Looking to make a striker but with restrictions :(

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
So this is my first 4th edition campaign I'm going to be playing in. My DM has quite a few restrictions which is making it difficult for me to build a character and I'd appreciate some advice from the board. My group currently has no strikers and there are currently 5, maybe 6 other people playing in it. The group has 2 defenders, 2 controllers and 1 leader and potentially 1 more defender so the groups damage output is relatively low. So I'd like to make a striker for the group also this group is pretty optimized but the DM has set restrictions. No dragon magizine content, nothing from eberron or forgotten realms. I can use anything else except those i was looking at making a doppleganger from the monster manual. I know they changed them to changelings in eberron but my DM says i can use the doppleganger from the monster manual. Also we have a stat array of 16,16,14,13,12,8. Our dm doesn't like people having starting stats of 20. Also we are starting at 1 then time dropping at level 4 and then continuing at level 11. It can be a glass cannon i don't mind(prefer ranged class, also hybrids look really cool). Thank you for any advice.
Wow, no Eberron, no Dragon Magazines, no Forgotten Realms and a given stat array? I wouldn't want to play there lol.

Anyways, do you know the other classes? So we know about potential synergies and so on.
Hard to go wrong with a Ranger.
Yeah but its the dm i've run with for years now so I'd figure i'd give it a try. We have a paladin, warlord, wizardx2 and warden. So they don't have much damage out put the warden did the most damage from what the dm told when i talked to him. So he said that they really need a striker otherwise it's gonna take them for ever to do encounters.
Warlock|Executioner Hybrid. You get to add curse damage AND attack finesse when using Eldritch Strike.

Or a ranger. It's hard to go wrond with a ranger.  
Warlock|Executioner Hybrid. You get to add curse damage AND attack finesse when using Eldritch Strike.

Or a ranger. It's hard to go wrond with a ranger.  

How are you planning to make a hybrid executioner without Dragon content again?

To the OP: for a solid striker that likes the 16/16/14 array, you'll be wanting someone very accurate, strong secondary or dual primary.  To me, that probably points to Warlock, but there's probably some mileage in Avenger (albeit, much of their best support is Dragon-based) - but I'd also have a good word with your DM and figure out why he's being so unnecessarily restrictive.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
An Avenger might be nice - the unity avenger encourages you to pull the enemy into the middle of your friends; with all those Defenders they can gang up on him.  Avengers are high-accuracy but lower-damage, though.

You really need some ranged damage-dealing.  An archer ranger or dagger-throwing rogue (neither of which have I played) probably can be DPR'ed the most.  I've played with a ranger with a Stance that basically said 'I can shoot at anybody who gets near me'; stand in a roadblock behind one of those defenders and let the bad guys mill around just out of his reach but not yours.

I play a warlock and like it (usually) but all my actions are spoken for and I don't get any off-turn attacks, so it may be slow play with a large group - you have to wait a lot while everybody else takes their turn.

Can you talk the warlord into a lazy build?  He can tell Team Hero to whack bad guys instead of doing it himself.  Direct the Strike allows him to call in your ranged basic attack (Eldritch Blast, say, or archer with d12 Greatbow) when all the defenders are away from an enemy.  Warlords are also good off-tanks if the real defenders are unavailable

Come to think of it, warlords and barbarians team up really well.  But your party may be TOO melee-heavy then and one of your Wizards will have to do damage to compensate.  Or summon nasty things into the enemy's back row.

You and your team need to coordinate a bit - Agile Opportunist feat plus lots of push/pull/slide powers (Opening Shove?) means you can whack a guy and shove him next to your friend, who gets to whack him too.  Ping-pong style.  Nobody is going to make Team Monster evaporate, but you all get to kick him when he's down and it adds up.

Work with the Controllers so they do different things.  Somebody should be a movement-messer and the other a condition-dealer.  It's hard for Monster A to contribute when he is slowed and dazed and on the far side of the map.  I have a druid who works to keep enemies in one place so the rest of the group can beat on them; sometimes it works but usually the enemy is too busy to bother me; for Controllers this is a good thing.

