should I... aquatic elf

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been wanting to combine the watershaper theme with elf or eladrin and make myself an aquatic elf but I cant decide on a class. Originally my instinct told me to use a spiritbond seeker and blow my first feat on trident prof. but it feels like the weaker of the two builds not to mention the seeker's general lack of support has me a bit stymied. Then I was thinking warpriest of corelon  but in this case spending a feat on trident just seemed like a waste since the bow is so much better and free for elves. I just can't bring myself to wasting a feat to lessen my characters potential. I wana use a trident somehow to strengthen the aquatic fluff but I can't seem to find a nice elfy class that can use one. Maybe an avenger is a good match? I'd like to hear ideas from other players.
Perhaps swordmage, and talk your DM into letting everything sword-related instead be trident-related. If I were your DM, I would allow it to build on the theme. The other way to accomplish this is reflavor instead of mechanics permission. Just *say* that your sword is a trident, but keep everything mechanically a sword. (Yes, you lose the reach).
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Trident doesn't have reach anyway, being a 1h weapon.  In fact it is exactly the same as a longsword, it just trades +1 to hit for heavy thrown 3/6 (well, and spear vs heavy blade). 
Ours is a world where people don't know what they want, and are willing to go through hell to get it. -Don Marquis
Trident doesn't have reach anyway, being a 1h weapon.

Doh! Good catch. Even easier to talk the DM into!

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
why not combine waterseeker with ELADRIN for an aquatic elf, then take Eladrin weapon training for proficiency and +2 damage with longswords and SPEARS including the ever-powerful greatspear.

Spear is still fairly iconic for underwater races, second only to tridents ofc.  You could consider using the beastmaster ranger setup.  Yes the beastmaster isn't very powerful, but it does allow you to choose an animal that can reinforce your theme (lizard -> alligator?) and you give up very little compared to the marauder/hunter ranger which supports the 2h weapon setup.

If you go Eladrin Beastmaster and Tubaman said, the Beast Rider Feat (in DM384) with a spear would let you be a alligator mounting striker, charging from or in the water, for exemple ... :D
why not combine waterseeker with ELADRIN for an aquatic elf, then take Eladrin weapon training for proficiency and +2 damage with longswords and SPEARS including the ever-powerful greatspear.

Spear is still fairly iconic for underwater races, second only to tridents ofc.  You could consider using the beastmaster ranger setup.  Yes the beastmaster isn't very powerful, but it does allow you to choose an animal that can reinforce your theme (lizard -> alligator?) and you give up very little compared to the marauder/hunter ranger which supports the 2h weapon setup.

Tridents are only military one-handed, so you might not need a feat. A Beastmaster ranger would get tridents for free.

I've been playing a sahuagin fighter, and we ruled sahuagin get tridents for free.

I started off with a trident and a net as a tempest fighter, and played from 1-9. The trident worked for me for 9 levels, but I got it without the feat tax.

I couldn't enforce without being next to enemies, however, so the heavy thrown feature of the weapon wasn't very useful for me. I changed to the great weapon fighter at 10, at the suggestion of one of the other players who is better at making optimized characters. I went with the greatspear instead for the reach, the damage, the to hit, and we've just rp'd it as a "great trident." Even though I almost never used the heavy thrown feature, I picked up the Hungry Spear Greatspear. Hungry Spear can be applied to any spear (so you can get it as a trident too), and it has better range than a normal trident anyway.

Hungry Spear

If you're not going to utilise the heavy thrown, you may not want to pick the trident. Multiclassing net is an option, depending on what class you end up with, because it slows on a hit and nets are underwater weapons. It's only a +2 prof with 1d6 damage though, so you really only want to use it if the slow is important to you.