Behind Her Blue Flame: A Warlock|Warlord/Flame of Hope/Warmaster

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
Warlock|Warlord/Flame of Hope/Warmaster: A Valkyria of the Battlefield

IMAGE(http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l323/ninjafrank88/Selvaria4.png)

"Hear me, loyal men of The Empire! Set your aim true as the Valkyria lance!"

Note:
This was originaly a theoretical/exploratory build aimed at generating the biggest, baddest leadstrike nova possible. If you're interesting in playing a more practical version and at lower levels, please see next post below for variants and guided level progressions.

Executive Summary
This is a build aimed at becoming a definitive example in lead-striking by combining the brokenly powerful action point feature of Flame of Hope with the full power compliment of a Warlock|Warlord, with its varied ability to create different action-type attack within the same turn, in order to provide the ultimate case demonstration in alpha-striking leader novas.

Every encounter for 5 encounters straight, we guarentee or near-guarentee initiative win, then explode the encounter by giving ourself and all allies a +8 to bonus hit for a turn. A lead-strike nova with a full compliment of free attacks and opportunity attacks follow, buffed by massive damage bonuses, which includes vulnerability 18, +Cha, +Int, and an additional +6 from Sword of Hestavar in order to completely rip a monster's face off immediately on Turn 1.

This build also has a healthy dose of control, having a Blast 5 save-ends stun available 2/day on tap, largely to deal with encounters of large numbers and to give allies the choice of having a +8 to hit any of them they choose.

While the final level 30 build is theoretical and demonstrative in nature, the build is intended to be fully playable as a primary leader starting from level 2, and really shines immediately starting at level 13. Detailed play notes are included for practical gameplay in all tiers.

Build Specs

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Selvaria Bles, level 30
Eladrin, Warlock|Warlord, Flame of Hope, Warmaster
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Star Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Hybrid Talent: Commanding Presence (Hybrid)
Twofold Pact: Sorcerer-King Pact
Commanding Presence (Hybrid): Inspiring Presence (Hybrid)
Eladrin Subrace: Sun Elf (Eladrin)
Select option: Eladrin Skill Bonuses
Select option: Wizard Implement Proficiency
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 26, Wis 14, Cha 26.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 42 Fort: 35 Reflex: 45 Will: 44
HP: 183 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +28, Bluff +34, Intimidate +34, Diplomacy +28, Arcana +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Dungeoneering +17, Endurance +16, Heal +17, History +25, Insight +17, Nature +17, Perception +17, Stealth +17, Streetwise +23, Thievery +17, Athletics +15

FEATS
Divine Secretkeeper: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Versatile Expertise
Level 2: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 4: Sword of Hestavar
Level 6: Hybrid Talent
Level 8: Skill Power
Level 10: Improved Defenses
Level 11: Divine Secretkeeper
Level 12: Twofold Pact
Level 14: Fight On
Level 16: Combat Commander
Level 18: Saving Inspiration
Level 20: Vistani Heritage
Level 21: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 22: Vistani Foresight
Level 24: Superior Initiative
Level 26: Supreme Inspiration
Level 28: Student of the Athanaeum
Level 30: Reserve Maneuver

POWERS
At-Will 1: Commander's Strike
At-Will 1: Eldritch Strike

Utility 2: Inspired Belligerence
Utility 6: Reorient the Axis
Utility 10: Instant Planning
Utility 12: Blinding Ward
Utility 16: Fail Me Not
Utility 22: Quickening Order
Utility 26: Spring the Trap
Skill Power: Stall Tactics

Encounter 13: Death from Two Sides
Encounter 17: Strand of Fate
Encounter 27: Price of Defiance
Reserve Maneuver: Touch of Command

Daily 15: War Master's Assault
Daily 25: Word of the Sorcerer-King
Daily 29: Break it Up
Daily 20: Sunburst Bulwark

ITEMS

Feyslaughter Longsword +6, Timeless Locket +6, Swordwing Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Accurate rod of Ulban +5, Bracers of Mental Migh (heroic tier), Ring of Free Time (Epic Tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Core Build Features
Party-Wide +8 to Hit on T1 EVERY Encounter:
Flame of Hope's AP feature gives you and your allies +Int untyped bonus to hit against the target of your action point attack until the start of your next turn, which is more than enough time for an explosively huge leadstrike nova cascade. We combine this with Vistani Foresight to start the day with 2 Action Points in order to go through a 5-encounter workday with a total of 4 spendable APs. On the one encounter which we do not have an AP, we use Instant Planning instead to give everyone +Cha to attack rolls instead, which has the same ability mod.

Leadstriking Powers:
Inspired Belligerence - All allies gain +8 untyped bonus to damage
Strand of Fate (E17) - inflicts Vulnerability 18/All
Warmaster's Assault (D15) - You and everyone charge or make a BA at +8 power bonus to damage and hit.
Price of Defiance (E27) - You make a hit with a big slide + immobilize, 2 allies make a hit at +8 power bonus to damage as opportunity actions.
Death from Two Sides (E13) - You make a MBA, your ally make a MBA that crits.

Initiative:
Personal Initiative: +33 (15 Level, 2 Dex, 6 Item, 8 Feat, 2 Untyped Feat)
+8 Initiative to all party members (+8 Int, Command Commander)
Auto-win initiative 2/day (Delay Tactics, Quickening Orders)

Healing/Saves:
2 Inspiring Words/Enc.
Each use targets 2 allies
Each use allows targetted allies to make a save
Daily emergency mass-heal within close burst 3

Enabling:
Reorient the Axis - all allies shift 8
Break it Up - daily stance, each ranged attack generates a free MBA
Spring the Trap - everyone gets a free standard action.

