Sphinx control Uw

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am the first to admit that I am still working on my deckbuilding skills and a Blue control type seems to be one that I have the hardest time with! I like the idea of Sphinx's and their all knowing mystic type, so I thought that they would be fun and flavorful for a blue control. Plus it would give me a control deck that I could test my other decks against! I figured if I splash another color if should be white because sphinx's seem more white then black, although cards like duress  could be useful but alas I choose white for flavor.

Creatures - 15
4x delver of secrets  this seems to be the best early drop for some aggro while you build your strategy
2x augury owl  not sure of this, maybe meddling mage  here instead?
4x wall of denial  buys time and tough to remove
2x conundrum sphinx  seems to be the best power to mana ratio with cool ability
2x sphinx of jwar isle  the perfect beater
1x sphinx of magosi  seemed to cool to not include

Enchantments - 1
1x leyline of anticipation

Instants - 14
3x mana leak
2x hindering light
2x negate
2x redirect
3x vapor snags
2x into the roil

Sorceries - 6
3x ponder  seems flavorful, Sphinx's do seem to ponder alot!
2x gitaxian probe
1x time warp

Artifact - 1
1x crystal ball  maybe elixir of immortality  here?

Lands - 24
2x glacial fortress
2x sejiri refuge
3x halimar depths
1x dread statuary
1x mystifying maze
5x plains
10x islands

Just noticed that I have 61 cards, doh, now what to take out!?

So this is what I got so far. I am using extra cards that I have lying around that is why there aren't 4 copies of glacial fortress  and what not. But I do have plenty of other cards, lands are just being used up in other decks.  Some other ideas that I had are: meddling mage, gwafa hazid, profiteer, and lighthouse chronologist. These seemed like fun creatures to play around with! Some other spells are: condemn, diminish, turn to frog, and dissipation field.  Please give me your thoughts on these cards and weather are not they could have a place in this deck or even better options that I am not aware of.  Elixir of immortality  seems like might be good here to, maybe?  Also would jace beleren  be good in this or maybe jace, memory adept.  JtMS  is out of the question because I already have a playset in my bolas deck and don't really want to shell out for another   I do not currently have consecrated sphinx  but feel like I should pick up a copy for this deck!

Please send your thoughts and suggestions, (what should come out or what doesn't quite fit the bill or maybe changes of #'s on what I have), I would like this to be fun and flavorful, yet also competitive!
I'd drop time warp, redirect, and hindering light
I'd add in that consecrated sphinx
Get more mana leak and if u like that effect, double up with rune snag.
U need a sweeper, wrath of god or day of judgment

Oh, and the augery owl is garbage, lol.
If you are running white, path to exile or swords to plowshares is excellent.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Yeah I thought about that, the sweeper that is. I still have at least one maybe 2 DoJ  around. I also thought about path to exile  but you don't think that it might help opponent to much with land for paying for mana leak? As far as the consecrated sphinx, I am in the process of getting one on ebay.  As I mentioned I am not very familar with this type of deck or how to best play it but I thought the sphinx's would be neat, something different from the usual angels, dragons, knights/soldiers, and what not. But do you think that I have enough card filtering or draw and tempo disruption? Would you replace the augury owl  with something like a meddling mageGwafalighthouse chronologist  or put extra spells in their space? Would you sideboard the redirects for things like uncounterable spells or using their spells to kill their own creatures or permanents? Same with hindering light, I thought the cantrip with it was nice, but these kind of build aren't familiar to me.

When I get all these things sorted I will update the list. I would like to know what to pull for the consecrated sphinx  though.  How about planeswalkers?

Oh and I pulled 1x wall of denial  to bring the deck down to 60 cards.
Depends on your meta what you need to play. In , you typically use a mix of draw like ponder, control via spot removal path to exile or oblivion ring and counterspells, while you prepare to drop a big game ender like your sphinxes. Pretty straightforward really

Okay, so how is this

Creatures - 13
4x delver of secrets
4x wall of denial
2x conundrum sphinx
2x sphinx of jwar isle
1x sphinx of magosi

Enchantments - 1
1x leyline of anticipation

Instants - 14
2x deprive
3x mana leak
3x negate
1x path to exile  will have more in SB (only have one free one at the moment)
3x vapor snag
2x into the roil

Sorceries - 7
2x gitaxian probe
3x ponder
1x day of judgment
1x time warp  I actually like this, when I play it, I normally win on the next turn

