Warlock Curse + Commander's Strike?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Say, for example, that you were a Warlock who had access to the Warlord's "Commander's Strike" power (half-elf dilittente, etc.)...

If you put your Warlock's Curse on an enemy, then did a Commander's Strike on that same enemy (your ally makes the attack)...would your ally get the extra 2d6 from the Warlock's Curse?  Would the Warlock seperately roll the 2d6?

It seems to me like your ally is making the attack, not you...so the Curse should do nothing.  Essentially, once the Commander's Strike power gives the ally an MBA, your part is over.  The ally is making the MBA as a totally separate (from the Warlock) free action.

I ask because someone told me that the Warlock was still the "cause of the attack" and that the Warlock actually used an "attack power" on the enemy, the fact that "more" happened as part of the effect was irrelevant.

Who's right? 
You are. Curse is extra damage, it cannot work when the power you used did no damage.
You are. Curse is extra damage, it cannot work when the power you used did no damage.

However, there is a paragon path which lets your allies deal your curse damage once per round as long as you did not deal it on your turn.  I forget which paragon path it is, though.  I'm sure someone else can post which one it is.  Right guys?

Guys?

To be clear, you still made an attack (just no attack roll), which negates Hidden status along with invisibility in some cases.

Here's a nuanced follow-up question.  Assuming Druid MC Shaman or hybrid, do you get the Claw Gloves bonus damage if you used Spirit's Prey (Eagle Shaman OA) or Claws of the Eagle (Eagle Shaman At-Will) while in Beast Form against enemy granting CA?  Both Attack powers are Melee Spirit 1 applicable for use in Beast Form (non-implement/weapon).  If using this Melee Spirit 1 attack power deals damage to the enemy (via successful ally hit), does the Claw Gloves Extra Damage get added to successful damaging attack from your ally?

Claw Gloves Property: "When you’re in beast form and an enemy grants combat advantage to you, your melee attacks deal 1d10 extra damage against that enemy. "

Compare to Warlock's Curse: "If you hit a cursed enemy with an attack, you deal extra damage..."

While Warlock's Curse requires you to hit to deal the extra damage, Claw Gloves adds extra damage whenever your melee attacks generate damage. You are still attacking the creature with a melee attack -- your target is still the enemy in question (see Magic Missile) -- but you're not rolling the attack roll.. your ally is, and generates the damage.  Does this work?

However, there is a paragon path which lets your allies deal your curse damage once per round as long as you did not deal it on your turn.  I forget which paragon path it is, though.  I'm sure someone else can post which one it is.  Right guys?

That must be Astral Ascendant.

" Radiant Curse (11th level): Your Warlock’s Curse deals radiant damage. You can deal your Warlock’s Curse’s extra damage to a creature affected by your Warlock’s Curse when an ally hits that creature, but still only once per round."
To be clear, you still made an attack (just no attack roll), which negates Hidden status along with invisibility in some cases.

Here's a nuanced follow-up question.  Assuming Druid MC Shaman or hybrid, do you get the Claw Gloves bonus damage if you used Spirit's Prey (Eagle Shaman OA) or Claws of the Eagle (Eagle Shaman At-Will) while in Beast Form against enemy granting CA?  Both Attack powers are Melee Spirit 1 applicable for use in Beast Form (non-implement/weapon).  If using this Melee Spirit 1 attack power deals damage to the enemy (via successful ally hit), does the Claw Gloves Extra Damage get added to successful damaging attack from your ally?

Claw Gloves Property: "When you’re in beast form and an enemy grants combat advantage to you, your melee attacks deal 1d10 extra damage against that enemy. "

Compare to Warlock's Curse: "If you hit a cursed enemy with an attack, you deal extra damage..."

While Warlock's Curse requires you to hit to deal the extra damage, Claw Gloves adds extra damage whenever your melee attacks generate damage. You are still attacking the creature with a melee attack -- your target is still the enemy in question (see Magic Missile) -- but you're not rolling the attack roll.. your ally is, and generates the damage.  Does this work?

Actually, those two powers from the Shaman target an ally, not an enemy  They allow your ally to make an attack.  The ally chooses the target of their attack.  Compare to Commander's Strike, which targets an enemy and you tell an ally within melee range of yourself (and the enemy, presumably) to make a melee basic attack against that enemy, but the *enemy* is the target of Commander's Strike, not the *ally.*
Actually, those two powers from the Shaman target an ally, not an enemy  They allow your ally to make an attack.  The ally chooses the target of their attack.  Compare to Commander's Strike, which targets an enemy and you tell an ally within melee range of yourself (and the enemy, presumably) to make a melee basic attack against that enemy, but the *enemy* is the target of Commander's Strike, not the *ally.*

"Shaman Feature Spirit's Prey
Your spirit companion lashes out at a moving foe, and an ally uses the distraction to fire on that enemy.
At-Will        Primal, Spirit
Opportunity Action      Melee spirit 1
Trigger: An enemy leaves a square adjacent to your spirit companion without shifting
Target: The triggering enemy
Effect: One ally within 10 squares of your spirit companion can make a ranged basic attack against the target as a free action with combat advantage."

"Shaman Attack 1Claws of the Eagle
Your spirit companion swoops down on your foe, causing it to neglect its defenses for a short time.
Standard Action      Melee spirit 1
Target: One creature
Effect: One ally adjacent to your spirit companion or within 3 squares of you can make a basic attack against the target. If the ally’s attack hits, the target grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn."

Looks like they target the enemy to me.    Spirit Infusion (the animist shaman At-Will) otoh clearly states "Target: one ally".

"Shaman Feature Spirit's Prey
Your spirit companion lashes out at a moving foe, and an ally uses the distraction to fire on that enemy.
Opportunity Action      Melee spirit 1
Trigger: An enemy leaves a square adjacent to your spirit companion without shifting
Target: The triggering enemy
Effect: One ally within 10 squares of your spirit companion can make a ranged basic attack against the target as a free action with combat advantage."

"Shaman Attack 1Claws of the Eagle
Your spirit companion swoops down on your foe, causing it to neglect its defenses for a short time.
Standard Action      Melee spirit 1
Target: One creature
Effect: One ally adjacent to your spirit companion or within 3 squares of you can make a basic attack against the target. If the ally’s attack hits, the target grants combat advantage until the end of your next turn."

Looks like they target the enemy to me.    Spirit Infusion (the animist shaman At-Will) otoh clearly states "Target: one ally".

Huh.  I thought Claws of the Eagle targetted the ally.  Weird.  I knew Spirit's Prey targetted the triggering enemy.  Well, that's interesting and good to know. 

Actually, doesn't Warlock's Curse say that you have to *hit* a cursed enemy?  If the attack doesn't hit (like Magic Missile) then it will not get the extra damage from the curse, either.

Actually, doesn't Warlock's Curse say that you have to *hit* a cursed enemy?  If the attack doesn't hit (like Magic Missile) then it will not get the extra damage from the curse, either.

That's correct.