Buffing:
A bunch of things all mentioned above, plus Sword of Hestavar for +6 to all allied damage while adjacent to me.

Control:
Word of the Sorceror-King - close blast 5 save-ends Stun. Usable 2 encounters per day. Each use should be with an AP in order to maximize accuracy. On AP, allies would also get +8 to hit all enemies targetted within the attack.
Touch of Command - Dominate as a reaction. Dominate also generates 2 turns worth of OAs.

Example Nova

Daily
Minor: Activate Timeless Locket - gain Standard Action (non-attack)
Standard (Action Point): Strand of Fate - Inflict Vulnerable 18
Minor: Hand of Blight - target grants CA
Move: Inspired Belligerence: - all allies gain +8 untyped to damage
Standard: Price of Defiance - 1x attack, enemy immobilized and massive slide, 2x ally OA with +8 damage
Standard (Non-attack): Spring the Trap - You and all allies make a standard action
Standard (STT): Warmaster's Assault - you and all allies charge at +8 power bonus to hit and damage

Result: 4 attacks made personally, 6 attacks from allies (assume 4), each of which has at least +8 to hit, and a +22 damage bonus assuming Sword of Hestavar also applies. On top of that, there's also 4 additional standard actions from allies, + 1 additional standard action for an ally off-turn (Warmaster 24F).

Encounter (AP):
Standard (Action Point): Strand of Fate
Minor: Hand of Blight
Minor: Inspired Belligerence
Standard: Price of Defiance

Result: 3 attacks made personally, 2 attacks from allies, +1 additional standard action off-turn.

Notes
1. I am also completely aware of the Sidhe Lord AP loop combo. Avoided to maintain theme independence.

2. Your E27 has an incredible amount of variant availability. Insightful Assault is ever popular for obvious reasons, although I actually prefer to retrain Death from Two Sides into Hail of Steel and use it with a Bracer of Mental Might instead just to free up the E27 slot. A Plan Comes Together is also ridiculously good here. The only reason I kept Price was in order to showcase what the Warlock brings to the table - extra attacks as an Opportunity Action, which is an excellent way to bypass the once/turn free attack limitation.

Practical Play Variations

Practical Play

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Selvaria Bles, level 30
Eladrin, Warlock|Warlord, Flame of Hope, Warmaster
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid): Star Pact (Hybrid)
Eldritch Strike: Eldritch Strike Charisma
Hybrid Warlock: Hybrid Warlock Reflex
Warlord Leadership: Combat Leader (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlord: Hybrid Warlord Will
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Versatile Expertise: Versatile Expertise (Light Blade)
Arcane Implement Proficiency: Arcane Implement Proficiency (heavy blade group)
Twofold Pact: Sorcerer-King Pact
Eladrin Subrace: Sun Elf (Eladrin)
Select option: Eladrin Skill Bonuses
Select option: Wizard Implement Proficiency
Background: Auspicious Birth (Auspicious Birth Benefit)
Theme: Sidhe Lord 

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 14, Int 26, Wis 14, Cha 26.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 10, Dex 12, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 45 Fort: 41 Reflex: 48 Will: 49
HP: 183 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 45

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +28, Bluff +34, Intimidate +34, Diplomacy +28, Arcana +30

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +17, Dungeoneering +17, Endurance +16, Heal +17, History +25, Insight +17, Nature +17, Perception +17, Stealth +17, Streetwise +23, Thievery +17, Athletics +15

FEATS
Divine Secretkeeper: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Versatile Expertise
Level 2: Arcane Implement Proficiency
Level 4: Killing Curse
Level 6: Superior Reflexes
Level 8: Superior Will
Level 10: Mindbite Scorn (retrained)
Level 11: Divine Secretkeeper
Level 12: Twofold Pact
Level 14: Fight On
Level 16: Combat Commander
Level 18: Fiery Blood
Level 20: Great Fortitude
Level 21: Epic Fortitude
Level 22: Quickened Spellcasting
Level 24: Superior Initiative
Level 26: Supreme Inspiration
Level 28: Cursed Spells
Level 30: Reserve Maneuver

POWERS
At-Will 1: Commander's Strike
At-Will 1: Eldritch Strike

Utility 2: Sidhe Bargain
Utility 6: Reorient the Axis
Utility 10: Instant Planning
Utility 12: Blinding Ward
Utility 16: Fail Me Not
Utility 22: Quickening Order
Utility 26: Spring the Trap

Encounter 13: Death from Two Sides
Encounter 17: Strand of Fate
Encounter 27: Price of Defiance
Reserve Maneuver: Touch of Command

Daily 15: War Master's Assault
Daily 25: Word of the Sorcerer-King 
Daily 29: Break it Up
Daily 20: Sunburst Bulwark 

ITEMS

Weapon of Summer Longsword +6, Timeless Locket +6, Swordwing Armor of Dark Majesty +6, Accurate rod of Ulban +5, Shielding Blade Wrist Razors +1, Elven Chain Shirt (Paragon Tier), Ring of Free Time (Epic Tier), Khyber Shard of the Fiery Depth (Epic Tier), Golden Crown of Battle Command, General's Belt, Boots of Caiphon
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Highlight Metrics

Changelog:
More feats are now dedicated to DPR in order to fulfill and off-striker subrole.
This build now uses a Weapon of Summer + Fire Dragonshard + Fiery Blood for its item+typeless damage source
The ability to give +8 to hit bonuses is no longer self-generating because it was resource intensive. Sidhe Lord's AP combo is now used (requires ally cooperation) to produce a more balanced build. Instant Planning has be abandoned in favor of Tactical Orders. The Vistani Feat line is also retired.