If you can persuade the Warden to become an infinite supply of hit points, he can be tasked with bodyguarding the Wizards; this opens the Paladin backed by the warlord to form an aggressive battle line.

Best complements I have yet received:

Show

Making it up as I go along:

{BRJN} If I was writing the Tome of Lore, I would let Auppenser sleep. But I also would have him dream. In his dreaming he re-activates the innate powers of (some) mortal minds. Or his dreaming changes the nature of reality - currently very malleable thanks to Spellplague &c. Or whatever really cool flavor text and pseudo-science explanation people react positively to.

{Lord_Karsus} You know, I like that better than the explanations for the Spellplague.

Prepped ahead of time:

I started the thread "1001 Failed Interrogation Results" (which seems to have faded into that great electronic goodnight, alas)

{ADHadh} These are all good and make sense! I just can't come up with something that's not covered here and is not completely ridiculous.

My 4e characters:

Show

Active:

LFR Half-elf StarLock8 Gondolin Nightstar

AoA Dwarf Guardian Druid8 Narvik from House Wavir

Character Ready-to-go:

Neverwinter Dwarven Invoker / Heir of Delzoun, worships Silvanus (!) "Truenamer" - speaks Words of Creation

Concepts I'm kicking around:

"Buggy" Wizard - insect flavor on everything.  His DMPC version is going to become a Lamia.  Becauae lichdom is so cliche.

Halfling Tempest Fighter - just because nobody else is doing it

Shifter Beast-o-phile Druid - for Nentir Vale campaign

Avenger or Ranger, hands down.

Ranger is the easiest to go with, does solid DPR and has AWESOME nova potential without having to resort to the usual charge/KAM package.
Half-Orc TW Ranger (e.g. Stormwarden) or Elf Archer Ranger. Easy to build, easy to optimize, good results.
Given the lack of Dragon Magazine (and thus no Painful Oath, no Avenging Resolution/Valenar Weapon Training, no Githzerai Blademaster, and no Guardian/Kensei) and the hit to implement users due to no dragonshards, I'd say Elf Archer Ranger is the best bet.

t~
Rogue is one of the best classes supported outside of Dragon. Make a Brutal Scoundrel charger rogue (the only thing Dragon provides of relevance for this class is Tumbling Strike at E17). Congrats, now you don't even need to choose your powers.
Elf Archer Ranger.  Twin-Strike, Disruptive Strike, and Attacks on the Run are all in the PHB. 

edit:  Invigorating Stride is MP2, so you can be a bit self sufficient.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

One of the things I totally forgot to think about: Slayers are pretty good with that array.  Half-orc, fullblade to keep +3 prof or gouge for the bigger dice.  Make up for the starting 18 with the slayer's built-in +1 to hit.  Secondary stat to damage and probably to AC since Hide+18 dex = scale, without the speed penalty.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I'd have to agree with those saying rogue or ranger. They're both quite good with just PHB and MP support.  Avengers and Warlocks are nice, but both get substabtial upgrades through Dragon. Without those - not so competitive. Only downside to ranger is that it can be kind of boring IMO.
Not advice I generally give, but looking at party make-up and restrictions I'd suggest a Storm Sorcerer. 

Let the two Wizards clump everything up and nuke the encounters down together - and Sorcerers aren't really affected by no access to later support, as they never got much love there anyway.
You and your team need to coordinate a bit - Agile Opportunist feat plus lots of push/pull/slide powers (Opening Shove?) means you can whack a guy and shove him next to your friend, who gets to whack him too.

Nope, that isn't what Agile Opportunist does. It lets the character do an OA when he is moved adjacent to an enemy. Your melee types take that Paragon feat when your controllers and leaders will be sliding *them* - not the enemy - around a lot.

Forced movement of enemies goes well with the establishment of damaging zones, although most such zones have been updated to say that a creature takes damage from them only once a turn. (So you can't use forced movement to move the creature in and out of the zone repeatedly, and damage him each time he enters it, during a single turn. But you can move him in and out, and then your ally can move him in and out, and then your other ally...)

