NEXT TIME GADGET, an essay about mining D&D for story

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wrote this thing and wanted to share it with you guys:

NEXT TIME GADGET

It's about finding the cool story points inside D&D.
Thanks for posting this, it was definitely an interesting read.

Would you mind explaining a bit more about why you don't like investigation adventures and what you would do to avoid or replace them?
I like the post, but disagree, strongly, about your take on the necessity of DDI. And this is coming from a DM that rarely runs monsters straight from the books.
I didn't read it all, but I agree with the Game/Fiction Interplay section. If 4E had given more advice along those lines, I think people might have liked it more. I do a lot of that, but I had to figure it out on my own.

[N]o difference is less easily overcome than the difference of opinion about semi-abstract questions. - L. Tolstoy

Thanks for posting this, it was definitely an intresting read.

Would you mind explaining a bit more about why you don't like investigation adventures and what you would do to avoid or replace them?

Hi AdenB--

I'm not a big fan of investigation scenarios because they're more about discovering the DM's prewritten story and less about the players and DM creating their own story at the table.  I think the focus of a D&D game should be on the PCs in the present, instead of on NPCs in the past.

To avoid investigation adventures, I set up quests where the goal is for the adventurers do something -- loot a dungeon, defend the city, slay an enemy, establish a fortress.  And I try not to create quests where the goal is to learn the truth of something.

Thanks for reading!