DPR:
+37 vs AC/5d8+46 Damage (CA, tapping Vul 10 Psychic) = 48 DPR

Sample Nova Combinations:
Curse > AP Strand of Fate > Reorient the Axis > Price of Defiance 
Curse > AP Strand of Fate > Hand of Blight (Minor) > Warmaster's Assault
Curse > Move > AP Word of the Sorcerer King > Price of Defiance
AP Strand of Fate > Hand of Blight > Warmaster's Assault > Timeless Locket (Minor -> Nonattack Standard) > Spring the Trap > Price of Defiance

Heroic Tier:

Level 2 Setup
Feats:
Versatile Expertise/MC Swordmage (retrain later)

Powers:
Eldritch Strike/Direct the Strike
Vengeance is Mine
Decree of Khirad
Encouraging Boost

Notable Items: N/A
Comments:
Direct the Strike until you get viable ranged options, Encouraging Boost for your second heal. Free rein on magic items, although a vanguard weapon is kind of nice early.
Level 6 Setup
Feats: 
Versatile Expertise/AIP/Eladrin Soldier/Improved Defenses

Powers:
Vengeance is Mine/Delban's Deadly Attention
Decree of Khirad/Scent of Victory
Encouraging Boost/Mirror Darkly

Notable Items: Bracers of Mental Might
Comments: Bracers of Mental Might + Lamb to the Slaughter if you hate Scent of Victory. Your Warlock E3 is also kind of open. I default picked DDA, but any control-heavy power will do nicely.
Level 10 Setup
Feats: 
Versatile Expertise/AIP/Eladrin Soldier/Improved Defenses/Saving Inspiration/Killing Curse

Powers:
Vengeance is Mine/Powerful Warning/Touch of Command
Decree of Khirad/Deathly Conduit/Warlord's Recovery
Encouraging Boost/Mirror Darkly/Tactical Orders

Notable Items: Bracers of Mental Might
Notes: These last 2 feats are boring, but your retrains are pretty called for for a while so this takes some foresight and planning.

Your standard lazylord setup, with some added leeway due to having a function striker-level MBA, which opens up the option of Vengeance is Mine. Take Encouraging Boost as your U2 to get that second heal/enc, and grab whatever Warlock thing you like at U6. At level 7, take Touch of Command, but otherwise gravitate towards Warlord encounter powers because they're awesome, and Warlock daily powers because lazy Warlord dailies suck balls in heroic. Warlocks in heroic tier have just as much potential in encounter-decisive dailies as most wizards, and should not be taken lightly.

For theme, take Sidhe Lord by level 10.

Paragon Tier:

Level 12 Setup
Feats:
Versatile Expertise/AIP/Eladrin Soldier/Improved Defenses/Saving Inspiration/Divine Secretkeeper/Fight On/Combat Commander

Powers:
Vengeance is Mine/Powerful Warning/Touch of Command/Numinous Cascade
Decree of Khirad/Deathly Conduit/Warlord's Recovery
Sidhe Bargain/Mirror Darkly/Tactical Orders/Blinding Ward

Notable Items: Get a Weapon of Summer + Fire Dragonshard ASAP. That's your item/untyped bonus to damage.
Notes: Make full use of retrains at 11 and 12.

Level 16 Setup
Feats:
Versatile Expertise/AIP/Fiery Blood/Improved Defenses/Saving Inspiration/Divine Secretkeeper/Fight On/Combat Commander/Twofold Pact/Mindbite Scorn

Powers:
Eldritch Strike/Commander's Strike/Hand of Blight
Powerful Warning/Touch of Command/Numinous Cascade/Death from Two Sides
Decree of Khirad/Deathly Conduit/Warmaster's Assault
Sidhe Bargain/Reorient the Axis/Instant Planning/Blinding Ward/Fail Me Not

Notable Items: Circlet of Arkhosia, because you're not getting Superior Will on this build
Notes: You will be doing retraining every level.

Flame of Hope finally comes online. First, it'll be mostly used to land those decisive dailies, but once level 13 rolls around, Death From Both Sides gets center stage and stays as your centerpiece for a long time to come. You generate a crit from your striker every encounter, without a shadow of a doubt. Warmaster's Assault at level 15 is also an auto-pick, as is Strands of Fate at 17. Your nova basically writes itself at this. Still stick to Warlock dailies - you should be getting a a single target dominate at D19, which should be worth a ton of lulz. Reserve manuver away your unusable E11 as soon as you can spare the feat, which are otherwise occupied with Combat Commander and Fight On as autopicks at 11.

