because in the backstory he very much is but he doesn’t know it yet.  Lost memory plot point in all this.)

Also what does LFR mean?  I know what RC means not heard of LFR yet.
Hello,

Like others said, the roleplaying is up to your DM. Here are a couple of items to help you out:

Flensing Weapon (this helps get around the issue of blooding the target first)
Power Daily (Free Action)
Use this power when you hit with the weapon. The target takes ongoing 5 damage and is considered bloodied even if it has more hit points than its bloodied value (save ends).

Kingslayer's Curse (this helps offset the -10 penalty for hostile creatures)
Gain a +5 bonus to Intimidate checks against hostile and unfriendly targets.

Another great post to help out optimization:   community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
@RenZhe

"you'd be checking against wills around 15+10 around the level, so it really pays to get it as high as you can."

Where are you getting the +10 from?  Are you referring to the -10 in combat

Yes.

And frankly, what you did is awesome, and your DM should just suck it up and roll with it. His choices were either to have a contingency where that's somehow possible, or make the DCs impossibly prohibitive. This is the type of situation that your character was built to shine in, and the type of thing that makes a good story, and a good "hey, remember that one time when..."

If its just roleplay backed by solid mechanics - and it sounds like it is, I think everyone at the table is responsible and adult enough to resolve it via roleplay.

Thanks for some of the weapon idea's those are good to consider for later.

RenZhe.  Yea it was a really great moment.  I felt like such a badass and while we were all kind of annoyed at the rogue for doing what he did we managed to pull out a great scene in the end and I really just wanted to thank my friend for being such a hard headed moron because I got to be so awesome because of it. 

I'm torn between taking some of the more intimidation and diplomacy heavy feats over taking the buff / protect the group powers and feats.  As they are very central to my character.  So many choices it’s a lot of fun.

Maybe I really shout post my backstory.  What’s the best forum for that and to get some feedback on how to roleplay it better.  This is probably the most in depth character I have ever made and the backstory is pushing over 63 pages and 30,000 + words right now as I continue to work on it.  

Character Development is right below Char Op in the D&D Topics overview. Have fun! 

And nothing wrong with taking RP/skill feats over combat feats, btw.  Play the game the way you enjoy it the most.
Using a Flensing Weapon to effectively 1-shot an elite or solo is like ignoring this sign.

Late edit: LFR Means Living Forgotten Realms, the Living Campaign run by the RPGA
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
That’s what I wanted at least but the DM said the Dragonfear really is just a combat thing so I rolled with that ruling and asked if I could still run with the intimidate and diplomacy check strategy.  He wasn’t really sure if I should be able to really effect lv 11 NPc’s with my intimidate skill or not at just being lv 2.  My roll for the record came out as 34 for the check.  It was a 15 on the D20 with my 19 skill check.  This lead into the discussion if my skill was too overpowered or was I abusing the rules to much.

Depends on the priest.

Are they mortal enemies barely able to sit together?  lvl 11 hard DC.
Do they not really know eachother at all?  lvl 11 moderate DC.
Are they generally friendy toward eachother?  lvl 11 easy DC.

Do they consider you hostile? -10.

But yes, a lvl 2, with high skills and a good roll can intimdiate a lvl 11 group to "stop fighting".  Especially if they are otherwise friendly.  Not sure you'd be able to get them to do much else, but that part should of worked.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Forgive the slow reply Finals week for me and work getting in the way.

Yea the weapon seems kind of cheap shot way of doing things and it doesn’t fit my RP style of him.

@MelloRed 
     Thanks that makes a lot of sense and to clarify the situation.  They were not hostile to me and they really aren’t hostile to each other for the most part.  The plague and current tensions have  made relations difficult between the holy orders of this town.   Having our rogue suddenly teleport into a already tense meeting between them wearing a priest of Paylor robe and getting caught was pretty much setting a torch to a powder keg that was ready to blow.  I really wanted to RP the dragon fear aspect as just what the hell walked into the room but alas can’t win them all.  And my only goal was for them to stop fighting long enough for me to speak which is what happened. So by what you have just said I would judge it to be between a easy to a moderate lv 11 DC check considering until  a month ago all these priest’s and paladins were on friendly speaking terms with each other and none of them bear hostility towards me.

I actually had one last question relating to this topic of mine.   Could anyone give me some examples of how a DM weights different situations with a DC check for intimidation?  I plan on DMing my own campaign this summer so I've been studying what my current DM does wrong or right and trying to learn from it.

I get there is the -10 DC check for intimidate while in combat.  Does this apply out of combat in say a more RP sensitive encounter where swords and spells are not flying around? 
Is this more of a custom DC number the DM comes up with depending on the situation of what the player is trying to do and how the NPC react to them already?

This also brings up the question of the topic let’s say my character and another in the party get into an argument.  Does the same -10 modifier apply or is it a straight roll vs there will?