Artifact - 1
1x crystal ball

Lands - 24
2x glacial fortress
2x sejiri refuge
3x halimar depths
1x dread statuary
1x mystifying maze
5x plains
10x islands

After some playtesting, I did find that both redirect  and hindering light  could be dead cards. I also found out that mana leak  could be a dead card later in game. So I made changes to my counters.  I think redirect  would be great against burn decks, so it will go into the SB perhaps.  I guess I need to invest in some counterspells  to replace some of current counters. Ah, who knows, maybe one day they will reprint it. They did reprint lightning bolt  after all   Any other thoughts or suggestions? I guess meddling mage  would best as a SB card too?  Any other tricks that I may be missing? What are some of the best ways to play mono or mostly blue while creating the best card advantage?  And are spell pierceturn asidedispel,  viable 1 mana counters. What are the best ones, it is too bad that mental misstep  has been banned.

Well I guess I have some more playtesting to do with the current changes. Please the current critiques and suggestions coming!
I will take a closer look tmrw prob, gonna be a busy night! If you have the mana to play the time warp...could you not have just used the mana to win that turn? Just a thought.

Gotcha, okay thanks!  My idea or thinking on time warp  is that if I play it when I have at least 6 or more mana that I can ponder, scry with crystal ball,  play halimar depths  and set up my extra turn draw plus give me an extra 2 main phases and an extra combat phase. Say I have a sphinx out, preferably sphinx of jwar isle  because of shroud, I could swing for 5, cast time warp, arrange my draw and then enter my next turn to be able to use my draw and swing for another 5 before my opponent even gets to move. This would be done usually after opponent either taps out or swings all out, leaving me with two "surprise" turns. And besides, I figured that I am only running a single copy. 

But hey I must admit that I am not as comfortable or knowledgeable at playing with this style of deck. That is why I am trying to build my experience with it, and at same create an array of decks to play with and against for my own use and for friends, multiplayer etc. Yes I am actually trying to broaden my horizens as a still fairly new player with different styles and game plays!  So any advice is greatly appreciated as their are many more experienced player's on here than I! But hey, I am competitive and feel that I am not doing so bad
Sphinx of Magosi is even more mana-intensive to use than it appears.  I'd replace it either with more Conundrum Sphinx for draw (you should be able to easily stack this deck) or Sphinx of Jwar Isle for shrouded beats.  Perhaps rework the deck to feature a playset of each, just to be sure.

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Sphinx of Magosi is even more mana-intensive to use than it appears.  I'd replace it either with more Conundrum Sphinx for draw (you should be able to easily stack this deck) or Sphinx of Jwar Isle for shrouded beats.  Perhaps rework the deck to feature a playset of each, just to be sure.

Cheers!

Thanks for the response krichaiushii!  The sphinx of magosi,  as much as I like him is really kinda just holding the spot for when I acquire a consecrated sphinx  which seems to be a card advantage machine (though I have never acutally played with him).  I do agree about having another conundrum sphinx  though but not sure what I should remove, maybe one of my wall of denials?
I think cryptic command has a place here. If you don't like mana leak, rune snag curves really well into the late game. If you were to play all 4, having 9 mana up to simply cast a lightning bolt is silly.
I think you need more dig too.
This is what I came up with quick:

3x Wall of denial
2x conundrum sphinx
1x consecrated sphinx
1x sphinx of magosi

4x ponder
4x preordain
4x path to exile
4x mana leak
4x rune snag
4x oblivion ring
3x cryptic command
2x day of judgment

4x glacial fortress
4x seachrome coast
1x celestial collonade
10x island
5x plains

Sb for your meta. Prob 2 more DoJ's and what have you.
Actually this could be quite fun to play!

I think you may be right about cryptic command, I may have to pick up some copies (I am also looking at rune snags, they seem better than mana leaks) although that may take some time as I am currently spread thin with my budget on other cards for a different deck (Tezzeret and Transmuter). But I think I will sleeve up something similiar to this and try it.  I just thought that sphinx's seemed kinda cool and different. They are blue's beast from the air not the sea like leviathans and krakens.  It seems they would be Jace's  creature of choice to summon.