Epic Tier:

Level 22 Setup
Feats: 

Versatile Expertise/AIP/Fiery Blood/Improved Defenses/Saving Inspiration/Divine Secretkeeper/Fight On/Combat Commander/Twofold Pact/Mindbite Scorn/Killling Curse/Vistani Heritage/Vistani Foresight/Superior Initiative

Powers:
Powerful Warning/Numinous Cascade/Death from Two Sides/Strand of Fate
???/???/????/Warmaster's Assault
Sidhe Bargain/Reorient the Axis/Instant Planning/Blinding Ward/Fail Me Not/Quickening Order

Notable Items: Timeless Locket's initiative bonus is now substantial and you want it in preparation for your U26
Level 26 Setup
Feats: 

Versatile Expertise/AIP/Fiery Blood/Improved Defenses/Saving Inspiration/Divine Secretkeeper/Fight On/Combat Commander/Twofold Pact/Mindbite Scorn/Killling Curse/Vistani Heritage/Vistani Foresight/Superior Initiative/Quickened Spellcasting/Cursed Spells

Powers:
Numinous Cascade/Death from Two Sides/Strand of Fate/Impromptu Attack
???/???/Warmaster's Assault/Word of the Sorcerer King
Sidhe Bargain/Reorient the Axis/Instant Planning/Blinding Ward/Fail Me Not/Quickening Order/Spring the Trap

Notable Items: Keep a Rod of Ulban in your offhand to inflict Vul 10 Psychic. Grab a Ring of Free Time if you can ASAP
Notes: Spring the Trap + Timeless Locket combo now goes online and your final leadstrike nova is complete.

Yeeep. Vistani Foresight at 21. Done, the rest is literally all just gravy to make you a better leader or buff your nova.
Well...nothing to add to this. This is the finest in hybridization for Leadstrikers, folks, and I'm incredibly impressed with it. You want novas, this has novas, and it has incredibly badass novas. One of these days I need to get my D. Gray Man/Crown Clown build up - having a crit-granting striker buddy has so much synergy with it that things would get silly in an instant. I would legitimately take that party of two to trash some five-man fights. Amazing work, RenZhe!
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Thanks for the kind words, Armisael. I actually owe a lot to you and a lengthy list of charop veterans because much of this was a synthesis of the original groundwork that was laid out by other builds (Killswitch, Illusion of Hope, etc). You guys did all the hard lifting already, I just happen to plagarize a bunch of brilliant ideas.

Incidentally, this build was originally conceived when I made a boast to a group that I could play Warlock|Warlord as the party's primary controller. Throw in consideration for Flame of Hope as the premier "controller" PP, and it all went horribly wrong from there. Needless to say, this is a pretty far cry from a main controller, but I doubt anyone's going to complain. I am actually playing a low level variant in a game - this one takes Curse of the Blind Stars and throws down Blind debuffs like its going out of season. I'll be slowly but surely retraining the build into the conceptual ending work you see above, and I'll be sure to comment on how that's actually panning out.
nice build RenZhe !  I wish my dm in dark sun would allow for hybrids because i would test drive this build  I do have a few questions though.

1.  You have only one Warlock utility, how are you doing that since hybrid rules prevent that kind of selection ?  Also if you could provide a break down, just say level 1, 11, 21 and 30 ?  It would make it easier to view and understand how this build works.  I'm trying to build it from level 1 right now and I'm left wondering how you did it.

2.  You mention for people to try to take warlord encounters and warlock dailies, however the hybrid rules again kind of trump that, what dailies and encounters would you recommend from the warlock and warlord side of things ?  I referenced myself to the warlock handbook, but it's not always the same ratings for specific builds.  I was wondering what you would recommend.  I know you mentionned vengeance is mine and lazylord powers but because of hybrid, sometimes the selection is limited and I was curious.

3.  I find it interesting that the build you are currently playing is not actually what you posted here, what brought you to decide to play a variant and not the main build ?  Was it a decision based on party composition ?  Is there an importance about party composition with this build ?  Also could you post the variant just out of wonder ?  Throwing out blind seems like fun.

Thanks ^_^ 
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Did you select a Theme for this build, or is that an open category?

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
1.  You have only one Warlock utility, how are you doing that since hybrid rules prevent that kind of selection ?  Also if you could provide a break down, just say level 1, 11, 21 and 30 ?  It would make it easier to view and understand how this build works.  I'm trying to build it from level 1 right now and I'm left wondering how you did it.

Hybrid rules only require you to have at least one power of each kind from each class, so as long as he has one warlock utility, he's good.

Building this character in heroic tier, you'd have to choose a warlock utility at 2 or 6 in order to satisfy the requirements, but then when you choose Fail Me not at 16, you can retrain the earlier utility to a Warlord power.

Great build, btw. Things like this get me more interested in the leader role.
Did you select a Theme for this build, or is that an open category?

The OP states that the Templar theme is what he likes for "flavor and effectiveness" but he has left the theme open.
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

I think one of the potential issues of this build is that it cannot significantly multi-attack as part of its Action Point attack. Inflicting that kind of vulnerability is definitely great, but that seems to me to be the attack you ought to do on someone you already targeted with your regular standard power.

i.e. with the kind of vulnerability + bonus to hit/damage that you're handing out, most things will die horribly without question in a round and probably much less than that. Which means most of the time, some of your party is not going to get the benefit of +Int to hit/damage because the target is already dead.

Also, the power is relatively short range. Have the evil elite controller in back who your party is going to have difficulty getting directly to and you can't reach with your range 10 attack? There's a problem.

One of the things the Illusion of Hope does is make sure to have ranged 20 multi-attacks - Chain Lightning as an example as the 23rd level choice - when you basically attack every enemy within 20, it doesn't matter if the attack itself isn't that great. Now your party can go off on everyone. I'd at the very minimum switch over to the Acolyte of Divine Secrets - you do lose Ritual Casting, but on the other hand, you gain Hand of Radiance as an opening move. With +Int to hit, you should actually hit with it reasonably often and now your party has 3 targets to hit regardless. So when the 1st target still dies horribly due to its 10+Int vulnerability and all kinds of attacks going off against it, the other members of the party have something to hit.