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
Sapphire - Swormage Dragon Guardian - Dont touch my allies build. Swordmage / Sigil Carver / Draconic incarnation The Holy Slayer - A Striker - Defender Fighter | Cleric / Barbarian - Paragon of Victory WEREBEAR BATTLEMIND: You wont go where you want. - A Battlemind (Druid) / Unbound Nomad / Topaz Crusader
One of the things I totally forgot to think about: Slayers are pretty good with that array.  Half-orc, fullblade to keep +3 prof or gouge for the bigger dice.  Make up for the starting 18 with the slayer's built-in +1 to hit.  Secondary stat to damage and probably to AC since Hide+18 dex = scale, without the speed penalty.

It takes a certain type of person to play a Slayer, someone who can amuse himself with roleplay to refluff the fact that he's doing the exact same thing turn after turn. 

Hell, let's not beat around the bush here, eh? They're boring, unless you're doing something particular with them such as a Cleave + Deft Hurler charger (someone here built something like that recently, as I recall). With the restrictions OP has noted, the class and playstyle options are fairly limited (chargers, multi-attack rangers), and it really pays to consider which class has the most fun playstyle, because the mechanics are mostly a wash otherwise.
Ranger or barbarian, both have plenty of support with core/MP/PP books, though personally I'd throw my hat in the ring for the greatbow ranger.  Modify a LDB build called Shoot to Thrill to taste.
I shall throw my lot in with those who suggest Elf Ranged Ranger. 18dex 18wis not as good as going 20dex but whaddyagunnado. I personally like Drow over Elf despite the racial power disparity, but I guess thats not an option either way.

I'm always somewhat offended by these kinds of requests. Not at the requester, but at the DM that forces it. If I was more irate I would attempt to come up with something gamebreaking using the listed materials just to pester the DM. Is it because he doesn't have access to other materials? If so, does he not have access to errata? Because there is some pre-errata stuff that is b-a-n-a-n-a-s within those guidlines.

It takes a certain type of person to play a Slayer, someone who can amuse himself with roleplay to refluff the fact that he's doing the exact same thing turn after turn. 

Hell, let's not beat around the bush here, eh? They're boring, unless you're doing something particular with them such as a Cleave + Deft Hurler charger (someone here built something like that recently, as I recall). With the restrictions OP has noted, the class and playstyle options are fairly limited (chargers, multi-attack rangers), and it really pays to consider which class has the most fun playstyle, because the mechanics are mostly a wash otherwise.

You say boring, I say quick to play, and effective to boot, particularly given the restrictions.

But then, we don't get through a vast amount of in-combat RP in our group.  Most of our RP is out-of-combat, where they're only as limited as your RP abilities.
I don't see why everyone is so irate with a DM acting within his rights to limit the available content for character creation. Is it just from a CharOp standpoint or what?
Personally, I have nothing against the Content limitations; at the very least, it forces players to use things they might not otherwise look at. That encourages players to try new things.

That being said, I'm not seeing the need to restrict Arrays. I'm not seeing any reason for that.
It's not uncommmon to have restrictions, such as dark sun only or no dragonmarks. It's the other restrictions that are annoying, such as the stat array.
Fixed stat arrays are annoying since some classes will be much better with it than others so it is not a "fair" restriction.  For instance if you have it so you must put a 20 in a stat that hurts some classes since they really want more broad ability scores and others like wizards want max in their favored score.
I don't see why everyone is so irate with a DM acting within his rights to limit the available content for character creation. Is it just from a CharOp standpoint or what?

With 4E they fixed a lot underpowered classes via dragon material.  People have mentioned warlocks and avengers, which fall far behind other strikers at higher levels if dragon material is not allowed.  Templar clerics are much, much harder to build without dragon support.  And for classes like runepriest, seeker, and artificer the little support they have gotten since their book was published is in dragon, while most other classes have multiple books to get support from.  The vast majority of the broken overpowered stuff in 4E has been in a book, not dragon. 

I am not bothered by banning setting specific stuff or DMs limiting other things for setting reasons, but a lot of classes need dragon to function properly.

To the OP I say go for something like a barbarian.  They need a high stat array like what you got and are a fun and effective striker.