raven queen and ressurect dead ritual

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Got a question peeps.

We all now the raven queen and her standing on necromancy.
It got me wondering, since raise dead ritual is a kind of necromancy.
What is the raven queen's standing on the raise dead ritual player can use?
Wouldn't players be stopped by clerics/priest of the raven queen when trying to use it?

What do you think?

As a reminder:
Commands of the Raven queen: 

Hold no pity for those who suffer

and die, for death is the natural

end of life.

Bring down the proud who try to

cast off the chains of fate. As the instrument

of the Raven Queen, you must punish

hubris where you find it.

Watch for the cults of Orcus and stamp them out

whenever they arise. The Demon Prince of the

Undead seeks to claim the Raven Queen’s throne.

"Into the heart of battle, I shall walk In the eye of the storm, I will stand Onto the end of the earth, I shall hunt In defence of others, I shall fight For honour and glory, I will live And for justice, I would die"
Well, first, the clerics or whatever of the Raven Queen would have to be around.

But I've always figured the raise dead ritual involves a plea to the raven queen to bring back the poor soul. I'm pretty sure the ritual states that a god can stop it from happening, so if it works it means the RQ is cool with it.

You could make it so you have to bargain with the RQ in order for the ritual to succeed though.      
Got a question peeps.

We all now the raven queen and her standing on necromancy.
It got me wondering, since raise dead ritual is a kind of necromancy.
What is the raven queen's standing on the raise dead ritual player can use?
Wouldn't players be stopped by clerics/priest of the raven queen when trying to use it?

What do you think? 

I think that could make an interesting twist to a story, but it's also plausible that Raise Dead is only ever successful because the Raven Queen has allowed it.

Note that "the gods can intervene to prevent a soul from journeying back to the realm of the living" so if she really had a problem with it, she'd do something about it.

Also, there's no reason to consider Raise Dead "necromancy." It's listed as "restoration."

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Raise Dead doesn't technically violate the Raven Queen's precepts, because the creature will still die of natural causes at the end of their alloted lifespan. So, death is still the end, and the chains of fate still bind.

Of course, that doesn't mean the Raven Queen has to be happy about it.
The Raven Queen's edicts are directed at those who attempt to escape fate, which in most cases means their natural death, but can also mean their unnatural death at the proper time. In the case of Raise Dead, the individual involved still has some unfulfilled destiny - it doesn't work otherwise. As such, she doesn't have any inherent problem with it.

Likewise, the Raven Queen doesn't automatically condemn all necromancy or even all undead. Her edicts are directed against those who use such to try to escape fate - liches and other intelligent undead who wish to defy their mortality.
I was always of the mind set that Raise Dead works less like taking the soul back than to just kick-starting the heart back up while the brain is still active. Kind of like a magical defibrillator or the like. The penalties included are due to the bodily shock of the near death experience.
I was always of the mind set that Raise Dead works less like taking the soul back than to just kick-starting the heart back up while the brain is still active. Kind of like a magical defibrillator or the like. The penalties included are due to the bodily shock of the near death experience.

Yeah, that's a cool way to flavor it. You can also think of it like in Conan The Barbarian: he's only mostly dead, and the ritual holds off passage to the Other Side long enough for the character to start coming back.

If I have to ask the GM for it, then I don't want it.

Of course, since the Raven Queen generally doesn't interact directly with her worshippers, you could have a rogue sect of Paladins and Avangers dedicated to the Raven Queen who hunt down anyone who has been resurrected by Raise Dead, seeing them as abominations similar to the Undead.
i'd love to use raise dead as a plot device...

what if the dead character, during their brief near-death experience, is given a task as a conditioning for being raised from the dead?  If this were a more directed campaign, it might be a way to get a disheartened party back into the swing of things, or undo a dead-end, or give players who are stumped an idea.  If it were a more sandbox style game, the task could be a complication to the current quest, an extra quest (making the party choose to abandon or delay one or the other), or even a task at odds with the current quest.  The task could be overt or secret, the task could have conditions (like completing in X amount of time or dying again, or being hunted by the raven queen (making an enemy)) or guidelines.

after all, if raise dead can be stopped by the gods, it only stands to reason that every now and then the gods would stop the ritual UNLESS you do 'em a favor.   

having the dead character come back with sudden knowledge of a task would be cool.  Having the dead character call the task to the rest of the party in an otherwordly voice would be even cooler, especially if it happened right before being resurrected, thus the speaking character has no idea what happened upon their resurrection!

damn me and my imagination...   
Sign In to post comments