And of course, you should have Sidhe Lord as your theme for the capstone. Shouldn't even be a debate. You get to steal an action point from your friends every encounter if you take the Utility 2...heck, arguably, given how valuable your action points are, you ought to steal as many action points as you can over the course of a day by that point, even out of combat when your group has time for short rests so you start every combat with at least 2 action points to spend - given the capstone ability of Warmaster is to spend as many action points as you like per encounter...
Also, I have a rough Psion|Warlord version of this build who MCs into Invoker for
Eladrin Psion|Warlord MC Invoker/Flame of Hope/Demiurge

While it isn't as directly powerful at 30th, it gains the ability to spend 2 action points at 24th. Which again with Sidhe Lord is basically every combat. And because Charisma is a secondary stat, you can start off with a 20 Int...
Pixie seems like it would be better...?

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

@Noctaem:
Yeah, that's very fair. I plan on including mid-level snapshots, most likely at 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26.

The short of it is that at level 1, you ought to take Eldritch Strike/Commander's Strike/Vengeance is Mine/Free Choice of Warlock Daily 1. There's a bunch of good Warlock dailies, all of whose ratings in the relevant handbook do apply here, though I especially like Decree of Khirad or that one that inflicts Immobilize Save Ends (those two, I consider to be encounter-decisive dailies). You're essentially a frontline lazylord with a servicable MBA, a nasty counterattack, and a control daily to win an encounter once/day.

At level 2, you pick up encouraging boost for your second heal. At level 3, Delban's Deadly Attention. Level 5, you've hopefully got Bracers of Mental Might to take a Warlord daily that doesn't suck, else you're stuck with Scent of Victory. Level 6, you retrain Encouraging Boost for Rousing Words, then free pick a Warlock 2 Utility. Level 7, Touch of Command. You retrain Delban's DA for Powerful Warning. Level 9, Warlord's Recovery, and retrain Scent of Victory into a Warlock D5 (My preference here is Deathly Conduit, but there are great picks at D1 as well). At level 10, Tactical Orders. The fact that these are all not utilities that make it to the final build are intentional - you end up doing a lot of retrains as you pick up additional capabilities over paragon and epic.

The characters I build tend to be theoretical projections of the things I play now. This build is complete the result of the hindsight of "well, I really should have just done this instead..." Let me find my original build and post it later at some point.

@TheMalteseFalchion:
Themeless, yes. I also avoided dragonmarks and other junk, for those people that care to test drive this in LFR (Can you take an SK-Pactlock into LFR?). Its good enough that people realize Sidhe Lord can potentially makes this build much better, though I'm honestly curious as to what other people can do with other themes, pre-level 30, to build on this further.

@MwaO:
The fact that I looked to Illusion of Hope as the inspiration for this build should tell you how much I respect your advice. I agree with you on all counts, though that each comes with my own comments:

As far as the personal multi-attack goes, you'll notice there isn't much on this character that actually does its own striking job. As a hybrid, the feats are completely stretched as it is, and all of the standard warlock DPR boosters (Killing Curse, Mindbite Scorn, Cursed Spells, DIS) are noticeably absent in favor of warlord feats that attempt to make it fulfill the main leader role. I do have a personal nova variant of this build, which uses a Sorrowsong Blade (damage is half-psychic, half untyped), a Rod of Ulban, and One Final Sacrifice (Warlock D29) to quad-tap vulnerability 18/All and vulnerability 10/15 Psychic with 4-5 separate damage lines, usable twice/day. The fact is, however, this build is meant to be modularized through variants. There's literally way too many directions you can take the build, and not nearly enough feat/power space to fulfill them all.

The range is something quite woeful on a warlock in general, and I'd be hard-pressed to hit beyond range 10 with any power. Having a Close Blast 5 on tap is something of a measure to relieve the targetting problem. A situational daily workaround is to drop Instant Planning to give everyone +8 to Speed for a turn, then have them all take their standard action from Spring the Trap to move/charge 14. I also contemplated Battlefront Warlord instead for a buffed Battlefront Shift, because who cares when in the initiative your allies go when you're the one directing all their attacks anyway? My play experience in epic is limited, so I haven't quite figured this out from a practical play perspective beyond this.

Having Hand of Radiance as my MC benefit is also an interesting suggestion, though possibly a retrain going into epic, where targetting capacity is truely going to make the difference. Throughout most of this character's career, you'll actually open at short range, then melee with Death from Two Sides. As someone who values D&D from all aspects of play, I also actually put a lot of stock in Ritual Caster. 

Sidhe Lord at level 30, no question. 

@Mellored:
Pixie...maybe. What advantages do they offer in particular? Some variations of the build may have a dependency on heavy blades for psychic combos, for which being a small character would hurt. The fact that I don't partake of any racial support whatsoever in this build leaves the race open to any Cha/Int variant.
@Mellored:
Pixie...maybe. What advantages do they offer in particular? Some variations of the build may have a dependency on heavy blades for psychic combos, for which being a small character would hurt. The fact that I don't partake of any racial support whatsoever in this build leaves the race open to any Cha/Int variant.

Mobility, easy to avoid OA's and grant attacks.

The ability to get more allies adjacent, 9 total instead of 8.  You can also get next to everyone in a 10' passage.

And a ally positioning utility.  Knights move, but better.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Eh, I use Knight's Move to give my ally his minor action attack instead ;)

@MwaO:
The fact that I looked to Illusion of Hope as the inspiration for this build should tell you how much I respect your advice. I agree with you on all counts, though that each comes with my own comments:

As far as the personal multi-attack goes, you'll notice there isn't much on this character that actually does its own striking job.

