Ranged weapon AoO

On page 158 of revised core rulebook says that using a ranged weapon that requires two hands to operate can provoke an attack of opportunity. This is probably a nubish question but can anyone clarify this for me. When does this AoO occur? Thank you!
I think it's up to GM interpretation.  I have always ruled that AoOs interrupt an action but do not disrupt it unless said otherwise (like AoO provoked by movement and the Stand Still feat (opponent stops moving if hit with AoO)).  The d20srd helps clarify by stating that if an AoO is provoked, it is resolved immediately.

So a guy goes to fire a blaster cannon at his foe who is next to him (foe has a lightsaber), foe make attack, and guy finishes his.  Now the tricky part is, "What if the guy dies?"  Then I'd rule that the two attacks were simultanous.

Hope that helps.
Winner of the You Make the... Contest #9: Jedi Padawans Winner of the You Build the Character#33:  EU Bounty Hunters Winner of the You Build the Character #37:  The Empire Strikes Back Winner of the "Ultimate Dream Builds #1: The Underworld" I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Ok I get the picture. Do you perhaps know where in the revised core book this is mentioned (using ranged weapon in melee), besides the page I've found out. I have a player that needs to have everything black on white...
I think you found the only page that really addresses it.  Otherwise, just show your player the SRD and let him know that is what you are doing for AoOs.
Winner of the You Make the... Contest #9: Jedi Padawans Winner of the You Build the Character#33:  EU Bounty Hunters Winner of the You Build the Character #37:  The Empire Strikes Back Winner of the "Ultimate Dream Builds #1: The Underworld" I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
On page 158 of revised core rulebook says that using a ranged weapon that requires two hands to operate can provoke an attack of opportunity. This is probably a nubish question but can anyone clarify this for me. When does this AoO occur? Thank you!

Ops.  Almost answered to question following the SW SAGA Edition rules.  In the SECR AoO triggers can be found on page 156 but firing a two-handed ranged weapon is not one of them.  Now I houserule that AoO trigger back in and houserule out some of the things that can be used to make AoOs but still.  A "nubish question" regarding the RCR is a little misleading because much of that system is updated and/or packed away.

An AoO will happen before the event that triggers it is complete.  If someone leaves a threatened square and threaten an AoO you get to make that attack before the movement actually takes place.  If shooting a weapon will provoke then you can make the AoO before that attack goes off.  Just because an AoO hits that will not automatically prevent the triggering action from happening (you hit him but he still moves) but some result other then damage COULD disrupt the action.  With the AoO for moving if I just damage the target it could still move but if I use my attack to trip (which may also provoke an AoO0 and am successful the target will be prone and unable to perform his action.

Sign In to post comments