Thanks for the input Jnp! Oh and I have been reading your master of alara thread, bolas seems to be taking some heat! You know I love the deck but if they think that you need some earlier board position for modern, why not abyssal persecutor, maybe in place of some of your gatekeeper of malakirs post board for those decks that are not creature heavy. You already have other sac effect to get rid of him and counterspells to protect him if he stays on the board after the cast. Just a thought to what they were saying (although it could take bolas out of the equation by winning quicker   ) Also wanted to say that the phyrexian crusaders does work great as an alternate win con against some decks. They are also great against RDW for obvious reasons but also add protection from their onslaught for when you don't have that removal in hand, plus he can't be pathed

I know you are more seasoned at this game than me but I though that I would add a little insight and hope it helps!
Yes it has, but all good decks go through a vetting process. I think my choices are good ones, and testing keeps proving me right over any naysayers. I might use the phyrexian crusader over my phyrexian obliterator. The oblit is a very nasty guy to attack into if you are an aggro deck high on beats and low on removal, and RDW almost auto loses when he resolves. But if I hit him with a slagstorm I'm boned too. Course i do have my damnation. I need to test it more to see.
Glad you liked my quick build. Hope it helps!

I've found for control... the older the better. Everyone else seems to have the sphinxes covered. You can make a devastating control deck out of mono blue with 3 concepts: counter, copy, control.

For counter, ditch the spells that say unless they pay "x".. Use counters thatt are final. Counterspell, Cancel, Arcane Denial, Rewind are all good.
For Copy,.. Why have 4 of a creature when you couuld have 8?
Try: Clone, Cryptoplasm, or Dopplegangers.
For Control think,"Ooh...pretty. MINE!"
Try: Control Magic, Ray of Command & Confiscate.
And don't forget Boomerang and Unsummon.
Build it well and even 70 card deck can be a beast to get past.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Sorry... using my phone. I forgot to autocard.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I've found for control... the older the better. Everyone else seems to have the sphinxes covered. You can make a devastating control deck out of mono blue with 3 concepts: counter, copy, control. For counter, ditch the spells that say unless they pay "x".. Use counters thatt are final. Counterspell, Cancel, Arcane Denial, Rewind are all good. For Copy,.. Why have 4 of a creature when you couuld have 8? Try: Clone, Cryptoplasm, or Dopplegangers. For Control think,"Ooh...pretty. MINE!" Try: Control Magic, Ray of Command & Confiscate. And don't forget Boomerang and Unsummon. Build it well and even 70 card deck can be a beast to get past.

I get what you mean masterging, and I will definately have to keep these cards in mind if I deside to build a true blue control deck (one that a play group would prob hate to see, but good none the less)!

I haven't really seen sphinx's done anywhere yet and after reading novels like "Agents of Artiface", and "Test of Metal" (both great books BTW) you see the mention of sphinx's as magestic creatures summoned by Jace, or creatures of all knowing mystique such as Crucius the Mad or Kemuel the Ancient, (the Hidden One) or even Sharuum. So being intrigued by there mystic nature I am trying to build a deck that has an essence of their flavor but one that is also fun and capable of winning.

For example
delver of secrets  I know the card is a bug on one side but to delve for secrets seems like something one would do when confronting a Sphinx
wall of denial  Sphinx's seem to have a way of denying entrance of passage of certain tests if necessary
ponder  They definately seem to ponder a lot!
gitaxian probe  seem to know things about you before you do
time warp  some seem to have bountless time on there hands, seeming almost eternal
day of judgment  for when you actually cross them, same with path to exile
crystal ball  again with their all knowing nature
mystifying maze  Kemuel the Ancient was at the center of a labyrinth
All the counters and bounces are necessary for control plus as a way of saying Sphinx's are hard to take down and seem to control the situation before you even make a decision about what it is you were going to do. In essence they seem to be creatures teeming with vast knowledge!

I am still looking for ways to make the deck better and cryptic command  was suggested and does seem to fit both flavor wise and mechanically as a tool for winning! These are the kind of cards and strategeries (yes I made up that word, lol) that I am looking for. I know some can be replaced for better ones or in favor of extra quantities of certain current cards, (like ponder) I thinking of removing crystal ball  for the 4 copy of this card. I do think you for your response and any knowledge is good because blue control is a powerful format! 
Good deal. Those books were excellent and as geeky as it sounds have inspired a few decks of mine. I combo Time Warp with Panoptic Mirror. [c]Memnarrch is another NASTY card to thnk about too.

The Esper Sphinxes seem to work together best, but then you're looking at a WUB deck.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Sorry...Memnarch
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Sign In to post comments