Thanks! I think you're doing a fine job here - I'm not so concerned about striking, but rather what ought to typically happen as a result of the nova...aka one dead enemy. Probably way before the entire party gets to go.

At that point, you want the rest of the party to have some targets. Hand of Radiance won't change what will happen with that dead enemy. He'll be dead either way, again, before the rest of the party gets to go. Plus, if you have a burster or controller in the party, they'll be really happy to get your +Int against every target...

Having Hand of Radiance as my MC benefit is also an interesting suggestion, though possibly a retrain going into epic, where targetting capacity is truely going to make the difference. Throughout most of this character's career, you'll actually open at short range, then melee with Death from Two Sides. As someone who values D&D from all aspects of play, I also actually put a lot of stock in Ritual Caster. 

Sidhe Lord at level 30, no question.

You can take both feats if you really want to - that gets you an extra useful skill+ritual casting.

Btw, is there a reason you have arcane implement proficiency? It doesn't seem as if it would do all that much for you? Also, your versatile expertise is heavy and light blades, not heavy blades and rods?

Still, i feel it's better to have a positioning tool then not.

guides
Power
my builds

Tactical Orders?
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).

Tactical Orders?

Pixie dust.

It's better to have MORE positioning tools then not. 

guides
Power
my builds

Tactical Orders?

Pixie dust.

It's better to have MORE positioning tools then not. 

But there's a point where you have too much positioning. Specifically, if your positioning lasts you past Round 1, you've got too much of it (sustained buffs don't count, I'm talking about firing off the extra mobility). Even in the worst possible cases of fight resetting you won't need more than that.
You can take both feats if you really want to - that gets you an extra useful skill+ritual casting.

Btw, is there a reason you have arcane implement proficiency? It doesn't seem as if it would do all that much for you? Also, your versatile expertise is heavy and light blades, not heavy blades and rods?

Versatile Duelist is just a stand-in for White Lotus Dueling Expertise anyway, and arcane implement proficiency: heavy blades is the gateway to using things like Githyanki Silver or Feyslaughter weapons as implements. Somewhat unnecessary given the current scope of the build, but it was originally set up for modularizing options such as Rod of Ulban (cursed enemies take vul 10 psychic) + Psychic combo, or Feyslaughter with Hand of Blight + Draji Aspirant (which as mentioned, was intentionally avoided, but noticably superior in application than even Price of Defiance, E27), or even just general purpose radiant weapon with radiant shards. At the very least, however, I would still use a Feyslaughter weapon as my primary weapliment for a nova setup combo - you don't want that elite with a teleport reaction slipping out of your nova cascade.

This build suffers from feat starvation to the point where I'd actually be hard-pressed to fit another MC feat in. Are there any feats on my list that seem otherwise unnecessary to you?

Edit: Actually, I think I know what I can do to update this build now, and will consider a revised variant tommorow. Thanks for all the advice.

@Mellored, Armisael:

Re: Positioning aids

My experience has been that the need for additional positioning is directly dependant on how grindy an encounter ends up being, ie, how much your striker sucks at doing his job. When I was still playing a charger brutal scoundrel rogue, my party's Warlord spent more time using Knight's Move to trigger my Low Slash than for anything else. Contrast vs. the time I played an Eladrin Reslord in a party with minimal striking capability, where you could have thrown in Knight's Move, Reorient the Axis, and Tactical Orders, and it still wouldn't have been enough to get the damn encounter done in less than 10 rounds. In other words, the more impactful each of your striker's actions are, the less you have to care about positioning aids and be able to take other fun powers. Having one is exceptional marginal value, two, less so, and any more than that implies that its not so much a problem with the way you built your character than it is a problem with your striker.

That said, you can't snort Tactical Orders, whereas Pixie Dust...

Drug abuse aside, this doesn't really answer the question of whether Pixie is a better race to mount this class template. The answer is a "Yes, but...", with the following explanations.

1. This is a warlock sub-build, which leaves a very strong alternative package of at-will teleportation boosting as an option for modular optimization. Eladrin would be a natural choice here.
2. This build has additional variants which take advantage of Psychic vulnerability abuse, which requires a functioning heavy blade, and thus prefers a medium-sized character.
3. An extra skill, and bonuses to Arcana and History are probably more relevant as skill bonuses to round out the out of combat utility of this character.

Regardless, the base build itself doesn't utilize any racial support, and as such, any Int/Cha race would do just fine here. So while I absolutely acknowledge your point, this is probably a case where the wrong answer would be fine too.
1. This is a warlock sub-build, which leaves a very strong alternative package of at-will teleportation boosting as an option for modular optimization. Eladrin would be a natural choice here.
2. This build has additional variants which take advantage of Psychic vulnerability abuse, which requires a functioning heavy blade, and thus prefers a medium-sized character.
3. An extra skill, and bonuses to Arcana and History are probably more relevant as skill bonuses to round out the out of combat utility of this character.

Regardless, the base build itself doesn't utilize any racial support, and as such, any Int/Cha race would do just fine here. So while I absolutely acknowledge your point, this is probably a case where the wrong answer would be fine too.

1) Seems slightly off... since if you can teleport at-will, you probably don't need to as an enconter.  Though you wouldn't need flight as much either...

2) Certainly a loss for pixies.  Though accurate daggers and nimble blade will help you land strand of fate.