Just some general situations at different levels and how others might play them out would be helpful in my case to study how this all works as I am assuming these rules would apply to most other skill checks anyway.
+4 Intimidation of the dragon feat

Maybe I’m being to much of a power gamer here and if so I plan on fixing this but it does bring up my other question. Is 19 a bit high for a lv 2 character?  Hell if I took the + 3 intimidation skill focus instead of my multiclass feat on my character I could wind up with a +22 to intimidate at lv 2.  

Everyone else seems to have covered your question nicely. But since no one else pointed this out, I wanted to make sure it was covered.

Intimidation of the Dragon: +4 feat bonus to Intimidate.
Skill Focus (Intimidate): +3 feat bonus to Intimidate.

They are both feat bonuses, therefore they would not stack. Not that it's a terrible problem; as others have pointed out, there are many ways to increase your Intimidate score.  
I get there is the -10 DC check for intimidate while in combat.  Does this apply out of combat in say a more RP sensitive encounter where swords and spells are not flying around?

Sure.  If you beat up someone, and put them in jail, they may very well still be hostile toward you.

Is this more of a custom DC number the DM comes up with depending on the situation of what the player is trying to do and how the NPC react to them already?

The DC's are guidelines.  Not hard/fast rules.  But you don't really want to go above or below the min/max because then there's no real chance of success....  unless it's a truely deserves it, such as intimidating a plant to move...  or a nature check to recognise someone of your own species.

This also brings up the question of the topic let’s say my character and another in the party get into an argument.  Does the same -10 modifier apply or is it a straight roll vs there will?

Presumably the party isn't hostile with eachother.  Though it's ususally a bad idea to tell someone how their PC feels.

Just some general situations at different levels and how others might play them out would be helpful in my case to study how this all works as I am assuming these rules would apply to most other skill checks anyway.

Yes.

guides
Power
my builds

The rogue pushed his idea, trying to find a way in until he finally just used his fey step race power to get past the guards and into the room.

Just a quick comment on this.  Not sure if you knew, but your Eladrin friend must have Line of Sight to his destination.  So you can't normally go through a door.  But perhaps he able to fey step past the guards and dive through the door or something, I'm not sure.  Something to keep in mind if your rogue has a tendancy to fey step himself into trouble.
Ok few quick things as I'm on my way out the door to a final.  The builder sort of lies to you.  it lets you take the 2nd feat but the bonuses won’t show up on the final character sheet.  I sort of wish it would just hide the other intimidate feat.

Also as for the Fey step, where does it say you need line of sight.  We were kind of wondering at that at the table.  It just says teleport 5 squares.  Is this some basic rule we have over looked that concerns the teleport mechanic?

My other question is if you can’t stack feats to increase the skill check.  My only real options then are equipment and powers that provide temporary modifiers correct?    Well on top of any paragon and epic paths I choose of course.

Can you stack temporary modifiers that give bonuses to skills.  Say I have one power that gives a +5 till the end of encounter and another just for this question.  I have another power that gives me a +4.  Can i use both powers during an encounter to come out with a + 9 on top of whatever else I have?

Also I just wanted to say thank you guys for all the helpful feedback this thread has given me on this matter.  I hope to be sharing more about my character and my ideas for my upcoming campaign later on the other forums very soon and so far every post I have made has been met with such great help from the D&D community.
Ok few quick things as I'm on my way out the door to a final.  The builder sort of lies to you.  it lets you take the 2nd feat but the bonuses won’t show up on the final character sheet.  I sort of wish it would just hide the other intimidate feat.

Nothing stops you from taking both...  they just don't do anything.

Similar to carrying a +3 sword and a +4 sword.

Also as for the Fey step, where does it say you need line of sight.  We were kind of wondering at that at the table.  It just says teleport 5 squares.  Is this some basic rule we have over looked that concerns the teleport mechanic?

Yes. ALL Teleports requries line of sight.

My other question is if you can’t stack feats to increase the skill check.  My only real options then are equipment and powers that provide temporary modifiers correct?    Well on top of any paragon and epic paths I choose of course.

Can you stack temporary modifiers that give bonuses to skills.  Say I have one power that gives a +5 till the end of encounter and another just for this question.  I have another power that gives me a +4.  Can i use both powers during an encounter to come out with a + 9 on top of whatever else I have?

Generally, you can take 1 feat bonus, 1 item bonus, and 1 power bonus.  Bonuses of the same type (feat bonus + feat bonus) don't stack.

If it doesn't have a type, it stacks with everything but itself.  Untyped bonuses tend to be more conditional, rare, and limited.

guides
Power
my builds

Teleports require LoS. General rule, applies to all teleports. Unless they specifically say it doesn't, of course (Breaching Armor being one example).
I'm not sure where it is in the rules since I don't have the books in front of me, but you can look at Teleportation in the compendium glossory for all general rules that apply to teleports.
Ok great Tks for clearing all that up for me.  

Anyone got a spare vial to catch the rogues tears when I break the news he can't abuse his teleport power anymore lol?