3) Disagree.  Pixies effectivly gain +17 in acrobatics, and can "take 30" when jumping (80 if you double run).  Pixie Dust works out of combat just fine, for gettign your wizard on a wall.  Shrink also has lot's of uses too.  And being tiny can add to alot of out of combat creativeness.  And your diplomacy/bluff works on animals.  So unless you want arcana/history maxed (and there are certainly reasons), i feel pixies win.

Also, there's a slight issue with your nova.   Flame of Hope only gives the bonus vs the target you attack.  So while dropping strands of fate is an easy win against solos, against a group of normals, you'll be pulling alot less.

Seems to me it might be worth swaping Divine Secretkeeper for Acolyte of Divine Secrets + hand of radiance.  Now you'll give +8 to hit against 3 targets.

guides
Power
my builds

1. Teleport boosters like Eladrin Ring of Passage and Eladrin Boots benefit you more specifically for being an Eladrin (names might be off, going completely off of memory).

2. Two good feats which will never make the build to egregeous feat-starvation. Pre-errata (perhaps even post), I'd have just used a dice of auspicious fortune to make the hit happen. Anything higher than a 1 will do.

3. Fair point. We'll just chalk that up to blatant racism on my part.

3.5 Actually...I know I was trying for theme independence here, but Eladrin can access Illyabruen Guardian, which literally is better than having Tactical Orders as a racial power.

4. Agreed, and actually MwaO already pointed this out. I'm currently attempting/have attempted a workaround for that. The only real issue is that I'm burning a standard action to use Hand of Radiance, meaning something in the nova sequence has got to give. A possible alternative I'm currently playing around with is the following:

1. (AP) Standard: Hand of Radiance
2. Minor: Hand of Blight + Balican Praetor (Inflicts Vulnerable 8/7/6/5/~, downgrades per attack)
3. Minor: Rod of the Office to recover Fell Might
4. Minor: Timeless Locket
5. (Non-Attack) Standard: Spring the Trap
6. Standard: Price of Defiance
7. (STT) Standard: Warmaster's Assault

Resolve any positioning issues prior to battle with Battlefront Shift + Shift the Battlefield (everyone shift their speed - effective range of attack becomes 16). We lose out on 10+ points of vulnerability and +8 to damage from Inspired Belligerence, but gain +8 to hit vs 3 additional targets.

I do want to point out though, that even giving out +8 attack bonuses to your primary target, much less 3 other secondary targets, is far and away outside the scope of most leadstrike novas. Ah, first world problems.
Just wanted to point a little something out: While this build is probably really tempted by a Golden Crown of Battle Command for its head slot, it has a really ridiculous trick up its sleeve with a...think the name if Helm of Heroes, which lets you transform a granted basic into a standard action. If you really want to squeeze damage out of a nova, take that, combine with Death From Two Sides, watch as your buddy scores two to five crits, and laugh as everything from a Tarrasque to Tiamat goes boom to a single power.
Surprised

Hurricane of Blades Barbarian with a Rending Executioner's Axe. I think my knees just gave out from how much pure win this is.

Edit: And its only a Lv 10 Item! Do you realize you could start a DfTS + Rending Axe Storm combo immediately at level 13?
I'd apply the critical on the first hit (similar with applying a Resourceful Warlord's damage on the first hit as well). If finding broken item combinations is your thing, play a revenant with a belt.
RenZhe, your Eyes on Target build had the MC Assassin and Cruel Shroud for CA.  Am I missing it, or is this build lacking a way to get perma-CA?
RenZhe, your Eyes on Target build had the MC Assassin and Cruel Shroud for CA.  Am I missing it, or is this build lacking a way to get perma-CA?

You're correct, this build lacks perma-CA resources (to the point where Sword of Hestavar could be a test feat that does not make the final cut - not sure yet). This build doesn't really care about CA because its already giving itself and every ally a +8 bonus to hit, and aims to blow up an encounter past the point of decisive victory immediately in the first round. For what it's worth, the minor action Hand of Blight (on hit: target grants unconditional CA to everyone) is what generates CA for Sword of Hestavar, and is second thing I ever do in any nova sequence.
I'd apply the critical on the first hit (similar with applying a Resourceful Warlord's damage on the first hit as well). If finding broken item combinations is your thing, play a revenant with a belt.

Difference between this and Revenants: One's broken, abusive, unfun, and a way to win the game without even trying. The other one is an item daily power being as strong as it should be.

Difference between this and Revenants: One's broken, abusive, unfun, and a way to win the game without even trying. The other one is an item daily power being as strong as it should be.

I agree that items powers generally are lackluster. But auto-critting all hits from a hurricane of blades plus granting a whole slew of extra attacks from rending (or? do you only get one? it doesn't say "free action" anywhere) will one shot anything at that level. I think this is quite a bit above even where item dailies "should" be. 

I agree that items powers generally are lackluster. But auto-critting all hits from a hurricane of blades plus granting a whole slew of extra attacks from rending (or? do you only get one? it doesn't say "free action" anywhere) will one shot anything at that level. I think this is quite a bit above even where item dailies "should" be. 

That's all on rending being utterly idiotic, though - absolutely none of the blame should be placed on the Helm of Heroes.
On that note, I regularly take revenant builds into Lair Assaults - my last run in Talon of Umberlee ended with the BBEG hitting me for 53 damage, instantly dropping me below negative, but between Belt of Solinnor's Daily + Stormhawk's Vengeance, the guy promptly took a backlash of 63 damage, dropping him instantly as well.

Revenants can be fun if you stick to play in Heroic, and especially in Lair Assault, where things hit stupidly hard.
If multi-target hits are an issue, there is a Warlock D5 (forget the real name - Raging Storm of Cania? - I re-fluffed it Gravitic Surge for my Star'Lock).  This is a blast 5 that pulls, prones (also knocks fliers out of the air) and slides hit-or-miss.  I use it in a vertical plane to put fliers where my melee-loving friends can reach them.  In your case, move into the middle of a group and fill the room with that +8 to-hit bonus.  Move whoever you need wherever you need for Round 2.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Thread necro.

I do like this build a lot, but I'm wondering why it would take Price of Defiance over A Plan Comes Together. 

If you go the Hand of Radiance route, after the first monster has his face melted off via Strands of Fate and at least one of your party members has engaged one of the other two HoR targets, you are neatly rewarded with this guaranteed-to-trigger, two extra out of turn attacks with AP bonus included, granting a veritably guaranteed daze + prone with two allies adjacent to continue focus fire (with one of them repositioned for free), and thats if the attacks don't finish off the target all together.  And it doesn't even cost you your immediate, it's free.

Price of Defiance is a very nice power, especially if you can get it off with the kicker, but A Plan Comes Together just seems all around better for this build.  EDIT: One monster dead, a second most likely dead before he gets a real turn.   Then you're free to use Death From Two Sides on turn two and you may not need to make plans for a turn three.

Then again, I am by no means even close to having a mastery of the system.
Gah, I really need to update this build.

But ok, the reason I actually took Defiance over A Plan is because the build was because I originally thought to stack a set of OA-type attacks on top of free action attacks in order to squeeze the most of a warlord nova cascade (keep in mind, the original thought exercise was to generate something like 15+ party-wide attacks on-turn). Defiance is also completely positioning-neutral, since you could just yank a guy out of formation and slide him around while your party beats on him like a ragdoll, and is especially useful to open with if all of your targets are just shy of range, or you're dealing with flyers, etc. Or just imagine shenanigans such as if your Wizard open an encounter with Arcane Gate, and you just yank the dude through with Price of Defiance right onto your allies.

--That reminds me, I actually need to drop Fail Me Not in favor of Bridge of Shades, the warlock mini-version of Arcane Gate.

You're right in that A Plan is probably the better power, I just think Defiance has some more interesting utility uses...and is more stylish to use.

I'm not 100% sold on the Hand of Radiance route. A standard action to give everyone +Int to hit still seems kind of wasteful. I think the early prototype I'm playtesting actually usually ends up opening with a wide area Warlock daily (currently favoring something like Roaring Storm of Cania) before going into DFTS.
Sorry for a bit of necroposting. I recently reread this thread in search of good powers for an eternal seeker character, and I read here that the warlock power, touch of command, generates two turns, instead of one, worth of opportunity attacks. How does this work? Unless I miss something, I can only see it granting one turn of OA's. 

It is a reaction to an enemy attacking you, meaning that if you hit the target, it is then dominated until the end of it's next turn. However, it has already acted, possibly with both a standard and a move action, and a dominated target can only take 1 action on each of it's turns, chosen by the dominator. Wouldn't this would imply that it's current turn would end immediately? Is the second turn worth of oa's assuming that the attacker still has a move action and that you can make him run away immediately?

You are correct about the enemy possiblly having moved on it's turn.  That's why you set up the power on your own turn by moving next to the enemy you plan on dominating (after you attack if you're normally ranged.)  Then the enemy has to burn a shift not to end up adjacent to you at the end of his own turn.  It's pretty meta-gamey if the DM has the enemy move after attacking you unless that specific enemy has heard of/fought you before, which is pretty unlikely. 

Normally an enemy is gonna want to sit right next to the "ranged" strikers to discourage it's more powerful ranged attacks.  This makes him a prime target for Touch of Command/Unwilling Betrayal.

So: TL;DR  --  Move adjacent on your turn.  If your enemy is tactically minded at all, it'll stick around to pummel you on it's own turn without having to expend much effort.  Use power.  Win.
You are correct about the enemy possiblly having moved on it's turn.  That's why you set up the power on your own turn by moving next to the enemy you plan on dominating (after you attack if you're normally ranged.)  Then the enemy has to burn a shift not to end up adjacent to you at the end of his own turn.  It's pretty meta-gamey if the DM has the enemy move after attacking you unless that specific enemy has heard of/fought you before, which is pretty unlikely. 

Normally an enemy is gonna want to sit right next to the "ranged" strikers to discourage it's more powerful ranged attacks.  This makes him a prime target for Touch of Command/Unwilling Betrayal.

So: TL;DR  --  Move adjacent on your turn.  If your enemy is tactically minded at all, it'll stick around to pummel you on it's own turn without having to expend much effort.  Use power.  Win.

Ah, that makes sense; thanks for answering. Shifting after or before attacking is a fairly basic tactic provided the monster has either each or a ranged attack of itself, which would be every mob and its mother in epic tier, but the potential seems so huge that I think I'll give it a try once.

Would the Helm of Heroes + Death From Two Sides trick, that was mentioned on page 3, even work on every swing of a multiattack?
I'm not really sure, since the wording "attack" normally means one certain swing of a multiattack power. In this case though, it's a bit different, since the helm lets you substitute a BA with a standard.  So this standard in its entirety should be the "attack", mentioned in DFTS' description.
So, what's correct now?
*push*

An idea, anyone? 
No clue. I think the very idea of the standard action generating any criticals in the first place was under dispute in another thread.
For those of you, that were wondering, as well: I was informed in IRC that they indeed work together, so all swings of a multiattack would crit.